BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

"disruptions in value chains"

Battering every business across the world. I'm pretty sick of interest rate volatility, commodity prices and rampant inflation, but sadly I don't get to blame Brexit, because I'm not working in the UK.
    Working a global group, we see this as well.
    And where the same guy specifically references Brexit - does that also not refer to the UK leaving the EU? I guess we just can't say.
    The point is that the disruption of supply chains and value chains is mainly driven by global factors - hence it being an issue globally.
    That'll be why they've moved out of the UK only and decided that the EU is a better place to do their European business. Makes sense. If only they'd made it clearer.
    As mentioned above, Brexit is less of an influence on these matters than wider global issues. Just trying to blame Brexit for everything doesn't cut it and for a good reason.
    See above.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,620
    Brexit was advertised as a help for British fishing.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Battering every business across the world. I'm pretty sick of interest rate volatility, commodity prices and rampant inflation, but sadly I don't get to blame Brexit, because I'm not working in the UK.
    And where the same guy specifically references Brexit - does that also not refer to the UK leaving the EU? I guess we just can't say.
    The point is that the disruption of supply chains and value chains is mainly driven by global factors - hence it being an issue globally.
    That'll be why they've moved out of the UK only and decided that the EU is a better place to do their European business. Makes sense. If only they'd made it clearer.
    As mentioned above, Brexit is less of an influence on these matters than wider global issues. Just trying to blame Brexit for everything doesn't cut it and for a good reason.
    Does this mean that we have to go back to blaming Wiggle.
  • webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Does this mean that we have to go back to blaming Wiggle.
    It's still too early to tell.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,899

The wish from some for Brexit to be the reason for everything is matched only by the refusal from others to accept Brexit is the reason for anything.

That seems like a reasonable summary, and I stand corrected on your quote above. It still doesn't feature in the corporate statement, so I'm going to maintain that it must be a lesser factor, and therefore not really in line with the original tweet.
    Not sure which corporate statement you are seeing.

https://www.icelandseafood.com/Press/Iceland-Seafood-has-decided-to-exit-the-UK-Market-from-value-added-perspective
    The one I quoted from the article, but good work on finding another Brexit reference
  • The wish from some for Brexit to be the reason for everything is matched only by the refusal from others to accept Brexit is the reason for anything.

That seems like a reasonable summary, and I stand corrected on your quote above. It still doesn't feature in the corporate statement, so I'm going to maintain that it must be a lesser factor, and therefore not really in line with the original tweet.

https://www.icelandseafood.com/Press/Iceland-Seafood-has-decided-to-exit-the-UK-Market-from-value-added-perspective
    The one I quoted from the article, but good work on finding another Brexit reference
    You only partially quoted the corporate statement from the article - Brexit's in there too.
  • TheBigBean

The wish from some for Brexit to be the reason for everything is matched only by the refusal from others to accept Brexit is the reason for anything.

You only partially quoted the corporate statement from the article - Brexit's in there too.
    I quoted the big block, but you are right, it is all a quote from the same person. Happy to concede my mistake on this one.
  • A company can exit from the UK, saying that they need to "adjust to a different reality" in their European operations, and directly say Brexit played a part in that decision, but I guess it can't be anything to do with the UK leaving the EU, because nothing can ever be.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,620
    Fishing was supposed to be a beneficiary of Brexit
  • TheBigBean

A company can exit from the UK, saying that they need to "adjust to a different reality" in their European operations, and directly say Brexit played a part in that decision, but I guess it can't be anything to do with the UK leaving the EU, because nothing can ever be.

You're going a bit over the top on something I have already agreed with you on.
  • Fishing was supposed to be a beneficiary of Brexit

Maybe after the new negotiation in 2026 it will be all great.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,739
    brexit is not the only cause of the uk's dire situation, it just makes things worse

the negative economic impact after the vote based on lies was immediate, in re the gbp:usd rate, markets know what a stupid decision looks like

nothing to do with covid or putin, pure brexit damage

with covid and putin, brexit just makes things worse, the damage continues, without end

but the damage of brexit is not simply economic, it damaged individual rights, strangely this gets little coverage, do uk people not care about their rights? brexiters certainly don't

it's significant and contributes to long term economic damage and prospects for the young - i will no longer hire a uk-only person, it's not about the money, it's about the freedom to work across the eu without screwing around with visas, work permits and security clearances, these are not low end jobs, but they're lost to the uk

uk citizens being stripped of their rights by the brexiter liars 'deal' is a fact, pure negative impact of brexit, nothing to do with covid or putin, anyone claiming otherwise is a demonstrably a liar or fool
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,447
    And Brexit, unlike war and disease, is something directly under the UK's control: choosing to ignore the data and possible remedies is a conscious choice.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,439
    sungod said:

but the damage of brexit is not simply economic, it damaged individual rights, strangely this gets little coverage, do uk people not care about their rights? brexiters certainly don't

As long as they perceive that someone they don't like has lost more rights than them, they call it a win...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean

And Brexit, unlike war and disease, is something directly under the UK's control: choosing to ignore the data and possible remedies is a conscious choice.

