• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605

Stevo says:

1. queuing is all part of a holiday
    2. It's nothing to do with Brexit
    3. No one is forcing people to go to France
    4. It's the exception that proves the rule

Or some other bullshit.

Where did I say that? PS: how much longer does my rent free period in your head last? ;)

Although I'm sure this bloke had absolutely nothing to do with it:
    https://telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/07/22/anti-britain-anti-brexit-minister-centre-dover-mayhem/
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

Welcome to the Brexit ✌🏻

This is what hard borders look like

Think about it. Brits leave EU to make a hard border with France. Complains France isn’t making it easy to come in.

Duuuuh

That's fine, I'm sure quite a few people will take their holiday money to countries that don't make it so difficult.
    That may be part of the way the UK adapts. I doubt it will happen in large numbers though as France is uniquely versatile and convenient as a holiday destination. (Cue the old joke about how God invented a country that was so much better than any other that during the pre-implementation review phase, he levelled things up by filling it with the French...)
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    Stevo_666 said:

Welcome to the Brexit ✌🏻

Think about it. Brits leave EU to make a hard border with France. Complains France isn’t making it easy to come in.

Duuuuh

That's fine, I'm sure quite a few people will take their holiday money to countries that don't make it so difficult. If it was simpy a Brexit issue, it would be similar for people going to any European country, but I don't recall anyone having massive issues with places like Spain.
    Let us know which other countries will wave you in without looking at your passport properly Stevo.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo says:

Or some other bullshit.

Where did I say that? PS: how much longer does my rent free period in your head last? ;)

https://telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/07/22/anti-britain-anti-brexit-minister-centre-dover-mayhem/
    You regularly say this but I'm not sure it's quite the argument winner you think. It's just criticising people for remembering others stances.

I guess I have done it here by remembering that you've used it before.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo says:

Or some other bullshit.

Apart from being French, he sounds like he'd fit in well to our current government.
  • Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Welcome to the Brexit ✌🏻

Duuuuh

That's fine, I'm sure quite a few people will take their holiday money to countries that don't make it so difficult. If it was simpy a Brexit issue, it would be similar for people going to any European country, but I don't recall anyone having massive issues with places like Spain.
    Let us know which other countries will wave you in without looking at your passport properly Stevo.
    There's a subtle difference between that and creating day long traffic queues by undermanning border posts...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo says:

Or some other bullshit.

You regularly say this but I'm not sure it's quite the argument winner you think. It's just criticising people for remembering others stances.

I guess I have done it here by remembering that you've used it before.
    Who's trying to win an argument there? I just think its quite amusing that Hilary and a few others post about me or what I say when I haven't actually said anything on the subject. Bit like those who don't contribute much to the debate but have the odd pot shot from the sidelines ;)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Stevo_666 said:

Welcome to the Brexit ✌🏻

Duuuuh

How do you know they all going to France rather than through it to somewhere else in Europe? I suspect the main reason this isn't happening elsewhere is that other ports with European connections don't have anything like the volume to deal with. I don't think anyone is being difficult.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Welcome to the Brexit ✌🏻

Duuuuh

There's a subtle difference between that and creating day long traffic queues by undermanning border posts...
    They were undermanned for for a few hours. The queues haven't miraculously disappeared.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pangolin

Stevo says:

Or some other bullshit.

Stevo_666 said:

Where did I say that?

Stevo_666 said:

2 of the 4 just in that post lol.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Welcome to the Brexit ✌🏻

Duuuuh

Not sure in a year or two there will be much difference. Passports were previously scanned. Now they are scanned and stamped. The stamp bit will disappear soon.
  • pangolin

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Welcome to the Brexit ✌🏻

Duuuuh

Not sure in a year or two there will be much difference. Passports were previously scanned. Now they are scanned and stamped. The stamp bit will disappear soon.
    I lived in Dubai for a bit and I think it was 2001 they started doing a quick (unmanned) passport + thumbprint scan. Bit depressing nothing has really shifted in over 20 years.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean
    pangolin said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Welcome to the Brexit ✌🏻

Duuuuh

I lived in Dubai for a bit and I think it was 2001 they started doing a quick (unmanned) passport + thumbprint scan. Bit depressing nothing has really shifted in over 20 years.
    The UK recently allowed nationals from a number of countries to use the electronic gate and, at the same time, stopped stamping passports. It had a significant impact on processing times as it meant all those super important questions that the immigration officers used to ask, no longer got asked.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I was speaking to a mate yesterday who had travelled on the Hull Rotterdam ferry a few weeks ago. As well as being quite slow to get off at the Dutch end, it was slower coming back through UK customs in Hull.
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    webboo said:

I was speaking to a mate yesterday who had travelled on the Hull Rotterdam ferry a few weeks ago. As well as being quite slow to get off at the Dutch end, it was slower coming back through UK customs in Hull.

