Pacenti SL23 Volta 11s Hubs £169.99 now £149.99 Doh

Comments

• Ugo - gun to your head, these or Zondas (assuming they were the same money) and you're not allowed to say Archetypes with Hope hubs.

That was my very question on page 1 of the thread. Getting all nostalgic now.
  • Ugo - gun to your head, these or Zondas (assuming they were the same money) and you're not allowed to say Archetypes with Hope hubs.

That was my very question on page 1 of the thread. Getting all nostalgic now.

29 pages later you got your answer... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    I'm using my 2 pairs of these Superstarcomponents Pacenti's for a while. One pair (28-28) is been used in my cyclocrosser, and the other set (20-24) in my bad weather bike. They're (still) true and run smooth. I'm satisfied.
    Yesterday I was trying to find my way and I missed a man made pothole: the handlebar shifted downwards, because of the impact. The wheel? Nothing happened.
  • JoostG wrote:
    I'm using my 2 pairs of these Superstarcomponents Pacenti's for a while. One pair (28-28) is been used in my cyclocrosser, and the other set (20-24) in my bad weather bike. They're (still) true and run smooth. I'm satisfied.
    Yesterday I was trying to find my way and I missed a man made pothole: the handlebar shifted downwards, because of the impact. The wheel? Nothing happened.

Can you give an update after 3-4000 miles please.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Can you give an update after 3-4000 miles please.

You are so last year... I bet you still quote the Velominati rules... :lol:

Now it's all about the DT Spline 23 and the Zuus plastic rims! :wink:
  • adam0bmx0
    adam0bmx0 Posts: 263
    Brief update, decided to use my 2011 Ksryium Elites for Flanders this weekend because changing tubes if punctured take too long on the Pacentis. Anyhoo, decided to swap over the 11-28 that is on the Pacenti (rather than the 11-25 on the Ksyrium) and this is the freehub comparison, 5 months old vs 4 years;

free%20hubs_zpsvy35skaa.jpg

Front wheel is also out of true now by about 3mm but not too bothered just yet.
    If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    adam0bmx0 wrote:
    Brief update, decided to use my 2011 Ksryium Elites for Flanders this weekend because changing tubes if punctured take too long on the Pacentis. Anyhoo, decided to swap over the 11-28 that is on the Pacenti (rather than the 11-25 on the Ksyrium) and this is the freehub comparison, 5 months old vs 4 years;

quality build that!
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    adam0bmx0 wrote:
    Anyhoo, decided to swap over the 11-28 that is on the Pacenti (rather than the 11-25 on the Ksyrium) and this is the freehub comparison, 5 months old vs 4 years;

Having sprockets eat into a freehub body isn't anything abnormal, especially if they're a soft alloy as found on your Novatec-based hubs. It won't affect performance. Some Novatec hubs now come 'anti-bite guard', which is a strip of harder metal (probably steel) on the trailing edge of the freehub splines.

The 3mm out of true is a bit more worrying though.
  • ugo.santalucia
    adam0bmx0 wrote:

You need to have those wheels properly tensioned, or it will keep going out of true and soon the spokes will pop...

As for the freehub, it's normal, if you struggle to fit the cassette just file the edges of the splines and happy days. Mavic use steel freehub bodies, hence it won't happen there
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Cycling Plus this month mini review on Pacenti/ Icon Ultra hubs 4 star rating.
  • DKay
    What were the general comments in the review?
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Same as on here really, good wheels which may need tweaking.
  • ugo.santalucia
    banditvic wrote:
    Same as on here really, good wheels which may need tweaking.

If they admit they might need tweaking, 4 star seems a bit rich, no?
  • LEY8R
    LEY8R Posts: 11
    Does tweaking not mean fixing to make right?Maybe a better deal would be to send the wheels laced up and allow the user to bring the tension up yourself-a bit like those finish off yourself hi-fi kits in the 70s.
  • ugo.santalucia
    LEY8R wrote:
    Does tweaking not mean fixing to make right?Maybe a better deal would be to send the wheels laced up and allow the user to bring the tension up yourself-a bit like those finish off yourself hi-fi kits in the 70s.

:lol::lol:

After having invested the best part of a million quid in an automated wheel building line, that would be the last straw, I would imagine... :wink:
  • Origami02
    Origami02 Posts: 147
    banditvic wrote:
    Cycling Plus this month mini review on Pacenti/ Icon Ultra hubs 4 star rating.

