BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Stevo_666 said:

In some more good news, we've applied to join the CPTPP:
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/business-55871373

There are a few countries in there where there was no previous EU trade deal.

Covers a market of 500m people and as the article says:
    It includes a promise to eliminate or reduce 95% of import charges - although some of these charges are kept to protect some home-made products, for example Japan's rice and Canada's dairy industry.

In return, countries must cooperate on regulations, such as food standards. However, these standards and regulations do not have to be identical, and member countries can strike their own trade deals.

Whats not to like? :)

No googling name the member countries of the CPTPP.

No, me neither
    Australia, new Zealand, Japan, Canada, Mexico among others? I know it was going to be the USA too until, you know who. Designed to provide an alternative structure to all in with China for Pacific nations. It's like Australia joining the Eurovision song contest.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I kind of find it unbelievable that UVL acted on her own. I think she was pressured behind closed doors, but now someone has to take the fall.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

Stevo_666 said:

It includes a promise to eliminate or reduce 95% of import charges - although some of these charges are kept to protect some home-made products, for example Japan's rice and Canada's dairy industry.

In return, countries must cooperate on regulations, such as food standards. However, these standards and regulations do not have to be identical, and member countries can strike their own trade deals.

No, me neither
    Off the top of my head aus and japan obviouusly but i think canada are in there too.

Canada seems to have loads of trade deals. With trading blocks.
  • elbowloh
    Brunei, Singapore, Malaysia are all in the trade agreement
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,777
    Can someone do a reality check on the significance of this potential trade deal? Is there even a remote possibility that supply chains and our services could migrate towards these countries to fill any part of the void we have from leaving the EU?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,698

Can someone do a reality check on the significance of this potential trade deal? Is there even a remote possibility that supply chains and our services could migrate towards these countries to fill any part of the void we have from leaving the EU?

Maybe they need lots of fish.
  • First.Aspect

Maybe they need lots of fish.
    The UK would be the right plaice to come.
  • Can someone do a reality check on the significance of this potential trade deal? Is there even a remote possibility that supply chains and our services could migrate towards these countries to fill any part of the void we have from leaving the EU?

It would be a good thing but as we are learning the deeper and closer the trade deal the better. Probably best to see it as a gateway to a wider and deeper deal as a whole or with other members.

As for mitigating the void it will take decades to complete the deals and for the economy to pivot.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,607
    Am I missing something, we have just applied right? Have we done a lot of work to get to this point?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • First.Aspect
    pangolin said:

Am I missing something, we have just applied right? Have we done a lot of work to get to this point?

It will be the easiest deal to make in history.
  • pangolin

pangolin said:

It will be the easiest deal to make in history.
    The problem with the brexit thread is that I have no idea what is sarcasm.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • elbowloh
    Part of the appeal is that Biden has hinted at joining (Trump pulled the US out of negotiations). If we join and then the US joins we almost get a FTA with the US by default.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pangolin said:

It does seem bizarre but maybe it is down to capacity issues
  • pangolin

pangolin said:

I meant more why are we making a big song and dance about applying, rather than why had it taken us so long to apply. But both are valid.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    pangolin said:

pangolin said:

I meant more why are we making a big song and dance about applying, rather than why had it taken us so long to apply. But both are valid.
    question of resources, you cant do everything at the same time. plus of course, there are thirdparty availability considerations.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,776
    edited January 2021

Stevo_666 said:

No, me neither
    Too late, the main members were named in the article that I linked. I guess you didn't read it.

Also I noticed you haven't said anything in reply to my question 'what's not to like?' So I guess there isn't.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Seems like von der Leyen was acting unilaterally... it doesn't reflect well on the EU that she could go so far without being reined in, but the speed with which this all escalated does have the hallmarks of not being an institutional decision, and follows a pattern established by von der Leyen in Germany. Telegraph reporting:

Does perhaps show the flaws in the institution if one individual with a grudge can do this sort of thing?

Also a nice little admission a out the games over the backstop in there.

