BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

No waaaaay. Almost like leaving a big trading bloc lost the UK’s leverage for defining standards

I think in the case of that deal we just gave Australia whatever they asked for. The Aussies couldn't believe their luck IIRC.
    You need to think like a negotiator, not like a Cake Stopper.
    If only Truss had. Timtams, eh? And slightly cheaper Jacob's Creek.
    I think you're assuming it is a bad deal. If you have looked at the details then let me know and explain why its bad.
    It came up because Uk is loosening animal warfare rules to accommodate the deal.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

No waaaaay. Almost like leaving a big trading bloc lost the UK’s leverage for defining standards

I think in the case of that deal we just gave Australia whatever they asked for. The Aussies couldn't believe their luck IIRC.
    I think you're assuming it is a bad deal. If you have looked at the details then let me know and explain why its bad.
    It came up because Uk is loosening animal warfare rules to accommodate the deal.
    So has Australia forced the UK to amend its own laws on animal welfare?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    pangolin said:
    Not overselling is not the same as being bad. What in your own words are the reasons why its a bad deal?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pangolin
    Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:
    Not overselling is not the same as being bad. What in your own words are the reasons why its a bad deal?
    I've linked you to a fairly digestible summary of some reasons that it's bad for the UK. Not sure what me rewording it achieves - that's an irrelevant hoop you've added so you can claim a 'win'. Enjoy.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2022
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Not so much forced as the UK gave it up as much as for allowing less stringent farming methods in their produce to be sold in the Uk.

https://www.fwi.co.uk/business/markets-and-trends/meat-prices/uk-australia-trade-deal-will-carry-high-animal-welfare-cost
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

You need to think like a negotiator with very little to offer and desperation to be seen to have got a deal outside of the EU.
    So have you or anyone else actually analysed the trade agreement with Aus and come to a reasoned conclusion on this? Or are you just assuming as RJS seems to be?
    I've looked at it. We can send a few more gap year students over there to work, which seems only fair. Lawyers don't need to requalify to work in Aus. And we can import slightly cheaper rubbish wine.

It seems pretty small beer in exchange for undermining our food and animal welfare standards - one of the things we were actually very good at.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

There's a relationship between animal welfare standards and production costs, the importation of food from Australia, where there is a lot of extensive farming with pretty terrible animal welfare practices, will undercut UK producers.

l believe there's major concern that over the next 8-15 years there will be no restrictions on quantity of Australian imports into the UK market. If we are to maintain welfare standards UK producers will not be competitive. If we keep our (genuinely world class) animal welfare standards, this deal risks the viability of UK businesses. While some may consider that not to be a big problem, food security should be a major priority for any country. Food is pretty important and the past couple of years have hopefully taught us that relying on global supply chains has its own hazards.

Of course, we could just get rid of livestock farming and all go vegan, but that would be a pretty shit existence. I'd also need to find a new job which would be pretty shit too.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Not so much forced as the UK gave it up as much as for allowing less stringent farming methods in their produce to be sold in the Uk.

https://www.fwi.co.uk/business/markets-and-trends/meat-prices/uk-australia-trade-deal-will-carry-high-animal-welfare-cost
    Is anyone forcing you to buy Aussie beef?
  • rick_chasey
    *facepalm*
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

😂

Sure you can do a bit better than that.

I mean, we could have said, "sure we will remove tariffs for the products and that meet our welfare and food hygiene standards, but not for the sow crates, etc". Instead we have just put our home producers at an additional disadvantage. In return for some cooking wine and working holidays for gap h year kids.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

There's a relationship between animal welfare standards and production costs, the importation of food from Australia, where there is a lot of extensive farming with pretty terrible animal welfare practices, will undercut UK producers.

l believe there's major concern that over the next 8-15 years there will be no restrictions on quantity of Australian imports into the UK market. If we are to maintain welfare standards UK producers will not be competitive. If we keep our (genuinely world class) animal welfare standards, this deal risks the viability of UK businesses. While some may consider that not to be a big problem, food security should be a major priority for any country. Food is pretty important and the past couple of years have hopefully taught us that relying on global supply chains has its own hazards.

Of course, we could just get rid of livestock farming and all go vegan, but that would be a pretty censored existence. I'd also need to find a new job which would be pretty censored too.
    Interesting views - thanks for commenting. That was my (uninformed) take on the deal. I’m also keen to keep eating meat (although I do so less often these days) from sustainable sources with decent quality and welfare controls. I have the luxury of being able to afford this, whilst not being so removed from reality that I can’t understand the risks of cheap meat imports.

Do you work in the livestock/farming industry?
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

😂

Sure you can do a bit better than that.

