Road tubeless tyres, where and how much?

Comments

• kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Ryan_W wrote:
    No they don't. The TT/Race specific Corsa Speeds do. Very different tyres.

Ah yes, looks like they've added 90g to the weight. Probably similar performance to the Maxxis Padrone and Mavic Yksion Pro

Yep, these rolling resistance reviews are easily misleading.

I loved my clincher Corsas a couple of years ago, now on tubeless I have the Schwalbe Pro Ones (quite like how predictive text wants to insert Schwarzenegger into the sentence). When they need replacing wonder whether I go with GP5Ks or summat else. Interested to hear how you get on with the Corsas.
  • wotnoshoeseh
    wotnoshoeseh Posts: 531
    Hi,
    I now have a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST. I bought the wheel set without realising they were tubeless. What do I need to carry for punctures?
    I get the bit where the sealant will re-seal for small nicks and minor cuts, but if it really lets go, what do I need to be carrying to repair and get me back on the road?
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    Road specific tubeless plugs (not mtb ones) or dynaplug and a good pump with hose.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I'm so tempted to reply but I am not contributing any more. so "road plugs" and "MTB plugs" and other misunderstanding can spread about at will. I can no longer can be bothered to correct the misunderstandings like the above, its simply endless.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • zefs
    My mistake, what I meant to write was plugs that are as wide as the puncture so basically someone might need both plug sizes.

It's just that everyone rides in different road conditions and have different experiences with punctures.
  • bradsbeard
    bradsbeard Posts: 210
    Not sure if this has been commented on already. Using the Finish Line sealant. Had two punctures this week both which sealed in a second. One was a 2.4mm cut. Very impressed with it by far the best sealant I've used.
  • rieko
    rieko Posts: 121
    rieko wrote:
    rieko wrote:
    Arsey wrote:
    zefs wrote:
    rieko wrote:
    Just purchased a pair of Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactik 11-storm. Reviews seem to rate them highly, so I'll see how they compare to my stock Giant Gavia's which after 5000 miles have finally given upon me.

It's a racing tire that cuts easily, should be used in good conditions/roads in my opinion.

Agreed, you'll be buying new tyres in about 1000km.

Marvelous :lol:

Update on my tires. They feel night and day compared to my stock Giant Gavia's. Much more grippy in the wet and they just roll nicer. I did get my first puncture with them over the weekend and they sealed up as they should perfectly.

So far so good.

3 months in.

What can I say. Arsey and Zefs were right. I probably squeaked 1000 miles out of them but yesterday I binned them off. Incredibly fast tyre, very confidence inspiring, but I'm down to the canvas already in a few months.

I'll be purchasing the performance tyres next instead of the Galatcik's.
    Giant TCR
    Giant TCX
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    rieko wrote:
    rieko wrote:
    rieko wrote:
    Arsey wrote:
    zefs wrote:
    rieko wrote:
    Just purchased a pair of Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactik 11-storm. Reviews seem to rate them highly, so I'll see how they compare to my stock Giant Gavia's which after 5000 miles have finally given upon me.

It's a racing tire that cuts easily, should be used in good conditions/roads in my opinion.

Agreed, you'll be buying new tyres in about 1000km.

Marvelous :lol:

Update on my tires. They feel night and day compared to my stock Giant Gavia's. Much more grippy in the wet and they just roll nicer. I did get my first puncture with them over the weekend and they sealed up as they should perfectly.

So far so good.

3 months in.

What can I say. Arsey and Zefs were right. I probably squeaked 1000 miles out of them but yesterday I binned them off. Incredibly fast tyre, very confidence inspiring, but I'm down to the canvas already in a few months.

I got about 3000-4000km out of 28mm Performances. Great tyres IMO, got 3 punctures in their life, 2 sealed fine and the other one was repaired quickly with a worm.

Now trying the all season ones on the winter bike which with all this recent rain is getting plenty of use.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I'm running 25 mm All Seasons on my mudguard equipped Dolan Dual and I really like them. Seem sturdy enough without being heavy and no problems with grip. Got them on Open Pro UST/Miche Primato 24F/28H/Sapim Laser/D-Light handbuilts, which is a beautiful combination for wet weather riding!
  • arsey
    arsey Posts: 171
    rieko wrote:
    3 months in.

Go IRC! No turning back for me, I love them.
    Canyon Ultimate CF Disc
    Vitus Energie Disc
  • rieko
    Arsey wrote:
    rieko wrote:
    3 months in.

Go IRC! No turning back for me, I love them.

Thanks Arsey, I'll check them out.

Which model would you recommenced? I'm after something fast but also fairly durable. The GP4000 of the tubeless world.
    Giant TCR
    Giant TCX
  • arsey
    I've had both the Roadlite and the Formula Pro X-Guard in 25mm. The X-Guard is more durable and I struggle to notice the difference in speed. Both are great quality and have lasted me over 5000 miles.

