Planet X London Road

Comments

• lovely! Best bike purchase i've made in a while, although, my new job isn't letting me ride as much anymore. I am lucky if I manage a ride in the week.
  • Fine machine in wet weather

9QS8Zpo.jpg

And also in the dry

WGc4oK7.jpg

Blimey, I thought I had a lot of seatpost showing!
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    6ft3, long legs and spineless :) That's a 54cm frame :)
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • ryanshattered
    ryanshattered Posts: 177
    edited October 2015

Wow that's a small frame for your height! I'm only 6'1" and am riding a Large (56cm) with ~180mm of seat post (clamp to clamp), have just fitted a 120mm stem and it's a great fit...
  • NeXXus

Wow that's a small frame for your height! I'm only 6'1" and am riding a Large (56cm) with ~280mm of seat post (clamp to clamp), have just fitted a 120mm stem and it's a great fit...
    I've ridden every frame size up to 62cm and all of them, with the exception of a particular 56, gave me excrutiating back pain
  • pgmabley
    pgmabley Posts: 107
    Just bought one of these for my 14 year old son (women's one with narrow bars etc), in matt black, looking forward to seeing him enjoy it.

He's with Bicester Milennium Cycle Club and does road and cx so thought this would be an ideal one bike solution to replace his road and MTB as the garage is full of bikes already!
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    After a bit of time off the bike, just got round to fitting mudguards to my London Rd (SKS longblades). What a palaver! Hate doing mudgurads at the best of time but these were a real pain. On the rear one, for the brake bridge fitting (or what would be the brake bridge normally) I just ended up drilling a hole in the guard and putting a screw directly through that into the bridge as the hole was aligned that way so the normal clip was no use. Has anyone found a neater way of doing it?
  • NeXXus
    I fixed the bridge to the bike, bent it , then folded the legs around the guard. Drills and bodges? Nah :)
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    When I fitted my SKS guards I took one look at the brake bridge and went straight for the drill. It's very neat once it's done.
  • pgmabley
    pgmabley Posts: 107
    When I fitted my SKS guards I took one look at the brake bridge and went straight for the drill. It's very neat once it's done.

Exactly what I did, very neat actually.
  • Is anyone using the 35c tyres that come as standard with the PXLR? Vittoria voyager I believe they are called. Im having a nightmare with tiny bits of broken glass penetrating through and blowing my tubes. They don't seem to very puncture proof.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Is anyone using the 35c tyres that come as standard with the PXLR? Vittoria voyager I believe they are called. Im having a nightmare with tiny bits of broken glass penetrating through and blowing my tubes. They don't seem to very puncture proof.

Vittoria randonneur? They were the only vittoria option when I specced mine and that's what I opted for. Don't like them too much, don't seem that grippy especially in the wet but not suffered any punctures as yet
  • Is anyone using the 35c tyres that come as standard with the PXLR? Vittoria voyager I believe they are called. Im having a nightmare with tiny bits of broken glass penetrating through and blowing my tubes. They don't seem to very puncture proof.

Vittoria randonneur? They were the only vittoria option when I specced mine and that's what I opted for. Don't like them too much, don't seem that grippy especially in the wet but not suffered any punctures as yet

I got the vittoria voyager hyper folding tyres. They are also very slippery in wet. Ill be changing them
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • staffo
    staffo Posts: 82
    Yes I'm suffering a ridiculous amount of punctures on my voyagers too. They were fantastic up until a month or so ago but think I'm going to have to switch to something more robust for the winter.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    According to my build list I have 37C Continental Sport Contacts on mine. On tarmac grip has been excellent (commuting daily in all conditions since I got it in June) and my only flat so far was due to the bike coming with a tube on the front wheel with a faulty valve. The bike does feel a bit sluggish to accelerate, and I've put part of that down to the tyres being heavy. I was considering replacing them with hyper voyagers having read good things about them, but now I'm thinking that might not be such a good idea.

Anyone using tyres they're actually happy with?
  • According to my build list I have 37C Continental Sport Contacts on mine. On tarmac grip has been excellent (commuting daily in all conditions since I got it in June) and my only flat so far was due to the bike coming with a tube on the front wheel with a faulty valve. The bike does feel a bit sluggish to accelerate, and I've put part of that down to the tyres being heavy. I was considering replacing them with hyper voyagers having read good things about them, but now I'm thinking that might not be such a good idea.

That's the thing, all the reviews I read on the voyagers are good. I must have just been really unlucky. However, they to are sluggish to accelerate, and slow on corners.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • jp1970
    jp1970 Posts: 134
    I've just replaced the front disc caliper on my Planet X London Road with TRP Spyres.