However, I have commented before on the vanishingly likelihood of senior EU people losing their jobs over poor performance, so if she goes because of this I will join SC in double hat eating extravaganza.
    Oh mate if only you exercised this line of questioning to all government institutions
    Re: my first para, you could compare the EU with the last US administration...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pangolin
    david37 said:

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

question of resources, you cant do everything at the same time. plus of course, there are thirdparty availability considerations.
    That's true. Our plucky civil servants have been on the back foot every since the EU sprung Brexit on us a month ago.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666
    elbowloh said:

Part of the appeal is that Biden has hinted at joining (Trump pulled the US out of negotiations). If we join and then the US joins we almost get a FTA with the US by default.

It certainly could be a good result if things go that way.
  • elbowloh
    pangolin said:

pangolin said:

It maybe wasn't worth it without the USA joining. Now the US is thinking about it, so it's now a good idea.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pangolin
    elbowloh said:

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

It maybe wasn't worth it without the USA joining. Now the US is thinking about it, so it's now a good idea.
    Good point
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664

Seems like von der Leyen was acting unilaterally... it doesn't reflect well on the EU that she could go so far without being reined in, but the speed with which this all escalated does have the hallmarks of not being an institutional decision, and follows a pattern established by von der Leyen in Germany. Telegraph reporting:

The bit often left out of the British Coverage is that as soon as the relevant member nations were consulted they said, "Absolutely Not" and the EU immediately backed down...

Almost as if they're sovr...?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    ddraver said:

The bit often left out of the British Coverage is that as soon as the relevant member nations were consulted they said, "Absolutely Not" and the EU immediately backed down...

Slick system having a lunatic talk nonsense on your collective behalf only to have you object then spend your time in a pandemic sorting it out. Sounds about as efficient as your local council.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,608
    There is one, but he is a huff that he'll have to pay for parking fines.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,178
    edited January 2021
    elbowloh said:

I kind of find it unbelievable that UVL acted on her own. I think she was pressured behind closed doors, but now someone has to take the fall.

i lean towards the co​ck-up theory...

"quick, how do we control the exports?"
    "easy, oh, hang on, blo​ody bu​ggery brexit, the ni, it will leak like the sieve, that johnson he cannot be trusted, he is une énorme mer​de"
    "mon dieu, l'article seize, c'est bon!"
    "oui, allons y!
    ...uproar ensues...
    "mer​de, c'est terrible! nous sommes des idiots"
    "vraiment fu​cksocks! vite! un demi-tour!"

making up policy on the fly, in public, is never a good idea

this is why we have professional diplomats, if you let the politicians try to do it they just cause wars
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,698
    sungod said:

elbowloh said:

"easy, oh, hang on, blo​ody bu​ggery brexit, the ni, it will leak like the sieve, that johnson he cannot be trusted, he is une énorme mer​de"
    "oui, allons y!
    ...uproar ensues...
    "censored , c'est terrible! nous sommes des idiots"

Hence my reference to the Thick Of It. Somewhere there was an EU Malcolme de Tuckère or Malkölm von Tüchter screaming obscenities into as many mobile phones as he could hold in two hands trying to get UvdL to stop, I suspect.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,178
    edited January 2021

sungod said:

elbowloh said:

"oui, allons y!
    ...uproar ensues...
    "censored , c'est terrible! nous sommes des idiots"

Hence my reference to the Thick Of It. Somewhere there was an EU Malcolme de Tuckère or Malkölm von Tüchter screaming obscenities into as many mobile phones as he could hold in two hands trying to get UvdL to stop, I suspect.
    my thought when i first heard the news was...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFkhuaIJqWE

and johnson so is ben swain
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,151
    john80 said:

ddraver said:

Slick system having a lunatic talk nonsense on your collective behalf only to have you object then spend your time in a pandemic sorting it out. Sounds about as efficient as your local council.
    Yes, can you imagine something like that happening on this side of the Channel?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

ddraver said:

Yes, can you imagine something like that happening on this side of the Channel?
    😂🤣😂
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver