Pacenti SL23 Volta 11s Hubs £169.99 now £149.99 Doh

banditvic
banditvic Posts: 549
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
As the title says seems like a great buy, the cost is what you would pay for the rims alone. Does anyone know anything about these Volta 11s hubs? spokes are Sapin Lazers. weight 1490 grams.

Comments

It must be a mistake as they have the 11 speed on clearance and the 10 speed full price... probably worth taking advantage before they spot the mistake.

20/24 laser will be a bit under engineered if you are on the heavy side
    left the forum March 2023
  • I've been pondering these but they're still showing as £200 for me, have you got a code? I've posted on here and Road CC and nobody seems to have any experience of them and it usually just descends into they're too cheap so the hubs must be rubbish!

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12992903&p=19161269&hilit=superstar#p19161269

http://road.cc/content/forum/134967-sup ... wheel-hubs
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    There is a 28h version.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • It's a cycling weekly special at £169. Reading the website it's a clear out to make way for a new hub with better engagement.

I'm also thinking of a set.
  • Don't think its a mistake as they have put it in Cycling weekly, Superstar components is the retailer. Code is CWSL23 just ordered a pair up myself.
  • I've been pondering these but they're still showing as £200 for me, have you got a code? I've posted on here and Road CC and nobody seems to have any experience of them and it usually just descends into they're too cheap so the hubs must be rubbish!

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12992903&p=19161269&hilit=superstar#p19161269

I think I will quote what I said in that thread... they are all much of a muchness and if you can source spares, then it's thumbs up... if you can't, then it's thumbs down
  • Flintlock wrote:
    Reading the website it's a clear out to make way for a new hub with better engagement.

I have a set of hubs with super fast engagement and unless you run a 28 x 32 off road, they make no difference whatsoever
  • Fair enough on the spares. Not sure now.

Ugo - gun to your head, these or Zondas (assuming they were the same money) and you're not allowed to say Archetypes with Hope hubs.
  • They have a 2 year warranty with them and free lifetime truing.
  • Ordered. Darn. Gunmetal hubs and no deep section carbon rims - going to look terrible on my Foil.......
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Had a look at this offer myself.
    Can't find a picture of the rims in red or gunmetal anywhere.
    Any ideas how much more the 28 holes in black will weigh over the 20/24s ?
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Galatzo wrote:
    Any ideas how much more the 28 holes in black will weigh over the 20/24s ?

60 grams
  • Can anyone provide a link to these or are they all gone?
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Does anyone know if the 11S hubs are also compatible with 10s and 9s? I might get a pair to replace my winter wheels.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    11 speed hubs are ALWAYS compatible with less cogs.
    Space to be filled with spacers.....
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,032
    20/24 or 28 hole - 80kg rider summer training wheels (chaingangs, group rides etc)
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DeVlaeminck
    dazz_ni45 wrote:
    Can anyone provide a link to these or are they all gone?

Google superstar components - says plenty in stock
  • 20/24 or 28 hole - 80kg rider summer training wheels (chaingangs, group rides etc)

No disrespect, but you are quite lardy for 44 Sapim laser...
  • 20/24 or 28 hole - 80kg rider summer training wheels (chaingangs, group rides etc)

No disrespect, but you are quite lardy for 44 Sapim laser...
  • DeVlaeminck
    Steady on, I know you've been on a diet but don't get stroppy I am 6'2" !

So you reckon 28 hole then ? I'm happy to go with that - I've got wheels for racing so I don't want something that starts blowing spokes all the time.
  • Steady on, I know you've been on a diet but don't get stroppy I am 6'2" !

So you reckon 28 hole then ? I'm happy to go with that - I've got wheels for racing so I don't want something that starts blowing spokes all the time.

Your wheels don't know how tall you are...

TBH they will probably start blowing spokes anyway... the only 28 H set I had years ago built with DT revs was an utter and total disaster in that respect... but that was badly built probably and the rim wasn't as stiff as an SL 23... I was 10 Kg lighter than you though... :wink:
  • DeVlaeminck
    I've probably spent too much on bikes recently anyway. Definitely a case of want rather than need.
  • I've probably spent too much on bikes recently anyway. Definitely a case of want rather than need.

The Pacenti are very nice rims, but tubeless... if you don't want to go tubeless they are an un-necessary hassle... harder to fit a tyre, harder to make it sit properly with an inner tube inside. Harder to do a repair at the side of the road... I did use a pair of tubeless rims with inner tubes in the past and they are a PITA
  • Slightly off topic but, on the tyre fit, I was planning on getting some Schwalbe Ones. Are these any better or worse for getting on tricky rims like these (sorry Ugo - flying completely in the face of your sensible advice about tubeless....)
  • Slightly off topic but, on the tyre fit, I was planning on getting some Schwalbe Ones. Are these any better or worse for getting on tricky rims like these (sorry Ugo - flying completely in the face of your sensible advice about tubeless....)

Get the Schwalbe one tubeless... seems nonsensical to buy tubeless rims and then use tubed tyres, when there is a tubeless option.

The problem is tubeless rims are tighter, fitting a tyre with an inner tube without pinching it is not that easy. Then you need to help the tyre sit on the rim properly, which is a lot easier without the inner tube, in fact it would normally just pop when you inflate it... but it doesn't when it has an inner tube inside. Basically a 2 minute job can easily become a 15 minutes job
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Bit off topic, but anyway - these may interest you too: http://www.merlincycles.com/supra-ra30- ... 57767.html

I just got some Forza wheels myself from Merlin for less than 160 delivered - they usually sell for more than double that. Worth a look.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Surely these work fine with a normal clincher tyre and tube. I thought the problem is when you have a tubeless specific tyre and then need to add a tube for some reason.
  • Flintlock wrote:
    Surely these work fine with a normal clincher tyre and tube. I thought the problem is when you have a tubeless specific tyre and then need to add a tube for some reason.

They do work... is it easy to fit a tyre with an inner tube? Not really... the bigger the tyre/smaller the inner tube the easier it all becomes... if you try to fit a 23 mm tyre and a latex inner you are almost certain to pinch it... use 25/28 and the smallest inner tube on the market for easier fit.
  • They do work... is it easy to fit a tyre with an inner tube? Not really... the bigger the tyre/smaller the inner tube the easier it all becomes... if you try to fit a 23 mm tyre and a latex inner you are almost certain to pinch it... use 25/28 and the smallest inner tube on the market for easier fit.

I was planning on latex tubes with 23c tyres. I'm an idiot. Does anyone know of a really really patient club I can ride with when mine throw me out for making them wait an hour and a half every time I get a puncture?
  • Thanks Ugo