Planet X London Road

Comments

• seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 950
    38mm tyres shouldn't be a problem. Its interesting that 25mm tyres go on ok, what wheels do you have?
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • seanorawe
    Here is my bike after a nice hot wash down. 35mm Maxxis tyres and a rear guard only. I broke the front guard trying to bend the stays to fit.

Im considering doing something to the Planet X brand on the tube, and Ill post this in the workshop too, but I would like the Planet X wording to be highlighted. I do like the stealth look, but I also think highlighting it would look sweet. IS there any way I can do this? Decal around it? Paint it?

20160117_101123_zpsn3agyzhw.jpg
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Here is my bike after a nice hot wash down. 35mm Maxxis tyres and a rear guard only. I broke the front guard trying to bend the stays to fit.

Im considering doing something to the Planet X brand on the tube, and Ill post this in the workshop too, but I would like the Planet X wording to be highlighted. I do like the stealth look, but I also think highlighting it would look sweet. IS there any way I can do this? Decal around it? Paint it?

20160117_101123_zpsn3agyzhw.jpg

You could always over-stick the existing matt decals with some brightly coloured ones from this seller

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Planet-X-Replacement-Bike-Frame-Vinyl-Decals-Stickers-MTB-/291656307214?var=&hash=item43e812120e:m:mZDgJpx34SvIo1imVRJtr_w
  • seanorawe
    You could always over-stick the existing matt decals with some brightly coloured ones from this seller

I was looking at that but the decal on the bike now is slightly ribbed.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • I think the website says up to 40c but that depends on b the tyre. I have 37c areo own brand tyres and it looks like there is plenty of clearance even with zone tortec reflector mudguards. Yet to install the front one though.

Just out of curiosity, do you put a different set of winter tyres on or the same all year round?
  • thebenb
    thebenb Posts: 10
    So Planet X customer services replied. The Team 30 wheels are not tubeless, but the next spec for these bikes is for Team 35s (which don't seem to exist on the visiontech website!) which will be. Apparently.

It's rather misleading for the page http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRIV1/planet-x-london-road-sram-rival-1-hydraulic-disc-road-bike to state "Wision Team 35" [sic] and tubeless ready on the description, then "Vision Team 30" on the component list further down.

But according to them, because the Team 35s will be part of the spec when they arrive, it's OK to leave that description in!!
  • seanorawe
    So Planet X customer services replied. The Team 30 wheels are not tubeless, but the next spec for these bikes is for Team 35s (which don't seem to exist on the visiontech website!) which will be. Apparently.

It's rather misleading for the page http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRIV1/planet-x-london-road-sram-rival-1-hydraulic-disc-road-bike to state "Wision Team 35" [sic] and tubeless ready on the description, then "Vision Team 30" on the component list further down.

But according to them, because the Team 35s will be part of the spec when they arrive, it's OK to leave that description in!!
    From experience customer services will tell you pretty much anything to get you away or off the phone
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • 20160120_084148_zps8xzcehzm.jpg

No dramas on the -5 commute this morning.
    Love this bike
  • thebenb
    Love this bike

Nice. I might get a new wheelset so I can keep the ice tyres fitted!
    Or is that just very lazy?
  • No dramas on the -5 commute this morning.
    Love this bike

Nice. I might get a new wheelset so I can keep the ice tyres fitted!
    Or is that just very lazy?

I managed to get some Kinesis Crosslight v3s for £225 in a Ribble sale last year so those have got my Voyager Hypers on.
    I had a spare set of rotors too and luckily the two sets of wheels have the same disc spacing so it's a simple 5 minute job of swapping the cassette over when I need to change tyres.

The winter set is about 1.5kg heavier than the summer too so it's going to feel amazing swapping back :D
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I have my ice tyres on my old hybrid (just fitted them at the weekend), but have been ok sticking to gritted routes with my slicks on my LR so far. I definitely fancy buying a set of tubeless ready wheels to use day to day and then put the ice tyres on my PX wheels in the winter (and maybe some CX tyres on them in the summer for occasional off road fun).
  • I have my ice tyres on my old hybrid (just fitted them at the weekend), but have been ok sticking to gritted routes with my slicks on my LR so far. I definitely fancy buying a set of tubeless ready wheels to use day to day and then put the ice tyres on my PX wheels in the winter (and maybe some CX tyres on them in the summer for occasional off road fun).

