BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Worth remembering this is the first summer post Brexit without heavy corona travel restrictions
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,537
    Ha. Found this photo of Dover from exactly two years ago. I got on an earlier ferry.

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    The obvious solution is to have a priority queue for Remainers and only when that is empty do people who voted for border control get to present their blue passports
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Old enough to remember the simple 'x seconds longer per car = queue of y' being project fear.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    ^ Ha, that's brilliant.
  • briantrumpet
    masjer said:

^ Ha, that's brilliant.

Yes, it's nicely done. All their own words. They missed out Raab's real or feigned ignorance about how much stuff went through Dover.

Brexit is still one of the stupidest ideas of modern times. I can almost understand that people who got persuaded by the mendacious bullshit still find it hard to admit their mistake.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    edited July 2022
    Any connection between Brexit/EU legislation and how ticket selling sites (Ticketmaster) are run?

Springsteen tickets for EU countries went on sell first. They were as you would expect reasonably expensive (standing c£90) and demand was huge. 2 Dublin gigs sold out in an hour or so, a 3rd added same day sold through that morning.

But the ticket prices remained unchanged.

The UK gigs went onsale using what I believe they call 'dynamic' pricing. As demand increases the price goes up

Edinburgh tickets (seated) are now c£480

(edited - was orginally on Viagogo looking at prices)

So why the difference?

Further edit - Standing in Villa Park - £435
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972

So why the difference?

Ha!
    Saw him play New Jersey (home crowd) for £65.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    pblakeney said:

So why the difference?

Ha!
    Saw him play New Jersey (home crowd) for £65.
    Lucky b@gger.
    Seen him a couple of times and we have tickets for Hyde park. Mrs had a priority booking code and we paid £90. Seen people saying it’s silly money so yes, there does seem to be something weird with ticket pricing.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    On the last tour he played in The Hague when I lived there and I could hear him from my flat. I've never been a huge fan but I wandered down and stood on a bench looking over the rear fence at the far end of the "park" where the screens looked as far away as the performers usually look at a festival. But he was still able to suck me in and make me feel part of the show.

He is exceptional.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    ddraver said:

On the last tour he played in The Hague when I lived there and I could hear him from my flat. I've never been a huge fan but I wandered down and stood on a bench looking over the rear fence at the far end of the "park" where the screens looked as far away as the performers usually look at a festival. But he was still able to suck me in and make me feel part of the show.

He is exceptional.

I’ve been a lifelong fan. But i tend to reckon any act with a career as long as his will generally have something good going on, even if they’re not your preferred thing.

My daughter saw Kiss when she worked at Download festival recently. Not at all her thing but she said they were amazing.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

masjer said:

^ Ha, that's brilliant.

Yes, it's nicely done. All their own words. They missed out Raab's real or feigned ignorance about how much stuff went through Dover.

Brexit is still one of the stupidest ideas of modern times. I can almost understand that people who got persuaded by the mendacious bullshit still find it hard to admit their mistake.
    I am in the back woods of Wales and can confirm that they voted for the stupidest idea in modern times because they are stupid. It was impossible not to over hear them explaining to each other that the problems were all down to the French and that the solution was to do it back to them.

I appreciate that continental Europe is a long way from here but surely they have seen a ma
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158

masjer said:

^ Ha, that's brilliant.

I am in the back woods of Wales and can confirm that they voted for the stupidest idea in modern times because they are stupid. It was impossible not to over hear them explaining to each other that the problems were all down to the French and that the solution was to do it back to them.

I appreciate that continental Europe is a long way from here but surely they have seen a ma
    Don't forget that my countrymen voted significantly more in favour of Brexit than the national average despite Wales having benefitted hugely from EU funding over the years. It's a bit embarrassing.
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2022

Could not believe how slow the passport queues are now off the boat at Harwich. They literally used to wave you on and off.

Spent an hour and a half waiting.

F@ck sake.

