Pacenti SL23 Volta 11s Hubs £169.99 now £149.99 Doh

Comments

• djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    I have a question for the wheel experts. Would you build these Pacenti rims with nipple washers?
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I think it's generally agreed then, that due to the feedback on this thread, that SSCs pricing and value is top notch, but the quality of the wheel building could be better. The evidence on here is pretty conclusive.

I just wish that SSC would take it on the chin and agree that there is a good possibility that we're not all wrong or haven't got a clue as to what we're talking about and admit that their wheel-building process might be substandard and make improvements. As posted before, product feedback like this should be taken on-board and not simply dismissed.
  • djhermer wrote:
    I have a question for the wheel experts. Would you build these Pacenti rims with nipple washers?

Personally im not a fan of nipple washers, as if a rim needs them its probblay a bit weak or badly finished. I see no need to use them on pacenti SL23s as rim technolgy and alloys is alot better than the 1920s when this was common practice. Same with soldering spokes, made sense when the metal for spokes was poor in the 1900s but now its unnecessary. Much in the same way you dont need to de-coke your cars engine, its called progress. (I do like rebuilding my 1930s car, but thats not becasue its better....)

Unfortunately the reason Dkay why i defend our quality is that some people have decreed all our wheels are poor because there are 3 people with a complaint (none of which i have seen or confirmed) apparantly over thousands of wheels sold per year. The only person who actually can say how it is myself as im the one who sees the numbers. Yes its impossible to be perfect but its a warped impression to say 3 alleged cases equals a global problem. its just completely not the case. Ill say again, if there is a problem please send it back to be investigated.

Any questions please let me know, Superstar
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854

Unfortunately the reason Dkay why i defend our quality is that some people have decreed all our wheels are poor because there are 3 people with a complaint (none of which i have seen or confirmed) apparantly over thousands of wheels sold per year. The only person who actually can say how it is myself as im the one who sees the numbers. Yes its impossible to be perfect but its a warped impression to say 3 alleged cases equals a global problem. its just completely not the case. Ill say again, if there is a problem please send it back to be investigated.

Standard forum BS. Some people love to moan about Garmins/Chinese Frames/Wiggle/CRC/Planet X wherever but when it comes down to it, 3 people having a moan have more of a voice than those who aren't moaning, and those who aren't posting about how happy they are. The latter two groups ALWAYS outnumber the former.

While I don't have superstar wheels, I have placed many orders with yourselves and I really can't fault the service or any of the products.
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • djhermer
    djhermer wrote:

Personally im not a fan of nipple washers, as if a rim needs them its probblay a bit weak or badly finished. I see no need to use them on pacenti SL23s as rim technolgy and alloys is alot better than the 1920s when this was common practice. Same with soldering spokes, made sense when the metal for spokes was poor in the 1900s but now its unnecessary. Much in the same way you dont need to de-coke your cars engine, its called progress. (I do like rebuilding my 1930s car, but thats not becasue its better....)

Thanks. I had a set of SL23s built onto Hope RS Mono hubs with CX Rays made for me by my local (exceptional) builder. I've probably covered around 2000 miles on them without fault. Interestingly (in relation to this topic) he has just emailed me this:

It has come to my attention that a few 24h rear Pacenti SL23 rims have failed where the rims have fractured at the nipple holes. No other rims have been affected and the advice given to me is to now build 24h rims with nipple washers to spread the load.

Would it be possible to check your rear wheel and allow me to rebuild it with nipple washers?. This is because I do not want a wheel I have built fail, not because I know it will fail. I believe the failure rate has been something like 10 out of 10,000 rims.

Just a heads up.
  • paxington
    paxington Posts: 162
    DKay wrote:
    Got both sets of my wheels back today after them being fettled. The general impression, was that all of the wheels had low average tensions, with the SL23 front being particularly low, requiring anything up to a full turn to get up to the rims recommended tension. The spoke tensions on the SL23s were actually more even than the carbon clinchers, which apparently showed excessive variance.

I'm glad I've had them checked-out and tweaked, as I'm sure they'll last longer and perform better now. Looking forward to getting out on them as soon as the weather gets a bit better.

Be aware tension needs to be spot on with SL23 as i have had a 32 hole rim crack on DS around the eyelets probably caused by over tensioned in the original build by a very well established wheelbuilder in Sheffield .

