Road tubeless tyres, where and how much?

1707172737476»

• paulelana said:

Just fitted some GP5000TL tyres which went on OK. However they went flat after 10 mins. When I used water to help seat the bead I noticed air bubbling through the side walls. The valve and bead are fine but the side walls are so porous it really seems odd. I’ve not put sealant in yet but I would have thought that going flat so quickly was a bit excessive for a tubeless tyre. I’m waiting for a reply from Conti and wondered if anybody had experienced similar?

I’m reluctant to put sealant in until I’m sure of the outcome. Thanks.

Put the sealant in. That what it for making tyres air tight. Remember this is a light tyre. The thicker the casing the more air tight the tyre will be. Conti tyres dont have thick sidewalls.

• Stan's Dart arrived this morning. The insertion tool is really light and looks good. I think this will make tubeless easy for everyone.

• skeetamskeetam Posts: 111

Stan's Dart arrived this morning. The insertion tool is really light and looks good. I think this will make tubeless easy for everyone.

Looks cool, where did you order it from?
  • Tredz. I ordered it ages ago as they all sold out. I've just seen that Wiggle have them in now.
  • arseyarsey Posts: 160
    Tyre was randomly deflated after riding into work the other day. Couldn't get it pumped back up as air was escaping where the rim meets the tyre and it was really easy to get off the rim, so I guess it's not a very tight fit?

I kind of feel it's my fault as the sealant was dried up, I need to get better at keeping it topped up but it's difficult to know when it's required. As it was loose, I just put in a tube which worked so I guess that's the upside of a loose fit.
    Canyon Ultimate CF Disc
    Vitus Energie Disc
  • Sounds like the rim isn't proper tubeless compatible. My first set of tubeless rims were Alexrims which unseated off the rim when deflated. This should not happen. The tyre should stay fixed on even when deflated regardless of sealant drying out or not.

I have some Giant wheels, Borg22s from Cycle Clinic and some Mavics. All work well with tubeless tyres.
    They are DT Swiss tubeless ready rims which came with tubeless rim tape so should be right!
    Canyon Ultimate CF Disc
    Vitus Energie Disc
  • arsey said:

Tyre was randomly deflated after riding into work the other day. Couldn't get it pumped back up as air was escaping where the rim meets the tyre and it was really easy to get off the rim, so I guess it's not a very tight fit?

I kind of feel it's my fault as the sealant was dried up, I need to get better at keeping it topped up but it's difficult to know when it's required. As it was loose, I just put in a tube which worked so I guess that's the upside of a loose fit.

Just because the sealant dries up your tyre should not start leaking air. That shows there is another problem, your rim cant keep the tyre seated without air. What tyre and rim. Well rim really asit is a rim issue mostly.
  • thecycleclinicthecycleclinic Posts: 161
    edited December 2019
    Arsey, dt swiss rim are not ones I consider tubeless compatible. Only the rr440 had the required rim profile. On all the modern ones all tubeless tyres cannot remain seated when deflated even after you take account of the gluing effect of the sealant. Dt swiss rims are not fully tubeless compatible.you cN get tubeless tyres to seat and seal easily but keeping that way is important too.

I explain all here.

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/blogs/news/tubeless-tyre-and-rim-compatibility
    Interesting, thanks Malcolm. It's strange that they can call rims tubeless compatible/ready when they aren't really? Maybe they are just trying to cash in on the trend.

On a different note, I've just replaced an IRC Formula Pro X-Guard on my road bike after over 7000km, very pleased with that.
    Canyon Ultimate CF Disc
    Vitus Energie Disc
  • cyclecliniccycleclinic Posts: 6,866
    DT Swiss define tubeless compatible as does the tyre seat and seal - yes it does. I define it as does the tyre seat and seal and stayed seated and sealed for until you remove the tyre intentionally.

Many rim/wheel companies define tubeless as the former defination. I, Mavic, Shimano, Campagnolo, Pacenti use the latter defination.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
    Saw the aftermath of the sealant working during a ride when I just looked down at the bike. Rode another 60km after this and the tyre was still inflated lots so it worked! Just had to clean the mess off afterwards but better than changing a tube at the side of the road I'd say.

Canyon Ultimate CF Disc
    Vitus Energie Disc
  • yellowv2yellowv2 Posts: 108
    After two years of using tubeless had my first puncture yesterday, that sealant couldn’t cope with. Used a worm to plug the hole, no problem.
    Much easier and quicker than messing around with inner tubes!