BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Guy Hands, a long-time Conservative supporter and the founder of the investment firm Terra Firma, has told BBC Radio 4 listeners that the UK economy is “frankly doomed”.

He warned that Britons will face steadily increasing taxes, steadily decreasing social services, higher interest rates and the need for a “bailout from the IMF” in the long term if the next Tory leader doesn’t renegotiate the Brexit deal.

He said that Britain was on track to become the “sick man of Europe”.

That would be fun.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2022/oct/24/uk-politics-live-rishi-sunak-penny-mordaunt-boris-johnson-withdrawal-nominations-deadline-tory-leadership-contest-race
    reversing Brexit will just postpone the day of reckoning.

Look at the squealing to find a bare minimum £40bn to get us to the end of this Parliament
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,660
    edited October 2022
    Decade of under investment is beginning to bite.

The good news is it's still really warm. Every warm day reduces the gov't liabilities by what, £500m?
  • Decade of under investment is beginning to bite.

The good news is it's still really warm. Every warm day reduces the gov't liabilities by what, £500m?

decades of overspending are beginning to bite
  • rick_chasey

With the level austerity Britain had? Tempted to tell you to f off with that line.

• Decade of under investment is beginning to bite.

With the level austerity Britain had? Tempted to tell you to f off with that line.

we are still living beyond our means, hang around and you will see real austerity.
  • Decades of underinvestment and undertaxing are beginning to bite then.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129

we are still living beyond our means, hang around and you will see real austerity.
    yep

the uk has been running on empty a long time

the per capita gdp acceleration that slowly picked up from the 70s was fuelled by multiple factors, all of which are pretty much exhausted

joined eu - left it
    north sea oil/gas - way below the peak, money spent
    public utilities - sold off, money spent
    council housing - sold off, money spent

cost of pubic services driven up through a combination of outsourcing, de facto privatisation, pfi etc., combined with the bureaucratic dead weight to 'manage' the torrent of public money slurped up by the eager beneficiaries

on top of that, the revolving door of management consultancies employed to invent new organizational structures and systems in the insane expectation that slicing a shrinking pie a different way will somehow make it go further

limited natural resources, many unexploitable due to cost/pollution/nimbyism

switch to services was ok for a while, but that's over, combination of offshoring and technology

uk manufacturing weak in the face of lower-cost production, especially china

on the flip side the flood of low-cost offshore tat helped maintain living standards for many even while their income stagnated

the 2008 crash was the final straw, the uk still hasn't recovered

we produce too little, we spend too much

the party is over, time for a long painful hangover
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • The amount of people who need in-work benefits is ridiculous - it's welfare for businesses.
  • The amount of people who need in-work benefits is ridiculous - it's welfare for businesses.

it is absolutely insane that the Govt subsidises wages for Tesco
  • sungod said:

yep

the uk has been running on empty a long time

the per capita gdp acceleration that slowly picked up from the 70s was fuelled by multiple factors, all of which are pretty much exhausted

joined eu - left it
    north sea oil/gas - way below the peak, money spent
    public utilities - sold off, money spent
    council housing - sold off, money spent

cost of pubic services driven up through a combination of outsourcing, de facto privatisation, pfi etc., combined with the bureaucratic dead weight to 'manage' the torrent of public money slurped up by the eager beneficiaries

on top of that, the revolving door of management consultancies employed to invent new organizational structures and systems in the insane expectation that slicing a shrinking pie a different way will somehow make it go further

limited natural resources, many unexploitable due to cost/pollution/nimbyism

switch to services was ok for a while, but that's over, combination of offshoring and technology

uk manufacturing weak in the face of lower-cost production, especially china

on the flip side the flood of low-cost offshore tat helped maintain living standards for many even while their income stagnated

the 2008 crash was the final straw, the uk still hasn't recovered

we produce too little, we spend too much

the party is over, time for a long painful hangover
    In general I agree with you but think the mega trend that is very hard to buck is that this is what reality now looks like in the developed world. As you say any improvements in the overall standard of living will be driven by tech.

Like with Brexit until the reality is accepted it will be impossible to formulate policies to make the best of the situation.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    The problem if we rejoined is that we wouldn't have as big a voice as we did when we left. Although I suspect the EU would quite like to have us back to show other members how bad an idea leaving would be. To be honest I'd settle for us to get some formal arrangement without fully rejoining. Sample size on that poll makes it fairly meaningless.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    Pross said:

The problem if we rejoined is that we wouldn't have as big a voice as we did when we left. Although I suspect the EU would quite like to have us back to show other members how bad an idea leaving would be. To be honest I'd settle for us to get some formal arrangement without fully rejoining. Sample size on that poll makes it fairly meaningless.

