BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    The Secretary of State for NI punts the deadline for formation of an Executive to 18th Jan 2024

*taps mic*

Is this thing on?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,014

The Secretary of State for NI punts the deadline for formation of an Executive to 18th Jan 2024

*taps mic*

Is this thing on?

'scuse my ignorance but is N.I. an experiment in how successful a country can run itself without politicians?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • The Secretary of State for NI punts the deadline for formation of an Executive to 18th Jan 2024

*taps mic*

Is this thing on?

"Deadline".
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662

Is this thing on?

I meant to post that it is both amazing and horrifying that even among people interested in Brxit that NI has dropped completely off the radar again...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    pblakeney said:

*taps mic*

Is this thing on?

'scuse my ignorance but is N.I. an experiment in how successful a country can run itself without politicians?
    Its an experiment in having politicians but no politic decisions or accountability

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    This lack of political decision making will come to a head again next week

Just before Stormont collapsed, they moved legislation to change organ donation to opt-out rather than opt-in. A law with unanimous support

However the final legislative stage wasn't complete and without it the law lapses

This law is known as Daithi's law after the young boy who's illness requires a transplant.

Daithi and his parents have, quite reasonably, been in the media for a month now, wanting to know what everyone is playing at.

So the DUP are scrambling to get it completed at Westminster

Sinn Fein are recalling the Assembly to debate the issue....which can only get as far as attempting to elect a speaker before the recall debate comes to an end

This is just one very public example of how paralysis has taken hold.

• pblakeney
    edited February 2023

pblakeney said:

*taps mic*

Is this thing on?

Its an experiment in having politicians but no politic decisions or accountability

I was going to say ends up being the same and ask how it was working out until reading about the boy. Must be time to turf out the lot of them.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,176

pblakeney said:

*taps mic*

Is this thing on?

from day one there should have been irrevocable loss of any salary/other payments to politicians who refused to participate, coupled with barring them from any eligibility from benefits
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pblakeney
    edited February 2023
    sungod said:

pblakeney said:

*taps mic*

Is this thing on?

from day one there should have been irrevocable loss of any salary/other payments to politicians who refused to participate, coupled with barring them from any eligibility from benefits
    That would focus their attention quite quickly.
    What they are doing is more or less going on strike.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • tailwindhome

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,664
    ddraver said:

Interesting. Easier for Starmer to sell that to his party than Sunak to his... having said that, if Sunak could, and sneak in a softening of the hard Brexit trajectory, it might make them a teensy weensy bit less unelectable, if it had a positive effect on trade. Though probably waaay too late for the next election, even if he got it snuck.
  • briantrumpet
    I'm expecting gnashing of teeth, given that I suspect that the loons wanted to use the NI Protocol as the weapon to blow everything up.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,762
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Sherelle Jacobs has definitely gone to the dark side in the Telegraph. She's not even going for the "It's too early to tell" option.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/02/13/brexit-finally-dead-tory-party-will-soon-suffer-fate/

The cliché goes that “time is running out” to make something of Brexit. But on Thursday Feb 9, the last speck of sand in the hourglass finally fell. It really is all over. And how fitting that Brexit was finally condemned to death in the gilded splendour of Ditchley Park – a discreet yet decadent retreat for this country’s most powerful since the reign of Elizabeth I.

Of course, the status-quo order is trying to be subtle, even polite, about its magnificent triumph over Leaver populism. Last week’s gathering – which saw executives of major banks commune with senior political figures on both sides of the Brexit debate, including Michael Gove and David Lammy – wasn’t particularly secret, despite some attempts to hype it up as so. It also took place under a fairly bland working title: “How can we make Brexit work better with our neighbours in Europe?”

But let’s not be naive. The exchange dwelled heavily on the fact that “Brexit is not delivering”, and there was broad support for a closer relationship with the EU. In other words, both sides agreed that the dream of meaningful divergence had fallen into a deep coma. A proverbial contract to switch off the project’s life-support machine was subsequently signed. Not that Brexit’s demise was all part of some elaborate plot; the project has been mortally wounded for some time, and there simply wasn’t the political will to save it.

• briantrumpet
    edited February 2023
    It's not passed Tarzan by that the Telegraph is getting a downer on Brexit.

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,891
    Is Talk TV like Talk radio for people who can't maintain attention without moving pictures?
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,508
    In a similar vein . . .

https://youtu.be/aEA3RF5UZc0
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,814
    edited February 2023
    monkimark said:

Is Talk TV like Talk radio for people who can't maintain attention without moving pictures?

I think it's a place where they put cameras in front of Piers Morgan and tell him there's people still watching him. Public service broadcasting in its truest sense.
  • pblakeney

monkimark said:

I think it's a place where they put cameras in front of Piers Morgan and tell him there's people still watching him. Public service broadcasting in its truest sense.
    I wouldn't even know of it's existence if it wasn't for what is posted on this site.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    Quite apart from anything, if I'm as cogent as Heseltine when I'm nearly 90 (if I make it that far), and have the energy to be impassioned about anything at all, I'll be delighted.
  • pblakeney said:

monkimark said:

I wouldn't even know of it's existence if it wasn't for what is posted on this site.
    Doing its job perfectly then.
  • briantrumpet
    Ain't that the truth?

Brexit will never be done, because the relationship with Europe is a process of constant negotiation, the terms of which are determined by strategic interests, history, economics and geography. Treaties can describe degrees of political closeness or distance, but they cannot alter the duty of a British prime minister to build trusting alliances with the nation’s nearest neighbours. There will, by necessity, one day be a prime minister who is capable of that task. It wasn’t Mr Johnson or Liz Truss. Nor, it seems, is it likely to be Mr Sunak.

Pragmatism will, eventually win out, even if the headbangers carry on banging their heads for a while yet.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/15/the-guardian-view-on-britain-and-europe-brexit-is-never-done
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Remember, they knew what they voted for.
    And fish, never forget the fish. British fish.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • tailwindhome
    Sunak en route to NI to present his deal to the NI parties

• tailwindhome
    Imagine having stones this big

• briantrumpet
    Telegraph trigger bingo.

He turns off commenting on his Twitter feed for good reason. 'Dissembling dangerous idiot' would be a kind description of his talents.
  • tailwindhome
    Very much enjoying the Tory ERG MPs and grandees demanding Sunak stands firm in scrapping the Protocol they voted for in 2019
  • I can’t wait for the interviews with Sammy Wilson 😂