This quoted post might be relevant to djhermer's post. It would be interesting to see what happens to Dkay's mechanic modified wheels over time(by time I mean miles ridden) Will his become one of that tiny percentage of these rims that fail? Time and only time (miles) will tell.
  • DKay
    If anything happens to my wheels, you'll all be the first to know, believe me.
  • paxington
    NeXXus wrote:

Standard forum BS. Some people love to moan about Garmins/Chinese Frames/Wiggle/CRC/Planet X wherever but when it comes down to it, 3 people having a moan have more of a voice than those who aren't moaning, and those who aren't posting about how happy they are. The latter two groups ALWAYS outnumber the former.

While I don't have superstar wheels, I have placed many orders with yourselves and I really can't fault the service or any of the products.
    Well said, I totally agree.
  • DKay
    NeXXus wrote:

But it's not just three people though is it? Not even on this thread. Do a quick search and you will see other forums reporting the same thing. They can't all be wrong.

Also, out of those people who have reported something on a forum about their wheels, how many others don't bother and just take them to somebody else to sort out? How many aren't registered on this forum? Example being, that people on this very thread who have suffered issues, would not have said anything had it not been for this thread's existence.

This forum is just a very small cross section of the whole cycling community (out of my club of 60 members, I'm one of only three people who frequent it) and to dismiss several cases reported on here, from people who have nothing to gain from doing so, seems a little silly.

Anyway, I've had my fill of this thread and one member in particular now. I'm moving on.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    edited January 2015
    DKay wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:

But it's not just three people though is it? Not even on this thread. Do a quick search and you will see other forums reporting the same thing. They can't all be wrong.

Also, out of those people who have reported something on a forum about their wheels, how many others don't bother and just take them to somebody else to sort out? How many aren't registered on this forum? Example being, that people on this very thread who have suffered issues, would not have said anything had it not been for this thread's existence.

This forum is just a very small cross section of the whole cycling community (out of my club of 60 members, I'm one of only three people who frequent it) and to dismiss several cases reported on here, from people who have nothing to gain from doing so, seems a little silly.

Anyway, I've had my fill of this thread and one member in particular now. I'm moving on.
    The numbers don't really matter. The complaints are still going to be outnumbered grossly by happy customers. Just because a small few on a relatively small forum have issues, doesn't mean that everyone does or will. It's not relative to the # of pairs of wheels sold.
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • paxington
    DKay wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:

. Do a quick search and you will see other forums reporting the same thing. They can't all be wrong. .

Perhaps you(Dkay) could provide some links to back up that claim ? I'm sure people, myself included will read anything contained on any links you provide with open minds. Though as noted by NeXXus negative feedback often has a more vocal and vociferous representation that positive feedback.

" I am very cautious of people who are absolutely right, especially when they are vehemently so "

"One of the most important days of my life was when I learned to ride a bicycle."

Two quotes from Michael Palin. I personally happen to agree with both.
  • As i have said before i know how many wheels we have sold and how many returns, its a fraction of a percentage point. Anybody else stating things is just speculating with no actual evedence. From my experience about 50% of people with a problem complain about it on a forum, and the tend to carry on repeating it or someone else repeats it for years to come, so it sounds bigger than it really is. The other 50% have better things to do and all of them who contact us are dealt with fairly under warranty and our other goodwill schemes.

Pop round and have a look at our tiny warranty area, we dont need much space as we dont get many problems. We have nothing to hide and will sort problems if they do happen.

djhermer - i would be interested in who has brought that to his attention, as Im in contact with Pacenti themselves and heard nothing of the sort from them? It sounds like a rumor to cover builders overtensioning spokes, as there are plenty out there who think cranking it up to the max is best. Thats why i have my view on spoke nipples, and i will happily listen if the manufacturer says otherwise directly to me.

• Pryally
    Pryally Posts: 132
    maybe check the details on pacenti website where it states "we strongly reccommend nipple washers
    for 24h rear wheels"
    I have just had the same conversation with your customer relations department and not receieved a satisfactory answer apart from return them (if unused) and you get 2 year warranty (would like to think my summer only wheels would last longer than 2 years)
  • Pryally wrote:
    maybe check the details on pacenti website where it states "we strongly reccommend nipple washers
    for 24h rear wheels"
    I have just had the same conversation with your customer relations department and not receieved a satisfactory answer apart from return them (if unused) and you get 2 year warranty (would like to think my summer only wheels would last longer than 2 years)
    3403949576_3dd5a693f4.jpg
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    paxington wrote:
    DKay wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:

. Do a quick search and you will see other forums reporting the same thing. They can't all be wrong. .

