BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974
    edited October 2022
    morstar said:

pblakeney said:

monkimark said:

As a (kind of) Civil Engineer, I have come across imperial units once in my career - the drawings for an existing building that we were extending.
    No engineer is going to start using yards, feet and inches for measuring or calculating, it would drive you mad.

ddraver said:

FFS, I'd not twigged that Rees-Smug's antediluvian instincts were being put into actual proposals for this sort of stuff. It's the absolute opposite of progress and wanting to be part of global business.
    That would be assuming that JRM exists in the same world as us, he doesn't.
    It's not going to happen.
    But this man is a cabinet minister.
    What dirt does he have on people for goodness sake?
    Look at the current cabinet. Chunt is now seen as a saviour.
    All logic has long sailed.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,659
    Yeah as we said all along it would be pretty sh!t if we right!

And sh!t it is.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540

Jeepers, that's quite the obituary for Brexit.

Is it too soon to say "We told you so"?
  • briantrumpet
    I think pretty much every sentiment in this article has been aired here. "We tried to tell you so" isn't any comfort for our fate born of the Brexit delusion/lies. But I, for one, am not going to disagree with Miriam Margolyes' sentiment towards the Brexit loons.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/oct/14/markets-take-back-control-brexit-humiliation-britain-suez

As remainers were mocked for pointing out six long years ago, there is no such thing as unfettered sovereignty in the 21st century: every country has to accommodate its neighbours, the global economy, reality. But the leavers, and their zealous convert Truss, refused to hear it. When Sunak tried to spell out these rudimentary facts, Conservative party members thought he was being a spoilsport. The Treasury permanent secretary, Tom Scholar, was seen as the embodiment of such boring, reality-based thinking, and so Truss fired him.

This week Sanjay Raja, chief UK economist of Deutsche Bank, told a Commons committee that Britain was facing a unique form of trade shock: “We haven’t seen this kind of trade deficit since 1955, since national account records began.” It was odd, because I too had been thinking about the mid-1950s, specifically the Suez crisis of 1956. The failure of that military adventure is now seen as the moment when a bucket of cold reality was thrown into Britain’s face, a humiliation that stripped the country of its imperial delusions, forcing it to accept that it was no longer a global superpower that could act alone. For a while, Britain learned that lesson: just five years after Suez, the country was knocking on Europe’s door, asking to join the club.

But some, especially in the Conservative party, never shook off the old delusion. By 2016, it was back, the Tories high on Brexit talk of a global Britain once again sailing the world’s oceans, free of the constraining hand of the EU, ready to return to its rightful grandeur. The Tories have been breathing those fumes for six years, and the Truss-Kwarteng mini-budget was the result: the Suez of economic policy, a disastrous act of imagined imperial sovereignty.

Yeah, guess I'm still angry. I'd genuinely be interested from the 'Make the best of Brexit' proponents how that's going to work now. When even the Telegraph admits it could take decades to recover from this, I think it might be quite a tricky sales pitch to formulate. But have a go, if you rate your powers of persuasion...
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129
    three steps to a new age of prosperity...

strip all brexiters of citizenship on the grounds of treason

deport them to rwanda, it's their policy after all

productivity rises as we rejoin eu
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • I think pretty much every sentiment in this article has been aired here. "We tried to tell you so" isn't any comfort for our fate born of the Brexit delusion/lies. But I, for one, am not going to disagree with Miriam Margolyes' sentiment towards the Brexit loons.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/oct/14/markets-take-back-control-brexit-humiliation-britain-suez

As remainers were mocked for pointing out six long years ago, there is no such thing as unfettered sovereignty in the 21st century: every country has to accommodate its neighbours, the global economy, reality. But the leavers, and their zealous convert Truss, refused to hear it. When Sunak tried to spell out these rudimentary facts, Conservative party members thought he was being a spoilsport. The Treasury permanent secretary, Tom Scholar, was seen as the embodiment of such boring, reality-based thinking, and so Truss fired him.

This week Sanjay Raja, chief UK economist of Deutsche Bank, told a Commons committee that Britain was facing a unique form of trade shock: “We haven’t seen this kind of trade deficit since 1955, since national account records began.” It was odd, because I too had been thinking about the mid-1950s, specifically the Suez crisis of 1956. The failure of that military adventure is now seen as the moment when a bucket of cold reality was thrown into Britain’s face, a humiliation that stripped the country of its imperial delusions, forcing it to accept that it was no longer a global superpower that could act alone. For a while, Britain learned that lesson: just five years after Suez, the country was knocking on Europe’s door, asking to join the club.

