BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604
    morstar said:

Can't see a downside of the UK's position on USB-C. Everything will be USB-C unless there is a good reason for it not to be in which case, it doesn't have to be. Really not something governments should be regulating.

We’ve discussed it before and we don’t quite agree on the last point but I do agree the UK doing nothing is a sensible position.

My reason for posting was more the way the article tried to look for potential problems by bringing up NI.

Unless somebody in UK is insane enough to want our own law, the standard has been dictated to us and we accept it.

Making our own law would be a total waste of time. Making it a protocol issue would also be ridiculous.
    This puts it firmly in the modern Conservative wheelhouse and we should be very concerned.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    pangolin said:

morstar said:

Can't see a downside of the UK's position on USB-C. Everything will be USB-C unless there is a good reason for it not to be in which case, it doesn't have to be. Really not something governments should be regulating.

We’ve discussed it before and we don’t quite agree on the last point but I do agree the UK doing nothing is a sensible position.

My reason for posting was more the way the article tried to look for potential problems by bringing up NI.

Unless somebody in UK is insane enough to want our own law, the standard has been dictated to us and we accept it.

Making our own law would be a total waste of time. Making it a protocol issue would also be ridiculous.
    This puts it firmly in the modern Conservative wheelhouse and we should be very concerned.
    That is the concern.
    The fact the article draws attention to the protocol makes me fear that is where some people’s heads are at.

Why can I buy 2 year old new old stock in mainland Britain but not NI? This isn’t the Brexit I voted for!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Sunak putting the Protocol Bill on ice is causing bigger concern in NI than phone chargers
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Another court judgment due in Belfast this morning

The DUP agri minister (Poots) gave his civil servants an instruction to cease Protocol checks. They ignored him, saying to comply would be to break the law. Sinn Fein, via a proxy, challenged the legally of Poots instruction

That's were it gets 'interesting'.

Lawyers for Poots are claiming that the wording of the agreement is such that these checks aren't required

Politically the case is important too

Firstly the government are arguing for implementation of a Protocol they are trying to scrap

Secondly, if the court says the Agri minister is legally obligated to do these checks, the DUP will argue that ie justification for keeping the Assembly down
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited December 2022
    Increasingly feel about NI politics as I do about US politics.

I suspect this has been the Westminster position for a long long time.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,014

I suspect Westminster would really like for N.I. to just go away, but can't say so.
    Must have posted these musings before...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tailwindhome

Stealing that meme
  • tailwindhome

Its quite the mess both Brexiteer and Remainer have left in NI, now they've lost interest

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,586

Its quite the mess both Brexiteer and Remainer have left in NI, now they've lost interest

You're blaming remainers now?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

• tailwindhome

They want to be taking that shit round Uxbridge and South Ruislip
  • I have a genuine Brexit benefit as after 13 years the missus has rejoined the workforce after getting a job as a TA in a hard core special needs school.

Post Brexit it turns out that you no longer need qualifications or experience and can chose your days and hours
  • morstar

I have a genuine Brexit benefit as after 13 years the missus has rejoined the workforce after getting a job as a TA in a hard core special needs school.

Post Brexit it turns out that you no longer need qualifications or experience and can chose your days and hours

It’s the penguin theory.

The more people they can huddle into schools throughout winter the better.

Come April…
  • tailwindhome

• morstar

If Sunak can navigate a constructive end to the saga with some level of quiet acceptance, it will be a sound bit of statesmanship.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,661
    morstar said:

If Sunak can navigate a constructive end to the saga with some level of quiet acceptance, it will be a sound bit of statesmanship.

I still find it bemusing how a sectarian and bigoted NI party held the Tories to ransom, when they didn't need their votes, unless the endgame for UK Brexiters was to use NI as the hand-grenade to blow up the entire arms dump which was the Brexit that Johnson & Frost had negotiated.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,175

Still, cheer up. Farridge is now a comedian.

the traitor admits treason

in more enlightened times, we'd have put his head on a pike by now
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,891
    Nobody wants to look at his face when it's attached to him, I doubt decapitation would improve the aesthetic.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    monkimark said:

Nobody wants to look at his face when it's attached to him, I doubt decapitation would improve the aesthetic.

Maybe not but it would improve the person.
  • briantrumpet
    monkimark said:

Anyway, he'll be hiding in Germany clutching his German passport, so we'd probably need to go the the European Court to secure his extradition for his trial.

• Fingers crossed. As stated above, would be a massive feather in the cap of Sunak if he pulls it off. Fair play to him.
  • tailwindhome
    Rishi 'pulling this off' will be and is almost entirely a party management issue

That deal has been on the table since 2016 and is everything the Tory battle fought against

It's also what the Labour Party will do the moment the come to power
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207

Rishi 'pulling this off' will be and is almost entirely a party management issue

That deal has been on the table since 2016 and is everything the Tory battle fought against

It's also what the Labour Party will do the moment the come to power

Does it solve things though if the DUP aren’t on board and refuse to get the NI Assembly functioning again?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Probably not but taking this artifact into account...

Do Westminster care?

Do it, solve the problem, big win* for them, DUP can't do anything about it except moan

(*it will be portrayed as such regardless...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver

• This is exceptional. Possibly worth £1 million pound…….over 5 years 😂😂😂
  • briantrumpet

This is exceptional. Possibly worth £1 million pound…….over 5 years 😂😂😂

I had to check that this wasn't a parody account.

Well, it must be, but not intentionally.
  • tailwindhome
    In which Frosty makes a case for Scottish independence and admits he couldn't 'get it done' in the negotiations