Yeah, similar plan for me as I've got a set of CX tyres in the shed. The crosslights are tubeless ready and I fancy the Schwalbe S-Ones next for road use.
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    Ryan, that looks proper cool with the spike tyres! Mine is still being built (the 3-5days build time on their website is a right crock) but I can't wait to get out on it. I think I'll keep my spikes on my hybrid and then choose between the bikes each morning - although I'll be gutted if it arrives when its too cold to go out on it!
  • seanorawe
    20160120_084148_zps8xzcehzm.jpg

Love this bike

Double wrapped bars?
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Great setup :)
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • seanorawe
    Anyone having trouble adjusting the brakes on their LR? I have the standard mechanical bb7s but I cant get the brakes so that there is no rubbing on the pads and the brake levers more responsive. Currently, I have to pull the levers all the way in to engage the pads on the rotors. Its not really a problem on the hoods, but in the drops, the levers are touching my hands when I pull them.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • Bullet1
    Bullet1 Posts: 161
    seanorawe wrote:
    Anyone having trouble adjusting the brakes on their LR? I have the standard mechanical bb7s but I cant get the brakes so that there is no rubbing on the pads and the brake levers more responsive. Currently, I have to pull the levers all the way in to engage the pads on the rotors. Its not really a problem on the hoods, but in the drops, the levers are touching my hands when I pull them.

Mine arrived today and exactly the same - front brake terrible set up! No barrel adjuster either.

I've partially adjusted mine using the two red discs then had to hold the caliper partially closed whilst reclamping the cable!

I've tried as per the Sram website but looking on other forums this guys method is.....different but gets half decent reviews!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NasGJFtgq0A
  • seanorawe
    Bullet1 wrote:
    seanorawe wrote:

Mine arrived today and exactly the same - front brake terrible set up! No barrel adjuster either.

I've partially adjusted mine using the two red discs then had to hold the caliper partially closed whilst reclamping the cable!

I've tried as per the Sram website but looking on other forums this guys method is.....different but gets half decent reviews!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NasGJFtgq0A

Yeah, I opened the clamp on the cable and couldn't pull it anymore even with needle nose pliers to get the cable tighter. Same issue, no adjuster. I must try partially closing the caliper to see if that works. PX have assured me that the cables and housing should be the correct size and they ruled that out right away. I have no previous experience with disc brakes, so Im not sure if thats just how they should be. That being said, although the levers need to travel, they stop the bike.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • thebenb
    I love this bike so much.

The hydraulic brakes are awesome. I nearly ran over a dog yesterday, but managed to avoid it.
    And the 1x11 gearing is a revelation.

So I was pondering getting tubeless wheels as I like the idea of tubeless tyres very much for commuting on.
    Any recommendations for a good wheelset?
  • thebenb wrote:
    So I was pondering getting tubeless wheels as I like the idea of tubeless tyres very much for commuting on.

I have a set of Kinesis Crosslight V3 which, despite not being advertised as such, are tubeless ready.
    The V4 has just come out so the V3 can be picked up cheaply: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kinesis-crossli ... -wheelset/

Some people have commented that they had problems with at higher road pressures so might be worth bearing in mind in case you were planning on skinnier tubeless tyres...
  • thebenb
    thebenb wrote:

I have a set of Kinesis Crosslight V3 which, despite not being advertised as such, are tubeless ready.
    The V4 has just come out so the V3 can be picked up cheaply: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kinesis-crossli ... -wheelset/

Some people have commented that they had problems with at higher road pressures so might be worth bearing in mind in case you were planning on skinnier tubeless tyres...

No, the fatter the better.
    Tyres that is!
    I reckon 38s with guards will work fine.

Thanks, I'll check those out. Although the V4 are only a few quid more expensive.
    https://www.merlincycles.com/kinesis-cr ... 87507.html
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I've had a bit of a rubbing sensation while braking the last few days and in the wet this morning my front brake was making a god-awful noise. Looks like I might have a bit of scoring on one side of my front disc, so suspect I've worn through my first set of pads (in about 1,000 miles of commuting). I have some superstar organic pads, so think that will be my weekend project
  • seanorawe
    Yeam im the same, my pads are near done after 700 miles. Ive ordered some EBC gold sintered pads
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • NeXXus
    Uberbike are selling 4pairs of their pads SRAM for £30, worth a punt. MTB guys I know have rated their stuff highly
  • thebenb
    NeXXus wrote:
    Uberbike are selling 4pairs of their pads SRAM for £30, worth a punt. MTB guys I know have rated their stuff highly

Do you know which type I need for the Rival 1 hydraulic brakes?
  • NeXXus
    thebenb wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:

https://www.uberbikecomponents.com/view ... Brake-Pads
  • thebenb
    NeXXus wrote:
    thebenb wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:

https://www.uberbikecomponents.com/view ... Brake-Pads

Cheers!
  • simono5
    simono5 Posts: 42
    Hi everyone, had my London Road since the turn of the year and delighted with it so far. Nothing flash just bog standard.

Was going to go with the PX Pro Carbon but having through about my commute to work I felt something more robust was required and the London Road is perfect.

Enjoyed reading this thread and pleased its so active.

Tried to upload an image but hasn't worked.....will get one uploaded once I've worked it out :D