BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,547
    More of that interview... so the next pie-in-the-sky nonsense, now that Singapore-on-Thames has been ditched, is some miraculous UK Silicon Valley reinvention for the UK.

• More of that interview... so the next pie-in-the-sky nonsense, now that Singapore-on-Thames has been ditched, is some miraculous UK Silicon Valley reinvention for the UK.

Isn't it strange how people perceive things differently.

Far from being skewered I thought that Hunt made a good fist of defending the indefensible and that is even with the comedy editing.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,210
    edited November 2022

More of that interview... so the next pie-in-the-sky nonsense, now that Singapore-on-Thames has been ditched, is some miraculous UK Silicon Valley reinvention for the UK.

Far from being skewered I thought that Hunt made a good fist of defending the indefensible and that is even with the comedy editing.
    The central premise is just self-contradictory bollox. He's saying we need all the higher taxes and spending cuts because of what the OBR forecasts, but he doesn't accept their forecast.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet

Yeah, I think he think he does passibly well given the impossible brief - at least he doesn't do the non-sequiturs of Sunak et al pivoting to "but the migrants!" etc., and is able to form cogent sentences. But there's a lot of blinking going on, which often seems to signify the internal BS-awareness-meter is pinging to 'high'.
  • rjsterry said:

The central premise is just self-contradictory bollox. He's saying we need all the higher taxes and spending cuts because of what the OBR forecasts, but he doesn't accept their forecast.
    his argument is that the OBR forecast assumes the Govt does nothing which as they have laid out no concrete plans is reasonable.

I obviously do not agree with him but I think contrary to the headline I think he does a better job than I have seen in a long while.

I thought it was quite Starmeresque in the attempt to answer the question so maybe there is hope
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,210
    This is the trouble. The bar has been set so low that we're now just happy to hear someone who can join two sentences together.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    Who'd have thought...?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/26/brexit-britain-japan-trade-deal-exports-slump

The first major free trade agreement signed by Britain after Brexit has been branded a failure after new figures showed exports had fallen since it came into force.

Liz Truss signed a “historic” deal with Japan as trade secretary in October 2020, describing it as a “landmark moment for Britain”. It was claimed it would boost trade by billions of pounds and help the UK recover from the pandemic.

However, figures collated by the Department for International Trade show exports to Japan fell from £12.3bn to £11.9bn in the year to June 2022. Exports in goods fell 4.9% to £6.1bn and services fell 2% to £5.8bn.

So apart from the trade deal with Australia that sold British farmers down the river, and the signage in yards in the Dartford tunnel, we're left with...?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,233
    edited November 2022
    The year to June 2022 includes a covid period and lockdowns.
    But then so does June 2020 to June 2021. Before that defence gets used.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Who'd have thought...?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/26/brexit-britain-japan-trade-deal-exports-slump

The first major free trade agreement signed by Britain after Brexit has been branded a failure after new figures showed exports had fallen since it came into force.

Liz Truss signed a “historic” deal with Japan as trade secretary in October 2020, describing it as a “landmark moment for Britain”. It was claimed it would boost trade by billions of pounds and help the UK recover from the pandemic.

However, figures collated by the Department for International Trade show exports to Japan fell from £12.3bn to £11.9bn in the year to June 2022. Exports in goods fell 4.9% to £6.1bn and services fell 2% to £5.8bn.

So apart from the trade deal with Australia that sold British farmers down the river, and the signage in yards in the Dartford tunnel, we're left with...?
    Did we not just rollover the existing deal?
  • briantrumpet

Who'd have thought...?

Basically, yes (hence the speed with which it was agreed), but obviously it didn't provide the same access to the EU that the one that we had while we were in the EU. I know that's stating the bleedin' obvious, but given that Brexit ignored the bleedin' obvious...
  • Who'd have thought...?

Basically, yes (hence the speed with which it was agreed), but obviously it didn't provide the same access to the EU that the one that we had while we were in the EU. I know that's stating the bleedin' obvious, but given that Brexit ignored the bleedin' obvious...
    This is for exports so access to EU is irrelevant.

£400m fall on £12bn is not that significant.

With the caveat that I know nothing about the subject this would seem like something we could use as a benchmark for how Brexit has impacted our exports.
  • briantrumpet
    Combined with Starmer talking about red lines about FoM and the Single Market, it's hard to feel optimistic about the UK's prospects about digging itself out of the hole it dug for itself.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,487

Combined with Starmer talking about red lines about FoM and the Single Market, it's hard to feel optimistic about the UK's prospects about digging itself out of the hole it dug for itself.

