BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited January 2023
    As if the EU would have the UK. Lol.

I think if they spelled out what rejoining meant, in that it would not be the arrangement Britain had before, then it would be a very different poll.

Of the actual specific practical possibilities, I suspect the most support would be for membership of single market and customs union.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,221
    Yeah, I don't think I would vote to rejoin under the terms we'd be likely to get but definitely feels we should look for some kind of single market arrangement. I think the UK will have done a good job of deterring any other countries that were thinking of leaving.
  • As if the EU would have the UK. Lol.

I think if they spelled out what rejoining meant, in that it would not be the arrangement Britain had before, then it would be a very different poll.

Of the actual specific practical possibilities, I suspect the most support would be for membership of single market and customs union.

it amazes me that after all this time you still over estimate the intelligence of the UK electorate.

Give me one example of something that has happened over the last 6 years that makes you think there would be a reasoned debate and consideration of the "actual specific practical possibilities"

This is a country that socked it to the establishment elite by voting for Boris and then was heartened to see that their lead negotiator wore Union Jack socks.

How about - since Brexit we allow an extra 200,000 Bangladeshi/Pakistan and Indian immigrants per year if we don't stop this soon they will outnumber us and 2 billion more will be coming this way.

So my bus slogan would be "vote join and stop 350 million Indians a week
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    I'm still unconvinced much would change. Just like with Ukraine, the size of the political win of Britain sheepishly rejoining would more than trump any grievances about the euro etc...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,014
    We should never have left as we had the dream deal which will never be offered again.
    Looking forward. Joining the EU means the Euro so will never be voted for. Trade deals is the best we can do.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    naah.....
    - @ddraver
  • BritishVolt a company described by Boris as driving our green industrial revolution and a key component in us becoming a global hub for EV manufacturing.

BritishVolt a company described as having no money, no product and not a single customer.

Today we see the winner of the contest between boosterism and reality.

Genuine chapeau to Shapps for refusing to keep funding them
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,586

BritishVolt a company described by Boris as driving our green industrial revolution and a key component in us becoming a global hub for EV manufacturing.

BritishVolt a company described as having no money, no product and not a single customer.

I don't understand the noise. They had an idea and they failed to finance it. Hardly unprecedented.
  • BritishVolt a company described by Boris as driving our green industrial revolution and a key component in us becoming a global hub for EV manufacturing.

I don't understand the noise. They had an idea and they failed to finance it. Hardly unprecedented.
    It was a big flagship of Brexit and levelling up and a demonstration of how Govts can make a difference.

It is more than symbolic as rules of origin mean that if UK car manufacturers want to export cars then they will need UK made batteries. We currently only have battery capacity for one third of projected EV cars.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,175

BritishVolt a company described by Boris as driving our green industrial revolution and a key component in us becoming a global hub for EV manufacturing.

agreed

always struck me as another one those jumping on the post-brexit opportunity to extract tax-payers' money from a desperate brexiter government (see also: freeports)

if investors believed in the company and it's prospects in the uk, it'd have attracted funding
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    The UKIP band trying to get a foothold in Ireland

Hermann Kelly - former UKIP spin doctor

And you're familiar with this one

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,221
    Nice to see Buster Merryfield there, thought he died years ago.

Huge protest that, it could bring down the Government. It’s not like the Irish have a history of being immigrants so you can see why they would speak out.
  • tailwindhome
    edited January 2023
    Pross said:

Nice to see Buster Merryfield there, thought he died years ago.

Huge protest that, it could bring down the Government. It’s not like the Irish have a history of being immigrants so you can see why they would speak out.

Starting to get a foothold in Dublin where there's high immigration and high housing costs. Protests outside hotels accommodating immigrants.

The usual right wing playbook
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • The UKIP band trying to get a foothold in Ireland

Saw this on RTE when I was in Monaghan yesterday.

‘Ireland is full’ when there’s 4 cranks protesting in an empty street. Ireland is the fastest growing economy in Europe and have been one of the biggest beneficiaries of Brexit.