I mean, we could have said, "sure we will remove tariffs for the products and that meet our welfare and food hygiene standards, but not for the sow crates, etc". Instead we have just put our home producers at an additional disadvantage. In return for some cooking wine and working holidays for gap h year kids.
    Don't need to. Rick had no reasoned reply.
  • Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:
    I've linked you to a fairly digestible summary of some reasons that it's bad for the UK. Not sure what me rewording it achieves - that's an irrelevant hoop you've added so you can claim a 'win'. Enjoy.
    Not claiming a win as I don't know what point you're trying to make. If you only explained it succinctly - I'm too busy to read reports.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Of course, we could just get rid of livestock farming and all go vegan, but that would be a pretty censored existence. I'd also need to find a new job which would be pretty censored too.
    Of course they have transportation costs as well.

But from what you are saying there are quotas? Some of this will depend on whether we produce enough of whatever it is and if the answer is no then it makes sense to import.
  • pangolin
    Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:
    Not claiming a win as I don't know what point you're trying to make. If you only explained it succinctly - I'm too busy to read reports.
    The link is to a succinct summary of the report.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    The link doesn’t mention quotas at all. Takes about 3 mins to read. Sounds like a pretty poor deal, badly negotiated - who’d have thought that of a Spaffer govt.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,537
    How about we do some trade deals with countries that allow slave/child labour? That would bring down costs to consumers, and people can always choose not to buy the products. Could get some pretty big trade deals...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    'Tells France'

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,537
    She needs a spot in The Day Today. She'd smash it. Move over Chris Morris.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128

'Tells France'

french tell truss, "your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries"
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • HilaryAmin
    HilaryAmin Posts: 160
    Stevo says:

1. queuing is all part of a holiday
    2. It's nothing to do with Brexit
    3. No one is forcing people to go to France
    4. It's the exception that proves the rule

Or some other bullshit.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,391
    Port of Dover say there are insufficient French border folk to check and stamp passports at Dover (which is where the checks take place). The French knew this would be a very, very busy few days but just shrugged their shoulders in a gallic way.
    There's also one P&O boat still out of action reducing capacity.
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2022
    Welcome to the Brexit ✌🏻

This is what hard borders look like

Think about it. Brits leave EU to make a hard border with France. Complains France isn’t making it easy to come in.

Duuuuh
  • rakkor
    rakkor Posts: 53
    Don't forget our Government refuse to increase the number of passport booths at Dover

https://cityam.com/govt-rejects-33m-proposal-for-more-passport-booths-at-dover-leaving-longer-queues-more-likely/
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    edited July 2022
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

But from what you are saying there are quotas? Some of this will depend on whether we produce enough of whatever it is and if the answer is no then it makes sense to import.
    This is the problem, low welfare extensive farming can be done so cheaply that despite having to transport food halfway across the world, it can still undercut UK prices. As an aside, even drug fuelled, low-welfare, high-input feedlot farming as is popular in the US and South America is cheap enough that they can undercut UK suppliers, it’s also terrible for the environment and usually where the headline figures for the environmental impact of farming are derived from.

Quotas are due to exist for the short term, something like 6 years on dairy produce, 15 years is the maximum but I forget what it’s for. Once the safeguards are gone we’re completely open to Aus imports.

Supply vs demand is an interesting one- if we don’t produce enough of something I’d say we should be looking to increase our production and food security, not rely on imports that risk sending more UK producers out of business and thus exacerbating the problem. It’s interesting that other countries who have historically relied on food imports are now putting major efforts into producing more of their own food, yet the UK seem to be happy to go the other way.

• skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

This is the problem, low welfare extensive farming can be done so cheaply that despite having to transport food halfway across the world, it can still undercut UK prices. As an aside, even drug fuelled, low-welfare, high-input feedlot farming as is popular in the US and South America is cheap enough that they can undercut UK suppliers, it’s also terrible for the environment and usually where the headline figures for the environmental impact of farming are derived from.

Quotas are due to exist for the short term, something like 6 years on dairy produce, 15 years is the maximum but I forget what it’s for. Once the safeguards are gone we’re completely open to Aus imports.

Supply vs demand is an interesting one- if we don’t produce enough of something I’d say we should be looking to increase our production and food security, not rely on imports that risk sending more UK producers out of business and thus exacerbating the problem. It’s interesting that other countries who have historically relied on food imports are now putting major efforts into producing more of their own food, yet the UK seem to be happy to go the other way.

Thanks for posting. Always interesting to hear from people in different industries about how Brexit is affecting things.

• rick_chasey
    In my world pre 2020 we did 90% of projects in London, 10% on the continent.

Since then it’s been about 60% London 40% Continent.

Big shift. Seems permanent.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Thanks for posting. Always interesting to hear from people in different industries about how Brexit is affecting things.

Still no point arguing a Government policy is bad from a position of knowledge. Everyone knows we've had enough of experts (mainly as they all argued Brexit was bad before it happened).