BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Stevo_666 said:

Round and round we go...outside of the EU ;)

'We'?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760

Stevo_666 said:

'We'?
    Northern Ireland is not in the EU, but if the rest of the UK were to join the single market, that would mean the UK has effectively rejoined the EU.

Hope that's clear.
  • tailwindhome
    Brexit's done.

Penny promises to re-do it

No. I don't know either

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    When did it become compulsory for politicians to have a flag behind them in every picture?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692

Brexit's done.

No. I don't know either

Stevo's dream candidate? Agrees Brexit is done (but will redo it) and more money in his pocket.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I wish the winners would admit they won and stop stoking the fires.
    God it’s tedious.

“We failed to deliver what we promised.
    That’s because we promised the impossible.
    We are now blaming the other side for not letting us have the impossible.
    The people who said this is what would happen are the enemy for telling you this.
    The solution is to promise you more impossible things”

Is that it?
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Stevo_666 said:

'We'?
    Northern Ireland is not in the EU, but if the rest of the UK were to join the single market, that would mean the UK has effectively rejoined the EU.

Hope that's clear.
    It really wouldn’t.

Inserting the word “effectively” does not change something as binary as EU membership
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    morstar said:

I wish the winners would admit they won and stop stoking the fires.
    God it’s tedious.

“We failed to deliver what we promised.
    That’s because we promised the impossible.
    We are now blaming the other side for not letting us have the impossible.
    The people who said this is what would happen are the enemy for telling you this.
    The solution is to promise you more impossible things”

Is that it?

Pretty much 🙄
    Project fear becomes reality and it's the fault of those that predicted it.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605

Brexit's done.

No. I don't know either

Stevo's dream candidate? Agrees Brexit is done (but will redo it) and more money in his pocket.
    Brexit is done as we've left the EU, I suppose the key thing to do now about is maximising the freedom, flexibility and opportunities that come with it*, which we have not done enough of yet. And sorting out the difference with the EU where possible.

Maybe some people don't want more money in their pockets, but hey, some people are a bit strange.

* Unless I write a footnote, someone will sfore their smartarse points and mention for the umpteenth that there were also some downsides...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    edited July 2022

Stevo_666 said:

'We'?

Hope that's clear.
    It really wouldn’t.

Inserting the word “effectively” does not change something as binary as EU membership
    I entirely agree.

On here, it's stevo you need to convince. (Unless the new conservative leader comes out and says something different. )
  • tailwindhome
    Stevo_666 said:

Brexit's done.

No. I don't know either

Brexit is done as we've left the EU, I suppose the key thing to do now about is maximising the freedom, flexibility and opportunities that come with it*, which we have not done enough of yet. And sorting out the difference with the EU where possible.

Maybe some people don't want more money in their pockets, but hey, some people are a bit strange.

* Unless I write a footnote, someone will sfore their smartarse points and mention for the umpteenth that there were also some downsides...
    We seem stuck at the egg breaking stage of omelette production.

No one seems capable of articulating a recipe
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    Stevo_666 said:

Brexit's done.

No. I don't know either

brexit was akin to the uk shooting itself in the foot to get out of the war

the foot will never work as well again, there are injuries that cannot be recovered from, the uk can only learn to live with the damage

the fact is that brexiters were liars and traitors, they stripped uk citizens of their rights and severely damaged the uk

one doesn't pander to traitors, one laughs as they fall

never forgive, never forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdHa4BHxQ6c
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • surrey_commuter
    Stevo_666 said:

Brexit's done.

No. I don't know either

Genuine question - as they had several decades to spot the opportunities and six years to plan and implement them are you not at all concerned that there are no meaningful benefits and none that will touch the sides of the negatives?
  • Stevo_666 said:

Brexit's done.

No. I don't know either

Genuine question - as they had several decades to spot the opportunities and six years to plan and implement them are you not at all concerned that there are no meaningful benefits and none that will touch the sides of the negatives?
    How can you forget the blue passports and the "UK" stickers for cars?

Plus of course the thrill of delight - even if only inadvertently and several hours in arrears - at successfully smuggling cooked meat into France when going on hols.
  • Stevo_666
    sungod said:

never forgive, never forget

It's pretty obvious from this thread.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • surrey_commuter

Stevo_666 said:

Brexit's done.

