Planet X London Road

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Hi all, just got the PX LR Rival for £640!! Will post back how I feel about it soon as this thread came in very handy for me when choosing which bike I wanted.

How did you get it for £640? I have a 12% code which would be £704.

Can't decide between this (maybe in Olive Green but can't find any images of this colour anywhere), or a Genesis Croix De Fer 20 at £699. I'd prefer steel TBH I think.

Hmm.
  • 20% off code on Christmas Day :)

Already having a bit of drama before it's even arrived, when I placed the order I asked if it would be here before the 8th as that's when I go back to uni and he said "maybe, wait until your order confirmation comes through and see what it says and if not just ring us and change the address" so I did and they said they'll see what they can do but I probably won't be able to change it. I tried ringing back today and was in the phone queue for 3 hours before I just gave up... I hope it can be changed otherwise my new bike will be stuck at home until after my exams :(
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    20% off code on Christmas Day :)

I picked up a hydraulic Rival 1 for £800 on Christmas day :) Currently commuting on a Specialized Roubaix Elite. I'm looking forward to having a proper pannier rack and proper mudguards and taking the guards and bag bracket off my Roubaix :)

Just waiting for my cyclescheme voucher now :(
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    20% off code on Christmas Day :)

Looked at that but bought a frameset from their Ebay outlet for £200 instead of £300 or £240 with discount code.
    Already having a bit of drama before it's even arrived, when I placed the order I asked if it would be here before the 8th as that's when I go back to uni and he said "maybe, wait until your order confirmation comes through and see what it says and if not just ring us and change the address" so I did and they said they'll see what they can do but I probably won't be able to change it. I tried ringing back today and was in the phone queue for 3 hours before I just gave up... I hope it can be changed otherwise my new bike will be stuck at home until after my exams :(

Was a bit worried too as I ordered the frame on Christmas day and headset and stem plus a few other bit to make up £50 free postage and they arrived Thursday 30th but nothing about the frame but got a shipment notice for delivery Tuesday 05/01 on Monday.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • garnett
    garnett Posts: 196
    Ordered my PX LR back in September and have been delighted with it so far. Swapped out the original Fulcrum Wheelset and Avid BB7's for my Moonglu handbuilts (Hope Pro2 Evo hubs and Archetype rims) and TRP Spyres from a previous build. Also switched the saddle for my Fizik Arione. Quick pic below of the final set up:-

21320230600_9486fdca1c_c.jpg

Before anyone gets the flaming urge - I need the flipped stem for my ageing bones

Looks really good, but something wasn't quite right, so I checked...

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#8

The bartape needs to match the saddle
  • Was a bit worried too as I ordered the frame on Christmas day and headset and stem plus a few other bit to make up £50 free postage and they arrived Thursday 30th but nothing about the frame but got a shipment notice for delivery Tuesday 05/01 on Monday.

Mine's not gonna be here till the 11th :(
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    Blackburn EX2 rack installed. Just need to pick up some bargain nearly-new Ortlieb panniers and I'm tour-ready. (Give or take a tent purchase, etc...) Very exciting!

23564023544_4227a2436a_c.jpg
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 950
    Before anyone gets the flaming urge - I need the flipped stem for my ageing bones

Any trouble with your back when you flipped the stem? Did you put your saddle further back? I have long legs and short arms so flipping would suit me, but my back sits unnaturally when I do.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    The blue paintscheme is nice!

Do I need a new frame? 8)
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • PhilPub
    The blue paintscheme is nice!

n+1!

It is a nice blue, a bit darker than it looks in the pic. I'm not a big fan of the graphics but the blue is nice.
  • The blue paintscheme is nice!

n+1!

It is a nice blue, a bit darker than it looks in the pic. I'm not a big fan of the graphics but the blue is nice.

Exactly. I can't understand why they have ruined the blue frame with the horrible graphics. Why they didn't keep the same Planet X logo as per the lime green, black and silver frames I've no idea.
    "One thing that is worse than Carlton Kirby: people complaining about Carlton Kirby.

Talk about first world problems."

The_Boy, 13/4/14, Paris-Roubaix 2014 "spoiler" thread
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Bad influence boys, I must resist :lol:
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • PhilPub

Exactly. I can't understand why they have ruined the blue frame with the horrible graphics. Why they didn't keep the same Planet X logo as per the lime green, black and silver frames I've no idea.

It took me a few days to realise that it had "Flaming Dragon" written on the frame. Eh? Totally inappropriate. I've christened it "Bob". Bob the Beast.
  • seanorawe
    Im afraid to say that I hate the blue frame, and its because of the awful graphics on it
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Im afraid to say that I hate the blue frame, and its because of the awful graphics on it
    I agree entirely. It's a nice colour, and would have looked great with the same graphics as the black and zesty lime frames (or even the olive green style graphics). Baffled as to why they put those graphics on.
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    I ordered a London Road last night!!
    Stealth black Rival model, can't wait :-)
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561

Any trouble with your back when you flipped the stem? Did you put your saddle further back? I have long legs and short arms so flipping would suit me, but my back sits unnaturally when I do.

Never had any back problems with the flipped stem. It's probably just a legacy of the position I adopted with my first road bike (Specialized Secteur Elite) which had a really tall head tube. Guess I just got used to that more upright position and having recently clocked up my "3 score years and ten" I don't have the flexibilty to be happy with the racing snake slammed stem set-up.

Actually my saddle position is generally forward (about 410mm horizontally from saddle nose to centre of steerer top cap). I'm 5'11'' with a 32'' inseam and I'm riding the Large PX LR frame.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Was a bit worried too as I ordered the frame on Christmas day and headset and stem plus a few other bit to make up £50 free postage and they arrived Thursday 30th but nothing about the frame but got a shipment notice for delivery Tuesday 05/01 on Monday.

Mine's not gonna be here till the 11th :(

The way Yodel are going it looks like that'll be the same day as I get mine :x
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • seanorawe

Welcome to the family. Amazing bike
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • bigmonka

Welcome to the family. Amazing bike
    Thanks! It's not being built until the 18th Jan though :(
  • I just spend about half an hour writing out a virgin post after registering to share mine and lost it :( Anyway, I'll just share the pictures for now :)

In a nutshell I was injured (doored resulting in a broken finger) in September riding a fixed gear bike on skinny tyres and, although I came back to it, realised that I needed something more practical.

Thanks to this thread and the experiences shared, I went for the London Road and have kitted it out with Chromoplastics and a Tortec rack: Size 'M' Rival build with BB7s and the Vittoria Randoneurs 35c - I'm contemplating getting some folding Gators in 28 or 32.

6f610dd842240fff4b41b696326a9185f08b2651.jpeg

c8e0c84685d14b81abef9a3139e7d66dd3364a16.jpeg
  • bigmonka
    I just spend about half an hour writing out a virgin post after registering to share mine and lost it :( Anyway, I'll just share the pictures for now :)

In a nutshell I was injured (doored resulting in a broken finger) in September riding a fixed gear bike on skinny tyres and, although I came back to it, realised that I needed something more practical.

Thanks to this thread and the experiences shared, I went for the London Road and have kitted it out with Chromoplastics and a Tortec rack: Size 'M' Rival build with BB7s and the Vittoria Randoneurs 35c - I'm contemplating getting some folding Gators in 28 or 32.

6f610dd842240fff4b41b696326a9185f08b2651.jpeg

c8e0c84685d14b81abef9a3139e7d66dd3364a16.jpeg
    Yours is looking great J0nathan :D
    Are they P45 chromoplastics? I need to order some for mine as the planet-x bikebuilder options only had silver ones which would look naff with the black frame.
    And it looks like you went for Fulcrum wheels rather than the handbuilt WTB/Selcof ones - is there a reason for that? I've currently gone for the WTB ones but I've still got time to change my order if the Fulcrums are going to be better!
  • Thanks!

Yep, this is what I ordered from Wiggle:
    £21.99 1 x SKS Chromoplastic Road Mudguard Set Black - 45mm Width 700x28-38 - Wide

Main reason I went for the Fulcrums is that I rode some Fulcrum 5s once before and they felt really good so I trust the brand. I'm sure there's not much between them. Would be good to know the weight of both. I'd have chosen the others if I knew they were any lighter :)
  • PhilPub
    I just spend about half an hour writing out a virgin post after registering to share mine and lost it :( Anyway, I'll just share the pictures for now :)

Mine will look a bit more like this tomorrow after I've picked up some red Ortlieb Classics. :)

FWIW I've just weighed my front wheel, the WTB on the standard build, 1780g incl. the Hutchinson Top Slick 2 (stated weight 590g).

BigMonka - I originally intended to order black guards, only realised they were silver after ordering but I think they look good - Chromoplastic 45. Could potentially look OK on a black frame I reckon, depending on how you accessorised.

24204843006_03e1dcc8c0_c.jpg
  • Snap on the Arione!

I plan to give mine a bath on Sunday so will try to remember to weigh up my front wheel for a comparison :)
  • Anyone with the old stock px wheels on their lr? I'm just wondering whether u should go to narrower tyres. I'm on the stock Areo tyres it came with at 37 wide. Would a 32 make any difference. Would it look awful if I Kept the guards I put on for the existing tyres?

Just not sure if the rims will take thinner tyres for the road. I'm used to to 23s in the past but thinking 28 to 32, perhaps 25 too. Would these narrow tyres affect speed much or even b handling on the road? It's a cheap upgrade as I can't afford new wheels.
  • bigmonka
    Thanks!

£21.99 1 x SKS Chromoplastic Road Mudguard Set Black - 45mm Width 700x28-38 - Wide

Main reason I went for the Fulcrums is that I rode some Fulcrum 5s once before and they felt really good so I trust the brand. I'm sure there's not much between them. Would be good to know the weight of both. I'd have chosen the others if I knew they were any lighter :)
    I'll get those ordered from Wiggle as that seems the cheapest price for them. I assume the frame has got all the mounting points they need?

This thread is getting me all excited about the bike arriving now! Especially as I didn't sleep very well the night after ordering it as it's more than double what I've ever spent on a bike :shock:
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Thanks!

I'll get those ordered from Wiggle as that seems the cheapest price for them. I assume the frame has got all the mounting points they need?

This thread is getting me all excited about the bike arriving now! Especially as I didn't sleep very well the night after ordering it as it's more than double what I've ever spent on a bike :shock:

The frame has all the mounting point but it is a bit fiddly. I got SKS longblades(longboards? Can't remeember exactly) which are pretty similar to the chromoplastics. Front guard was awkward because the mount points are halfway up the fork rather than at the end so had to bend the brackets to fit which brought the mudguard closer to the floor than I'd like so had to cut a section off it. I suspect this may not be an issue with chromoplastics as think they're shorter anyway.

For the rear guard the fixing at the rear bridge is the wrong alignment for the fixing that comes with the guards, simple solution is to drill a hole in the guard and bolt straight through
  • PhilPub
    The frame has all the mounting point but it is a bit fiddly. I got SKS longblades(longboards? Can't remeember exactly) which are pretty similar to the chromoplastics. Front guard was awkward because the mount points are halfway up the fork rather than at the end so had to bend the brackets to fit which brought the mudguard closer to the floor than I'd like so had to cut a section off it. I suspect this may not be an issue with chromoplastics as think they're shorter anyway.

For the rear guard the fixing at the rear bridge is the wrong alignment for the fixing that comes with the guards, simple solution is to drill a hole in the guard and bolt straight through

Yes, all the fittings but fiddly. As you can see on my front end, the stays needed bending to align with the guard, but that's quite straightforward. Then there's a lot of material to hacksaw off. I used the front section of the fork crown, first fiddling the bolt through from the inside (bit fiddly) and poking the allen key through the rear hole all the way through the fork, nut on the front of the fork. (Attempting to use the rear part of the fork left the mudguard too far away from the tyre.)

I managed to attach the rear guard without the need for drilling. Simply bolt the bracket itself to the bottom of the seat stay bridge (at right angles), then bend round 90 degrees and slot the guard through. Luckily, even though there is no wiggle room for adjustment, this gave just the right clearance. I used an oversized bolt as a spacer at the chain stay bridge to get the clearance all the way round.
  • seanorawe
    edited January 2016
    Anyone with the old stock px wheels on their lr? I'm just wondering whether u should go to narrower tyres. I'm on the stock Areo tyres it came with at 37 wide. Would a 32 make any difference. Would it look awful if I Kept the guards I put on for the existing tyres?

Just not sure if the rims will take thinner tyres for the road. I'm used to to 23s in the past but thinking 28 to 32, perhaps 25 too. Would these narrow tyres affect speed much or even b handling on the road? It's a cheap upgrade as I can't afford new wheels.

Im on the old stock wheels because they had a bigger spoke count for my generous weight. I have put 28 tyres on and they are a super job and very comfy. I wouldn't put 25s on simply because 28s are so comfy. however, I think 25s will go on no problem.

As for the wheels, they have taken a hammering this winter, and still run true.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0