BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

ddraver said:

Seems like von der Leyen was acting unilaterally... it doesn't reflect well on the EU that she could go so far without being reined in, but the speed with which this all escalated does have the hallmarks of not being an institutional decision, and follows a pattern established by von der Leyen in Germany. Telegraph reporting:

The bit often left out of the British Coverage is that as soon as the relevant member nations were consulted they said, "Absolutely Not" and the EU immediately backed down...

Almost as if they're sovr...?
    Slick system having a lunatic talk nonsense on your collective behalf only to have you object then spend your time in a pandemic sorting it out. Sounds about as efficient as your local council.
    Yes, can you imagine something like that happening on this side of the Channel?
    Its not a badge of honour.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,776
    ddraver said:

Seems like von der Leyen was acting unilaterally... it doesn't reflect well on the EU that she could go so far without being reined in, but the speed with which this all escalated does have the hallmarks of not being an institutional decision, and follows a pattern established by von der Leyen in Germany. Telegraph reporting:

The bit often left out of the British Coverage is that as soon as the relevant member nations were consulted they said, "Absolutely Not" and the EU immediately backed down...

In that case, not sure what the EU thought it was doing trying to act on behalf of those member nations? Almost as if the EU thought it was sovereign ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    It's not 😉
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,151
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

ddraver said:

Slick system having a lunatic talk nonsense on your collective behalf only to have you object then spend your time in a pandemic sorting it out. Sounds about as efficient as your local council.
    Of course not. A stupid move is a stupid move. Just amusing to see how partisan some people are. I seem to remember a similar unilateral approach was loudly proclaimed as a masterful negotiation tactic a few months ago.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • john80
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

ddraver said:

Of course not. A stupid move is a stupid move. Just amusing to see how partisan some people are. I seem to remember a similar unilateral approach was loudly proclaimed as a masterful negotiation tactic a few months ago.
    If you cannot see the difference in scenario then I can't help you.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,151
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

ddraver said:

If you cannot see the difference in scenario then I can't help you.
    🙄 I can see differences and similarities.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    ddraver said:

It's not 😉

The point is about what it wants to be ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ddraver
    it's not ;)
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    The EU Commission calming down the DUP by explaining that only the Pope is infallible

Honest, tried to be finished with this thread but

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666
    ddraver said:

it's not ;)

It's definitely my point...
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

The EU Commission calming down the DUP by explaining that only the Pope is infallible

Honest, tried to be finished with this thread but

:D:D:D
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    john80 said:

Errrr... UK? As for "lunatic", that's offensive to UVL and to people with a MH problem

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    secretsam said:

john80 said:

Errrr... UK? As for "lunatic", that's offensive to UVL and to people with a MH problem

well in fairness, she does seem like a lunatic.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,698
    Telegraph seems to be confirming the Thick Of It conjecture, that VdL and her team went rogue:

• ddraver
    Meanwhile, everything is heating up in N.I...

- @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,608
    ddraver said:

Meanwhile, everything is heating up in N.I...

In four years, NI has a choice. It is up to all parties to make it work.
  • john80
    Wonder how the EU will react to Irish Sea border control staff walking off the job due to intimidation. Don't like the rules just threaten some NI style justice. It was all so inevitable.
  • ddraver
    Possibly, you knew what you were voting for, you wrote the protocol, agreed to it and signed it into law. They re British...you deal with it...
    - @ddraver
  • Stevo_666
    Interestingly, our supply chain operation has reported has reported a clean bill of health on our logistics operations for the third working day running (they produce one of those 'traffic light' analyses for each relevant part of the operation including the carriers used etc) and it's green lights all the way. Looks like this is starting to normalise now, as expected once people and organisations get used to the new requirements.
  • TheBigBean
    Ultimately, paperwork is very much a 20th century issue that should be solved by software now. The longer lasting problems will be those that require human intervention e.g. vet's signing something off.
  • Stevo_666

Ultimately, paperwork is very much a 20th century issue that should be solved by software now. The longer lasting problems will be those that require human intervention e.g. vet's signing something off.

Fortunately we don't have that sort of issue. A lot of the paperwork is to some degree system generated - part of the challenge is making sure the idiots inputting the base info get it right and another part is getting the acceptance from customs authorities etc. As well as getting them to take a slightly more pragmatic attitude towards the odd typo.
  • TheBigBean
    Would be good to get an update from @tailwindhome on the threats to border staff and how it is all playing out. From our own correspondent etc. etc.
  • Gove says difficulties at Northern Ireland border are more than 'teething problems'

Back in the Commons, in response to a question from the former Tory leader Sir Iain Duncan, who said that the Northern Ireland protocol was not working, Michael Gove, the Cabinet Office minister, said the difficulties were not just “teething problems”. He said the grace periods that delayed the introduction of some of the new post-Brexit rules needed to be extended.
  • ddraver
    It's not his fault nobody mentioned it...
    - @ddraver
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Steve-o, you say you have green lights for your logistics operations, but has there been any change in volume? Are you importing/exporting lower volumes than previously? And the green lights, is it based on the same KPIs/targets as before i.e. delivered in the same timescales or have they been amended post-brexit?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    More of the fishing industry front - from Fishing News!

All live mollusc exports to the EU banned indefinitely. Not teething problems either. Industry was told that this would all be solved when new EU legislation is due to come in April 2021, but that is not the case. The UK does not have the means here to process the catch before shipping.

https://fishingnews.co.uk/news/live-mollusc-exports-ban/

Feck business and feck you fishermen/women.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Worth remembering, as ever, Michael Gove considers the Good Friday Agreement a "moral stain," and a "humiliation" for the UK, so he might not be the best placed person to be commenting on the issue.
  • Stevo_666
    elbowloh said:

Steve-o, you say you have green lights for your logistics operations, but has there been any change in volume? Are you importing/exporting lower volumes than previously? And the green lights, is it based on the same KPIs/targets as before i.e. delivered in the same timescales or have they been amended post-brexit?

Volumes are broadly constant - effectively we ship to order in most cases so the main determinant is demand.

KPIs are mainly internal as these are transactions between group companies. The main remaining point to improve is speed of customs clearance in the Dutch ports where they feel there is some room to speed things up; however that is to some degree outside of our control.
  • TheBigBean
    ddraver said:

It's not his fault nobody mentioned it...

The protocol is designed to evolve.
  • Glad things are going well Stevo. Is this for imports? Hopefully that will start feeding through to exports. We're still having a sh1t time of things and not much moving and very slowly. Had paperwork for a pallet to Ireland stuck with the brokers since Thursday. Hoping to get things released with a view to delivering the pallet early next week.

As with all things this will get quicker but I definitely took for granted sticking a delivery label on a box and it turning up in Ireland or Belgium 48 hours later.