Road tubeless tyres, where and how much?

Comments

• paulelana said:

Just fitted some GP5000TL tyres which went on OK. However they went flat after 10 mins. When I used water to help seat the bead I noticed air bubbling through the side walls. The valve and bead are fine but the side walls are so porous it really seems odd. I’ve not put sealant in yet but I would have thought that going flat so quickly was a bit excessive for a tubeless tyre. I’m waiting for a reply from Conti and wondered if anybody had experienced similar?

I’m reluctant to put sealant in until I’m sure of the outcome. Thanks.

Put the sealant in. That what it for making tyres air tight. Remember this is a light tyre. The thicker the casing the more air tight the tyre will be. Conti tyres dont have thick sidewalls.

www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • Stan's Dart arrived this morning. The insertion tool is really light and looks good. I think this will make tubeless easy for everyone.

• skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178

Stan's Dart arrived this morning. The insertion tool is really light and looks good. I think this will make tubeless easy for everyone.

Looks cool, where did you order it from?
  • Tredz. I ordered it ages ago as they all sold out. I've just seen that Wiggle have them in now.
  • arsey
    arsey Posts: 171
    Tyre was randomly deflated after riding into work the other day. Couldn't get it pumped back up as air was escaping where the rim meets the tyre and it was really easy to get off the rim, so I guess it's not a very tight fit?

I kind of feel it's my fault as the sealant was dried up, I need to get better at keeping it topped up but it's difficult to know when it's required. As it was loose, I just put in a tube which worked so I guess that's the upside of a loose fit.
    Canyon Ultimate CF Disc
    Vitus Energie Disc
  • Sounds like the rim isn't proper tubeless compatible. My first set of tubeless rims were Alexrims which unseated off the rim when deflated. This should not happen. The tyre should stay fixed on even when deflated regardless of sealant drying out or not.

I have some Giant wheels, Borg22s from Cycle Clinic and some Mavics. All work well with tubeless tyres.
  • arsey
    They are DT Swiss tubeless ready rims which came with tubeless rim tape so should be right!
    Canyon Ultimate CF Disc
    Vitus Energie Disc
  • arsey said:

Tyre was randomly deflated after riding into work the other day. Couldn't get it pumped back up as air was escaping where the rim meets the tyre and it was really easy to get off the rim, so I guess it's not a very tight fit?

I kind of feel it's my fault as the sealant was dried up, I need to get better at keeping it topped up but it's difficult to know when it's required. As it was loose, I just put in a tube which worked so I guess that's the upside of a loose fit.

Just because the sealant dries up your tyre should not start leaking air. That shows there is another problem, your rim cant keep the tyre seated without air. What tyre and rim. Well rim really asit is a rim issue mostly.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • thecycleclinic
    thecycleclinic Posts: 395
    edited December 2019
    Arsey, dt swiss rim are not ones I consider tubeless compatible. Only the rr440 had the required rim profile. On all the modern ones all tubeless tyres cannot remain seated when deflated even after you take account of the gluing effect of the sealant. Dt swiss rims are not fully tubeless compatible.you cN get tubeless tyres to seat and seal easily but keeping that way is important too.

I explain all here.

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/blogs/news/tubeless-tyre-and-rim-compatibility
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • arsey
    Interesting, thanks Malcolm. It's strange that they can call rims tubeless compatible/ready when they aren't really? Maybe they are just trying to cash in on the trend.

On a different note, I've just replaced an IRC Formula Pro X-Guard on my road bike after over 7000km, very pleased with that.
    Canyon Ultimate CF Disc
    Vitus Energie Disc
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    DT Swiss define tubeless compatible as does the tyre seat and seal - yes it does. I define it as does the tyre seat and seal and stayed seated and sealed for until you remove the tyre intentionally.

Many rim/wheel companies define tubeless as the former defination. I, Mavic, Shimano, Campagnolo, Pacenti use the latter defination.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • arsey
    Saw the aftermath of the sealant working during a ride when I just looked down at the bike. Rode another 60km after this and the tyre was still inflated lots so it worked! Just had to clean the mess off afterwards but better than changing a tube at the side of the road I'd say.

Canyon Ultimate CF Disc
    Vitus Energie Disc
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    After two years of using tubeless had my first puncture yesterday, that sealant couldn’t cope with. Used a worm to plug the hole, no problem.
    Much easier and quicker than messing around with inner tubes!
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Have had a few problems with the rear tyre on my commuter over the past couple of weeks. Now after 3 stops on the way to work (on one of those I shoved a plug into a small hole) I think it may have been the valve, made a few adjustments to it and am hoping that's fixed the problem.

• skeetam

Have had a few problems with the rear tyre on my commuter over the past couple of weeks. Now after 3 stops on the way to work (on one of those I shoved a plug into a small hole) I think it may have been the valve, made a few adjustments to it and am hoping that's fixed the problem.

Occasionally, you can get a valve that won't fully close so it leaks a bit of air. It's usually just some dried sealant. Best thing to do is remove the core and give it a clean with a little WD40 and replace.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Bought a pair of GP 5000 TL from Wiggle at £40 each, but they were impossible to fit and I sent them back. I tried 3 different rims and could only just then the first bead on one after after warming the tube on a radiator. Failed miserably to get the second bead on though, and they were miles off from going over the rim - way, way, way too tight: I suspect they're from a undersized batch and definitely faulty in my book. Ended up buying some Hutchinson Fusion 5 11 Storm from Sigma at £59 pair, and these went on without drama and inflated first time with a track pump. Going to stick with the Hutchinson's as they're light, cheap and ride well. The All Season in particular is a great winter tubeless tyre IMO.
  • skeetam
    edited February 2020
    bobones said:

Bought a pair of GP 5000 TL from Wiggle at £40 each, but they were impossible to fit and I sent them back. I tried 3 different rims and could only just then the first bead on one after after warming the tube on a radiator. Failed miserably to get the second bead on though, and they were miles off from going over the rim - way, way, way too tight: I suspect they're from a undersized batch and definitely faulty in my book. Ended up buying some Hutchinson Fusion 5 11 Storm from Sigma at £59 pair, and these went on without drama and inflated first time with a track pump. Going to stick with the Hutchinson's as they're light, cheap and ride well. The All Season in particular is a great winter tubeless tyre IMO.

Loads of soapy water usually does the trick for the really stubborn ones. That's my experience anyway. You're right though, the GP5000's are a tight fit.
  • kingstonian
    Yeah, I swore profusely and removed most of the skin from my fingers until I eventually managed to get them on the rims. Super tight fit.
  • Same experience for me with regards to fitting the GP5000's.
    Once they're on they are fantastic tyres so worth persevering with.
    Also once used they stretch a bit and consequently are far easier to remove and fit back.
  • thecycleclinic
    thecycleclinic Posts: 395
    edited February 2020
    I am having luck with Vittoria corsa control g2.0 tlr tyres. Thought I'd give them a whirl and aside from three or is 4 punctures over that past 3000km they have been fine. That's a normal.puncture rate. Very grippy and slow wearing. I like them.

www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    edited February 2020
    Another vote on the GP5000s being b*****ds to fit.

However, I had more success using the Kool Tool tyre bead tool (or actually I was using the Lifeline version from Amazon). Far less stress and swearing involved.

I punctured one of the 5000s on Friday - the first time since I fitted them. As I was a mile from home and remembering how difficult they were to fit, I walked the bike home rather than attempting a fix in public.

(sorry - talking about tubed ones here but the main point still counts).
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Yeah, that was one of the reasons I gave up and sent them back. On a couple of occasions I have had to remove a tubeless tyre to fit a tube (for example snapped alu valve stem with no gas or track pump for tubeless remount even with spare valve) and these would have been impossible to deal with on the road. I've never had to make a call of shame (although I jumped on a bus once with my bike) and I wasn't going to compromise my ability to continue a ride by using these tyres.
  • kingstonian
    Wondering about an option on my commuter bike to replace the IRC X-Guard. MY first X-Guard tyre on the rear was great, this one I'm a bit disappointed with.

Looking for something suitable for London commuting through all weathers, in either 28 or 30mm size. Decent puncture resistance a must but hopefully not terrible rolling resistance too.

Suggestions?
  • kingstonian

I am having luck with Vittoria corsa control g2.0 tlr tyres. Thought I'd give them a whirl and aside from three or is 4 punctures over that past 3000km they have been fine. That's a normal.puncture rate. Very grippy and slow wearing. I like them.

How do they stack up against the X-Guards?

• Never had bad luck with the x guards but the vittorias seem every bit as good. My front tyre is porous though. No idea if this is a one off or a more common thing.

If I got disappointed by punctures I be disappointed by every road bike tyre.

If your looking for a puncture free tyre it's called a tanus solid tyre. dont be disappointed by punctures. Plug them and carry on.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • arsey
    I also rate the x-guards which I have on my main bike but have gone for 32mm gravelking plus on my commuter which I use only on roads. They are holding up well so far and are pretty slick.
    Canyon Ultimate CF Disc
    Vitus Energie Disc
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Is anyone running the new schwalbe one pro tyres, ? I see they are a bit more expensive than the old one pro, not sure whether to buy some of the old ones which I rate for summer use or try the new ones ,
    Thanks for any replies
  • orlok
    orlok Posts: 89
    Why not buying the new ones and let us know your experiences. ;)
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Schwalbe one pro, Well I have ordered 2 old pairs because I think they take some beating, and one pair of the latest the new ones in 25 mm., I will let you know how they mount, and hopefully tell you all how good they are in a few months
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    I picked up a new bike a month or so ago which came fitted with Mavic pro Carbon SL UST wheels & Mavic tubeless tyres. It's my first time on Tubeless and i'm pretty impressed. Comfort is improved, no dreaded punctures & rolling resistance appears better than my old set up with tubes & Conti 4000s2. I understand that the Mavic tyres are rebranded Hutchinson Fusion 5? The only thing I would change is that I could only spec the tyres in 25mm - I'll go for 28mm when they need replacing..
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2