Agree with all of that. But as a rough indicator of lessening resistance to the concept of the EU (and maybe increasing acceptance of its benefits), it's not without interest. I suppose one could almost call the shitshow of Brexit a Brexit benefit, as people have twigged that the biggest problems never were to do with the EU, and the economic benefits of co-operation are being illustrated plainly.
  • Pross said:

Agree with all of that. But as a rough indicator of lessening resistance to the concept of the EU (and maybe increasing acceptance of its benefits), it's not without interest. I suppose one could almost call the shitshow of Brexit a Brexit benefit, as people have twigged that the biggest problems never were to do with the EU, and the economic benefits of co-operation are being illustrated plainly.
    I really think that you are other rejoiners are going to have to reconcile yourself to the fact that it will not happen in your lifetime. I think this needs to be accepted so that we can move forwards with strengthening our relationship with the EU.

Brexiteers don't accept that we have left but I suspect the reality is that they mirror your hopes with their fears that rejoining is a possibility.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540

Pross said:

I really think that you are other rejoiners are going to have to reconcile yourself to the fact that it will not happen in your lifetime. I think this needs to be accepted so that we can move forwards with strengthening our relationship with the EU.

Brexiteers don't accept that we have left but I suspect the reality is that they mirror your hopes with their fears that rejoining is a possibility.

I'd make do with SM & CU in my lifetime. Can't see there being an appetite for €, which I think would be a precondition. And in any case, can't see the EU wanting the UK back in any time soon, given the recent history, without preconditions so stringent that the UK wouldn't accept. The fvck-up was leaving such a good deal in the first place: if you wanted to imagine a 'best of both worlds' arrangement, it was what we had.
  • Pross said:

I'd make do with SM & CU in my lifetime. Can't see there being an appetite for €, which I think would be a precondition. And in any case, can't see the EU wanting the UK back in any time soon, given the recent history, without preconditions so stringent that the UK wouldn't accept. The fvck-up was leaving such a good deal in the first place: if you wanted to imagine a 'best of both worlds' arrangement, it was what we had.
    Norway was always the best option but that is probably because it looks most like not leaving. I think that could happen relatively soon. Once it becomes apparent that raising long term growth is next to impossible then the only easy option will become a bigger and bigger elephant in the room.

Mark Carney's quote of UK economy going from 90% to 70% of Germany is so staggering that it is barely believable and as more come out the noise will get louder
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    How rabid a Brexiteer was Sunak? Did he actively campaign for it or just vote for it? If the latter then hopefully he'll go some way towards softening things (if allowed).
  • rick_chasey

Pross said:

Norway was always the best option but that is probably because it looks most like not leaving. I think that could happen relatively soon. Once it becomes apparent that raising long term growth is next to impossible then the only easy option will become a bigger and bigger elephant in the room.

Mark Carney's quote of UK economy going from 90% to 70% of Germany is so staggering that it is barely believable and as more come out the noise will get louder
    2% compounded over 6 years...

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,614

Pross said:

On what basis is that alleged change in relative sizes of the UK and German economies measured?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

On what basis is that alleged change in relative sizes of the UK and German economies measured?
    The comparison includes the change in EUR/GBP exchange rate, doubtless cherry-picked to be the highest immediately pre-referendum to the lowest in the Truss era.
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2022
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

*alleged* lol mate you can look it up

• Stevo_666
    edited October 2022
    Have a look at these GDP stats.
    https://statista.com/statistics/959301/gdp-of-europes-biggest-economies/
    Looking at 2016 vs 2021 it goes from approx 78.7% to 75.4%. Most of which can probably be accounted for by the exchange rate movements (measured in USD).

Sorry, but the claim is Eurobollox.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    And as SC said, 'barely believable'. Now we know why. And yet you swallowed it hook line and sinker, because you wanted to believe it :)
  • Carney's UK figures look a bit dodgy. Per ONS, GDP (indexed to 100 in 2019 and excluding the impact of inflation / GDP deflator) in Jan 2016 was 93.1; the most recent (Aug 2022) is 100.1.

So the UK economy only increasing in size from £2.10t to £2.17t doesn't look quite right as that's circa 3% absolute growth when there is 7% real growth plus 6 years of inflation that should be accounted for.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

*alleged* lol mate you can look it up

What surprises me the most is the 90% figure as that would have made us richer on a per capita basis.

I would have measured in $$$ in 2015 before he put it in the manifesto
  • Stevo_666
    I suppose this is the risk of getting a lot of your info from Twitterati with biases and/or agendas, no matter how superficially knowledgeable or qualified. Always best to fact check that sort of thing.
  • Pross said:

2% compounded over 6 years...

that does not get to 20%
  • The numbers smell like bullsh!t to me. Use of the word "now" seems suspect.
  • The numbers smell like bullsh!t to me. Use of the word "now" seems suspect.

it is annoying becuase there will be a story to tell but it will get lost in the dodgy stats
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2022
    Whatever format the stats are given, people will moan.

This is the one thing I have learned on this forum, that to even mention a stat is to draw the discussion away from the argument the stats are there to support ( or not), and instead to the approach of measurement.

People like to see the trees to avoid looking at the wood.