BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Pross said:

Exactly, it isn't the only problem and I don't think (m)any have suggested on here that it is but when the whole world is facing major challenges being encumbered by an extra one of our own making isn't going to help. It's like going into a boxing match where have both been forced to tie one hand behind your back but you had already decided you were going to fight with both shoes tied together and are now stuck with that decision.

what do you thinkthe odds are that SteveO is the only person in the world who thinks there are no downsides to Brexit.

If there was a single mitigating economic upside do you not think that Boris and JRM would repeat it continuously?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,447

Pross said:

Exactly, it isn't the only problem and I don't think (m)any have suggested on here that it is but when the whole world is facing major challenges being encumbered by an extra one of our own making isn't going to help. It's like going into a boxing match where have both been forced to tie one hand behind your back but you had already decided you were going to fight with both shoes tied together and are now stuck with that decision.

what do you thinkthe odds are that SteveO is the only person in the world who thinks there are no downsides to Brexit.

If there was a single mitigating economic upside do you not think that Boris and JRM would repeat it continuously?

I don't think even Stevo thinks that, but that he'd think it a sign of weakness to admit it, given he's pinned so much on rubbishing the views of people who have continued voicing their opposition to isolation from Europe.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,899

"I think you'll find that the reason I'm wet isn't because I refused to put my umbrella up, it's because of the rain. Lots of other things are wet too."

Are you swimming in the sea when making the statement?
  • "I think you'll find that the reason I'm wet isn't because I refused to put my umbrella up, it's because of the rain. Lots of other things are wet too."

No, it's full of sh!t.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,370

Pross said:

When have I ever said that? All I am trying to do here is give some perspective to the doomsterss who want to look at everything through the lens of Brexit and make out it is worse than is really the case. Its been going going on for years in this thread. The argument seems to latch onto whatever minor tale of woe is in the press before moving onto the next. Yawn.

Why don't people just get their 'I told you so t-shirts' printed and get on with life? :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

"disruptions in value chains"

Battering every business across the world. I'm pretty sick of interest rate volatility, commodity prices and rampant inflation, but sadly I don't get to blame Brexit, because I'm not working in the UK.
    Working a global group, we see this as well.
    And where the same guy specifically references Brexit - does that also not refer to the UK leaving the EU? I guess we just can't say.
    The point is that the disruption of supply chains and value chains is mainly driven by global factors - hence it being an issue globally.
    That'll be why they've moved out of the UK only and decided that the EU is a better place to do their European business. Makes sense. If only they'd made it clearer.
    As mentioned above, Brexit is less of an influence on these matters than wider global issues. Just trying to blame Brexit for everything doesn't cut it and for a good reason.
    See above.
    Likewise. There are/were bigger issues out there - like a global pandemic and a war.
    Lucky for this company they aren't happening to the EU.
    Let me help you with a bit more perspective on this massive issue:
    https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn02788/#:~:text=Official%20statistics%20on%20economic%20output,agriculture%2C%20forestry%20and%20fishing%20sector.

Quote:
    "Official statistics on economic output of the fishing industry are volatile and can be significantly revised from year to year. According to the ONS, in 2021, the sector contributed around 0.03% of total UK economic output"
    If you keep posting, this thread is never going to drop off the first page.
    It won't for that as long as the current forum members are alive. It seems to give some people hope and meaning.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Apologies, I think I misunderstood. Is it now "yes, this was Brexit, but it's only fish" so who cares?

You seem to be struggling with the concept of perspective here.
  • Stevo_666
    edited November 2022

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Battering every business across the world. I'm pretty sick of interest rate volatility, commodity prices and rampant inflation, but sadly I don't get to blame Brexit, because I'm not working in the UK.
    And where the same guy specifically references Brexit - does that also not refer to the UK leaving the EU? I guess we just can't say.
    The point is that the disruption of supply chains and value chains is mainly driven by global factors - hence it being an issue globally.
    That'll be why they've moved out of the UK only and decided that the EU is a better place to do their European business. Makes sense. If only they'd made it clearer.
    As mentioned above, Brexit is less of an influence on these matters than wider global issues. Just trying to blame Brexit for everything doesn't cut it and for a good reason.
    See above.
    Likewise. There are/were bigger issues out there - like a global pandemic and a war.
    https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn02788/#:~:text=Official%20statistics%20on%20economic%20output,agriculture%2C%20forestry%20and%20fishing%20sector.