Maybe time to finally let it go then? One day the message will get through ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • We've found yet another member of the anti-growth coalition.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,487
    Call me a realist.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • While I disagree with some of this, I don't disagree with some of Daniel Hannan's article.

"Policies are chosen, not on their merit, but on what Brexit vibes they give off."

He now seems to say it's too late to get what he actually wanted, but I don't know why. It still seems to be the vibes of it that don't seem right for him.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/11/26/brexit-should-have-gone-swiss-now-have-no-option-go-singaporean/
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Maybe time to finally let it go then? One day the message will get through ;)

It would be a dereliction of duty to stop arguing for things that would improve the prospects for the UK. Just because they are politically problematic at the moment doesn't mean they are impossible. They are only impossible if people accept the status quo as being the only option.

So, no, I won't let it go.
  • Join the pro growth alliance. Enemies = now both Starmer and Sunak.

Don't be obsessed with Brexit.
  • briantrumpet

Join the pro growth alliance. Enemies = now both Starmer and Sunak.

My guess is that Starmer is biding his time, and not giving ammunition to the loons too soon: as the dial moves further towards redeveloping more a harmonious relationship with the EU, then the political room for manoeuvre will grow wider.

But I agree that at the moment neither of them is realistically talking about growth, as they are both focusing on the moat, and not what lies beyond it.
  • Join the pro growth alliance. Enemies = now both Starmer and Sunak.

My guess is that Starmer is biding his time, and not giving ammunition to the loons too soon: as the dial moves further towards redeveloping more a harmonious relationship with the EU, then the political room for manoeuvre will grow wider.

But I agree that at the moment neither of them is realistically talking about growth, as they are both focusing on the moat, and not what lies beyond it.
    On the face of it the current obsession with talking about growth is puzzling but in my more optimistic moments I wonder whether it is an attempt to move the post-Brexit debate away from sovreignty and onto economics
  • briantrumpet

Join the pro growth alliance. Enemies = now both Starmer and Sunak.

On the face of it the current obsession with talking about growth is puzzling but in my more optimistic moments I wonder whether it is an attempt to move the post-Brexit debate away from sovreignty and onto economics

One hopes so, but the desire to keep the cut-off-nose stub festering seems to know no bounds. The patient doesn't seem to be interested in doctors' advice at the moment.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,787

While I disagree with some of this, I don't disagree with some of Daniel Hannan's article.

"Policies are chosen, not on their merit, but on what Brexit vibes they give off."

He now seems to say it's too late to get what he actually wanted, but I don't know why. It still seems to be the vibes of it that don't seem right for him.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/11/26/brexit-should-have-gone-swiss-now-have-no-option-go-singaporean/

Go wash your mouth out, he's a shiller of the highest order and is one of the least consistent politicians I have ever come across.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,853
    edited November 2022

While I disagree with some of this, I don't disagree with some of Daniel Hannan's article.

Go wash your mouth out, he's a shiller of the highest order and is one of the least consistent politicians I have ever come across.
    Do you disagree with the quote?

The irony is that he's guilty of advocating policies based on the same vibes in the article, and ascribing future policies to Labour based on vibes.
  • rick_chasey
    Pfft, broken clocks are still right twice a day.

Not remotely interesting enough to warrant the quote.

• rick_chasey
    If I wrote it you wouldn't have even blinked - you only posted it because Hannan wrote it and he doesn't deserve to be quoted for anything other than to point out his own duplicitousness.
  • rick_chasey
    I really dislike the c*nt and will not turn down any opportunity to say how awful he is and shoot down anything that doesn't resemble people saying he's a c*nt.
  • If I wrote it you wouldn't have even blinked - you only posted it because Hannan wrote it and he doesn't deserve to be quoted for anything other than to point out his own duplicitousness.

I posted because I thought it was an interesting article for the Telegraph to publish. Lots of self serving nonsense, but restating the pre-brexit leave consensus that staying in some EU institutions would have been good is interesting now.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,177
    How come Hannan has only been an MEP and not an MP. Given the dearth of talent, I would have thought he had done enough (successful) self publicity do deserve a safeish seat and possibly a cabinet position.