The irony of Brexit being largely responsible for a growing economy, Sinn Fein being the largest party in NI, likely to be the party in power in ROI and unification being closer then it has ever been is still lost on the DUP.

That’s some cutting your nose off to spite your face.
  • tailwindhome

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,538

It's going to be fun explaining to future generations how a politician who never won a seat, and whose party never won a seat in a GE, was able to force through a project that really censored the country.

• rick_chasey
    Fwiw Italy is handing out monster tax breaks for the first bunch of years when you move.

Heard a good story of guys who were about to sell business for billions (in London). It was in the pipeline for more than a year.

Anyway, they managed to all move to Italy and get residency there just before it closed, and to celebrate they had quite the ludicrous debauched party that befitted the island they did it on; Capri.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,762

Fwiw Italy is handing out monster tax breaks for the first bunch of years when you move.

Heard a good story of guys who were about to sell business for billions (in London). It was in the pipeline for more than a year.

Anyway, they managed to all move to Italy and get residency there just before it closed, and to celebrate they had quite the ludicrous debauched party that befitted the island they did it on; Capri.

Seem to recall not that long ago you refusing to believe that tax could influence things like where people base themselves or their businesses. Have you changed your mind now?

Also would this sort of thing not constitute tax avoidance of some sort in your mind? It was only the other day that Cake Stop was up in arms about a government minister allegedly using Gibraltar to reduce his tax bill ;)

And yet this is a 'good story'....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tailwindhome

The UKIP band trying to get a foothold in Ireland

GB News join in

• rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Seem to recall not that long ago you refusing to believe that tax could influence things like where people base themselves or their businesses. Have you changed your mind now?

Also would this sort of thing not constitute tax avoidance of some sort in your mind? It was only the other day that Cake Stop was up in arms about a government minister allegedly using Gibraltar to reduce his tax bill ;)

I think you’ve misunderstood what qualifies as a good story and I stand by that tax competition is a net cost to the world.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,762

Stevo_666 said:

I think you’ve misunderstood what qualifies as a good story and I stand by that tax competition is a net cost to the world.
    Explain the difference then.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,409
    edited January 2023
    It is a dilema. Given the public debt, as society we want / need everyone to pay all tax due, without blatant avoindance. However on an individual basis we all (legitimately) want to minimise our tax burden. So some sympathy with Rick's views.
  • ddraver
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Explain the difference then.
    Tax details - boring story

Lying about them, while in government, while lecturing the public about how everyone will have to tighten their belts, while chancellor - Biiiig story, frothing journalists, bad interviews, resignations. The Works.

If every detail was identical save for the colour of Zahawi's rosette, I don't think we need to guess what side you'd be on...
    - @ddraver
  • There was a story last weem that the number of people in the EU earning over £1m had gone up 40% which euates to about 500 people.

That does not sound much but it equates to approx £250m in taxes. Now that does not sound much but I reckon that if you assume the average joe pays £5k in tax a year then it is the equivalent of creating/losing 50,000 jobs
  • Fwiw Italy is handing out monster tax breaks for the first bunch of years when you move.

There are many people who believe in trickle down economics
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,891
    Presumably those people haven't gone from earning nothing to earning £1m though?
    I'd guess that they were earning just under a million last year and just over a million this year so the tax income hasn't gone up all that much.

There was a story last weem that the number of people in the EU earning over £1m had gone up 40% which euates to about 500 people.

That does not sound much but it equates to approx £250m in taxes. Now that does not sound much but I reckon that if you assume the average joe pays £5k in tax a year then it is the equivalent of creating/losing 50,000 jobs

• monkimark said:

Presumably those people haven't gone from earning nothing to earning £1m though?
    I'd guess that they were earning just under a million last year and just over a million this year so the tax income hasn't gone up all that much.

There was a story last weem that the number of people in the EU earning over £1m had gone up 40% which euates to about 500 people.

sorry, should have been more clear. They have moved from the UK
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,144

I think your assumptions are off. Effective tax rate at average salary is nearly 24% + VAT, Council tax and VED. Alternatively divide overall revenue by taxpayer population.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tailwindhome