Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Welcome to the Brexit ✌🏻

This is what hard borders look like

Think about it. Brits leave EU to make a hard border with France. Complains France isn’t making it easy to come in.

Duuuuh

That's fine, I'm sure quite a few people will take their holiday money to countries that don't make it so difficult. If it was simpy a Brexit issue, it would be similar for people going to any European country, but I don't recall anyone having massive issues with places like Spain.
    Let us know which other countries will wave you in without looking at your passport properly Stevo.
    There's a subtle difference between that and creating day long traffic queues by undermanning border posts...
    They were undermanned for for a few hours. The queues haven't miraculously disappeared.
    I don't recall anyone who has been travelling going Europe recently complaining complaining about queues (whether for holdays or on business), apart from this recent issue with French border control.
    I don't remember the school summer holidays starting any other weekend either. The test of the system is always going to be when it is at its busiest.

That said there were queues on Eurostar last month due to additional checks needed before boarding.
    Have we had reports of big queues at say Spanish or Portuguese border controls in the last week? The common theme with these problems seems to be that the French are involved.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605

.As someone who I know who pays French taxes said, why should they more tax to sort out the problems the UK created for itself? If the UK government didn't know what the French can be like normally, or even more so when they want to make a point, then they really are delusional. It's the sort of situation that the Gallic shrug was invented for.

The whole point about Dover and the Tunnel is that they operated as a high speed gateway to mainland Europe, and while we were in the EU, it was high speed, as anyone who observed either operation could easily see. The UK chose to make both into bottlenecks.

France should close the border and save loads of money on taxes. A flawless idea.
    :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

The French taxpayer isn't making Brexit Work.

The French government is trying to make thing difficult to make a point. As long as Macron is in power, we will likely have more of this pettiness.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760

As of next year, with the introduction of the Schengen visa, this would probably have happened whether we were still members of the EU or not. It has happened a year early due to Brexit and the French deliberately failing to provide sufficient staffing levels for the volume of traffic they knew was coming.

Not convinced this would be true in that alternative universe - we'll see what additional checks are introduced for Ireland. My guess is none.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Welcome to the Brexit ✌🏻

Think about it. Brits leave EU to make a hard border with France. Complains France isn’t making it easy to come in.

Duuuuh

That's fine, I'm sure quite a few people will take their holiday money to countries that don't make it so difficult. If it was simpy a Brexit issue, it would be similar for people going to any European country, but I don't recall anyone having massive issues with places like Spain.
    Let us know which other countries will wave you in without looking at your passport properly Stevo.
    There's a subtle difference between that and creating day long traffic queues by undermanning border posts...
    They were undermanned for for a few hours. The queues haven't miraculously disappeared.
    I don't recall anyone who has been travelling going Europe recently complaining about queues (whether for holdays or on business), apart from this recent issue with French border control.
    See up thread two examples of other borders with longer queues.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Welcome to the Brexit ✌🏻

Duuuuh

I don't recall anyone who has been travelling going Europe recently complaining complaining about queues (whether for holdays or on business), apart from this recent issue with French border control.
    I don't remember the school summer holidays starting any other weekend either. The test of the system is always going to be when it is at its busiest.

That said there were queues on Eurostar last month due to additional checks needed before boarding.
    Have we had reports of big queues at say Spanish or Portuguese border controls in the last week? The common theme with these problems seems to be that the French are involved.
    Are you arguing that these queues are nothing to do with Brexit?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Stevo_666 said:

The French taxpayer isn't making Brexit Work.

The French government is trying to make thing difficult to make a point. As long as Macron is in power, we will likely have more of this pettiness.
    They've delivered on Tory promises to stop the channel crossings.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    At some point 2 things need to sink in

Firstly there are implications to the decisions the UK have made. It's going to take longer to pass through border controls because there are more checks and procedures now we're outside the EU.

Secondly the EU aren't going to make exceptions for the UK, even if it costs the EU, and even if the UK unilaterally makes exceptions for the EU

Sooner these truths are accepted the sooner we can either move to negotiate these things away or learn to live with them.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    If all the passport booths are manned (which now seems to be the case) how does sending more staff help?

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    We are so through the looking glass now that were I the politician making that point my next line would be, "Does knowing either of those things change the way you'd have voted?"
    "No?"
    "Let's continue then..."

They're literally lying because they've forgotten how to tell the truth now...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    My summary.

"We want to control our border."
    "We don't want to stop at the border."

Lunacy. Clearly what is meant is others are to be stopped at borders but not us.
    How border control are supposed to know who "we" are is never explained.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,391
    Jezyboy said:

If all the passport booths are manned (which now seems to be the case) how does sending more staff help?

Port of Dover said that not all the French passport booths were staffed on Friday and Saturday, hence making the situation worse than it needed to be.

I don't know if additional booths have been installed to cope with the extra time it takes each vehicle to pass through, so if say 6 were needed before, 10 may be needed now. If only 4 were being staffed then that caused the delays.

It's pretty sad that making a point is still going on (from both sides) and they can't both grow up a little. Not all the blame here should be on the UK. But the French are building a track record of pissing off travellers (see the sub 30 hour notice of the border closure at Christmas).
  • Dorset_Boy
    edited July 2022

Firstly there are implications to the decisions the UK have made. It's going to take longer to pass through border controls because there are more checks and procedures now we're outside the EU.