In more trivial news, look which celebrity boat I saw docked at Harwich:

• briantrumpet

Could not believe how slow the passport queues are now off the boat. They literally used to wave you on and off.

F@ck sake.

That was always one of the pluses of being in a car or coach on a ferry. Absolutely obvious that that was going to change after Brexit. Anyone who claimed otherwise was either stupid or lying. No other options.
  • rick_chasey
    ^^ one day, this forum will upload pictures from your own phone the right way up
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    Didn't realise Harwich was in Australia etc.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532

Could not believe how slow the passport queues are now off the boat. They literally used to wave you on and off.

F@ck sake.

That was always one of the pluses of being in a car or coach on a ferry. Absolutely obvious that that was going to change after Brexit. Anyone who claimed otherwise was either stupid or lying. No other options.
    Depended on the nationality of the people in the coach. Could take a while.

In other news, Heathrow was completely fine.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    edited July 2022

F@ck sake.

No it wasn't.
    Bar stewards cancelled my connection and lost my bike. (So far.)

*Although I realise this has nothing to do with Brexit, just a sh!t country falling apart.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet

F@ck sake.

As was Bristol, (security took two minutes) other than them only announcing the gate 25 minutes before we were supposed to take off, despite the plane already being 45 minutes late. (They didn't have anyone to man the gate, apparently, once the plane was ready for boarding.)

• TheBigBean
    They also had fancy new security machines at Heathrow that meant you don't need to take anything out of your bag. Not even liquids or laptops. The woman in charge was getting annoyed how no one understood "leave everything in your bags".

• Could not believe how slow the passport queues are now off the boat. They literally used to wave you on and off.

F@ck sake.

I think the issue with the ferry ports and the Channel Tunnel is that all the passport checks now take 60s-90s per car (circa 20s per passport) at a minimum whereas pre-Brexit, they were virtually non-existent when it was busy. As with any "just in time" system, it doesn't take much to throw things out of kilter. At Heathrow, a large proportion of passport checks don't involve travelling to/from the EU and so the proportionate impact of Brexit-induced passport checks is much smaller.

An extra 10-15 per passport may not sound much, but over the number of passengers trying to get to France via Dover / Folkstone on the first weekend of the main school holidays, it soon adds up. Even 100 family cars results in at least half an hour of extra checking, which spread across a dozen passport booths is an extra 2.5 minutes queuing time. So scale that up across the likely thousands of cars heading to Dover / Folkstone and it's no surprise there's a large problem.

But on the bright side, just think how bad it would have been if the government hadn't done any proper planning for the Brexit impacts on queueing times.
  • TheBigBean
    Someone posted upthread that it has changed from 60s to 90s, so they were not non-existent before.

Also, there are rarely passport checks on departure at Heathrow and those on arrival have been consistently rubbish for years.
  • Someone posted upthread that it has changed from 60s to 90s, so they were not non-existent before.

Indeed. But per my previous comment, if you disturb a just in time system then you're going to have some fallout to manage somewhere.

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537

Someone posted upthread that it has changed from 60s to 90s, so they were not non-existent before.

Also, there are rarely passport checks on departure at Heathrow and those on arrival have been consistently rubbish for years.

Isn't that because Dover is effectively the French border. So your not comparing like for like with the departure checks between Heathrow and Dover.
  • TheBigBean
    Jezyboy said:

Isn't that because Dover is effectively the French border. So your not comparing like for like with the departure checks between Heathrow and Dover.
    Yes, it is.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605

Welcome to the Brexit ✌🏻

This is what hard borders look like

Think about it. Brits leave EU to make a hard border with France. Complains France isn’t making it easy to come in.

Duuuuh

That's fine, I'm sure quite a few people will take their holiday money to countries that don't make it so difficult. If it was simpy a Brexit issue, it would be similar for people going to any European country, but I don't recall anyone having massive issues with places like Spain.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]