BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,270

They'd have to change all their union jacks. Cost them a fortune.

Brexit jobs bonus!
    For China most likely though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,935

I be the Unionists wished they'd voted for Theresa Mays deal now.

I'm unsure how they didn't see the stitch up coming from Johnson. Even after the deal was announced and they realised they'd been sold down the river Sammy Wilson was still censored -a-hoop about leaving the EU.

Unionists should be angry but with the DUP.

They could always see someone was getting stitched up and lied to, they are just unlucky in this instance it was them.

That's the thing with this government, everyone knows they aren't reliable, but as long as enough people think that it's only someone else that's being lied to and let down, they'll stay in front.
    It would be good to put the Unionist Leadership on a lie detector and ask when they knew they were being lied to. Not sure why the politicians have only just admitted it but the brick chuckers anger seems to be linked to the lighter evenings
    They've known as long as the WA was agreed and as was pointed out on this thread a boringly, tedious amount of times. They misled the people they are supposed to represent and then now cry wolf.

The Bobby Storey funeral is seemingly the straw that broke the camels back.

Hopefully calm heads prevail. The progress made in NI has been astonishing. It's such a beautiful part of the world and the people are magic.
    Iam struggling with their motives in the whole process, were they assuming the solution would be a hard border with RoI?

Both sides to look the other way and whistle, I expect. Probably still should be the current solution.
    They'd also like the protocol to be removed in four years by a vote. To do that, they need to make sure it is kept as a live issue and demonstrate that it is not working. This is where the EU steps in to help out with its strong views on supermarket sausage rolls.

And then what?
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    rjsterry said:

astute in thathe wrote it 2.5 years ago but he seems obsessed by the full official name of the Tory party. If you remove the assumption that Boris cares about NI then most of his points make no sense.

My assumption is that they all assume that unification is just a matter of timing and that Brexit just speeded up the process rather than risked causing it.
    I think you are underestimating the importance of the Union to a lot of Conservatives, albeit that they have a funny way of showing it. I agree Johnson and some of his yes-men don't appear to care about the Union, but then that's hardly distinguishing it from any other matter.
    If there is one thing we have learned over the last 5 years it is the primacy Brexit has in their thinking.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,931

rjsterry said:

astute in thathe wrote it 2.5 years ago but he seems obsessed by the full official name of the Tory party. If you remove the assumption that Boris cares about NI then most of his points make no sense.

My assumption is that they all assume that unification is just a matter of timing and that Brexit just speeded up the process rather than risked causing it.
    I think you are underestimating the importance of the Union to a lot of Conservatives, albeit that they have a funny way of showing it. I agree Johnson and some of his yes-men don't appear to care about the Union, but then that's hardly distinguishing it from any other matter.
    If there is one thing we have learned over the last 5 years it is the primacy Brexit has in their thinking.
    Your favourite 'thinker' is a Brexiter but does not want to see the union end that way.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    It won't be long until Scotland, NI and it even seems like Wales will no longer be part of the Union. Only England will be left. Brings new meaning to word Brexit.

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,977

I'm unsure how they didn't see the stitch up coming from Johnson. Even after the deal was announced and they realised they'd been sold down the river Sammy Wilson was still censored -a-hoop about leaving the EU.

They could always see someone was getting stitched up and lied to, they are just unlucky in this instance it was them.

That's the thing with this government, everyone knows they aren't reliable, but as long as enough people think that it's only someone else that's being lied to and let down, they'll stay in front.
    It would be good to put the Unionist Leadership on a lie detector and ask when they knew they were being lied to. Not sure why the politicians have only just admitted it but the brick chuckers anger seems to be linked to the lighter evenings
    They've known as long as the WA was agreed and as was pointed out on this thread a boringly, tedious amount of times. They misled the people they are supposed to represent and then now cry wolf.

Hopefully calm heads prevail. The progress made in NI has been astonishing. It's such a beautiful part of the world and the people are magic.
    Iam struggling with their motives in the whole process, were they assuming the solution would be a hard border with RoI?