Secondly the EU aren't going to make exceptions for the UK, even if it costs the EU, and even if the UK unilaterally makes exceptions for the EU

Sooner these truths are accepted the sooner we can either move to negotiate these things away or learn to live with them.

It took no longer than normal to pass through border controls at LHR and Geneva airport (a Schengen border) on 3rd and 10th July when I travelled, or indeed at Christmas flying from BRS to GVA, even though passports had to be stamped. If sufficient border control staff are on duty to cope with the demand / passenger flow, if may take an individual an extra 30 seconds to pass through, but the queues won't build up.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    edited July 2022
    You voted Brexit didn’t you?

Why wouldn’t the French want to “control” their border too?

Duuuh.

What the f@ck do you think was going to happen?

So stupid and so predictable all of it.
  • Dorset_Boy

Duuuh.

No I didn't vote for Brexit. I have been very clear on that plenty of times. You need to calm down sometimes. :o

Where have I suggested I have a problem with scanning and stamping passports? Passports have been scanned at the border for a number of years, both at airports and ports. It is sensible.
    I do have an issue with deliberately understaffing the border to cause maximum inconvenience and hassle, just to make a petty point.
  • ddraver
    You do have the Brexiter mindset that we occupy any space at all in the minds of people still in the EU though...
    - @ddraver
  • At some point 2 things need to sink in

It took no longer than normal to pass through border controls at LHR and Geneva airport (a Schengen border) on 3rd and 10th July when I travelled, or indeed at Christmas flying from BRS to GVA, even though passports had to be stamped. If sufficient border control staff are on duty to cope with the demand / passenger flow, if may take an individual an extra 30 seconds to pass through, but the queues won't build up.
    There were circa 10,000 cars each day at Dover over the weekend, so approximately 30,000 passports to be checked, with 15,000 extra minutes (250 hours) of checking at 30s extra per passport. That could add up to a few queues.
  • Dorset_Boy
    ddraver said:

You do have the Brexiter mindset that we occupy any space at all in the minds of people still in the EU though...

What a load of bollocks!

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    edited July 2022

Duuuh.

No I didn't vote for Brexit. I have been very clear on that plenty of times. You need to calm down sometimes. :o

Where have I suggested I have a problem with scanning and stamping passports? Passports have been scanned at the border for a number of years, both at airports and ports. It is sensible.
    I do have an issue with deliberately understaffing the border to cause maximum inconvenience and hassle, just to make a petty point.
    What petty point is the UK making with the woeful understaffing in our airports this spring/summer? Or is that different?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • tailwindhome

OK.

Saying more resources are required to cope with extra checks doesn't contradict anything I've written
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760

The first day of the holiday season turned into a traffic nightmare for travellers, with many stuck in traffic jams on the A2, A20 and M20 for up to 12 hours while they waited to cross the Channel and start their summer breaks in France and beyond.

The Port of Dover authority said: “The French border control booths have been seriously understaffed overnight with only three booths available for tourists out of a potential seven.

“At one stage, only one French officer was available to check passengers on hundreds of coaches, resulting in each coach taking 40 minutes to process.

“The Port of Dover, which has no authority over French border operations, raised concerns over French manning levels with the UK government earlier this week and the government, in turn, raised the issue with its French counterparts.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/23/port-of-dover-seven-hour-delays-border-checks-france

July 2016

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091

A recent internal review of the Border Force suggested it was barely coping with the demands on it and needed fundamental overhaul. A request to install additional checkpoint booths at Dover was refused. I'm sure the French are not going out of their way to be helpful. Plus ça change. It would be a stronger argument if we were absolutely in shape on our side of things.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Anybody who thinks this is the French being awkward have no imagination.

It would be very easy to take an additional 30 seconds per passport
  • ddraver
    edited July 2022

ddraver said:

What a load of bollocks!

'tis indeed.

Hardest breakup in the world is when you end it and they move on much quicker than you innit...

- @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Welcome to the Brexit ✌🏻

Duuuuh

Border controls are dealt with differently at airports, flying into France hasn't brought any reported issues either. That doesn't help those travelling by ferry.
  • ddraver
    edited July 2022
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532

The first day of the holiday season turned into a traffic nightmare for travellers, with many stuck in traffic jams on the A2, A20 and M20 for up to 12 hours while they waited to cross the Channel and start their summer breaks in France and beyond.

The Port of Dover authority said: “The French border control booths have been seriously understaffed overnight with only three booths available for tourists out of a potential seven.

“At one stage, only one French officer was available to check passengers on hundreds of coaches, resulting in each coach taking 40 minutes to process.

“The Port of Dover, which has no authority over French border operations, raised concerns over French manning levels with the UK government earlier this week and the government, in turn, raised the issue with its French counterparts.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/23/port-of-dover-seven-hour-delays-border-checks-france

July 2016

That's because of the Brexit vote though.
  • Stevo_666
    And to sum up the argument a lot of p

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Welcome to the Brexit ✌🏻

Duuuuh

Are you arguing that these queues are nothing to do with Brexit?
    I am saying that a major factor is the French approach to this.
  • Stevo_666

ddraver said:

What a load of bollocks!

But but but Bwexit ! Kinda sums up what this thread is about these days...
  • feelgoodlost
    feelgoodlost Posts: 330
    Got to love the attitude that it's everyone else's fault but our own.