Road tubeless tyres, where and how much?

Comments

• pauly69
    pauly69 Posts: 101
    Had similar fun with GP5000TL's fitting to DT Swiss PR1400's, but eventually managed with just levers and trashed thumbs. They inflated with a normal track pump and no sealant though, which was a pleasant surprise :)

Sealant added afterwards with the supplied DT Swiss branded milkit kit - overall the simplest TL fitting experience I've had so far.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    GP5000 TL's are the hardest tyres I've ever mounted. Judging by other forums this is a common issue for many people. Apparently though once they're on the wheels and have been ridden they stretch a bit meaning they're a lot easier to remove from and put back on the wheels.
  • Which are the easiest to fit and inflate?

I ask because it is now hedge cutting time round here and the road are full of thorns. As we now seem to be back in winter I'm tempted to try tubeless on my winter bike. So some nice easy to fit and inflate grippy and good wearing 25mm tyres are sought.

Recommendations please.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Which are the easiest to fit and inflate?

I ask because it is now hedge cutting time round here and the road are full of thorns. As we now seem to be back in winter I'm tempted to try tubeless on my winter bike. So some nice easy to fit and inflate grippy and good wearing 25mm tyres are sought.

Recommendations please.

Hutchinson Fusion 5's are very easy. They'll mount on the wheels using just hands and I've found that a lot of the time they'll inflate with just a track pump.
    There's a All Season version which would be ideal for winter use.
    They're also cheaper than a lot of the tubeless tyres out there.

I've also heard good things about the Pirelli Cinturato but have no personal experience of them.
  • Thanks. They look the sort of thing I'm after. Need to get my cojones sorted out to make the jump.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Depends on the rim as well as the tyre. You want them to be reasonably tight to go so that they inflate and seat without too much faff. If you can't get them to inflate, then you may need to add tape which will make them a bit harder to get on initially.

In saying that, Hutchinson Fusion 5 11 Storm All Season TLR should fit the bill and they're not too expensive @ around £30-35. For a bit more cash (but also more mileage), the IRC Formula Pro X-Guard are highly respected by many for all season use, although I've never tried them myself.
  • My rims are Hunt 4 Seaon Gravel. They are a total PIA to get tubed covers onto. So much so that I carry a Kool Tool with me at all times.
    From keeping an eye on this and similar threads I get the impression that inflation will not be a problem. And the rims are pre taped for tubeless.
  • Okay. I'm on the tubeless but only because when I bought the wheelset I didn't realise they were tubeless. The wheels Mavic Ksyrium Elites had the usual Mavic tyres on them. So I bunged in the sealant and inflated them and just rode them. Now, after just over 1500 miles there is a blister on the rear tyre.

Is this tyre on its last legs and needs to be replaced? Or is it okay to ride?
    I've been, by and large, quite impressed with the Mavic tyres fitted, certainly more so than the previous Mavic WTS tyres that I got on the last set of Ksyrium elites.

If the tyre is not okay and should be replaced, what should I get? Recommendations please? It's going on my summer bike (Aithein) so something half decent would be appreciated.

I've seen the Schwalbe Pro One twin tyre kit on Wiggle for ~£74-75? Is this a good option? I also want something that's going to be relatively painless to fit.
  • alanyu
    alanyu Posts: 73
    Okay. I'm on the tubeless but only because when I bought the wheelset I didn't realise they were tubeless. The wheels Mavic Ksyrium Elites had the usual Mavic tyres on them. So I bunged in the sealant and inflated them and just rode them. Now, after just over 1500 miles there is a blister on the rear tyre.

Is this tyre on its last legs and needs to be replaced? Or is it okay to ride?
    I've been, by and large, quite impressed with the Mavic tyres fitted, certainly more so than the previous Mavic WTS tyres that I got on the last set of Ksyrium elites.

If the tyre is not okay and should be replaced, what should I get? Recommendations please? It's going on my summer bike (Aithein) so something half decent would be appreciated.

I've seen the Schwalbe Pro One twin tyre kit on Wiggle for ~£74-75? Is this a good option? I also want something that's going to be relatively painless to fit.

A blister? I will change it.

Pro one's are good tyres. They are fast, relatively easy to mount and inflat. The weakness is mileage and puncture resistance. For a summer bike it's a good option. GP5000 TL's are faster, longer mileage and easier to inflat, but hard to mount.
  • I’m actually finding the mavic UST tyres that came with the mavic rims surprisingly good . Very hard wearing and no punctures sofar . They look a bit narrow but don’t ride narrow or harsh in fairness
  • I’m actually finding the mavic UST tyres that came with the mavic rims surprisingly good . Very hard wearing and no punctures sofar . They look a bit narrow but don’t ride narrow or harsh in fairness

I agree Gary. After having a set of original tubed WTS Mavic tyres on an earlier wheel set, I have to say that these tubeless tyres are far superior.
  • alanyu wrote:

Pro one's are good tyres. They are fast, relatively easy to mount and inflat. The weakness is mileage and puncture resistance. For a summer bike it's a good option. GP5000 TL's are faster, longer mileage and easier to inflat, but hard to mount.