Took me an hour and a half to get off the Dublin ferry arriving in Holyhead a few months back as well.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,537
    So just fûcking things up is now considered a win. Well, I suppose it's the only way the Tories can claim a success...

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Welcome to the Brexit ✌🏻

Duuuuh

How do you know they all going to France rather than through it to somewhere else in Europe? I suspect the main reason this isn't happening elsewhere is that other ports with European connections don't have anything like the volume to deal with. I don't think anyone is being difficult.
    It's likely the majority are going to France.
  • Stevo_666
    edited July 2022
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Welcome to the Brexit ✌🏻

Duuuuh

They were undermanned for for a few hours. The queues haven't miraculously disappeared.
    I don't recall anyone who has been travelling going Europe recently complaining about queues (whether for holdays or on business), apart from this recent issue with French border control.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Welcome to the Brexit ✌🏻

Duuuuh

I don't recall anyone who has been travelling going Europe recently complaining complaining about queues (whether for holdays or on business), apart from this recent issue with French border control.
    I don't remember the school summer holidays starting any other weekend either. The test of the system is always going to be when it is at its busiest.

That said there were queues on Eurostar last month due to additional checks needed before boarding.
  • wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,390
    edited July 2022
    Deleted as quoted wrong post.
  • kingstongraham
    It wouldn't have happened without Brexit, but given Brexit, it still didn't need to happen with the right planning. That makes Brexit responsible, but that is a given, so is not to blame. Apart from how it wouldn't have happened without it.
  • TheBigBean

It wouldn't have happened without Brexit, but given Brexit, it still didn't need to happen with the right planning. That makes Brexit responsible, but that is a given, so is not to blame. Apart from how it wouldn't have happened without it.

It wouldn't have happened if the UK had joined Schengen.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972

🤣🤣🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498

‘It’s the lazy French’s fault’ and ‘We weren’t in Schengen’ are the new Project Fear.

Real head in the sand stuff.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,537
    .As someone who I know who pays French taxes said, why should they more tax to sort out the problems the UK created for itself? If the UK government didn't know what the French can be like normally, or even more so when they want to make a point, then they really are delusional. It's the sort of situation that the Gallic shrug was invented for.

The whole point about Dover and the Tunnel is that they operated as a high speed gateway to mainland Europe, and while we were in the EU, it was high speed, as anyone who observed either operation could easily see. The UK chose to make both into bottlenecks.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    The French taxpayer isn't making Brexit Work.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean

‘It’s the lazy French’s fault’ and ‘We weren’t in Schengen’ are the new Project Fear.

Real head in the sand stuff.

For there to be no checks the UK would need to join Schengen. There would be fewer checks than now if the UK joined the EU. This can be misrepresented however you like.
  • TheBigBean

.As someone who I know who pays French taxes said, why should they more tax to sort out the problems the UK created for itself? If the UK government didn't know what the French can be like normally, or even more so when they want to make a point, then they really are delusional. It's the sort of situation that the Gallic shrug was invented for.

The whole point about Dover and the Tunnel is that they operated as a high speed gateway to mainland Europe, and while we were in the EU, it was high speed, as anyone who observed either operation could easily see. The UK chose to make both into bottlenecks.

France should close the border and save loads of money on taxes. A flawless idea.
  • kingstongraham

I agree this would be a fine idea, but also didn't happen when the UK wasn't in schengen. When it got busy, the "checks" could be loosened somewhat.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,391
    As of next year, with the introduction of the Schengen visa, this would probably have happened whether we were still members of the EU or not. It has happened a year early due to Brexit and the French deliberately failing to provide sufficient staffing levels for the volume of traffic they knew was coming.