Planet X London Road

Comments

• tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Is that the same silver/light blue frame that was on the tiagra build earlier this year for £650? Before they brought the better SRAM spec down to close to that (about 2 days before or I would have gone for black framed SRAM kit).

Just wondering because I got the bike set up and the seat was perfect for me (a fluke from the mechanics at PX) and now I am starting to think it has slipped. I was kind of thinking the seat was never right and I have been riding at this seat level all along but I have noticed a change in the seat position. Going to have to move the seat up and mark it to see if the thing is slipping.
  • tangled_metal
    I have one question to you LR owners, what type of bike would you say the PX LR is? Is it a gravel bike? An endurance bike?

I have been asked a few times what sort of bike it is and I can't really place it myself. It is not a CX bike and it is not an endurance road bike (those wheels are too wide for purely road use). I just can not place the category it fits into.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I have one question to you LR owners, what type of bike would you say the PX LR is? Is it a gravel bike? An endurance bike?

I have been asked a few times what sort of bike it is and I can't really place it myself. It is not a CX bike and it is not an endurance road bike (those wheels are too wide for purely road use). I just can not place the category it fits into.

That's the point of it. It's a do it all bike.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • tangled_metal
    Hmmm! I don't think there is such a thing. Well not without making changes to do different things better. For example change tyres and or wheels to get a more road oriented bike then change back to go off road. It is not really a good off road bike other than gravel and easy off road routes, Doubt I would want to take it onto a trail route myself. I see it as a mud plugger though and from experience the Areos tyres are not good on gravel, I took a long time to get the gravel out of my knee after finding that out.

TBH I use mine for commuting, road and some easy off road routes. Basically only on stuff I am happy to drag my son in his trailer on. Don't get me wrong I do like it and think it a decent bike just not a do it all bike. It is a compromise though.
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 950
    My LR now has to go back to Planet X. The seatpost kept slipping, so they want it back as they claim that they have had a dodgy batch of frames being slightly too big. They are going to swap the frame
    There was a thread on Single Track World where a lot of people bought the cheap blue/silver framsets and a number of them had this problem. Mine seems to have been ok, although it is loose enough that if I undo the seat clamp it drops straight into the frame, and I've never had a bike where that happens before.

Look into it, that's how mine started, I thought it was because they put so much grease on the post. But after 2 weeks, it kept slipping mid ride.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854

Do it all and do it well kinda bike :)
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,392
    Hmmm! I don't think there is such a thing. Well not without making changes to do different things better. For example change tyres and or wheels to get a more road oriented bike then change back to go off road. It is not really a good off road bike other than gravel and easy off road routes, Doubt I would want to take it onto a trail route myself. I see it as a mud plugger though and from experience the Areos tyres are not good on gravel, I took a long time to get the gravel out of my knee after finding that out.

TBH I use mine for commuting, road and some easy off road routes. Basically only on stuff I am happy to drag my son in his trailer on. Don't get me wrong I do like it and think it a decent bike just not a do it all bike. It is a compromise though.

No do it all bike is ever going to avoid compromises, it's not possible.

Seems perfectly reasonable that with this bike plus 2 sets of tyres/wheels you could have most bases covered to a decent level.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    I use mine for racing cross and it does a great job, the only downside is the sloping top tube makes shouldering slightly more difficult, at my level though a few seconds here and there makes no difference. I've also taken it around mtb trails and its fine on the smoother stuff. Obviously for really rough stuff its out of its depth but thats why I have mountain bikes....

If I could only own 1 bike it would be the LR though as its perfectly capable on the road too, just swap wheels.

My seatpost is also on the slack side, tightened it up more and hasn't slipped despite jumping back onto it several times during cross races, I'm not worried about it.
  • rob13
    rob13 Posts: 430
    I'm looking at one these to buy as a frameset only and to build it up with Shimano kit.

I currently have a Supersix and a Kinesis Racelight T2. I'm thinking of selling the Racelight as its a bit too racey for what I'm after. The frame is only a 52 and I'm 5'8. It's probably a little bit too stretched out as theyre long in the top tube. It has full guards and 25mm tyres on it with 105/Tiagra kit on it.
    I like the look of the London road. I go camping in a VW camper quite a lot and also tow a trailer with my little girl in the back. I could use the Racelight but its not suited on gravel. Alternatively I have to use my MTB for this purpose. This means that at times when I fancy a quick road blast when wife and little one are just kicking about, ive only got the MTB with me. This seems like something which could do both. I'd look to spec it with compact gearing, 105 brifters and some mechanical disc brakes. Don't think there are many donor part to transfer from the Racelight though.

Is it a good enough road bike without it being compromised?
  • seanorawe
    I'm looking at one these to buy as a frameset only and to build it up with Shimano kit.