Always happy to have a discussion about data.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,076

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    edited November 2022
    As someone pointed out on the Twitter, there's only about 200 voters that care passionately that the UK doesn't enter into long term agreements with the EU which brings the two sides closer

Unfortunately they're all Conservative MPs

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,370

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

See above.
    Likewise. There are/were bigger issues out there - like a global pandemic and a war.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

See above.
    Likewise. There are/were bigger issues out there - like a global pandemic and a war.
    Lucky for this company they aren't happening to the EU.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,370

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

See above.
    Let me help you with a bit more perspective on this massive issue:
    https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn02788/#:~:text=Official%20statistics%20on%20economic%20output,agriculture%2C%20forestry%20and%20fishing%20sector.

Quote:
    "Official statistics on economic output of the fishing industry are volatile and can be significantly revised from year to year. According to the ONS, in 2021, the sector contributed around 0.03% of total UK economic output"
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,130
    Brexit for brains: we need Brexit to save our fishing

Remainers: the fishing industry is stupidly small

Brexit happens, doesn't help fishing.

Remainers: oh look even the apparent cast iron benefits aren't happening

Brexit for brains: the fishing industry is stupidly small
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,755
    edited November 2022
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

See above.
    https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn02788/#:~:text=Official%20statistics%20on%20economic%20output,agriculture%2C%20forestry%20and%20fishing%20sector.

Quote:
    "Official statistics on economic output of the fishing industry are volatile and can be significantly revised from year to year. According to the ONS, in 2021, the sector contributed around 0.03% of total UK economic output"
    Have you clicked through and read anything about this company's decision? Doesn't seem so.
  • Apologies, I think I misunderstood. Is it now "yes, this was Brexit, but it's only fish" so who cares?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,145
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

See above.

Quote:
    If you keep posting, this thread is never going to drop off the first page.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • As someone pointed out on the Twitter, there's only about 200 voters that care passionately that the UK doesn't enter into long term agreements with the EU which brings the two sides closer

How long do you think it would take to teach the electorate enough about economics that they would laugh derisively at people saying sovereignty is worth £50bn in tax rises and spending cuts
  • tailwindhome

As someone pointed out on the Twitter, there's only about 200 voters that care passionately that the UK doesn't enter into long term agreements with the EU which brings the two sides closer

How long do you think it would take to teach the electorate enough about economics that they would laugh derisively at people saying sovereignty is worth £50bn in tax rises and spending cuts
    What's it got to do with them?

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,755
    edited November 2022
    Here's a headline writer with the same straining of logic.

"Sure enough, Brexit appears to be a factor in the decline in City jobs but it is far from the only one."

"The impact of Brexit on the City has therefore been a microcosm of its impact on the wider economy. It’s part of the mix but by no means the only, or even the most important, challenge. "

(This journalist wrote in The Telegraph in favour of remaining before the vote.)
  • As someone pointed out on the Twitter, there's only about 200 voters that care passionately that the UK doesn't enter into long term agreements with the EU which brings the two sides closer

What's it got to do with them?

You see I agree with your two hundred theory, but they need the swivel eyed loons to get a seat and stay there. Imagine if you were a sane tory party member and your local MP became deranged and threatening to bring down his own Govt over some irrelevant detail in our future relationship with the EU? you would deselect him and replace with somebody who represented traditional Tory values. So behind your 200 are another 100,000 true believers.

If you look at their 40 year timeframe then why not start teaching economics to schoolkids?

Honestly this stuff is as basic as joining the TdeF and opting to ride separate from the peloton.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,370
    Exactly, it isn't the only problem and I don't think (m)any have suggested on here that it is but when the whole world is facing major challenges being encumbered by an extra one of our own making isn't going to help. It's like going into a boxing match where have both been forced to tie one hand behind your back but you had already decided you were going to fight with both shoes tied together and are now stuck with that decision.
  • "I think you'll find that the reason I'm wet isn't because I refused to put my umbrella up, it's because of the rain. Lots of other things are wet too."