Thanks alan.

I was looking at a pair but I guess I only really need a rear, so that could keep the costs down.
    So far I'm liking the thought of the Pro One. The GP5000 sounds good too, though the comment about them being hard to mount is a little off putting.

What else is out there? What about the Hutchison tyres?
    And I also see some Vittoria Corsas?
    Sigma have a few specialized tyres available TLR - are they any good. They are reasonably low priced in comparison to some of the other brands out there...

Any thoughts / advice / comments gratefully received.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I'm sure I've read that the mavic tubeless tyres are made by hutchinson - I've got one of their Fusion 5 performance tyres, it also developed a couple of blisters - while they obviously aren't ideal they don't seem to have caused any harm, they tend to pop sooner or later in use (or you can prick them yourself) - the tyre still seems to be airtight on the whole.

Being on the rear tyre anyway, you're unlikly to come to any harm even if the tyre does fail - I don't think the blister alone is compelling evidence that failure is imminent
  • alanyu
    alanyu Posts: 73
    alanyu wrote:

Thanks alan.

I was looking at a pair but I guess I only really need a rear, so that could keep the costs down.
    So far I'm liking the thought of the Pro One. The GP5000 sounds good too, though the comment about them being hard to mount is a little off putting.

What else is out there? What about the Hutchison tyres?
    And I also see some Vittoria Corsas?
    Sigma have a few specialized tyres available TLR - are they any good. They are reasonably low priced in comparison to some of the other brands out there...

Any thoughts / advice / comments gratefully received.

You're correct that Mavic ust tyres are made by Hutchison with 11 storm compound. I've seen many folks on different forums using Fusion 5 performance's and all season's and they highly recommend them, relatively easy to mount and good puncture resistance.

Corsa Speed TLR? I will never use it ouside on road, even racing, too fragile.

Another choice (winter or all round tyre) is Giant AC0 if you can get it on discount. Also relatively easy to mount and inflat, a good mileage and high punture resistance, but, not so fast.
  • jeddy11
    jeddy11 Posts: 16
    I have farsport wheels and fitting the GP5000 was fine. A bit tight but manageable and they sealed fine on first inflate with track pump. Plenty of soapy water would be my tip !
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    I’m actually finding the mavic UST tyres that came with the mavic rims surprisingly good . Very hard wearing and no punctures sofar . They look a bit narrow but don’t ride narrow or harsh in fairness

I agree Gary. After having a set of original tubed WTS Mavic tyres on an earlier wheel set, I have to say that these tubeless tyres are far superior.

Same here. I've got a pair of Mavic Ksyrium UST and they came with the Mavic Yksion tyres and I was really impressed with how easy they went on, inflated and were very grippy. The only downside was that they didn't last as long as some other tyres. I have heard (don't know if this is true) that Hutchinson make them so it might be worthwhile trying their tyres as they're cheaper than Mavic's.
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    I've just changed from my Schwalbe Pro Ones which were easy to fit and inflate. I thought they were decent tyres for grip and fast but wear rate and cuts were the issue. Saying that every puncture, that I knew about, sealed ok. Just to throw a curve ball the replacement tyres were back to Conti GP4000sii + inner tubes and the actual weight difference between Pro Ones to Contis was 9 gr heavier for the Contis. I've also noticed the contis are just as fast as the Pro Ones. Weird !!!!!!.
    Makes me wonder if these so called tubeless "faster" tyres really make much difference to my type of riding, fast recreational.
    T.
  • bradsbeard
    bradsbeard Posts: 210
    Pro One fan.

Easy to mount and inflate.

I run 25mm on a 22.5mm rim that measure 28.3mm and 28mm on a 19mm rim that measures 28.9mm.

65psi rear 62psi front.

Use Orange sealant and have had no issues in a while.

Great grip and comfort.
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    IRC Formula Pro RBCC are my choice, excellent grip wet and dry also very good ride quality, together with Caffelatex sealant. Only downside is they are quite expensive @ £55 each but worth it as far as I am concerned.
  • arsey
    arsey Posts: 171
    With all this Hutchinson talk I feel I need to refer back a few pages:
    rieko wrote:
    Arsey wrote:
    zefs wrote:
    rieko wrote:
    Just purchased a pair of Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactik 11-storm. Reviews seem to rate them highly, so I'll see how they compare to my stock Giant Gavia's which after 5000 miles have finally given upon me.

It's a racing tire that cuts easily, should be used in good conditions/roads in my opinion.

Agreed, you'll be buying new tyres in about 1000km.

Marvelous :lol:
    Canyon Ultimate CF Disc
    Vitus Energie Disc
  • Joe Totale wrote:

Hutchinson Fusion 5's are very easy. They'll mount on the wheels using just hands and I've found that a lot of the time they'll inflate with just a track pump.

I've also heard good things about the Pirelli Cinturato but have no personal experience of them.