I currently have a Supersix and a Kinesis Racelight T2. I'm thinking of selling the Racelight as its a bit too racey for what I'm after. The frame is only a 52 and I'm 5'8. It's probably a little bit too stretched out as theyre long in the top tube. It has full guards and 25mm tyres on it with 105/Tiagra kit on it.
    I like the look of the London road. I go camping in a VW camper quite a lot and also tow a trailer with my little girl in the back. I could use the Racelight but its not suited on gravel. Alternatively I have to use my MTB for this purpose. This means that at times when I fancy a quick road blast when wife and little one are just kicking about, ive only got the MTB with me. This seems like something which could do both. I'd look to spec it with compact gearing, 105 brifters and some mechanical disc brakes. Don't think there are many donor part to transfer from the Racelight though.

I have 28mm tyres on mine, and it works perfect as a road bike. When I know ill be using a lot of tow path and gravel or through some mud, I change the tyres to the 37mm the bike came with. I got the standard Planet x cx disc wheels with mine, as they have 32 spokes on them. Changing tyres on these wheels is effortless.

What I have noticed with the bike, is off the mark its a little bit sluggish. Once you get it going its fine, and it handles really well. I also find it to be a lot stiffer than my Bianchi via nirone.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • tangled_metal
    I've towed a Burley d-lite trailer with my child inn plus kit. Took it off road without issue but it mostly gets used on roads. I find it's great with the only thing making me slower than when I used to ride my road bike is my lack of fitness these days. We took it on gravel right through to rocky trail and it worked well. In fact the limiting factor was the child in the trailer being bounced too much. That and the gears are too high for towing a trailer and off road hills. It'll handle a wide range of terrain I think even with the 70x37 tyres that it came with the
  • NeXXus

I have 28mm tyres on mine, and it works perfect as a road bike. When I know ill be using a lot of tow path and gravel or through some mud, I change the tyres to the 37mm the bike came with. I got the standard Planet x cx disc wheels with mine, as they have 32 spokes on them. Changing tyres on these wheels is effortless.

What I have noticed with the bike, is off the mark its a little bit sluggish. Once you get it going its fine, and it handles really well. I also find it to be a lot stiffer than my Bianchi via nirone.
    Which rims did you end up with? Mine are the WTB tubeless ready jobs and I'm plotting to drop tyres down to 28, if not 26
  • NeXXus
    Talk mudguards to me :) Thinking SKS Longboard as I've had them on another bike(but cut the stays so a new set required)
  • Talk mudguards to me :) Thinking SKS Longboard as I've had them on another bike(but cut the stays so a new set required)

You can just buy a new set of stays and use your existing guards.

I've got the standard length Chromoplastics with mudflap on the front and the coverage is fine so if you are buying a new set I would say longboard version is unnecessary
  • NeXXus
    Talk mudguards to me :) Thinking SKS Longboard as I've had them on another bike(but cut the stays so a new set required)

You can just buy a new set of stays and use your existing guards.

I've got the standard length Chromoplastics with mudflap on the front and the coverage is fine so if you are buying a new set I would say longboard version is unnecessary
    The people behind will thank me :)
  • seanorawe

Which rims did you end up with? Mine are the WTB tubeless ready jobs and I'm plotting to drop tyres down to 28, if not 26

Planet x have out on the receipt Planet X CX Disc Wheels, but I cant font them on the internet anywhere, so I have no idea how wide they are. 28 tyres go on them no problem, Im not sure about 26 though, simply because I have never tried them.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • NeXXus

Planet x have out on the receipt Planet X CX Disc Wheels, but I cant font them on the internet anywhere, so I have no idea how wide they are. 28 tyres go on them no problem, Im not sure about 26 though, simply because I have never tried them.
    I'll give it a go, can't hurt too much
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Mine is virtually built up as a single speed with 50x17 or 50x18 gearing, Hy:Rd doing the stop thing and 105 chainset doing the go thing. With rack and guards it's tipping the scales at under 10kg. Still got to take the 32c tyre off the rear wheel and put a Conti 4Seasons 25c on it and finish the guards and add pedals and bar tape for the obligatory photo shoot.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redvee
    Finally put all the bits I had on the frame in the right places, I have cut the mudguard stays down and dropped the seatpost, just need to wrap the bars. Inner tube on forks and seat stays are for the sheffield stands in work

kwrztoBdv3g8Xdtf-3W2b931ZBkPwcgSZvF8LYQ8ISc?size=1280x960&size_mode=2

Basic Spec:

Deore XT 785 wheels
    105 chainset with 50t ring
    18t PX sprocket, option of 17t and no need to alter chain length, just needs a 3mm allen key.
    Hy:Rd callipers
    Jagwire cables
    Mercx stem
    All in weight as pictured 10.8kg
  • seanorawe
    Finally put all the bits I had on the frame in the right places, I have cut the mudguard stays down and dropped the seatpost, just need to wrap the bars. Inner tube on forks and seat stays are for the sheffield stands in work