Have managed to set up without any major problems (not withstanding a proper test ride tomorrow), but having given' them a final visual check the caliper looks really close to the wheel spokes .. About 3-4 mm.

I haven't used the PM or IM mounting adapters that have been supplied as they don't fit. I've also googled some images of London road with spyres they don't have the mounting adapters either.

The previous calipers were bottom of the range shimino BR517.

Should they be this close to the spokes ?
    (I've also posted this query in the workshop section)
    Thanks
  • NeXXus
    Perfectly normal
  • All- please keep an eye out for this bike on classified sites in your local area. I'm the OP, and the bike was nicked from my house last week.
  • All- please keep an eye out for this bike on classified sites in your local area. I'm the OP, and the bike was nicked from my house last week.

No way mate! Scumbags, ill keep an eye out on gumtree and ebay.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • staffo
    staffo Posts: 82
    All- please keep an eye out for this bike on classified sites in your local area. I'm the OP, and the bike was nicked from my house last week.

Sorry to hear that, hope it turns up soon. Might be worth registering it here https://stolen-bikes.co.uk and setting up an alert.
  • Sorry if this sounds like a daft question. Do ordinary rim braked wheels fit on the London Road?

I'm thinking of setting up a bike which, at least initially will be used on the turbo only - so no need for brakes! - but perhaps next winter could be used as a disc braked winter bike.
  • NeXXus
    No. Disc wheela have a wider hub
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Any news of this being recovered? Thieving scum.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Any news of this being recovered? Thieving scum.

Nothing yet. I've been scouring eBay and Gumtree on a daily basis, but i've not had any luck as of yet. Once i'm back in the UK (i'm in Japan currently) i'll be popping to the police station to see whether they've had it turned in. Hopefully Wednesday i'll know more.

Thanks for keeping an eye out guys. I'm moving to Japan in September for University, and really wanted to bring the bike because cyclocross is very popular in Kyoto, where I will be living. This would have been a perfect do it all bike for me there, being able to use panniers and such.
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    ^ Sorry to hear about the bike. Gits!

I finally decided on the London Road SRAM Rival build, mainly as a more functional Winter trainer to replace my PX Pro Carbon, but also with a view to using it for a US Pacific Coast bike tour next year. Was going to get a black one on account of limy green just being a tad too loud for my liking, but then saw that they've got blue as well. That'll do. Ordered with the silver chromoplastic mudguards, a time-consuming job to get them fitted but ultimately pretty straightforward with no drilling involved. (The nice man in the local DIY shop did some hacksawing on the front stays.)

Had a nice 27 mile test ride on the damp roads of Kent this morning and I'm very happy with it. Gears and brakes seem to be perfectly set up (no squealing or rattling) and the "Summer" bike has SRAM Force so the gears are nice and familiar.

10363563_10153839543714595_6076767839354059537_n.jpg?oh=f656c478123829a6dac611b30644ca2b&oe=56D932D5

Anyone know if the Hutchinson Top Slick 32c are any good? They feel OK, so I'll probably keep them on if they stay p******e free, and the only other likely swap will be my Fizik Arione which I know I get on with for long rides.
  • I have the PXLR in the green colour , have a couple of chips I want to touch up, anyone know the official colour code and or where I can get some.
    All the best
    ILG
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Second one on it's way in a few days from Planet X for the bargain price of £200, this time a Zesty Lime which will have the 105 kit from my Forme transfered to it.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    According to my build list I have 37C Continental Sport Contacts on mine. On tarmac grip has been excellent (commuting daily in all conditions since I got it in June) and my only flat so far was due to the bike coming with a tube on the front wheel with a faulty valve. The bike does feel a bit sluggish to accelerate, and I've put part of that down to the tyres being heavy. I was considering replacing them with hyper voyagers having read good things about them, but now I'm thinking that might not be such a good idea.

Hi Graeme

I'm running Michelin Pro4 Endurance 28's and I'm well impressed with them. 85psi front and 95psi rear on Archetype rims and they are smooth and free running. I'm pushing 90kg - hence the need for these pressures. A lighter rider could drop things down a bit. No sign of p*n*t*r*s yet.

Ordered my PX LR back in September and have been delighted with it so far. Swapped out the original Fulcrum Wheelset and Avid BB7's for my Moonglu handbuilts (Hope Pro2 Evo hubs and Archetype rims) and TRP Spyres from a previous build. Also switched the saddle for my Fizik Arione. Quick pic below of the final set up:-

21320230600_9486fdca1c_c.jpg

Before anyone gets the flaming urge - I need the flipped stem for my ageing bones
  • Hi all, just got the PX LR Rival for £640!! Will post back how I feel about it soon as this thread came in very handy for me when choosing which bike I wanted.