BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    In which Frosty inadvertently admits his deal is shabby and indefensible

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ha I’ve muted anything containing “David Frost” on twitter.

He’s arguing in the telegraph for more populist politics.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,661

Ha I’ve muted anything containing “David Frost” on twitter.

He’s arguing in the telegraph for more populist politics.

It shows how thick he is, or how thick he thinks the people who read this codswallop are, when he talks about educating children in a 'non-political way', given that most education is 'political' in some way or another, especially when it comes to values and history. I think we all know what he means by 'non-political'.
  • tailwindhome
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
  • briantrumpet
    Haha.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/01/04/nobody-wants-confront-truth-britain-becoming-poor-country/

The sorry truth is that Britain’s fall from grace has been more extreme, more sudden, less explicable and far less forgivable. We should be doing so much better, especially after Brexit.

Was he really stupid enough to write that?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,014
    edited January 2023

Haha.

Wait till he finds out that things are worse than that.
    Britain is not just poor, it is broken. And Brexit made it worse.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Haha.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/01/04/nobody-wants-confront-truth-britain-becoming-poor-country/

The sorry truth is that Britain’s fall from grace has been more extreme, more sudden, less explicable and far less forgivable. We should be doing so much better, especially after Brexit.

I Googled him and it turns out he is a bustard frenchie who came over here, stole our jobs and is now doing down our great country!!!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited January 2023
    He lists his recreations as family which is a bit worrying.
  • webboo said:

He lists his recreations as family which is a bit worrying.

probably wanted to write "strangling geese" but thought it would go down badly with his readership
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,144

Haha.

I Googled him and it turns out he is a bustard frenchie who came over here, stole our jobs and is now doing down our great country!!!
    And is younger than most of us.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    Cautiously good news re NI - it doesn't sound unbridgeable...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jan/09/ni-protocol-uk-and-eu-agree-deal-on-trade-data-sharing

But there are concerns that both sides still have serious differences to reconcile. An EU official cautioned that other issues – agreement on customs, plant, animal and food checks, and the role of the European court of justice – were still unsolved.

EU sources played down the significance of reaching an agreement ahead of the 25th anniversary, saying the EU had never put emphasis on hard deadlines, although it hoped for an agreement as soon as possible.

The dispute between the UK and the EU centres on two key issues: checks on goods and the role of the European court of justice in the event of disputes. The UK has proposed a “green channel” at ports allowing goods remaining in Northern Ireland to be waved through without any customs paperwork, with a red channel for lorries destined for the Republic of Ireland.

It believes the paperwork suppliers complete for ferry or plane operators gives the EU enough data and would weed out smugglers if complemented by trusted trader schemes and fines for noncompliance.

The EU has proposed a similar “express lane”, but with UK suppliers continuing to complete customs paperwork.

It argues that it needs this to help analyse what goods, for example, go to factories for the production of goods being sold in the single market.
  • briantrumpet
    Meanwhile:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/01/09/wake-support-rejoining-eu-has-reached-critical-level/

Brexiteers should not mistake the Westminster consensus as evidence that the debate over Europe has ended. The last three months of political and economic turbulence have not only witnessed a slump in the Conservatives’ standing in the polls but also seen support for being outside the EU drop to its lowest level since the 2016 EU referendum.

That support was already on the slide even before Liz Truss’ administration began to fall apart. The first cracks began to appear the previous autumn in the wake of petrol shortages and empty supermarket shelves that were blamed on a lack of EU lorry drivers. However, in October the average level of support for staying out of the EU fell below 45 per cent for the first time – and it has not recovered since. The last half dozen polls put the figure at just 42 per cent, while as many as 58 per cent say they would now vote to join the EU.

True, most of those who voted Leave in 2016 still say they would vote to stay out. However, at 74 per cent, the proportion who would do so is eleven points down on a year ago. In contrast, as many as 80 per cent of those who in 2016 voted Remain say they would vote to rejoin, a figure that has largely held steady over the last two years. The oft-made suggestion that most Remainers have come to terms with Brexit receives little support in the polls.

Why have some Leave voters changed their mind? The polls point to one principal culprit – a loss of confidence in the economic consequences of Brexit.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome

Re NI talks, I wonder what's going on here...

SF are the only all Ireland party.

Mary Lou McDonald is the leader of SF, Michelle O Neill is the 'leader in the North'

McDonald is from Dublin and is not elected in NI.

The UK argument is two fold.

Only NI politicians were invited
    The UK FS shouldn't meet with the leader of the official Irish opposition

SF argument is xxxx you, we decide who represent us in a meeting

Both sides have a point, both sides being petty

• briantrumpet

Re NI talks, I wonder what's going on here...

SF are the only all Ireland party.

Mary Lou McDonald is the leader of SF, Michelle O Neill is the 'leader in the North'

McDonald is from Dublin and is not elected in NI.