Both sides to look the other way and whistle, I expect. Probably still should be the current solution.
    They'd also like the protocol to be removed in four years by a vote. To do that, they need to make sure it is kept as a live issue and demonstrate that it is not working. This is where the EU steps in to help out with its strong views on supermarket sausage rolls.

And then what?
    A new negotiation. One that will end up with a more open border to the UK and less sausage roll chat.

This is the whole point of the protocol, it needs to adapted such that a majority are in favour, or it will be voted out. I find it amazing how few people seem to understand that.
  • rick_chasey
    edited April 2021

And then what?
    A new negotiation. One that will end up with a more open border to the UK and less sausage roll chat.

This is the whole point of the protocol, it needs to adapted such that a majority are in favour, or it will be voted out. I find it amazing how few people seem to understand that.
    I find it amazing so few people understood that a hard border would have to exist somewhere if the UK left the single market. But here we are.
  • kingstongraham

And then what?

And if it is not possible to adapt it to something that is acceptable to a majority of those in NI the EU the RoI and the British government? This seems to have been beyond best efforts so far.
  • surrey_commuter

rjsterry said:

Your favourite 'thinker' is a Brexiter but does not want to see the union end that way.
    they did not want to slow the growth of the UK economy but it was a price they were very willing to pay. They may not want to get rid of NI but it is a price they would pay in a heartbeat to ensure a purer Brexit (or gtee no return)
  • rick_chasey

rjsterry said:

they did not want to slow the growth of the UK economy but it was a price they were very willing to pay. They may not want to get rid of NI but it is a price they would pay in a heartbeat to ensure a purer Brexit (or gtee no return)
    OK, assume they believe their cakeism logic.

They will apply the same cakeism logic to brexit and NI>
  • surrey_commuter

And then what?

I find it amazing so few people understood that a hard border would have to exist somewhere if the UK left the single market. But here we are.
    Surely if Patrick Kielty understood then it is safe to asume they all knew. Boris's skill is telling people lies they want to believe so I imagine both sides were happy to believe the border would be where he told them.

The puzzling part is why the Unionists are whining now. So far we have some blokes funeral last June and my own theory that the lighter evenings are better for riots
  • rick_chasey
    It is obvious why the unionists are whining. What are you expecting they do?
  • TheBigBean

And then what?

And if it is not possible to adapt it to something that is acceptable to a majority of those in NI the EU the RoI and the British government? This seems to have been beyond best efforts so far.
    I think the dynamic would be different if it happened again as it wouldn't be part of a wider deal, but if there was no agreement, then NI would leave the protocol and rejoin the rest of the UK's custom territory. What happens after that no one knows.

• skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    This was the Sammy Wilson speech I referred to up thread - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70kLfzwuBkw

Ecstatic sorrow. You can see how conflicted he is.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,262

rjsterry said:

Yes. We've already established that they want all the benefits of membership with none of the costs or obligations, so why not apply that cakeism to the Union.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    edited April 2021
  • surrey_commuter

This was the Sammy Wilson speech I referred to up thread - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70kLfzwuBkw

Ecstatic sorrow. You can see how conflicted he is.

Would have had more impact if he had been sober
  • rick_chasey
    So how does this NI stuff resolve?

Do people think it will just calm down after a while?
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,208

It'll calm down a little and the media will get bored of it.

If brexit and corona continue to scar the economy its possible unscrupulous groups will find it easier to recruit young men.

In a few (4?) years time when the agreent comes up for renewal/renegotiation, the media will get interested again.

Both sides (EU and UK) come out as looking like they haven't done all they could, although with the UK red lines, I'm not quite sure what you would expect. I would argue that the DUP should have pushed for a softer brexit whilst they had the government's ear, and should now be pushing NI as a a magical combo of the Single Market and the UK.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,653

Dunno if this is balanced, but it's an interesting read:

• rick_chasey
    Jezyboy said:

If brexit and corona continue to scar the economy its possible unscrupulous groups will find it easier to recruit young men.

