BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,918
    Jezyboy said:

How come Hannan has only been an MEP and not an MP. Given the dearth of talent, I would have thought he had done enough (successful) self publicity do deserve a safeish seat and possibly a cabinet position.

Grifters prefer MEP work as there’s no constituency work
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,759

Stevo_666 said:

Combined with Starmer talking about red lines about FoM and the Single Market, it's hard to feel optimistic about the UK's prospects about digging itself out of the hole it dug for itself.

Maybe time to finally let it go then? One day the message will get through ;)

It would be a dereliction of duty to stop arguing for things that would improve the prospects for the UK. Just because they are politically problematic at the moment doesn't mean they are impossible. They are only impossible if people accept the status quo as being the only option.

So, no, I won't let it go.
    Given how frugal you are Brian, I hate to see you wasting your energy like this :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Has Stevo worked out yet that Brexit has meant that the tax burden is now higher for the same state provision?

• Has Stevo worked out yet that Brexit has meant that the tax burden is now higher for the same state provision?

I'm sure Stevo will limit himself to describing the reference to "Pound-Euro" parity as Eurob*llocks.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,759

Has Stevo worked out yet that Brexit has meant that the tax burden is now higher for the same state provision?

There is of course the question of how it was calculated and how many innocent numbers were tortured in order to tell the story (a bit like the recent episode of Carneybollox, now widely disregarded).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,723

I'm sure Stevo will limit himself to describing the reference to "Pound-Euro" parity as Eurob*llocks.
    That's as far as I got.
  • wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,081
    edited November 2022

That's as far as I got.
    I struggle to understand why anyone, let alone a FT editor, would allow such palpable nonsense to be attributed to their name. There's a lot objectively wrong with the UK, some of it directly attributable to Brexit. And there's also a lot of things that are subjectively wrong, or subjectively right, depending on how one is motivated to argue. But the exchange rate is unambiguously nowhere ****ing near parity (and only got close recently due to rank stupidity from Truss and Kwasi, unrelated to Brexit) and making reference to such parity makes no sense at all, unless the journalist's motivation is to generate "clicks" at whatever cost to their reputation.
  • Pound euro parity is not in the article. Weird way to tweet about the article.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,915

Pound euro parity is not in the article. Weird way to tweet about the article.

Not if you want clicks though.
    I pretty much regard all headlines as clickbait.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    I did think about not sharing the tweet and just the text, but the image quality on here is so bad no-one would read it.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,101
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Combined with Starmer talking about red lines about FoM and the Single Market, it's hard to feel optimistic about the UK's prospects about digging itself out of the hole it dug for itself.

Maybe time to finally let it go then? One day the message will get through ;)

It would be a dereliction of duty to stop arguing for things that would improve the prospects for the UK. Just because they are politically problematic at the moment doesn't mean they are impossible. They are only impossible if people accept the status quo as being the only option.

So, no, I won't let it go.
    Given how frugal you are Brian, I hate to see you wasting your energy like this :smile:

Keeps me warm when the heating's off.
  • TheBigBean

Pound euro parity is not in the article. Weird way to tweet about the article.

There were times in the middle of the last decade when a British pound was worth €1.4. For most of the period since then, the rate has hovered around €1.1. What can you do, as a Remainer, other than salute Brexit for hitching us closer to our European brothers and sisters? The ultimate dream, that of parity, is alive yet.
  • briantrumpet
    This, I think, could sum up a not-completely-impossible trajectory from where we are:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/nov/29/keir-starmer-softer-brexit-labour-leader-leave-voters-remainers

For it’s a long, long haul from here to anything like the relationship with Europe we once had, assuming that it will be 2028 at least before any major party dares to stand on a remain-friendly platform of pointing out the bleeding obvious. By then we will have had 12 wasted years of missed opportunities, and the EU may have moved on far enough without us that rejoining no longer seems realistic.

