BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

pangolin said:

A common argument on here: is Brexit done? Fact checked by the BBC today:

Johnson's Brexit claim fact-checked
    In his speech earlier, Boris Johnson paid tribute to the people in his government who’d “got Brexit done” - a claim he’s made many times before.

In a literal sense, the UK did leave the EU on 31 January 2020.

But if this slogan implied Brexit would be done and dusted, this has clearly not happened.

A huge amount remains unresolved, from Northern Ireland to financial services.

A large number of trade deals have been signed around the world (the vast majority of which simply replace the ones the UK already had as an EU member), but a deal with the US hasn't happened.

The Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR), which makes economic judgements for the government, predicts that leaving the EU will reduce the UK's imports and exports by about 15% in the long term, with about a 4% hit to productivity.

Supporters of Brexit say sovereignty has been restored, and unwanted regulations can now be cut.

You can read about Boris Johnson's other pledges and whether he met them here.
    Did Lincoln get the Civil War done? any people in the south of USA believe that the Civil War is not over and merely in abeyance.

Did the Allies get WW2 done or is the current issue in Ukraine the latest continuance of that.

As a literal person I am genuinely intrigued what else people consider "not done"
    The great thing about the BBC quote is that both sides with think it supports their view.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,654
    Did Lincoln get the civil war done, now there's a question.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    edited September 2022

Did Lincoln get the civil war done, now there's a question.

Surely there is a stronger case to argue that WW2 is ongoing?

edited to add that it is probably a stronger argument that WW1 is still ongoing
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2022
    Not a fan of Clausewitz?
  • Did Lincoln get the civil war done, now there's a question.

I would contest that humanity is ongoing.
  • Did Lincoln get the civil war done, now there's a question.

I would contest that humanity is ongoing.
    In fact, I would contest the contest, that reality as we know it is on going.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,608
    If this is the sort of stuff that is being debated on here now, then I think we can say:

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    morstar said:

In the supermarket the other day I had this exchange over Pringles…

Guy is shaking tubes to find the full ones.

Me: “You need to be careful, some of the tubes are different sizes”. (Some 200g and some 165g all mixed together).

Him: “It’s that European sizing they’re forcing on us. I don’t know why, we voted out of all that”.

Me: Dumbfounded silence. Another argument for passing a test before voting on anything.

Do people really do that? It might explain why the crisps are smashed to pieces whenever I have them!
  • JP Morgan has drawn up plans to shift work from offices in Germany into the City of London as finance companies brace for potential blackouts in the EU's biggest economy....

To do and plan for this, they must see power outages as a real concern.
  • rick_chasey

JP Morgan has drawn up plans to shift work from offices in Germany into the City of London as finance companies brace for potential blackouts in the EU's biggest economy....

I read someone who was looking at German energy policy and they said "They can't have a go at Brexit incompetence anymore as this is special in how bad it is"
  • JP Morgan has drawn up plans to shift work from offices in Germany into the City of London as finance companies brace for potential blackouts in the EU's biggest economy....

I read someone who was looking at German energy policy and they said "They can't have a go at Brexit incompetence anymore as this is special in how bad it is"
    On a positive note, all this craziness might help EU/Countries forget about our craziness.
  • rick_chasey
    Should add the writer is a signed up Russophobe (Polish background) and he's been writing for a while about the perils of treating Russia as anything but a pariah state, so you can see where the writer is coming from.

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

JP Morgan has drawn up plans to shift work from offices in Germany into the City of London as finance companies brace for potential blackouts in the EU's biggest economy....

On a positive note, all this craziness might help EU/Countries forget about our craziness.
    From both sides, it is time to start moving forwards.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,920
    edited September 2022
    morstar said:

From both sides, it is time to start moving forwards.
    Well. There comes a time when the new crazy becomes the control of craziness.
  • DUP/Unionism not happy

Truss already seems to be scaling back talk of Article 16

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Interesting move from Truss, if as reported.

The EU have taken legal action against the UK due to the unilateral extension of the grace periods.

The UK had until September 15th to respond

It's being reported that the UK will *ask* to extend the grace periods, a request the EU will look favourably at.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    Yep, that seemed a bit of a strange call. It was all the other stuff that finished him off.
  • rick_chasey
    It’s more Britain has entered the Italy realm of a country to laugh at.

I often looked at Italy and wondered what it was about them that made them vote for Berlusconi. No need to wonder now.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,608
    edited September 2022

It’s more Britain has entered the Italy realm of a country to laugh at.

I often looked at Italy and wondered what it was about them that made them vote for Berlusconi. No need to wonder now.

I'd be more worried about Italy if I were you.
    https://telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/09/02/revenge-bundesbank-spells-serious-trouble-italy/
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • "Brexit Hard Man" Steve Baker has been appointed to the Northern Ireland Office

• rick_chasey

"Brexit Hard Man" Steve Baker has been appointed to the Northern Ireland Office

What a disaster.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974
    I’m assuming when asked for volunteers he took one step back and everyone else took two. Nobody in their right mind would want that job.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • "Brexit Hard Man" Steve Baker has been appointed to the Northern Ireland Office

What a disaster.
    Yup
    He didn't deserve that

• pblakeney said:

I’m assuming when asked for volunteers he took one step back and everyone else took two. Nobody in their right mind would want that job.

There's a joke in Yes, Prime Minister that the best thing about being Prime Minister is that no one can send you to NI
  • rick_chasey

What a disaster.
    Yup
    He didn't deserve that

Eh?

He deserves to have his entire political career burned to the ground.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,092

What a disaster.
    Yup
    He didn't deserve that

Eh?

He deserves to have his entire political career burned to the ground.
    I would guess he's there so he can't cause trouble for Truss. I don't think he'll have any real power as a junior minister.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,092
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,534
    Update on EU's offer in FT.

https://archive.ph/SVQTO