In a few (4?) years time when the agreent comes up for renewal/renegotiation, the media will get interested again.

Both sides (EU and UK) come out as looking like they haven't done all they could, although with the UK red lines, I'm not quite sure what you would expect. I would argue that the DUP should have pushed for a softer brexit whilst they had the government's ear, and should now be pushing NI as a a magical combo of the Single Market and the UK.
    So in an interview with a young loyalist man on the news last night, he said "we can see the Republicans are winning [now that the Brexit agreement is in place] and we can't have that".

They're not total morons - they can see the the end game here.
  • kingstongraham
    Jezyboy said:

I'm sure there's an opportunity to have a "don't look too hard" policy with minimal inspections while there is no divergence between the UK and the EU, but as the UK is not in the customs union and single market, there will still need to be formal requirements for documentation etc for anything that goes onwards from UK to NI and onwards into the EU - the same as England to the EU. And under the magical combo arrangement, I assume that would have to be between UK and NI. So there will always be some form of border there as long as the special combo operates.

If you are interested in somewhat less than strictly legal means of making money, that might work fine.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,455
    edited April 2021
    Silly question - why are any of them loyalist? What do they gain from being in the UK?

(I wonder if some people in the EU asked the same about us)
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    pangolin said:

Silly question - why are any of them loyalist? What do they gain from being in the UK?

Not gonna pretend I know the complexities, but I think it's a lot to do with the religious aspect
  • surrey_commuter

pangolin said:

Not gonna pretend I know the complexities, but I think it's a lot to do with the religious aspect
    my take on it is that it is not what you are but what you aren't. They are "loyal" to the crown because they are not catholic/Irish
  • surrey_commuter

Jezyboy said:

So in an interview with a young loyalist man on the news last night, he said "we can see the Republicans are winning [now that the Brexit agreement is in place] and we can't have that".

They're not total morons - they can see the the end game here.
    they are morons because they are throwing petrol bombs and in a schrodinger's cat sort of way they are also morons for not starting to throw them 5 years ago
  • surrey_commuter

Jezyboy said:

I'm sure there's an opportunity to have a "don't look too hard" policy with minimal inspections while there is no divergence between the UK and the EU, but as the UK is not in the customs union and single market, there will still need to be formal requirements for documentation etc for anything that goes onwards from UK to NI and onwards into the EU - the same as England to the EU. And under the magical combo arrangement, I assume that would have to be between UK and NI. So there will always be some form of border there as long as the special combo operates.

If you are interested in somewhat less than strictly legal means of making money, that might work fine.
    I think you are looking at the building blocks rather than the end destination which for RoI has to be the unification of the island of Ireland so will play this situation to achieve this end.
    I would argue that the Brits accepted the reality of this situation with the GFA and that is why they are so ambivalent about breaking up the UK.
  • kingstongraham

Jezyboy said:

I think you are looking at the building blocks rather than the end destination which for RoI has to be the unification of the island of Ireland so will play this situation to achieve this end.
    I would argue that the Brits accepted the reality of this situation with the GFA and that is why they are so ambivalent about breaking up the UK.
    I think what I was saying is that given we aren't joining the single market or customs union, there is still no solution that does not have a border somewhere. And I still don't see the UK being a member of the single market and customs union with no powers to set the rules within it. Basically, there's no Brexit that can work for the both sides in NI.
  • kingstongraham
    I'm sure if they used peaceful protest that complied with the rules and didn't disturb anyone they would be persuading more people though.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

pangolin said:

my take on it is that it is not what you are but what you aren't. They are "loyal" to the crown because they are not catholic/Irish
    It’s just identity politics.

Christ, kids will stab each other over post codes in mainland UK.
    With NI, you throw in a religion and a bit of history and it’s not difficult to imagine people blowing things out of all proportion.

A small minority of thugs use it as an excuse to play by their own rules and many normal people refuse to condemn the thugs through a combination of fear or sympathy for their supposed position.