Sorry, but no. Just bought a pair of Hutchinson Fusion 5s. 45 mins to fit one. Best part of a roll of tape, a 12" metal tyre lever, lots of swearing and one cup smashed. Then it was on. Did it seat? Nowhere near. Even used next doors compressor but that made no difference. Hunt tubeless ready rims. Never got anywhere near opening the bottle of Stans.
    Tyres will be going back tomorrow.
    Anyone want some Stans and those little worm things?
  • bobones
    TonySJ wrote:
    I've also noticed the contis are just as fast as the Pro Ones. Weird !!!!!!.
    Makes me wonder if these so called tubeless "faster" tyres really make much difference to my type of riding, fast recreational.
    T.
    How can you tell which is the faster tyre?
  • bobones
    Joe Totale wrote:

Sorry, but no. Just bought a pair of Hutchinson Fusion 5s. 45 mins to fit one. Best part of a roll of tape, a 12" metal tyre lever, lots of swearing and one cup smashed. Then it was on. Did it seat? Nowhere near. Even used next doors compressor but that made no difference. Hunt tubeless ready rims. Never got anywhere near opening the bottle of Stans.
    Tyres will be going back tomorrow.
    Anyone want some Stans and those little worm things?

What type of Fusion 5 did you buy? It's not just the tyre that determines the ease of installation, but also the rim and skill, experience and technique of the fitter. If the tyre is a really tight fit on the rim, then you'd probably need use soapy water to help the tyre slide into place. If it's not inflating due to air leakage then you might need to use an airshot with the valve cores removed and/or apply more tape.
  • Fusion 5 All season Tubeless. When I finally got it on it just refused to seat. Whatever we did the beads just remained in the centre well of the rim. Cores removed and a full on compressor made no difference at all. There was total leakage all round - far more than tape could begin to erradicate. I'm convinced it's the Hunt rims that are the problem.Thereb wasn't even a semblance of the tyres going anywhere near the rim edge so no chance whatever of seating.
    Tyres have now gone back. I'm unlikely to try tubeless again.
    My worry is what happens if I get a biggish hole some way from home. If I can't get the cover off to put in an emergency tube then I'll just have a long walk, and I don't want to risk that.
  • bobones
    So the Tubeless rather than the Tubeless Ready? I think the lighter TLR might be a bit easier to mount, but the fact that the bead stayed in the centre well probably indicates that the tyre and rim are a poor match, but lubricating the rim and beads with soapy water would probably have seen them seat with an airshot.

I've been running tubeless for a couple of years at least, and I use the All Season TLR on my winter bike and have no issues with them on DT Swiss R460, Mavic Open Pro UST, or Cero AR24 rims. I think Hunt use Kinlin rims on some of their models, and I seem to remember Malcolm from the Cycle Clinic saying these are quite hard to mount tyres on.
  • No sorry. Tyres were tubeless ready, of so it said on the sidewalls.

I've heard about the Kinlin rims, and have spent the morning googling them. They do seem to have a fearsome reputation. It seems to be the rims that are at fault. I know that some tyre/rim combinations can be problematic but this was far more than that.

I'm now leaning to towards taking the wheels off my summer bike and getting some replacements for them. I'll accept a few punctures if I can change tubes quickly on cold wet winter days.
  • bobones
    I haven't needed to get my hands dirty removing a wheel and tyre to fit a tube for nigh on two years. Orange seal works better than other sealants I've tried, and Dynaplugs or worms take care of most other non-sealing holes, even slashes. When I have needed to fit a tube, it was just as easy as it with standard clinchers, but you may need to carry small pliers to undo tight valve lock nuts. I have had my ups and downs with tubeless, especially in the early days, but now I know what I am doing (and when to give up on something that isn't working), there is no way I am going back to tubes.
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    Anyone seen this sealant before? I bought it in Majorca because one of my tires wasn't holding air, even with a top-up of my Stans Race Sealant. I wasn't expecting much but it worked a treat, Absolutely stinks though.

Liquid-extreme-tyre-sealant.jpg
  • So 5 miles from the end of an audax yesterday my rear Mavic punctured - it seemed to be a bit of a slice and eventually the sealant managed to seal the slice. I then re-inflated with a travel pump and probably got about 50 psi in it and limped home.

I went out this morning to the garage and put the track pump on - re-inflated and then when it got to ~60/70 psi, the dreaded hiss started. Looking at the tyre, where the air is escaping, there seems to be very little evidence of a hole, slice or gouge? In other words it seems like very minor damage.

Question is though can I just add more sealant through the valve core and then spin it and re-inflate to fix it? Or is there something more involved I need to do?
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    bobones wrote:
    TonySJ wrote:
    I've also noticed the contis are just as fast as the Pro Ones. Weird !!!!!!.
    T.
    How can you tell which is the faster tyre?
    Overall route/ride comparison. It's circular and my regular training ride so as near as its possible to be able to compare the two tyres out on the road.
    And my average speed was better with the Contis but I didn't read to much into that taking the feel and effort into account.
    Just my opinion.
    T