Road tubeless tyres, where and how much?

Comments

• bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Arsey wrote:
    Effetto Mariposa (in 25mm IRC Formula pro x-guards). I've also just realised the tyre has done 6000km so it's probably getting a little worn. I was going to plug but it was pouring down with rain and I figured I could just top up the air every 5 mins until I get home which was easier.
    I've settled on Orange Seal (regular, not endurance) as others I have tried have let me down by not sealing seemingly innocuous holes, but I haven't tried Effetto Mariposa it must be said. If you carry a preloaded worm or Dynaplug then I would have thought it's much less hassle to deploy it than stopping every 5 minutes.
    This is my tool of first resort, but I also carry standard worms both thick and thin. The advantage with Dynaplugs is that they stay securely in the tyre under pressure more readily than normal worms.
  • arsey
    arsey Posts: 171
    Canyon Ultimate CF Disc
    Vitus Energie Disc
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    Arsey wrote:

Yeah, I thought that too. Nice to see a tubeless repair tools coming to market.
  • More choice for next year. At last, Michelin join the tubeless road market.

https://youtu.be/osAsgIKrZck
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    That stans plug looks interesting. Cheaper than dynaplugs too.

When seala t runs low it often has trouble sealing.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • pgmabley
    pgmabley Posts: 107
    That stans plug looks interesting. Cheaper than dynaplugs too.

When seala t runs low it often has trouble sealing.

I thought that after seeing the video as long as the pack isn't too large
  • Still new to this tubeless thing and I'm puzzled. I'm using almost brand new Hutchinson Fusion 5 11 Storm All Seasons tyres and loads of Stans Race sealant. I spotted a tiny tiny hole after hooking out debris when cleaning but it "sealed" straight away. I say "sealed" as I can just about see air bubbling out very very slowly over days. It's not even enough to push any more white sealant out but does make the outside of the tyre damp. Not sure what I was doing but thought I'd reseal it by pushing a pin cleanly through the hole but it does the same. I could try a worm but really don't want to savage a new tyre with a huge hole.

Sorry about the ramble but what do you reckon? Does Stans not always dry properly to seal a hole if it's not big enough?
  • arsey
    Still new to this tubeless thing and I'm puzzled. I'm using almost brand new Hutchinson Fusion 5 11 Storm All Seasons tyres and loads of Stans Race sealant. I spotted a tiny tiny hole after hooking out debris when cleaning but it "sealed" straight away. I say "sealed" as I can just about see air bubbling out very very slowly over days. It's not even enough to push any more white sealant out but does make the outside of the tyre damp. Not sure what I was doing but thought I'd reseal it by pushing a pin cleanly through the hole but it does the same. I could try a worm but really don't want to savage a new tyre with a huge hole.

Sorry about the ramble but what do you reckon? Does Stans not always dry properly to seal a hole if it's not big enough?

Mine does that too, I just don't worry/think about it :lol:
    Canyon Ultimate CF Disc
    Vitus Energie Disc
  • arsey
    Just noticed a bubble on my tyre. It's pretty easy to press in and seems like it would puncture quickly if I rode it. Should I try and pierce it and hope the sealant works or bin the tyre?

IMG-20191020-092355.jpg
    Canyon Ultimate CF Disc
    Vitus Energie Disc
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Arsey wrote:
    Just noticed a bubble on my tyre. It's pretty easy to press in and seems like it would puncture quickly if I rode it. Should I try and pierce it and hope the sealant works or bin the tyre?

IMG-20191020-092355.jpg

I've had exactly this on 2 Hutchinson Fusion 5 tyres. Fortunately my supplier has replaced both under warranty without question and has taken it up with the manufacturer. PS don't ride with it like that.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I rode one for quite a while with those bubbles. You can pop them if you like, or wait for it to happen as you ride - the bubble won't be at full pressure, it's just where a little bit of air has escaped the lower layer of the tyre and stretched the softer outer rubber.

Obviously if you can get a warranty replacement, do so.
  • doolie
    doolie Posts: 42
    Shortfall wrote:
    Arsey wrote:

IMG-20191020-092355.jpg

I've had exactly this on 2 Hutchinson Fusion 5 tyres. Fortunately my supplier has replaced both under warranty without question and has taken it up with the manufacturer. PS don't ride with it like that.

Same here, had this with one Hutchinson Fusion 5 tyre. Replaced with supplier and touch wood no repeat.
    PlanetX RT-57
    Orbea Orca
    Felt DA
    GT Grade
  • arsey
    Trouble is, the tyre has done 6000km. So maybe it's just time to replace? When does a warranty claim become normal wear and tear? :?
    Canyon Ultimate CF Disc
    Vitus Energie Disc
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Just burst it and ride on. The blister is only on the surface layer of rubber. I had a couple of tyres hanging up unused for a while that showed these blisters when I remounted them. I've been riding them since for several hundred miles without issue.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    bobones wrote:
    Just burst it and ride on. The blister is only on the surface layer of rubber. I had a couple of tyres hanging up unused for a while that showed these blisters when I remounted them. I've been riding them since for several hundred miles without issue.

