BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,620
    morstar said:

Seems the right wing tabloids want to keep talking about Brexit.

Does that mean we’re allowed to?

Or are the 52% the only ones allowed to mention it?

Only age group which supports it is the over 65s - by quite a long way
  • ddraver said:

^I did not think that would be quite as good as it is...

The follow up is good.

• rick_chasey

ddraver said:

The follow up is good.

I mean, it's so transparent they're not even trying to hide it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,174
    I dare say that is a similar response to what David Cameron had to the results of his "poll" in June 2016. Awkward, but at least GB's one has no lasting effects.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,370
    Why on earth is Angela Rippon lowering herself to working on that channel? I suspect her days are numbered after her apparent pleasure in discussing that result though.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

Why on earth is Angela Rippon lowering herself to working on that channel? I suspect her days are numbered after her apparent pleasure in discussing that result though.

Boomer news TV needs boomer TV anchor.
  • Pross said:

Boomer news TV needs boomer TV anchor.
    I would be surprised if they have 19,000 viewers and if they are all Boomers then they definitely do not have 19,000 viewers on Twitter.

The fact that he did not realise his poll had been trolled just makes it funnier
  • When Elon comes up with a way of making people pay 10p to vote in a twitter poll, they'll be straight on it.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,076

The UK is trying to partner with Switzerland on a few things (share trading, science funding) as both countries are on the naughty step.

Exactly, the idea ignores the fact that the EU does not like the arrangement they have with Switzerland
    First time since Brexit we’ve seen the govt even consider SM is not “against Brexit”

If it is a serious thought, then that would make the bonfire of red tape and axing of thousands of as-yet unidentified regulations rather premature, given they'd all need to be reimposed.
    They’re desperate for some economic tailwinds.

Brexit is a big headwind so reducing the size of the headwind is worth considering, which this would, but it’s not without problems.

They'd do anything for growth (but they won't do that)

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,871
    edited November 2022

ddraver said:

The follow up is good.

Those pesky remainiacs :D That was bordering on Trumpyness

Was expecting Ange to say “common spit it out man!”.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,899
    Explaining the situation in an update to investors, Mr Ármannsson said 2022 "has turned into a very challenging year". He continued: "A year where we expected Covid-19 to end and life to go back to ‘normal’ – which turned into a year, characterised by a war in Europe, disruptions in value chains, high volatility in commodities, food prices and cost of capital.

“We are experiencing headwinds, which require difficult decisions to be made and sails to be adjusted to the change in winds. We believe in the future and that we are well-positioned in our key markets with well-run value-added operations in Europe.

"But we must adjust to a different reality and are therefore exiting the UK market from a value-added perspective. This is a difficult decision, but I believe it is the right one. We are committed to our main stakeholders and maintain our commitment to run a profitable business within the European value-added seafood industry.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Explaining the situation in an update to investors, Mr Ármannsson said 2022 "has turned into a very challenging year". He continued: "A year where we expected Covid-19 to end and life to go back to ‘normal’ – which turned into a year, characterised by a war in Europe, disruptions in value chains, high volatility in commodities, food prices and cost of capital.

“We are experiencing headwinds, which require difficult decisions to be made and sails to be adjusted to the change in winds. We believe in the future and that we are well-positioned in our key markets with well-run value-added operations in Europe.

"But we must adjust to a different reality and are therefore exiting the UK market from a value-added perspective. This is a difficult decision, but I believe it is the right one. We are committed to our main stakeholders and maintain our commitment to run a profitable business within the European value-added seafood industry.
    Are you suggesting that explanation excuses Brexit?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,495
    So, to summarise, UK is not profitable, but Europe is, so we're shutting UK operations.
  • "disruptions in value chains"
  • TheBigBean
    morstar said:

Are you suggesting that explanation excuses Brexit?
    I'm not convinced the Tweet is an accurate summary of the corporate statement. Others may disagree.
  • TheBigBean

"disruptions in value chains"

Battering every business across the world. I'm pretty sick of interest rate volatility, commodity prices and rampant inflation, but sadly I don't get to blame Brexit, because I'm not working in the UK.
  • rick_chasey
    Brexit was billed as saviour of the fishing industry.

It's not mentioned as a tailwind either.
  • "disruptions in value chains"

Battering every business across the world. I'm pretty sick of interest rate volatility, commodity prices and rampant inflation, but sadly I don't get to blame Brexit, because I'm not working in the UK.
    Group chief executive Bjarni Ármannsson said: “Iceland Seafood UK invested in operating facilities in Grimsby and merged its operations from Bradford and Grimsby into this location. The investment and decision of the merger was completed in March 2020, just before Covid-19 started, and the renovation and installation of the factory was very much affected by Covid and later Brexit along with difficulties in overall operations.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    The Hull trawler fleet is about to become one boat.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,370

Working a global group, we see this as well.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

And where the same guy specifically references Brexit - does that also not refer to the UK leaving the EU? I guess we just can't say.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,174
    Fishing industry says "Ships? I see no ships."
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

And where the same guy specifically references Brexit - does that also not refer to the UK leaving the EU? I guess we just can't say.
    The point is that the disruption of supply chains and value chains is mainly driven by global factors - hence it being an issue globally.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,755
    edited November 2022
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

The point is that the disruption of supply chains and value chains is mainly driven by global factors - hence it being an issue globally.
    That'll be why they've moved out of the UK only and decided that the EU is a better place to do their European business. Makes sense. If only they'd made it clearer.
  • The wish from some for Brexit to be the reason for everything is matched only by the refusal from others to accept Brexit is the reason for anything.
  • It is a bit weird that one of his complaints - when he says “The UK market has become more difficult post-Brexit. The UK has become more cumbersome in terms of paperwork” seems to relate to how it is now more difficult to bring in fish from south east Asia.
  • TheBigBean

The wish from some for Brexit to be the reason for everything is matched only by the refusal from others to accept Brexit is the reason for anything.

That seems like a reasonable summary, and I stand corrected on your quote above. It still doesn't feature in the corporate statement, so I'm going to maintain that it must be a lesser factor, and therefore not really in line with the original tweet.
  • The wish from some for Brexit to be the reason for everything is matched only by the refusal from others to accept Brexit is the reason for anything.

That seems like a reasonable summary, and I stand corrected on your quote above. It still doesn't feature in the corporate statement, so I'm going to maintain that it must be a lesser factor, and therefore not really in line with the original tweet.
    Not sure which corporate statement you are seeing.

https://www.icelandseafood.com/Press/Iceland-Seafood-has-decided-to-exit-the-UK-Market-from-value-added-perspective
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

That'll be why they've moved out of the UK only and decided that the EU is a better place to do their European business. Makes sense. If only they'd made it clearer.
    As mentioned above, Brexit is less of an influence on these matters than wider global issues. Just trying to blame Brexit for everything doesn't cut it and for a good reason.