Perhaps you(Dkay) could provide some links to back up that claim ? I'm sure people, myself included will read anything contained on any links you provide with open minds. Though as noted by NeXXus negative feedback often has a more vocal and vociferous representation that positive feedback.

" I am very cautious of people who are absolutely right, especially when they are vehemently so "

"One of the most important days of my life was when I learned to ride a bicycle."

Two quotes from Michael Palin. I personally happen to agree with both.

A quick search, and it looks as if Neil of SuperstarComponents? has a v shady background indeed linked to cycling forums. Very interesting reading this one of which there are others.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... 0-seatpost
  • DKay
    paxington wrote:

Absolutely last post, as you're too lazy/reluctant to look for yourself? Links posted in full, good reviews with bad. The ratio looks to be 70/30 in favour, which isn't a good ratio. All need to read and make your own mind up. Some posts are old, but some are pretty recent.

http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomme ... did=110608

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... ent-wheels

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... s-wheels-1

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... -wheelsets

The majority of issues echo what has been said on here. Great value components, but low and variable tensions. Get them looked at and tensioned up and you're onto a winner.

Goodbye.
  • paxington
    edited January 2015
    DKay wrote:
    paxington wrote:

Absolutely last post, as you're too lazy/reluctant to look for yourself? Links posted in full, good reviews with bad. The ratio looks to be 70/30 in favour, which isn't a good ratio. All need to read and make your own mind up. Some posts are old, but some are pretty recent.

http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomme ... did=110608

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... ent-wheels

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... s-wheels-1

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... -wheelsets

The majority of issues echo what has been said on here. Great value components, but low and variable tensions. Get them looked at and tensioned up and you're onto a winner.

Goodbye.

I see that none of these no doubt edifying threads relate to the thread/subject at hand namely Pacenti rimmed wheels. Without stooping to your level ie calling someone you've never meet in person lazy, I would point out that personal arguments(and you do seem to be making this personal which is why I don't reply to any more of your PM's) are best conducted in person. I'm in Bristol and happy to discuss this personally over a pint. Drive down any time.
  • paxington wrote:
    I would point out that personal arguments(and you do seem to be making this personal which is why I don't reply to any more of you're PM's) are best conducted in person. I'm in Bristol and happy to discuss this personally over a pint. Drive down any time.

Moderator here: that is best avoided... let's leave personal feelings aside. Make an effort to get on albeit with different views
    left the forum March 2023
  • Superstar really not endearing themselves here with their nothing is ever wrong we are perfect attitude. And anyone who thinks complaints on a forum are 50% knows nothing about how the Internet works. I would be surprised if anywhere near 50% of superstar customers are actually registered on any forum. And it's nice to see someone who I have bought 4 wheelsets from in the past 3 months dismiss my complaints as having nothing better to do. Irrespective of anything else that alone has ensured I will never buy from them again.

You only have to do a basic Google search to see many other complaints and in fact their own Facebook page - and there have been at least 7 on here so not sure where the 3 has come from. So far the number of people with issues on superstar wheels on this forum have outnumbered the ones with no issues - but you keep believing it's just a couple of us having a moan.

DKay is right - I had issues with my wheels but wouldn't have bothered mentioning it on a forum until I happened to see this thread and thought I'd add my opinion. Which is all it is, an opinion. Your opinion is no more right or wrong whatever you think despite the arrogance of some people on this thread.

Anyway I'm bored now. I don't really care, I've bought 4 of their wheelsets (let's remember that they are cheap lower end wheelsets we are talking about so can't expect quality build really) 1 seems ok, 2 with minor issues and 1 very poorly built (don't know about you but if the front wheel won't spin because it's so out of true then it is a crap build whether done by a robot, a 100 year old wheel artisan or a 5 year old).