Quote:
    "Official statistics on economic output of the fishing industry are volatile and can be significantly revised from year to year. According to the ONS, in 2021, the sector contributed around 0.03% of total UK economic output"
    Have you clicked through and read anything about this company's decision? Doesn't seem so.
    I am making a valid point about major global issues and how significant Brexit is in relation to that. It doesn't rely on that article about a single company to be valid. You seem to be wilfully ignoring the point because it doesn't fit with your agenda.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,755
    edited November 2022
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

See above.

Quote:
    Have you clicked through and read anything about this company's decision? Doesn't seem so.
    I am making a valid point about major global issues and how significant Brexit is in relation to that. It doesn't rely on that article about a single company to be valid. You seem to be wilfully ignoring the point because it doesn't fit with your agenda.
    See above. https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/comment/20952242/#Comment_20952242
  • Stevo_666 said:

Apologies, I think I misunderstood. Is it now "yes, this was Brexit, but it's only fish" so who cares?

You seem to be struggling with the concept of perspective here.
    Is that a "yes"?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,370
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

When have I ever said that? All I am trying to do here is give some perspective to the doomsterss who want to look at everything through the lens of Brexit and make out it is worse than is really the case. Its been going going on for years in this thread. The argument seems to latch onto whatever minor tale of woe is in the press before moving onto the next. Yawn.

Why don't people just get their 'I told you so t-shirts' printed and get on with life? :smile:
    Feel free to post any correspondinginly minor tales of Brexit success to provide balance. It would be nice to read about them.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

I would agree about the micro stuff but as the general population has no understanding of macroeconomics the media presumably uses these stories to bring to life what trade barriers mean. They do the same for any macroeconomic story.

You would think the fact that Brexit is costing the Govt £50bn a year in foregone revenues would be a simple concept for anybody to understand and lead to a reasoned debate about our future economic relationship with the EU.

We continue as we are and the hole gets bigger by £10bn or we do a Norway and retrict the loss to £5bn which gives us an extra £2.5bn of Govt revenue.

I refuse to believe that if people understood this simple concept that any more than a tiny % would give two sh1ts about the ECJ.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,370

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

I would agree about the micro stuff but as the general population has no understanding of macroeconomics the media presumably uses these stories to bring to life what trade barriers mean. They do the same for any macroeconomic story.

You would think the fact that Brexit is costing the Govt £50bn a year in foregone revenues would be a simple concept for anybody to understand and lead to a reasoned debate about our future economic relationship with the EU.

We continue as we are and the hole gets bigger by £10bn or we do a Norway and retrict the loss to £5bn which gives us an extra £2.5bn of Govt revenue.

I refuse to believe that if people understood this simple concept that any more than a tiny % would give two sh1ts about the ECJ.
    They could put it on a bus - "£1 billion per week less for the NHS"
  • TheBigBean

"I think you'll find that the reason I'm wet isn't because I refused to put my umbrella up, it's because of the rain. Lots of other things are wet too."

No, it's full of sh!t.
    Right got it. So you're standing in an outdoor swimming pool in the rain and one person has an umbrella and one doesn't. The one who doesn't is worried about wet hair. A perfectly valid concern.

• "I think you'll find that the reason I'm wet isn't because I refused to put my umbrella up, it's because of the rain. Lots of other things are wet too."

No, it's full of sh!t.
    Right got it. So you're standing in an outdoor swimming pool in the rain and one person has an umbrella and one doesn't. The one who doesn't is worried about wet hair. A perfectly valid concern.

I can only assume from this that you live somewhere that it's normal to spend a lot of your daily life standing in an outdoor swimming pool where some people choose to use umbrellas. Otherwise, this would sound like the ravings of a lunatic.
  • TheBigBean

No, it's full of sh!t.

I can only assume from this that you live somewhere that it's normal to spend a lot of your daily life standing in an outdoor swimming pool where some people choose to use umbrellas. Otherwise, this would sound like the ravings of a lunatic.
    Just trying to help with your analogy.
  • kingstongraham
    edited November 2022

No, it's full of sh!t.

OK. So in this analogy now, the person has decided to get into a swimming pool, and is still convinced that the reason that they are wet is because of the rain?

I can live with that.

No, it's full of sh!t.

