Planet X London Road

Comments

• FWIW I've just weighed my front wheel, the WTB on the standard build, 1780g incl. the Hutchinson Top Slick 2 (stated weight 590g).

Just weighed it - 1830g with the Vittoria, which looks to weigh in at 640g, according to Wiggle. So they are identical in weight (1190g).
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    FWIW I've just weighed my front wheel, the WTB on the standard build, 1780g incl. the Hutchinson Top Slick 2 (stated weight 590g).

Just weighed it - 1830g with the Vittoria, which looks to weigh in at 640g, according to Wiggle. So they are identical in weight (1190g).
    Great info, thanks a lot for checking. Think I'll stick with the build spec I've currently got with the WTB.
    I went with the 37mm continental sport contact tyre, not sure if its any good or not, it's just a decent brand. Funny how the three of us have all chosen different tyres!
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    Funny how the three of us have all chosen different tyres!

I could be wrong, but I get the impression PX change the build options from time to time, possibly due to whatever stock they've got available/looking to get rid of?? I chose the Hutchinson purely because they were the only 32c option. As it is, I've just ordered some Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 32c, not that I've got anything against the Hutchinson so far but the Schwalbe get such a good write-up for endurance, puncture protection, etc, and for a weight saving of 420g for the pair they should roll a lot better. Plus the reflective side-wall looks like a good safety feature/looks good!
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 950
    I had 35c Vittoria voyager on and they were horrendous. So many punctures, and very slippery in the wet. I also have 28c PX Guttersnipe and they are great. At the minute I have on 35c Maxxis Overdrive tyres, and they seem to be a lot better
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • Mine arrived today! So happy with it. Such a smooth ride!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Today's Yodel driver had the sense to deliver my frame to the cafe under my flat after trying to deliver it to me when I was at work on Wednesday & Thursday. Won't be able to build it up till early March though :( :x
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • PhilPub
    I spent best part of two hours getting my new Schwalbe Marathon Supremes on last night. Just hope they're as p******e resistant as I've been told because I'm not dealing with that again on a rainy A21.

Ball-ache!
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    I found the wtb rims a bitch to get tyres onto, bad craic if a puncture happens in the middle of nowhere. The fulcrums were much better but better again were the aksium disc I changed to
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • I have a reply that's being moderated, but have you used a 'tyre mate' tool to lever the bead onto the rim?

I originally got one after I spent the best part of an entire afternoon tearing my thumbs away from the nails trying to push some Gatorskin 'Hardshell' folding beads onto rims. Now I use it all the time and always carry it with me.

On a different note, is there a knack to reinstalling the rear wheel with Sram Rival? I've been confounded by it both times I've removed the wheel. I think it is because the spring inside the RD is stronger than I'm used to (Ultegra).

I couldn't get it back in without removing the quick release skewer and nearly bent the rotor in the process!
  • NeXXus
    I put my wheel back in on the biggest cog, ie the 32 seems to be easier
  • I put my wheel back in on the biggest cog, ie the 32 seems to be easier

Ah, good tip - my habit is to do it on the smallest so that may explain why.
  • PhilPub
    I have a reply that's being moderated, but have you used a 'tyre mate' tool to lever the bead onto the rim?

I originally got one after I spent the best part of an entire afternoon tearing my thumbs away from the nails trying to push some Gatorskin 'Hardshell' folding beads onto rims. Now I use it all the time and always carry it with me.

On a different note, is there a knack to reinstalling the rear wheel with Sram Rival? I've been confounded by it both times I've removed the wheel. I think it is because the spring inside the RD is stronger than I'm used to (Ultegra).

I couldn't get it back in without removing the quick release skewer and nearly bent the rotor in the process!

Cheers for the tyre mate tip, will definitely invest in one. I thought I'd bought the wrong tyre size.

Interesting tip on the small cog. I just slot it on the small cog as normal, then move the mech + wheel over till it lines up with the rotor, then slot in. May try the bigger cog approach and see if it's less fiddly.
  • garnett
    garnett Posts: 196
    Can anyone recommend decent mudguards for the London Road - I went for some SKS Bluemels Olympic Mudguards 700c 45mm Black Reflective and they were a bugger to fit and don't look that good.

The eyelets midway down the fork seem incompatible with most mudgaurd designs.
  • staffo
    staffo Posts: 82
    I have those mudguards on my London Road and they fit fine and look ok. Just bend and cut the front stays using a set of pliers for the bending and cut with a small pipe cutter. No mudguards look particularly good tbh.
  • seanorawe
    Im using stock Planet X cyclo cross wheels and I don't even need tyre levers to put 28c or 35c tyres back on. Changing tyre for the turbo trainer is a doddle.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • NeXXus
    SKS Longboard. Nothing else offers the length and protection
  • PhilPub
    Can anyone recommend decent mudguards for the London Road - I went for some SKS Bluemels Olympic Mudguards 700c 45mm Black Reflective and they were a bugger to fit and don't look that good.