It may be safe to ride on them I don't know. My supplier said it wasn't though and seeing as he sorted warranty replacement out I didn't have to risk it. FWIW on my Hutchinsons the back went after a couple of hundred miles and the front around a thousand. Apparently Hutchinson are aware and blaming it on a bad batch.
  • arsey
    I just popped it with a pin and it seemed fine. Just did red bull timelaps in filthy conditions and had no issues with it so guess it's fine :)
    Canyon Ultimate CF Disc
    Vitus Energie Disc
  • sale01
    sale01 Posts: 2
    Hi ,you can the product from winspace bike?

I think their product are perfectful!!!

I have the a carbon bike of SLC2.0 from winspace on June 2019;
    There are suitable for me,super light and no fault until now;
    Very good!!!
  • skeetam
    Replaced a couple of Schwalbe Pro One's and noticed the repairs I made on the inside with patches had collected a lot of sealant and formed big heavy blobs. By contrast, the string repair (far right) was much neater, that's the best repair method for me.

• Hi! I just went tubeless for the first time, and after reading about the technology for at least a year I still have a bit of a doubt. Tires are 11 storm Performance and the rims kinlin XR-22T. Rims have two stripes of yellow tape, don't know the brand (the wheel builder installed it). Tires went in easily, couldn't be seated with a floor pump but two CO2 cannisters did the trick. Beads look nicely locked now and I am about to add the sealant (Orange Seal) but tbh, I have the feeling that the tires loose air quite fast. After an hour of pump tire pressure drops almost to half, and they get completely deflated overnight. I know they need the sealant to be airtight, but I don't want to add sealant and then find that the are not well seated and then need to deal with sealant everywhere. What is your experience, is it normal to loose air that fast without the sealant? Do I proceed adding it?
    Thanks!
  • Sounds fine to me. Just put some sealant in, blow them up and spin them around a bit to coat the insides and you should be fine. Just make sure first that your valve is seated properly and the collar is done up OK around the rubber seal.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    I was a bit disappointing that my Hutchinson Fusions have split after about 1000km (rear). The liquid sealed the split on the right, but not the one on the left. Tire is junk anyway now I think. After a 7 years with tubeless now thinking of going back to tubetype which I have on my winter bike and just work without any major issues for me.

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Which Fusion model?

The https://www.merlincycles.com/hutchinson-fusion-5-all-season-11-storm-tlr-folding-road-tyre-700c-116846.html are supposed to be a good balance of performance and durability.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • orlok
    orlok Posts: 89
    edited November 2019
    I suppose that must be the Fusion 5 Galactic because I ride with the Fusion 3 more then 5000km and now also the 5 all season for about 500km with no wear at all.!
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    Fusion 5. Guess they were not as fused as all that.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • davidof said:

I was a bit disappointing that my Hutchinson Fusions have split after about 1000km (rear). The liquid sealed the split on the right, but not the one on the left. Tire is junk anyway now I think. After a 7 years with tubeless now thinking of going back to tubetype which I have on my winter bike and just work without any major issues for me.

I have experienced very poor life from Hutch tyres and came to same conclusion as you... too expensive and too much faff to ride a bike
    left the forum March 2023
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    GP5000s............OMG what an absolute bitch to fit onto a wheel rim. Spent over an hour with one last night, eventually managed it but only after much swearing and sore fingers.
  • Just fitted some GP5000TL tyres which went on OK. However they went flat after 10 mins. When I used water to help seat the bead I noticed air bubbling through the side walls. The valve and bead are fine but the side walls are so porous it really seems odd. I’ve not put sealant in yet but I would have thought that going flat so quickly was a bit excessive for a tubeless tyre. I’m waiting for a reply from Conti and wondered if anybody had experienced similar?

I’m reluctant to put sealant in until I’m sure of the outcome. Thanks.
  • skeetam
    paulelana said:

Just fitted some GP5000TL tyres which went on OK. However they went flat after 10 mins. When I used water to help seat the bead I noticed air bubbling through the side walls. The valve and bead are fine but the side walls are so porous it really seems odd. I’ve not put sealant in yet but I would have thought that going flat so quickly was a bit excessive for a tubeless tyre. I’m waiting for a reply from Conti and wondered if anybody had experienced similar?

I’m reluctant to put sealant in until I’m sure of the outcome. Thanks.

Just put some sealant in and it will be fine. I usually put about 50/60ml in when I put new tires on. Top ups of 30ml every 5-6 months after that.

• thecycleclinic
    thecycleclinic Posts: 395
    edited November 2019
    arsey said:

IMG-20191020-092355.jpg

The thread has bubbled. If you continue ti ride it the bubble will tear and possiblyexpose the casing. While it safe for now just keep an eye on it. I have seen this witha variety of brands. Not sure why though. Bad batch seems a cop out excuse.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • davidof said:

Or try a different tyre.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk