BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,547

Jezyboy said:

It is real.

So either someone has used the opportunity of twitter has created a very convincing Tice account with a blue tick, or, someone is so stupid that I assume it's actually painful.

Joined 2013, genuine blue tick.
    Who is tweeting to whom? I just assumed ddraver was making fun of Remain obsessed people.

Tice thinks he's being funny. Which he is, because he hasn't recognised a metaphor, and everyone is laughing at him.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,940

Jezyboy said:

It is real.

So either someone has used the opportunity of twitter has created a very convincing Tice account with a blue tick, or, someone is so stupid that I assume it's actually painful.

Joined 2013, genuine blue tick.
    Who is tweeting to whom? I just assumed ddraver was making fun of Remain obsessed people.

Tice thinks he's being funny. Which he is, because he hasn't recognised a metaphor, and everyone is laughing at him.
    I prefer the rain in the swimming pool one. Much clearer. Washing machines are a bit out there.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,487
    I thought Tice's reply was quite witty.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,787
    edited November 2022
    Sending a hamper to Sweden.

Don't bother trying. If you're not in the EU, it will get caught up in customs so long it's not worth it.

Nightmare. Guy did some freebies for us so I wanted to send a thank you present. Only way I've worked out is using my own VPN to buy something locally in Sweden with some judicious google translating, but it's really no where near the same.
  • Sending a hamper to Sweden...

Whilst I sympathise with the situation - my motorhome-based retirement plans have been somewhat scuppered by Brexit - this is such a "first world problem" and perhaps not the killer argument needed to get the Brexiteers to reconsider their current "world view".

• rick_chasey

Sending a hamper to Sweden...

Whilst I sympathise with the situation - my motorhome-based retirement plans have been somewhat scuppered by Brexit - this is such a "first world problem" and perhaps not the killer argument needed to get the Brexiteers to reconsider their current "world view".

Ah, that old chesnut. We are literally in the first world. It's £80 plus whatever courier would charge that is now not being spent here.

All of that adds up.

Ah, that old chesnut. We are literally in the first world. It's £80 plus whatever courier would charge that is now not being spent here.

All of that adds up.
    As I said, I sympathise. But that's because I'm a middle class remainer. You won't get any sympathy for your hamper issues from many leave voters!
  • rick_chasey

All of that adds up.
    As I said, I sympathise. But that's because I'm a middle class remainer. You won't get any sympathy for your hamper issues from many leave voters!
    Do leave voters not run shops that send hampers?

All of that adds up.
    if only more people had imported/exported from non-EU countries before the referendum.

If the single market had gone on strike for a more every couple of years then I think people would have appreciated it more
  • rick_chasey

All of that adds up.
    Punchline; no, they're retired.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,444
    ...or they knew what would happen and didn't vote leave.

A slight alternative to your solution is to use the VPN to buy it from literally anywhere else in the EU who can still easily send stuff to Sweeden.

One or two politicians are struggling to realise that a few businesses in the EU might have worked this out too so keep it a secret!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver

All of that adds up.
    I genuinely have no idea. I don't move in hamper-sending circles. Most folk I know only interacted with the EU commercially via Amazon, and if there are issues associated with Amazon.lux (or whatever it is) then they appear to have been resolved in some shape or form.
  • rick_chasey

All of that adds up.
    I genuinely have no idea. I don't move in hamper-sending circles. Most folk I know only interacted with the EU commercially via Amazon, and if there are issues associated with Amazon.lux (or whatever it is) then they appear to have been resolved in some shape or form.
    Yeah I just don't get the "leavers aren't interested in your middle class purchases". I happened to have chosen Betty's as it goes, which is very much in Yorkshire which was very much Leave. Do they not want the business?
  • Stevo_666

:) No issue is too small to 'prove' that we should rejoin immediately.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,093

All of that adds up.
    Archie Norman does

Causing all sorts of problems for him
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,444
    Bringing it back to the tweet, Mr Foreman has made one or two representations on the subject of Leave and business outside the EU. In particular, wanting government compensation because of the consequences of the very thing he voted for
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    ddraver said:

Bringing it back to the tweet, Mr Foreman has made one or two representations on the subject of Leave and business outside the EU. In particular, wanting government compensation because of the consequences of the very thing he voted for

Brexit benefit scrounger.
  • ddraver said:

who is Mr Foreman?
  • Stevo_666 said:

Perhaps if Rick and I joined forces to campaign on a "We must rejoin so W&G's RV is properly stocked with a hamper" then the Red Wall would fold and start waving its blue and yellow flags with cult-like enthusiasm. ;)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,449
    Pretend the RV is a bus, they like a bus especially if it has a slogan painted on it.
  • It's a fairly "compact" van, so we only had room for a short slogan. We've currently got "BoJo is a fool" down one side and "But Liz is a bigger fool" down the other.

Mrs W&G is a dab hand with the spray paint though, so we can easily implement new slogans when inspiration strikes!
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Perhaps if Rick and I joined forces to campaign on a "We must rejoin so W&G's RV is properly stocked with a hamper" then the Red Wall would fold and start waving its blue and yellow flags with cult-like enthusiasm. ;)
    Well you've sold it to me so that should do the trick :smile:
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,432
    Stevo_666 said:

This specific issue is more of a sapling than a tree, therefore the whole forest is irrelevant.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,093

ddraver said:

who is Mr Foreman?
    3rd Tier Brexiteer.
    Runs a family smoked salmon business
    May have been one of the last intake of Brexit Party MEPs. Not 100%
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,210

ddraver said:

who is Mr Foreman?
    The smoked salmon fella.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ddraver said:

who is Mr Foreman?
    3rd Tier Brexiteer.
    Runs a family smoked salmon business
    May have been one of the last intake of Brexit Party MEPs. Not 100%
    Now he is funny.

If anybody else wants to boycott his products it is spelt “Forman”
  • briantrumpet
    edited November 2022

Haha. Just went to look to see the Twitter response to Wrecker Frost's sharing of his article, and it seems he isn't confident that it would be positive.

• briantrumpet
    Even the vaguely sane Hunt is having to resort to denial of gravity.

• rick_chasey
    Ungovernable party, get rid of them already.