But some, especially in the Conservative party, never shook off the old delusion. By 2016, it was back, the Tories high on Brexit talk of a global Britain once again sailing the world’s oceans, free of the constraining hand of the EU, ready to return to its rightful grandeur. The Tories have been breathing those fumes for six years, and the Truss-Kwarteng mini-budget was the result: the Suez of economic policy, a disastrous act of imagined imperial sovereignty.

Yeah, guess I'm still angry. I'd genuinely be interested from the 'Make the best of Brexit' proponents how that's going to work now. When even the Telegraph admits it could take decades to recover from this, I think it might be quite a tricky sales pitch to formulate. But have a go, if you rate your powers of persuasion...
    The interesting thing is that the Brexit leadership never did promise any economic benefits, it is only the followers whether they be the media or the man in the street who took up the cudgels to make that ill informed argument.

I can’t read the article but from your comment I would say that they still don’t get it unless they are talking about how many years it would take us to recover after we rejoined. Even if that happened tomorrow most of us would be long in the ground before we recovered and it is debatable whether we ever would
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Interesting how the Brexit negs are playing out in NI

DUP becoming less subtle with Steve Baker regarding the incoming Labour government, who've indicated they'll sign an SPS agreement

It's very 'Nice Brexit you have there, shame if anything happened to it'
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • briantrumpet
    And, apologies, nicked from Twitter:

"If we were - heaven forbid - to rejoin the EU, which Brexit benefit would you miss the most?"
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,393

"If we were - heaven forbid - to rejoin the EU, which Brexit benefit would you miss the most?"

Not being able to use the electronic passport controls at Palma airport and joining the massive EU passport queue.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974

Answers on the back of a stamp please. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,198

Not being able to use the electronic passport controls at Palma airport and joining the massive EU passport queue.
    Or go behind the big glass wall elsewhere, join the long line and get head shaked at by freedom of movementers...

Name me a Brexshit bonus.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    orraloon said:

Or go behind the big glass wall elsewhere, join the long line and get head shaked at by freedom of movementers...

Farage appears to have f*cked off somewhere.
  • Dorset_Boy
    webboo said:

orraloon said:

Heard yesterday he is to be found on GB News at 7 pm each night.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

webboo said:

orraloon said:

Who watches that.
  • Dorset_Boy
    webboo said:

webboo said:

orraloon said:

Who watches that.
    Quite a few Cakestoppers used to be well up on what was put out by GB News!
    I have no idea how to watch it and have no intention of finding out!
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    Will there be Telegraph readers baying for the blood of those who sold them the lies now? I imagine there will be quite a lot of anger and a desire to see heads roll in one way or another. Has the Daily Mail/Express accepted that the grass is not greener but scattered with bags of dog poo and empty cans of monster yet?
  • briantrumpet
    When Matthew Lynn of the Telegraph sounds like a CS leftie, you know things aren't good.

When the UK voted to leave the European Union, the purpose may have been to stop itself turning into the next Italy. It was hailed by supporters of Brexit as a chance to break free and forge a new path.

Now that that has clearly failed, the important lesson to learn from our southern neighbour is this. Countries that once had bright prospects can turn into basket cases very quickly. No one would have predicted that fate for Italy at the moment of “Il sorpasso”, but it is what happened, and it can happen to the UK as well.

And once a country sets itself down that path, the outlook is very bleak, with growth stalled, technocrats struggling to keep control, and angry extremists such as the incoming Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni rising to power. It doesn’t sound very British – but the dismal truth is that this now appears to be the UK's future.

Seems he's given up on the "It's too early to tell" smokescreen" of Brexshit denial.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,659
    Remember when Brexiters kept using Greece as an example to argue Brexit made sense?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,536

Which rejoin benefit would affect you the most? Relief from obsession?
  • briantrumpet

Ooh, I dunno, which one to pick... easier trading with the EU and better standard of life in the UK, the ability to live and work (or retire) in EU countries without visas, the ease with which EU migrant workers can fill key roles in the UK, that kinda thing. You know, all the stuff that Thatcher banged on about, I suppose.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,536

Ooh, I dunno, which one to pick... easier trading with the EU and better standard of life in the UK, the ability to live and work (or retire) in EU countries without visas, the ease with which EU migrant workers can fill key roles in the UK, that kinda thing. You know, all the stuff that Thatcher banged on about, I suppose.
    How many of those actually affect you?
  • briantrumpet

How many of those actually affect you?

All of them one way or another. The whole point of Brexit was to create barriers which hadn't existed for a generation.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692

Free trade with the EU would enable us to regain the couple of million in lost retail sales into the EU. Then we might be able to employ some staff to replace those that got laid off as a result of the lost sales.
    My only consolation is that two of those that got laid off had been very proud of being pro-brexit in the run up to the vote. They got a lot quieter as reality bit. But then anyone stupid enough to vote to make business with half of our customers harder deserves everything they got.