Is this the review you read ? http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -15-49349/
    The wheels in this review appear to have different spokes and hubs. Race spokes instead of Laser, and Icon hubs in place of Volta.
  • DKay
    Origami02 wrote:
    Is this the review you read ? http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -15-49349/
    The wheels in this review appear to have different spokes and hubs. Race spokes instead of Laser, and Icon hubs in place of Volta.

Let's face it though, how much can you trust a review, when it lists 'cheap stickers' as an issue and doesn't understand that you should use two layers of tubeless rim tape and not just one.
  • Origami02
    I guess the beauty is that people can read the review and make up their own minds. Going on the fact that you chose to comment on two trivial points and studiously avoided acknowledging the overall positive conclusion, you clearly have your mind already made up. Not everyone is quite so intransigent.
    By the way, one wrap of tape is enough for running the rims with tubes which was how the reviewer was running them.
    Several posters on this thread asked if the stickers are easily removable so it doesn't seem such a daft observation for the guy to mention as an aside to his main comments.
    Anyhoo, my main question was for Banditvic as I wanted to ascertain if this review was the one he refers to.
  • DKay
    Origami02 wrote:
    I guess the beauty is that people can read the review and make up their own minds. Going on the fact that you chose to comment on two trivial points and studiously avoided acknowledging the overall positive conclusion, you clearly have your mind already made up. Not everyone is quite so intransigent.
    By the way, one wrap of tape is enough for running the rims with tubes which was how the reviewer was running them.

My issue is not with the wheels, but with the reviewers credentials. As it is, I have a pair of SL23s with 'Volta' hubs from SS and I'm very happy with them. I've had mine re-tensioned though. Still a steal for what I paid for them.

One wrap of tape may be ok in the short term, but not in the long term. Stans tape is thicker than the SS stuff and even they still advise on using a double layer with road tyre pressures.

Your particular style of writing looks familar though. Do I know you? :lol:
  • Origami02
    DKay wrote:

Didn't you just say something very similar to spectastic on a thread about Chinese frames ? Not helpful.
    Please go and have your ego stroked else where. By the time the guy I asked my question to next logs on, the question will be submerged under a sea of irrelevance. Please desist.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    Origami02 wrote:
    DKay wrote:

Didn't you just say something very similar to spectastic on a thread about Chinese frames ? Not helpful.
    Please go and have your ego stroked else where. By the time the guy I asked my question to next logs on, the question will be submerged under a sea of irrelevance. Please desist.

I smell a rat :roll:
  • DKay
    It certainly does seem that a few recent new members have a bit of a stinky attitude. That's what I'm getting a whiff of anyway.
  • Origami02
    edited April 2015
    Unreal.
  • Origami02
    How about the guy that wrote the review http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -15-49349/ how does he fit into your conspiracy theory ? Not to mention BikeRadar for hosting the review?
    Seriously, try to get out more or a least get a flat-mate , it'll ease your very apparent boredom.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Origami, if you are a genuine poster, how about being a little more polite? you have been attacking people from the off with very little provocation.

how to win friends and influence people, etc.
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Paxington! How are you today?
  • Origami02
    edited April 2015
    This is a buying advice forum, I posted a genuine link to a genuine review, which is hosted bike bikeradar so presumably BR endorse it's validity. As such the link is relevant and useful to this thread and hopefully of some use to prospective wheel buyers in deciding whether to buy or not. It is after all a free country, though you guys seems to object to the right to free speech if someone says something that doesn't support your view.

The posts in reply to my original post appear to serve no useful purpose. If you've used the link and read the review I can only assume it's positive nature is a problem for you. Why that should be the case I couldn't even speculate, your agenda is of no interest to me. However it's possibly more than coincidence that the usernames trying to throw mud my way have all thrown mud at these wheels on this thread.
    I can only think your spam posts are to push the link off the page so genuine people won't see it.http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -15-49349/

Lets stick to talk of bike bits , and not devalue the forum with bickering. People can read the review using the link and decide for themselves, to me it seems very straight forward and non contentious.
  • darkhairedlord
    it's not our old mate paxington again is it?
    or another superstar stooge?
  • Origami02
    it's not our old mate paxington again is it?
    or another superstar stooge?
    Chap seriously, the only credibility you're destroying with random interjections like that is your own and the forum's.
    It's so easy to post without thinking, try a little circumspection. This is meant to be a useful resource, please don't degrade it.
  • darkhairedlord
    Okay, so if you're not Paxington or another superstar stooge then fair enough.
    However, you have ten posts and most of them dishing out crap to anyone you disagree with (everyone else).
    Oh dear, did someone push "your" link to a review down the thread?
    Did some one post without thinking? on a forum? other than you?
    Yes it is supposed to be useful resource but I am not sure how it is anyone but you degrading it.