No. I don't know either

Plus of course the thrill of delight - even if only inadvertently and several hours in arrears - at successfully smuggling cooked meat into France when going on hols.
    It is very easy for us to mock as we place no value on these things which is why my question is genuine

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Brexit's done.

No. I don't know either

The EU took several decades to decide its strategy - what started out in the fifties as a way of promoting trade and reducing the likelihood of further conflict in Europe after WW2 eventually morphed into being wannabe superstate. These things take time based on the EU experience.

Until we knew the terms we were leaving on, it's a bit tricky to start on a strategy. Then there were a few other priorities to deal with, like a global pandemic.
  • tailwindhome
    The UK doesn't seem ready to have that conversation about what to do next, and what relationship to have with Europe

Or, at least, our politicians don't think we are.
  • surrey_commuter
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Brexit's done.

No. I don't know either

The EU took several decades to decide its strategy - what started out in the fifties as a way of promoting trade and reducing the likelihood of further conflict in Europe after WW2 eventually morphed into being wannabe superstate. These things take time based on the EU experience.

Until we knew the terms we were leaving on, it's a bit tricky to start on a strategy. Then there were a few other priorities to deal with, like a global pandemic.
    Once we left why was there no list of things we were going to change, scrap or introduce based in 3 categories of what could be done in weeks, months or years.

If we were totally overwhelmed by the process of leaving then why not say so
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Brexit's done.

No. I don't know either

Once we left why was there no list of things we were going to change, scrap or introduce based in 3 categories of what could be done in weeks, months or years.

Without the benefit of time travel, not sure what you think we should do other than move forward from here?
  • surrey_commuter
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Brexit's done.

No. I don't know either

Without the benefit of time travel, not sure what you think we should do other than move forward from here?
    my concern is that this movement is very good on optics so there has to be a concern that these things (for whatever reason) do not exist

they had decades to plan for them, then 3.5 years to finalise them and then 2.5 years to implement them.

It is not a matter of time travel it is about doing the best thing for the country
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Queues off the boat checking passports - what a faff.

The UK doesn't seem ready to have that conversation about what to do next, and what relationship to have with Europe

Or, at least, our politicians don't think we are.

Need to get rid of the lot who literally lied to have it happen first.

• Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Brexit's done.

No. I don't know either

You seem to be saying that those promoting leaving the EU had no idea what they actually wanted from so doing. Surely not!

• Stevo_666 said:

Brexit's done.

No. I don't know either

It is very easy for us to mock as we place no value on these things which is why my question is genuine

I've given up waiting for anyone pro-Brexit to articulate a coherent strategy for making the UK better out of the EU than it would have been by staying in the EU. If it was going to happen, it would have happened by now.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Brexit's done.

No. I don't know either

You seem to be saying that those promoting leaving the EU had no idea what they actually wanted from so doing. Surely not!

Somebody once said it was a bit like being in a relationship that you weren't happy with and uncomfortable about where it was going. You don't necessarily know where you will go next but it's still a good idea to exit the relationship. Or at least make it less controlling...
  • kingstongraham
    If thats the case, it displays a lack of confidence in Britain's strength on the part of those who wanted to leave.
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2022
    It’s just they don’t want foreigners making decisions that even remotely affect them at all. That’s what it boils down to.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Brexit's done.

No. I don't know either

Somebody once said it was a bit like being in a relationship that you weren't happy with and uncomfortable about where it was going. You don't necessarily know where you will go next but it's still a good idea to exit the relationship. Or at least make it less controlling...
    Or equally one might class it as leaving an amicable family life because you think your spouse is stopping you from realising your full potential, then finding yourself living in a flea-pit, with limited access to your kids, no "Friday nights" with said spouse when the kids are out, whilst still having no idea how to realise your full potential or even any idea what your full potential might be.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532

It’s just they don’t want foreigners making decisions that even remotely affect them at all. That’s what it boils down to.

That's probably the majority world view.
  • rick_chasey

That's probably the majority world view.
    Doesn’t make it right.