But those of us who have endured three failed versions of Brexit already – under Theresa May, Johnson and Liz Truss respectively – are still being asked to sit patiently through at least a couple more, just to prove definitively that the thing we always said would be a disaster is in fact a disaster. If he’s lucky, Starmer will find most Labour remainers are now desperate enough to get rid of this current government that they’ll grit their teeth and fall in behind him, hoping he’ll be bolder in power than in opposition. But he shouldn’t take that goodwill for granted.
  • Pound euro parity is not in the article. Weird way to tweet about the article.

There were times in the middle of the last decade when a British pound was worth €1.4. For most of the period since then, the rate has hovered around €1.1. What can you do, as a Remainer, other than salute Brexit for hitching us closer to our European brothers and sisters? The ultimate dream, that of parity, is alive yet.
    Ah OK.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    ddraver said:

I think 'Norway' is more likely, not least as the SSD isn't liked by the EU. But it'll take time, whatever. It would be quite amusing, in a black comedy way, that if we were to be a Norway, we'd be even more of a 'rule-taker' than if we'd stayed in on the terms we had.
  • briantrumpet
    Somehow 52/48 seems a rather quaint way to decide the fate of a nation.

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,600

Somehow 52/48 seems a rather quaint way to decide the fate of a nation.

who'd have thought

brexit was never about the british people, it was driven by cameron's pathetic pandering to extremists in the tory party and their often non-dom/non-british backers/media barons

as lydon said, ever get the feeling you’ve been cheated
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    edited December 2022
    This is better.

(says quite a lot that it seems in any way remarkable but...here we are...)

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,915
    edited December 2022
    I notice that Rishi wishes best of luck for the next round, not the tournament. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

I notice that Rishi wishes best of luck for the next round, not the tournament. 😉

I guess his mindset is just making it to the next round of politics without being scuppered by the Brexit loons.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-63907702

It’s OK, UK is not adopting the USB-C law.

Article points it out as an NI flashpoint but It just seems like the article is looking for a point of conflict. We will simply be dictated to by a de facto global standard.

Not that there will be many new devices about not using USB-C by then but, it does allow UK to be the TK Max of unsold electronics that don’t have USB-C.
  • sungod
    morstar said:

Article points it out as an NI flashpoint but It just seems like the article is looking for a point of conflict. We will simply be dictated to by a de facto global standard.

Not that there will be many new devices about not using USB-C by then but, it does allow UK to be the TK Max of unsold electronics that don’t have USB-C.

post-brexit reality is that uk is a rule taker not a rule maker, it will just have to accept the rules of the major trading blocs

mandating usb-c is a good move, there's been way too much tat with pointless variations in connectors/chargers, especially given that the vast majority are likely to only use the connection for charging
  • morstar
    sungod said:

morstar said:

post-brexit reality is that uk is a rule taker not a rule maker, it will just have to accept the rules of the major trading blocs

mandating usb-c is a good move, there's been way too much tat with pointless variations in connectors/chargers, especially given that the vast majority are likely to only use the connection for charging
    Agree completely.

But I do love the idea of some Brexiteer thinking up a ‘better’ UK specific charger standard.

• briantrumpet
    morstar said:

sungod said:

morstar said:

Agree completely.

But I do love the idea of some Brexiteer thinking up a ‘better’ UK specific charger standard.

The lead will be six feet long rather than two metres. Obvs.
  • sungod
    morstar said:

sungod said:

morstar said:

Agree completely.

:smiley:

• morstar said:

sungod said:

morstar said:

Agree completely.

They cracked on with UKCA so I’d put nothing past them…….
  • TheBigBean
    Can't see a downside of the UK's position on USB-C. Everything will be USB-C unless there is a good reason for it not to be in which case, it doesn't have to be. Really not something governments should be regulating.
  • morstar

Can't see a downside of the UK's position on USB-C. Everything will be USB-C unless there is a good reason for it not to be in which case, it doesn't have to be. Really not something governments should be regulating.

We’ve discussed it before and we don’t quite agree on the last point but I do agree the UK doing nothing is a sensible position.

My reason for posting was more the way the article tried to look for potential problems by bringing up NI.

Unless somebody in UK is insane enough to want our own law, the standard has been dictated to us and we accept it.

Making our own law would be a total waste of time. Making it a protocol issue would also be ridiculous.