The UK argument is two fold.

Only NI politicians were invited
    The UK FS shouldn't meet with the leader of the official Irish opposition

SF argument is xxxx you, we decide who represent us in a meeting

Both sides have a point, both sides being petty

Thanks... that's sort of how I was reading it, but good to have your perspective.
  • tailwindhome
    Government using a statutory instrument to take the powers back from the Assembly to build the border posts in Belfast
  • tailwindhome
    Labour have said they'll back a Protocol deal.

Have told Sunak it's time for him to stand up to the ERG

Better late than never I suppose.

• briantrumpet

Labour have said they'll back a Protocol deal.

Have told Sunak it's time for him to stand up to the ERG

Better late than never I suppose.

Looks like smart politics on Labour's part, leaving Sunak in a bit of a dilemma.
  • briantrumpet
    That'd be one bonkers piece of ERGism out of the way... maybe pragmatism is just creeping back, step by step

• briantrumpet
    I think this is a decent summing up of where things stand politically...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jan/13/meanwhile-brexit-second-thoughts-take-voters-where-parties-wont-follow

As the elections expert Prof John Curtice put it in a blogpost last week, “rather than looking like an unchallenged ‘fait accompli’, Brexit now appears to be a subject on which a significant body of voters has had second thoughts”.

Crucially, his analysis shows that the shift has been mainly driven not by changes in the makeup of the electorate – with younger voters coming of age, for example – but by leavers changing their minds.

With Labour running 20 points ahead in the polls, and public attention focused squarely on the state of the economy and public services, Prof Rob Ford, of Manchester University, said Starmer’s reluctance to focus on Brexit was understandable.

“This is a country with a rather large collection of ongoing dumpster fires, right here, in domestic politics,” he says. “Some of them are contributed to by Brexit, yes, but rejoining is a long-term project.”

Even the Lib Dems, whose hearts lie firmly inside the EU, believe there is little to be gained from using up precious airtime attacking Brexit, when the public is more focused on more immediate crises – and already very receptive to the argument that the government is to blame.

Ford, who is the co-author of the book Brexitland, about the politics of leaving the EU, argues that any plan to rejoin now would be likely to hit a brick wall in Brussels anyway.

Prof Paula Surridge, of Bristol University, said Labour would be very keen not to alienate the very voters they hoped to win over – but where public opinion leads, politicians may eventually follow.

“The main thing for Labour is that there is no need to shout about it at the moment,” she said. “There’s a a sense of, well, the voters will come to their own conclusions on this, and then there might be some space later.”
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,175

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

brexiters are a bunch of woke snowflakes with three defining characteristics:

1 - whining
    2 - lying
    3 - claiming all brexit problems are someone else's fault

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pblakeney
    edited January 2023
    "It was @Keir_Starmer & his friends who forced the Surrender Act on us in 2019. "
    "Forced" on a party with an 80 seat majority? Blatant nonsense.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

"It was
    @Keir_Starmer
    & his friends who forced the Surrender Act on us in 2019. "

The delusion of him (or lying) is thoroughly pointed out in the thread.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

"It was
    @Keir_Starmer

Probably.
    I've increased my quality of life simply by not reading Twitter threads.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • tailwindhome
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

"It was
    @Keir_Starmer

Probably.
    I've increased my quality of life simply by not reading Twitter threads.
    I am largely of the same opinion but looked at this one to see where the land lay.
    95+% were telling him he was talking nonsense and quoting himself to prove his lie. Properly shot down.
    I was curious to see what the enabler responses were. There were none. Amusingly, the handful of pro Brexit responders were of the opinion the problems are because Brexit was too soft.
  • briantrumpet
    I think an alien has taken over Sherelle Jacobs' body:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/01/16/britain-going-rejoin-eu-farsooner-anyone-now-imagines/

Unsurprisingly, the polls have shifted significantly in favour of Remain: while 54 per cent now think that it was wrong to leave the EU, only 35 per cent maintain that it was the right decision.

This may not mean that voters have any appetite for rejoining yet. But if we do so, it will not be as the result of an elaborate elite conspiracy. Sir Keir Starmer’s insistence that the matter is settled may well be genuine. But the political sands are shifting in ways that make a closer relationship with the EU inevitable. The Labour Party, to secure its longevity over the next generation, still has to win back Scottish – largely Remain – votes with a big political gesture. Should support for Brexit continue to plummet in the Red Wall, a policy change may become irresistible.

What of the Tories – the party that little over three years ago received a historic mandate to “get Brexit done”? If the first elephant in the room is that Brexit’s days are numbered, then the second is that the Conservative brand cannot possibly survive such an ignominious outcome. Could we finally see the emergence of a new centre-Right party that genuinely has a chance of taking power? As the revolution goes up in flames, this may be the only thing that can save it.

Anyway, Stevo was right: the Telegraph is indeed embracing different views.