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/irc-roadlite-tubeless-tyres

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections/road-tyres/products/2017-irc-formula-pro-fusion-x-guard-tubeless-tyres
    Canyon Ultimate CF Disc
    Vitus Energie Disc
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Arsey wrote:
    I've had both the Roadlite and the Formula Pro X-Guard in 25mm. The X-Guard is more durable and I struggle to notice the difference in speed. Both are great quality and have lasted me over 5000 miles.

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/irc-roadlite-tubeless-tyres

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections/road-tyres/products/2017-irc-formula-pro-fusion-x-guard-tubeless-tyres
    Another vote for IRC, I have the Roadlite and got 5000 miles out of my most recent set.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • rieko
    Thanks both.

I'll pick a set up
    Giant TCR
    Giant TCX
  • cycleclinic
    edited June 2019
    The roadlites feel faster to me and on the road the roadlites are almost schwlabe one tubeless fast. One customer (my size got 10000km out of the x guard 28mm rear tyre. I thought I got a fair few miles out of mine.
  • arsey
    The roadlites feel faster to me and on a rolling road the roadlites are almost schwlabe one tubeless fast. One customer (my size got 10000km out of the x guard 28mm rear tyre. I thought I got a fair few miles out of mine.
    I'm currently on 4000km with my x-guards and hoping they will last the rest of the year (hopefully up to about 10k) :D
    Canyon Ultimate CF Disc
    Vitus Energie Disc
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    +1 for the IRC Roadlites, have them on 2 bikes. Also have the x-guards on the winter bike but with very little mileage.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • cycleclinic
    Well its winter bike weather.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    PaulMon wrote:
    So I finally managed to get the Maxxis Padrones mounted and sealed but it took over two hours and I was close to throwing in the towel. I bought the 28mm versions and they weigh 310g compared to the combined weight of 295g for my GP4000 ii (25mm) + latex tube.

So after running the Maxxis Padrones for 12 months I've decided to bin tubeless on the road bike and go back to tubes. The initial reason behind the decision was due to what happened at the weekend on my gravel bike. I got a puncture which refused to seal but spat sealant all over me and all over my bike. I put a tube in and rode home and then spent the rest of the afternoon peeling and cleaning dried latex from my bike :( My road bike is due back from having a shiny new paint job any time and I don't want to have to go through the same ball ache again so I bought a pair of GP5000s and a couple of tubes.

In the 12 months I have been tubeless on the road bike I haven't had a single puncture but I've been topping up the sealant when needed. When I took the tyres off this is what I was presented with. I then weighed each tyre and one had gained 45g and the other 35g this would obviously increase when mounted as I would then need to add sealant so you are looking at around an additional 90-100g per wheel :shock: :shock:

For the amount of road riding I do nowadays I just don't think its worth the hassle. I'll stick with tubeless on my gravel bike and mountain bike though.

20190625_124845.jpg
    20190625_130050.jpg
    20190625_125013.jpg
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Anyone seen or using the new Vitoria corsa g2 tubeless yet ?, I’ve just read a review and the are rated highly
  • zefs
    Yes, others have more than my 700km on the new Corsa's but the opinions are the same, excellent grip/suppleness and good rolling resistance/puncture protection. Compared to GP5K which are a bit faster with less grip/suppleness.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Cheers Zefs I will order a couple and give them try, I see merlin have then reduced at the moment
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    Hi All,
    My Schwalbe Pro Ones are about pooped and Im considering the Hutchinson Fusion 5 All Seasons as they seem to have decent reviews/user recommendations.
    Has anyone spotted these tyres at a decent price as there seems to be the TdF offers with shops at the moment.
    Best I've seen is £60 a pair with Sigmasport..
    Regards.
    Tony.
  • cycleclinic
    It takes 5 minutes to wipe the rims clean of sealant when replacing tyres. I am not sure where the hassle is.

Over the course of a year I may get 10 to 15 punctures that I have to plug. Those are the ones I know about. I do struggle to see why tubeless tyres are more hassle. Can someone one please explain when in each of these cases I have inserted a tyre plug and continued. The only times I have had tubeless issues is with slashes and in one case the tyre unseated from the rim and tube had to be fitted. The velocity aileron and maxxis padrone is not a good combination.

Those that get one puncture a year is this real. No one I know has so few punctures. In the case above of throwing in the towel, stopping and fitting a big plug would have sealed it and limited the spray kn the bike.

The padrone are also only o.k tyres. Nothing special so any faff might seem like tubeless is not worth it not all thbrkess tyres are the same. You might find the tl version of the gp5000
    Tyres to be worth it if you get on with the thief version.

Like all things never assume. Never try one tyre and think that's all tubeless has to offer. Why not try a mediocre tubed tyre and then state all tubed tyres are rubbish, or try a mediocre wheel and then state all wire spoked wheels are rubbish because paulmon that's what you did.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I got my first puncture of the year on Wednesday last, riding Regional Route 70 in Cheshire, on an unmade section of road which would have been more suited to a MTB than a road bike running 25mm tyres. It was a pinch flat from a rock. I don’t know anyone cycling who has as many punctures as you at 10-15 that you have to plug! :shock:

For context I ride about 5.5k miles per year.

PP
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,130

Those that get one puncture a year is this real. No one I know has so few punctures. In the case above of throwing in the towel, stopping and fitting a big plug would have sealed it and limited the spray kn the bike.

I am figuring out what the issue is... you claim unrealistic mileage for your tyres, but you also puncture a lot and I mean a lot... if you do 2+2...

I never managed more than 2000-2500 miles on a tubeless tyre, but I normally changed them before they began to puncture every other ride.

Normal clinchers seem to last a bit longer, but not a lot longer, maybe 2500-3000 miles for things like the Durano
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    I puncture a fair bit but on fresh tyres too. The punctures in the last 12 months have been about 4 on conti gp5000 to but I had 2 of those within the first 1000km. A big tyre slash on maxxis padrone 3 days in. A big slash on a IRC roadlite with around 1000km on it but at night one cycle lane/path that briefly ran next to a14 I would put my thumb through that just still.manged to plug it. A puncture on a Goodyear eagle with less than 500km on it and it was a bigun and caused by a big piece of flint. A punctured a schwalbe racing Ralph last week and a IRC formula pro rbcc at lotus of all places in the car park with a chunk of glass and that tyre has 2000km on it and no wear (front). There are a few more but I forget these so the punctures are not from running the tyres too long but from just getting unlucky. Oh there that tubeless pinch flat on the 3 capitals 300km audax too.

Oh I forgot about the tubular tyre punctures. Two on a road bike and one on an mtb. Oh the mavic yskion ust tyres I tried went a few times too. Got three I one day after 3000km on them so i retired them. They were not that worn as it was a front and it was a dry day too.

The Hutchinson fusion 5 all season tyres I have on the genesis have been puncture free. The IRC roadlite and maxxis padrone in the special wheels have been pucture free as have been the IRC formula pro light and rbcc on the audax machine. In fact those tyres have done 4000km puncture free. The IRC formula pro rbcc tyres on my campag promo bike are puncture free after a couple of thousand km and many km of gravel road riding. The conti competion tubs on the pinarello have done 3000km with out punctures and they are wearing out slowly. So I dont puncture everything. In fact I have never got a puncture when riding a road bike with road tyres off road only on the road.

I get mileage i do from tyres the moment they start to puncture when squaring off they go in the bin. The thing most of the clangers happen well before that but I mostly still get to wear them out. I the past year I have only had to bin three tubeless tyres and three tubs for damage that cant be repaired. In the previous 12 months it was half that. When I used to use tubed tyres I went through tyres every 2 months some lasted me a week I'm not joking either. So theres been an improvement.

In terms of mileage the IRC formula pro tyres seem to do me 5000 to 7000km and other brand 2000 to 3000km before they get iffy. Hense they have to be cheaper (hutchinson) to make sense.

In fact most of the problems have been with trying others brands of tyres. It only the Hutchinson I am actually getting on with. Vittoria corsa controls are next. What could possibly go wrong?

And before anyone thinks I am careless on a bike I am not. I alot of winter/wet miles and night miles and thats when most of the above happens. Sharp stuff just finds me. It always has.
  • drlodge
    I punctured today, more of a blow out on the rear, managed to seal it with two worms and get home.

Seems that IRC roadlite has had its day - on closer inspection the canvas is starting to show through so time for the bin.

Question for Malcolm as I need to get some more worms and may be sealant, whats the best to get: MaXalami refill packs small and large (may be large can be cut in half for road use?) and then the "MaXamali twister - tubeless tyre repair kit" to stick in the bar end?

And for sealant, is Effetto Mariposa Caffelatex still your sealant of choice? This is all for road use, IRC roadlites. Cheers.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge
    Quick response from Malcolm after I emailed him directly. Worked out that rear IRC roadlite has done 2900 miles so not bad.
    Find me on Strava
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    At the weekend I changed the rear tire to one of the new GP5000 tubeless.

Bloody hell :shock: was it difficult to get on! I had to tie off both sides of the tire to the rim so the bead wouldn't slip and lever it on (see pic) Destroyed two tyre levers in the process. The only saving grace in this process was the ease with which it inflated.

First ride impressions are very good. Hot ridden in the wet yet though.

IMG-5275.jpg