BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• elbowloh said:

Jezyboy said:

morstar said:

Isn’t the only question whether David = Steveo after the bizarre reply to self the other day.

Stevo's posts generally read like he's using a computer, David's read like he is using a phone and a hammer.
    FIFY
    one handed while keeping a watch for the warden before replacing behind the cistern.
    Warden or nurse
    One and the same in this case.
  • david37 said:

and still the EU is failing bigly and still the "remainers" (lets not upset the precious losers) look for things to avoid acknowledging the facts.

the EU about a month into our new relationship has unilaterally created a defacto hard border between Ireland and NI. the very thing they tantrumed about avoiding.

its not trolling to point this out. it is however an indication about the veracity or lack thereof of the EUs intentions and behaviour. They don't want a partnership they just want domination.

Keep it up coopster.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    sungod said:

david37 said:

and still the EU is failing bigly and still the "remainers" (lets not upset the precious losers) look for things to avoid acknowledging the facts.

the EU about a month into our new relationship has unilaterally created a defacto hard border between Ireland and NI. the very thing they tantrumed about avoiding.

its not trolling to point this out. it is however an indication about the veracity or lack thereof of the EUs intentions and behaviour. They don't want a partnership they just want domination.

"precious losers", i'd say that makes you a "precious troll"

if you stopped the pathetic abuse, perhaps others would listen to your point of view instead of mocking you
    awwww it hurts you still doesnt it. Seriously let it go you can see the EU now for what it is.
  • david37
    john80 said:

Some incoming furious backpedalling looks likely, at least on Article 16:

Maybe they realise their moral high ground approach that worked so well for Brexit will only continue to work if you don't do stuff like article 16.
    i think the Moral High ground has been well and truly brushed away.
  • None of this would have happened without brexit.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,610

None of this would have happened without brexit.

It also wouldn't have happened if the EU commission had been either competent or able to accept blame.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,777

It also wouldn't have happened if the EU commission had been either competent or able to accept blame.
    Difference being, Brexit was something chosen by the electorate :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    david37 said:

awwww it hurts you still doesnt it. Seriously let it go you can see the EU now for what it is.

"The cake stop: The place for more serious off-topic questions, light-hearted banter and friendly chat"

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Stevo_666
    secretsam said:

david37 said:

"The cake stop: The place for more serious off-topic questions, light-hearted banter and friendly chat"

I think you need to look at some of Sungods comments to get this in context.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • None of this would have happened without brexit.

That's whataboutism
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,180
    Stevo_666 said:

secretsam said:

david37 said:

i assume you're referring to my demonstrably true statements of his behaviour

as long as he acts like a troll, it's fair to call him a troll and not give a damn about whatever point he's attempting to make

if he wants to be civil, he might be worth engaging with

if you prefer to continue accept deliberate abuse and trolling, that's your choice
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,610

That's whataboutism
    I think I just raised your whataboutism with some whataboutism
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Stevo_666 said:

secretsam said:

david37 said:

No. I have seen enough to recognise (and report) a troll.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • They should say they are only doing it in a very specific and limited way, just to ratchet it up.
  • secretsam said:

Stevo_666 said:

secretsam said:

david37 said:

The strange thing is that these people (or person) are completely unable to realise that everybody else is here to debate and learn, it really should not be beyond them to find fora that suit their posting style.
  • david37
    sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

secretsam said:

david37 said:

as long as he acts like a troll, it's fair to call him a troll and not give a damn about whatever point he's attempting to make

if you prefer to continue accept deliberate abuse and trolling, that's your choice
    your attitude says a lot about you. Dont like someones opinion? Theyre a troll.

Civility is a two way street boy.
  • david37

They should say they are only doing it in a very specific and limited way, just to ratchet it up.

I think they did make it clear the suspension was only in relation to the vaccine, in all other respects they were clear things remained the same.

The problem is the principle which the EU was extraordinarily keen to establish has been washed away.

it was a complete f up and very badly handled at the very very top of the organisation.
  • Stevo_666
    sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

secretsam said:

david37 said:

Some of your comments towards him were pretty uncivil, so you should expect to get a similar response.
  • Stevo_666
    secretsam said:

Stevo_666 said:

secretsam said:

david37 said:

Each to their own. I don't think he is trolling.
  • Stevo_666 said:

secretsam said:

Stevo_666 said:

secretsam said:

david37 said:

Always good to get an unbiased opinion 😀
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

secretsam said:

Stevo_666 said:

secretsam said:

david37 said:

Maybe I just have a thicker skin than some? :)
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,413
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

secretsam said:

Stevo_666 said:

secretsam said:

david37 said:

Maybe I just have a thicker skin than some? :)
    Or recognise that there are plenty of hypocrites on here with regards to dishing out personal abuse.

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,180
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55866285

eu idiotically threatens to invoke article 16, foster rages at eu threat to invoke article 16, eu backtracks on invoking article 16, foster idiotically asks uk to invoke article 16

politics in action

diplomacy and negotiation do not guarantee success, but public posturing and threats near guarantee failure and certainly poison relationships

if only there were a historical record of such things to learn from
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,701
    Seems like von der Leyen was acting unilaterally... it doesn't reflect well on the EU that she could go so far without being reined in, but the speed with which this all escalated does have the hallmarks of not being an institutional decision, and follows a pattern established by von der Leyen in Germany. Telegraph reporting:

• Stevo_666
    edited January 2021

Seems like von der Leyen was acting unilaterally... it doesn't reflect well on the EU that she could go so far without being reined in, but the speed with which this all escalated does have the hallmarks of not being an institutional decision, and follows a pattern established by von der Leyen in Germany. Telegraph reporting:

Does perhaps show the flaws in the institution if one individual with a grudge can do this sort of thing?

Also a nice little admission a out the games over the backstop in there.

However, I have commented before on the vanishingly small likelihood of senior EU people losing their jobs over poor performance, so if she goes because of this I will join SC in a double hat eating extravaganza.
  • Stevo_666
    edited January 2021
    In some more good news, we've applied to join the CPTPP:
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/business-55871373

There are a few countries in there where there was no previous EU trade deal.

Covers a market of 500m people and as the article says:
    It includes a promise to eliminate or reduce 95% of import charges - although some of these charges are kept to protect some home-made products, for example Japan's rice and Canada's dairy industry.

In return, countries must cooperate on regulations, such as food standards. However, these standards and regulations do not have to be identical, and member countries can strike their own trade deals.

Whats not to like? :)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Stevo_666 said:

Does perhaps show the flaws in the institution if one individual with a grudge can do this sort of thing?

Also a nice little admission a out the games over the backstop in there.

However, I have commented before on the vanishingly likelihood of senior EU people losing their jobs over poor performance, so if she goes because of this I will join SC in double hat eating extravaganza.
    Oh mate if only you exercised this line of questioning to all government institutions
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Stevo_666 said:

In some more good news, we've applied to join the CPTPP:
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/business-55871373

There are a few countries in there where there was no previous EU trade deal.

Covers a market of 500m people and as the article says:
    It includes a promise to eliminate or reduce 95% of import charges - although some of these charges are kept to protect some home-made products, for example Japan's rice and Canada's dairy industry.

In return, countries must cooperate on regulations, such as food standards. However, these standards and regulations do not have to be identical, and member countries can strike their own trade deals.

Whats not to like? :)

No googling name the member countries of the CPTPP.

No, me neither
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,413
    CPTPP is possibly the back door to a US trade deal as they are planning to join it too according to R5 this morning.