BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Interesting to know what aspects of Swiss we’re tapping into.

Buying from Switzerland is not easy. Although post Brexit, that’s a moot point as buying from anywhere is no longer easy.

I struggle to see the parallels. Switzerland is an incredibly expensive country which thrives due to its bounty of natural gifts and secretive banking.
    It uses a lot of migrant labour to run the service industries.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,444
    morstar said:

What up dawg!

(Closer and closer we go...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • morstar
    ddraver said:

morstar said:

What up dawg!

(Closer and closer we go...)
    Not sure what your point is. But if Brexit was born of anti immigration sentiment, not sure how aspiring to be Geneva on Thames fits.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,940
    The UK is trying to partner with Switzerland on a few things (share trading, science funding) as both countries are on the naughty step.
  • The UK is trying to partner with Switzerland on a few things (share trading, science funding) as both countries are on the naughty step.

Exactly, the idea ignores the fact that the EU does not like the arrangement they have with Switzerland
  • morstar

The UK is trying to partner with Switzerland on a few things (share trading, science funding) as both countries are on the naughty step.

Exactly, the idea ignores the fact that the EU does not like the arrangement they have with Switzerland
    That was my point about being difficult to buy from. When I used to import stuff from Switzerland pre Brexit, it was a pain in the proverbial. The solution was obviously Brexit which made it equally difficult to buy from the whole Eu.

I don't see how being like Switzerland is a good thing. Given that we can't have the mountains obviously.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,547
    morstar said:

That was my point about being difficult to buy from. When I used to import stuff from Switzerland pre Brexit, it was a pain in the proverbial. The solution was obviously Brexit which made it equally difficult to buy from the whole Eu.

I don't see how being like Switzerland is a good thing. Given that we can't have the mountains obviously.

Could we make do with Toblerone instead?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,787
    edited November 2022

First time since Brexit we’ve seen the govt even consider SM is not “against Brexit”
  • rick_chasey
    Problem is of course is that the market will be **actually** ruled by Brussels with no say from the UK.

But that’s why Brexit was stupid anyway
  • briantrumpet

First time since Brexit we’ve seen the govt even consider SM is not “against Brexit”

If it is a serious thought, then that would make the bonfire of red tape and axing of thousands of as-yet unidentified regulations rather premature, given they'd all need to be reimposed.
  • rick_chasey

If it is a serious thought, then that would make the bonfire of red tape and axing of thousands of as-yet unidentified regulations rather premature, given they'd all need to be reimposed.
    They’re desperate for some economic tailwinds.

Brexit is a big headwind so reducing the size of the headwind is worth considering, which this would, but it’s not without problems.
  • briantrumpet

They’re desperate for some economic tailwinds.

Brexit is a big headwind so reducing the size of the headwind is worth considering, which this would, but it’s not without problems.

I'm absolutely not against scrutinising what's there, but it's the lack of scrutiny which is nuts... but that's the whole Truss-Kwarteng wilful ignorance/denial in a nutshell (and before that, Brexit). To return to my amputation analogy, it would be like going into an operation without even considering the possible complications or downsides.
  • rick_chasey
    Rule taking on a whole host of things with no say is plainly not remotely ideal.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,233
    I wonder if it will ever sink into Brexiteers that we actually had the best possible deal and threw it away. A deal that we will never get back.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

I wonder if it will ever sink into Brexiteers that we actually had the best possible deal and threw it away. A deal that we will never get back.

They seem to forget that the UK was the gateway into the EU market for those without direct access, given our special dispensations. All gone.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,521
    Switzerland is in Schengen but not the single market, Morstar seems the only one that's noticed. Do we need that simple venn diagram Stevo posted numerous times? A person can cross the border into Switzerland with no checks, goods cannot. Why on earth would we want a deal like the Swiss, it's the opposite of what the idiots were promising before the vote.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2022

Switzerland is in Schengen but not the single market, Morstar seems the only one that's noticed. Do we need that simple venn diagram Stevo posted numerous times? A person can cross the border into Switzerland with no checks, goods cannot. Why on earth would we want a deal like the Swiss, it's the opposite of what the idiots were promising before the vote.

It is in the SM: https://www.gov.uk/eu-eea

Switzerland is not an EU or EEA member but is part of the single market. This means Swiss nationals have the same rights to live and work in the UK as other EEA nationals.
  • briantrumpet

It is in the SM: https://www.gov.uk/eu-eea
    The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. It allows them to be part of the EU’s single market.

Switzerland is not an EU or EEA member but is part of the single market. This means Swiss nationals have the same rights to live and work in the UK as other EEA nationals.
  • briantrumpet
    D'oh, you managed to edit yours just before I posted.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,521
    Ok, not what I was thinking of by single market. That's about people, not goods. Apologies. There is not free movement of goods into Switzerland, as Morstar says shipping in and out of Switzerland was a pain in the neck. All the promises of controlling our borders but easy commerce are still the opposite of being like Switzerland.
  • rick_chasey
    Customs Union
  • ddraver

Ok, not what I was thinking of by single market. That's about people, not goods. Apologies. There is not free movement of goods into Switzerland, as Morstar says shipping in and out of Switzerland was a pain in the neck. All the promises of controlling our borders but easy commerce are still the opposite of being like Switzerland.

You're giving the brexiters way too much credit. Reality doesn't matter, remember.
    - @ddraver
  • morstar

Thank you, this was my point. Switzerland seems to be the exact opposite of any sort of Brexit bonus.
    Free movement of people but with trade barriers.
  • Ok, not what I was thinking of by single market. That's about people, not goods. Apologies. There is not free movement of goods into Switzerland, as Morstar says shipping in and out of Switzerland was a pain in the neck. All the promises of controlling our borders but easy commerce are still the opposite of being like Switzerland.

Whilst not as good as what we had it would be a lot better than where we are now
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,210

It's not serious. As SC points out the Swiss-EU arrangement is not popular for either party. It's just the usual floating stuff with journos to test the water.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • We joining Schengen? Cool.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,487

This one? Still a handy guide even if the UK has shifted position.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,210
    edited November 2022
    You'd have to be made of stone not to enjoy the instantaneous evaporation of smugness.

Was also struck by how seamlessly Angela Rippon covered for Daubney. Not difficult to spot the professional presenter.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ddraver
    ^I did not think that would be quite as good as it is...
    - @ddraver
  • morstar
    Seems the right wing tabloids want to keep talking about Brexit.

Does that mean we’re allowed to?

Or are the 52% the only ones allowed to mention it?