Anyway that's me out I'd rather be out riding! And next time I will just go to Planet X ;)
  • I bought a pair of the SL23 when the thread first started and finally had a look at them. I'm not an expert on wheels/wheelbuilding but the wheels do seem to be well made and the back wheel appears to be true. However the front wheel is a couple of mm out, not a big issue though. Not criticising anyone here but thought I would just add another datapoint.
  • This thread is nuts. Whether there's much benefit to it now, I'm not sure. Maybe close it?

My view, while I craved a set of hand built Archetypes, but not the funds for the foreseeable I took a punt on these. The 28 spoke versions in black. I've had a month with them and done a bunch of miles on crappy roads.

Pros- light enough, stiff, hubs run forever, miraculously comfy on 25c Vredestiens, front is super true.

Cons- TIGHT tyres (but okay with a VAR lever), the back wheel is a smidge out of radial true, not enough to worry about. That's it.

So, all in all a pretty good experience. Nice wheels for a really good price. In a couple of years I still want those Archetypes though, which is where people like Ugo & CycleClinic come in :)

(Customer service tip to the guy from SSC, get out, get out now)
  • djhermer

djhermer - i would be interested in who has brought that to his attention, as Im in contact with Pacenti themselves and heard nothing of the sort from them? It sounds like a rumor to cover builders overtensioning spokes, as there are plenty out there who think cranking it up to the max is best. Thats why i have my view on spoke nipples, and i will happily listen if the manufacturer says otherwise directly to me.

:roll: my word. Are you for real? What an odd way to behave under the company name. I hope it's your company and not someone else's name you're ruining.
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    djhermer wrote:

:roll: my word. Are you for real? What an odd way to behave under the company name. I hope it's your company and not someone else's name you're ruining.
    Yeah Neil is one of the Directors and as you can see from the Singletrack world thread has even in the past pretended to be a customer to big up his products and trash competitors on forums. I just hope that he isn't still doing that. I would find it hard to buy from that level of integrity.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Just to restore a little bit of balance as I feel the Anti-Superstar Brigade are gaining momentum.

Been buying from Superstar for a good 4/5 years now.
    Started with kevlar brake pads - more durable and better power than anything else I have used
    I have a couple of handlebars and seatposts - all perform faultlessly
    First wheelset was 3 years back - Stans Crest on Superstars own Switch Evo hubs - Awesome wheelset and withstood plenty of abuse until last year I dinged the rear rim at Bike Park Wales - bear in mind this is a very light XC rim which I decided to put on the back end of a steel hardtail with a low volume summer tyre and then barrel down rocky Welsh red graded trails on. If there was ever a more blatant case of 'user error' I'd love to see it. I emailed Neil purely to ask them to rebuild the wheel for me with a stronger rim, I was happy to pay whatever was needed. Neil replied to tell me that if I sent the wheel back, Superstar would replace rim, nipples and spokes for the cost price of the rim... even though I had destroyed it. Oh and did I mention the wheelset was about half the price of any equivalent on the market at the time in the first place.

Over the last couple of years I have bought another set of Crests/Switch Evos for another bike, a set of 11 speed Pave tubulars for my roadie and a custom built set of Alpha 340's, Switch Evos, 32 Race spokes and brass nipples which are frankly, brilliant and absolutely perfect for the bike they are on. Every single wheel has been straight and true (to the eye) on delivery and taken more abuse than they are designed for. I have sent the other MTB rear wheel back to Superstar for trueing after another particularly vigourous day at BPW which came back perfect.

Long story short I have spent a lot of hard earned money with this company and I will continue spending my hard earned money and recommending them to friends because they have been faultless for me time and time again.

Their own brand kit is lighter, looks better, more modern and has better customer service back up then most stuff on the market for the same price and a lot of stuff which costs much more.

I'm buying a set of Superstar 11s carbon clinchers in the summer and no, I won't be taking them to my LBS to have the spoke tension tested because I trust them to perform exactly the same as the other 8 wheels Superstar have built for me.

I feel like this thread would never exist on the MTB side of the forum, don't ask me why...
  • DKay
    Always good to hear the other side of the argument. Contrary to what some of you may think, I'm not anti-SSC. Friends of mine have even bought their own SSC SL23 wheels based on my recommendation. Although I've admittedly told them to get the tensions checked, just in case.
  • A quick search, and it looks as if Neil of SuperstarComponents? has a v shady background indeed linked to cycling forums. Very interesting reading this one of which there are others.