The eyelets midway down the fork seem incompatible with most mudgaurd designs.

I just bent the stays on my chromoplastics by hand so that they aligned with the fittings on the guard, think it looks pretty neat. If I was purchasing again I'd get the longboards for the extra coverage as mentioned, but as it is I'm quite pleased with my home-made flap fashioned from a plastic milk carton and electrical tape. 8)

23968184069_8c7aa3dee6_c.jpg
  • Saw a neat hack on another forum where someone had riveted an 'ass saver' to the end of a mudguard to create a flap.
  • Those of you having issues with grip / punctures on the Vittoria Voyager Hypers, what kind of pressures are you running them at?

I find them excellent, but I was not that impressed initially when I had them at about 80psi. I reduced the pressures in line with an online calculator for 15% drop and now run the front at 50 and rear at 65 psi (I'm ~90kg and carry heavy panniers often). They roll very well at these pressure and the ride is really plush. Not had a single visit in well over 1000 miles either...
  • staffo
    staffo Posts: 82
    Those of you having issues with grip / punctures on the Vittoria Voyager Hypers, what kind of pressures are you running them at?

I find them excellent, but I was not that impressed initially when I had them at about 80psi. I reduced the pressures in line with an online calculator for 15% drop and now run the front at 50 and rear at 65 psi (I'm ~90kg and carry heavy panniers often). They roll very well at these pressure and the ride is really plush. Not had a single visit in well over 1000 miles either...

I had mine between 40/50 on the front and 50/60 on the rear. They were brilliant for the first 1800 miles but then the punctures started coming thick and fast. They looked like they still had plenty of life left in them but they were starting to cut up badly. It's a shame because I really liked the ride on them.
  • Those of you having issues with grip / punctures on the Vittoria Voyager Hypers, what kind of pressures are you running them at?

I had mine between 40/50 on the front and 50/60 on the rear. They were brilliant for the first 1800 miles but then the punctures started coming thick and fast. They looked like they still had plenty of life left in them but they were starting to cut up badly. It's a shame because I really liked the ride on them.

Ah, ok, maybe the trouble is yet to come for me then! Got my eye on a tubeless conversion to Schwalbe S-One's when the Vittorias die, they look really nice...
  • seanorawe
    I was running a similar pressure to you, but they cut up very easy and it seems that anything will penetrate through to the tube. They are comfortable though.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • After I discovered a crack in my Bianchi 928 carbon frame near the bottom bracket I decided it best to strip it of its components and put them all on a new frame.

I am considering the Planet X London Road as a replacement however it appears to be for disc brake. Can I use my Ultegra 6700 10 speed groupset with caliper brakes on this frame?
  • PhilPub
    I am considering the Planet X London Road as a replacement however it appears to be for disc brake. Can I use my Ultegra 6700 10 speed groupset with caliper brakes on this frame?

No, there's no drilling for a brake caliper on the seat stay bridge. Plus the massive clearance on the fork probably means too much of a drop at the front as well.
  • NeXXus
    After I discovered a crack in my Bianchi 928 carbon frame near the bottom bracket I decided it best to strip it of its components and put them all on a new frame.

No of course not. You can use the groupset and mechanical disc brakes like Avid BB7
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Finally got around to replacing the 35mm Vittorria randonneurs that came with mine with 28mm Michelin pro4 endurance. Much happier, more grippy even with less rubber, possibly still some release agent on the tyre and wet cold roads today!
  • pgmabley
    pgmabley Posts: 107
    Finally got around to replacing the 35mm Vittorria randonneurs that came with mine with 28mm Michelin pro4 endurance. Much happier, more grippy even with less rubber, possibly still some release agent on the tyre and wet cold roads today!

I just did that with the 25mm endurance on my son's London Rd, he's much happier with them and 1kg saved on the wheelset too by changing these and the slime tubes out.
  • thebenb
    thebenb Posts: 10
    Hi

I've just got the 1x11 version of this, and It's well nice!

What I'm not sure about it what is the maximum tyre size I can get and still fit mudguards.
    I'm planning to fit Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres.
    I'm sure 35mm will give enough clearance for guards, but if they will fit, I wanted to get the 38mm tyres.

Another consideration is that the product page states the wheels (Vision Team 30) are tubeless ready. I'm not convinced though, as the Visiontech site makes no mention of them being tubeless ready.

Any thoughts?
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I have 37C Continental Sport Contacts on mine with plenty of room under the guards. No idea how the real dimensions compare to the real dimensions of 38C Marathon Plus's though.
  • thebenb
    thebenb Posts: 10
    I have 37C Continental Sport Contacts on mine with plenty of room under the guards. No idea how the real dimensions compare to the real dimensions of 38C Marathon Plus's though.

Cheers. I know someone who has 38 M+ tyres, so I think the best thing to do is to borrow their tye and check before buying the new ones.

Now, if I can get an answer from PX about whether the wheels are tubeless or not...