OK. So in this analogy now, the person has decided to get into a swimming pool, and is still convinced that the reason that they are wet is because of the rain?

I can live with that.
    The Brexit chap gave away his umbrella and now his bespoke suit is getting ruined because it has started to rain, his solution is to jump in the swimming pool as then the rain will not matter.

Whilst not solving his suit problem it does stop him looking like an idiot for giving his umbrella away
  • TheBigBean
    edited November 2022

No, it's full of sh!t.

I can live with that.
    Yes. Rain is Brexit. Swimming pool is the state of the rest of the world at the moment.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,145
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

See above.

Quote:
    If you keep posting, this thread is never going to drop off the first page.
    It won't for that as long as the current forum members are alive. It seems to give some people hope and meaning.
    The government is still arguing with itself about Brexit and whether trying to overcome some of the accepted downsides is a 'betrayal' of such. Other parts refuse to even accept that there are any negative consequences even though the Autumn Statement was based on an OBR report that set out exactly what those consequences are. Until they get over it, it will remain a topic of conversation.

Some might suggest that the party needs it to remain in the news because what have they got to show for the last few years?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet

No, it's full of sh!t.

I can live with that.
    Yes. Rain is Brexit. Swimming pool is the state of the rest of the world at the moment.

That ignores the OBR thing (I think) that said that Brexit is having a more adverse effect now than covid, so maybe you've got your analogy back to front. Sure, there are global pressures, no-one's arguing otherwise.

But, as stated upthread, Brexit fallout is something the government can do something about to improve our situation, but is choosing not to because of ideological stubbornness. Hoping that rain is going to start falling upwards isn't going to work.
  • kingstongraham
    edited November 2022

No, it's full of sh!t.

I can live with that.
    It's the other way around. Getting in the pool was a conscious decision. Thank you for your help.

No, it's full of sh!t.

I can live with that.

That ignores the OBR thing (I think) that said that Brexit is having a more adverse effect now than covid...
    Is that right? IIRC the expectation is that long term, Brexit would chop 4% off GDP cumulatively compared to 2% for Covid. In the short term, the inflationary and interest rate impacts that are significantly, though certainly not exclusively, the result of Covid-era fiscal largesse and QE are probably more of an impact than Brexit.

• TheBigBean

No, it's full of sh!t.

I can live with that.

That ignores the OBR thing (I think) that said that Brexit is having a more adverse effect now than covid...
    Is that right? IIRC the expectation is that long term, Brexit would chop 4% off GDP cumulatively compared to 2% for Covid. In the short term, the inflationary and interest rate impacts that are significantly, though certainly not exclusively, the result of Covid-era fiscal largesse and QE are probably more of an impact than Brexit.

Some of the 4% was based on population difference as well.
  • TheBigBean

No, it's full of sh!t.

I can live with that.
    It's the other way around. Getting in the pool was a conscious decision. Thank you for your help.
    Do I need to post inflation rates around European countries again?

No, it's full of sh!t.

I can live with that.
    Now you're saying they need armbands? I wish I'd never mentioned the swimming pool now.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,620
    edited November 2022

No, it's full of sh!t.

I can live with that.
    How about real wages? Which is what actually matters.

No, it's full of sh!t.

I can live with that.

it is 4% and growing at 0.5% a year so Covid had a bigger short term effect but long term not much scarring so Brexit will be far worse

No, it's full of sh!t.

I can live with that.

it is 4% and growing at 0.5% a year so Covid had a bigger short term effect but long term not much scarring so Brexit will be far worse
    Thanks. That makes sense. But on further thinking I wonder if the Covid impact being considered relatively small is still valid given the impact of long-term health issues - generally attributed to the NHS becoming just the National Covid Service for many months - on the size of the labour force. Likewise the inflationary impacts.

This isn't to downplay the absolute significance of Brexit, but to suggest that the impact of Covid is more complex and more significant relatively than generally assumed a year or so ago when restrictions were being relaxed.

Speaking of which, to demonstrate that a year really is a long time, I think it's almost a year ago that "Omicron" became much more than just a Greek letter.

• briantrumpet

Speaking of which, to demonstrate that a year really is a long time, I think it's almost a year ago that "Omicron" became much more than just a Greek letter.

My sense of timescale has been really distorted by the epidemic.... stuff before (BC) almost feels like a different life.