Dear Mr SuperstarCompenents (Neil?),

The absence of your response to this post and the accusations and evidence in the link, undermines any credibility you may have enjoyed - are you really not going to reply? Should we take your silence as an admission of guilt to all you have been accused of?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    A quick search, and it looks as if Neil of SuperstarComponents? has a v shady background indeed linked to cycling forums. Very interesting reading this one of which there are others.

Dear Mr SuperstarCompenents (Neil?),

The absence of your response to this post and the accusations and evidence in the link, undermines any credibility you may have enjoyed - are you really not going to reply? Should we take your silence as an admission of guilt to all you have been accused of?

And does your machine sharpen pitchforks and light torches?
  • paxington
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Just to restore a little bit of balance as I feel the Anti-Superstar Brigade are gaining momentum.

Started with kevlar brake pads - more durable and better power than anything else I have used
    First wheelset was 3 years back - Stans Crest on Superstars own Switch Evo hubs - Awesome wheelset and withstood plenty of abuse until last year I dinged the rear rim at Bike Park Wales - bear in mind this is a very light XC rim which I decided to put on the back end of a steel hardtail with a low volume summer tyre and then barrel down rocky Welsh red graded trails on. If there was ever a more blatant case of 'user error' I'd love to see it. I emailed Neil purely to ask them to rebuild the wheel for me with a stronger rim, I was happy to pay whatever was needed. Neil replied to tell me that if I sent the wheel back, Superstar would replace rim, nipples and spokes for the cost price of the rim... even though I had destroyed it. Oh and did I mention the wheelset was about half the price of any equivalent on the market at the time in the first place.

Over the last couple of years I have bought another set of Crests/Switch Evos for another bike, a set of 11 speed Pave tubulars for my roadie and a custom built set of Alpha 340's, Switch Evos, 32 Race spokes and brass nipples which are frankly, brilliant and absolutely perfect for the bike they are on. Every single wheel has been straight and true (to the eye) on delivery and taken more abuse than they are designed for. I have sent the other MTB rear wheel back to Superstar for trueing after another particularly vigourous day at BPW which came back perfect.

Long story short I have spent a lot of hard earned money with this company and I will continue spending my hard earned money and recommending them to friends because they have been faultless for me time and time again.

Their own brand kit is lighter, looks better, more modern and has better customer service back up then most stuff on the market for the same price and a lot of stuff which costs much more.

I'm buying a set of Superstar 11s carbon clinchers in the summer and no, I won't be taking them to my LBS to have the spoke tension tested because I trust them to perform exactly the same as the other 8 wheels Superstar have built for me.

I feel like this thread would never exist on the MTB side of the forum, don't ask me why...

+1
    I haven't been a SS customer for anywhere near as long as you but, in common with yourself, I have only positive experiences of both buying and using their wheels.

Like yourself I see no reason to have any tensions checked.
  • we are therefore reviewing the all subject of "what moderating means", I have been asked to refrain from posting on this thread. What it means for you is that you should also leave me out, because yes, I cannot say what I think,
    Dear ugo,

Have you been banned from posting on this thread permanently then? If so what was the rationale for that? If not why not?
    In essence - What was the outcome of the review?
  • paxington wrote:
    TwellySmat wrote:

+1
    I haven't been a SS customer for anywhere near as long as you but, in common with yourself, I have only positive experiences of both buying and using their wheels.

Like yourself I see no reason to have any tensions checked.

Your perspective on this is interesting Paxington - and I can appreciate your loyalty to SSC up to this point but how do you interpret the lack of any response from SSC to what are pretty serious allegations made here and in the link to singletrack? Do you not think those allegations undermine SSCs credibility? I'm not saying those allegations make any difference to the actual real world situation with these wheels - but - if what they are accused of re posting on forums is true (and their silence, for me, is hard to interpret as anything other than an admission of guilt) does that not worry you?

Also what do you think of ugo's absence? I know you two disagreed on here but I for one really enjoyed reading your debate and robust exchanges of views. Its one of the things I like about this forum - seeing people disagree and debate and I think ugo's absence is detrimental to the thread and if he is gagged I think that will be detrimental to the forum as a whole.

I don't agree or disagree with either you or ugo (I've never even seen a set of these wheels and can't remember if I've ever bought anything from SSC!) just interested in how this thread has developed and what it says about this forum.