Basic Spec:

Deore XT 785 wheels
    18t PX sprocket, option of 17t and no need to alter chain length, just needs a 3mm allen key.
    Jagwire cables
    Mercx stem

Image doesn't work
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • redvee

Image doesn't work

Does for me, for those that it doesn't, a clickable thumbnail.

b4c945432261997.jpg
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788

Basic Spec:

Deore XT 785 wheels
    Jagwire cables
    Mercx stem
    Seems heavy, Planet X quote 9.8kg. I know you've a rack and mudguards but with no gears I'd have thought it would have equalled out.
  • Finally put all the bits I had on the frame in the right places, I have cut the mudguard stays down and dropped the seatpost, just need to wrap the bars. Inner tube on forks and seat stays are for the sheffield stands in work

Basic Spec:

Deore XT 785 wheels
    Jagwire cables
    Mercx stem
    Seems heavy, Planet X quote 9.8kg. I know you've a rack and mudguards but with no gears I'd have thought it would have equalled out.

Can't see the picture but he has MTB wheels, so I assume MTB tyres too. Also, PX weight is without pedals. That could account for a chunk of weight... Rack and guards will be best part of a kilo
  • redvee
    29er wheels so. Conti tyres, built on price not weight. I'm happy with the result.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    29er wheels so. Conti tyres, built on price not weight. I'm happy with the result.
    it was interest, not critisism! Very nice bike.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Got that n+1 itch a week or so back (in reality it will eventually turn into an "n" as SWMBO decrees that I can't ride 2 bikes at once so if a new one appears, the old one must be sacrificed)

Been riding a Genesis Equilibrium Disc frameset that I built up back at the beginning of the year with 105 5800 and some rather tasty handbuilts from Moonglu (Hope Pro2 Evo hubs with Archetype rims) and TRP Spyre mechanical disc brakes

16738172600_2d35030369_c.jpg

Have really enjoyed riding the Equilibrium but the frame was the 2014 iteration which had the steel forks rather than the carbon forks of later models. For that reason the total weight was a bit on the high side pushing the scales at close to 11kg for the complete build.

So I rationalised that I'd like to stick with the disc theme but look for something that might work out a bit lighter without spending megabucks. Also part of the thought process was an interest in switching to SRAM after many years riding Campag initially then various versions of Shimano.

So this morning I took a quick spin up the M1 to the Planet X Sheffield/Rotherham outlet and had a mooch around. Eventual outcome was an order placed for a Planet X London Road in Stealth Black (toyed with the Zesty Lime option but decided it was a bit too radical for my taste). Groupset will be the Rival 22 with the Avid BB7 mechanical discs and Fulcrum Racing Sport Disc wheels.

Likely build and delivery by the end of next week hopefully

My plan is to switch my handbuilts over to the new frame and sell off the Fulcrum Disc wheels. I'll check out the Avid BB7's to see how they compare with the TRP Spyres on my Equilibrium which I have found to be excellent. If they are found wanting the Avids will also go and be replaced with the Spyres or I might even upgrade to some TRP Hy/Rd's but that's a bit blue sky ATM.

Will post some pics of the new machine when it arrives.

The Equilibrium split will follow fairly swiftly after the arrival of the Planet X so if anyone is after any bits (frameset, groupset etc) then drop me a PM and I will keep them updated. Full spec of the Equilibrium was posted here FYI

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13021822&p=19515185&hilit=Genesis+Equilibrium#p19515185
  • Got that n+1 itch a week or so back (in reality it will eventually turn into an "n" as SWMBO decrees that I can't ride 2 bikes at once so if a new one appears, the old one must be sacrificed)

Been riding a Genesis Equilibrium Disc frameset that I built up back at the beginning of the year with 105 5800 and some rather tasty handbuilts from Moonglu (Hope Pro2 Evo hubs with Archetype rims) and TRP Spyre mechanical disc brakes

16738172600_2d35030369_c.jpg

Have really enjoyed riding the Equilibrium but the frame was the 2014 iteration which had the steel forks rather than the carbon forks of later models. For that reason the total weight was a bit on the high side pushing the scales at close to 11kg for the complete build.

So I rationalised that I'd like to stick with the disc theme but look for something that might work out a bit lighter without spending megabucks. Also part of the thought process was an interest in switching to SRAM after many years riding Campag initially then various versions of Shimano.

So this morning I took a quick spin up the M1 to the Planet X Sheffield/Rotherham outlet and had a mooch around. Eventual outcome was an order placed for a Planet X London Road in Stealth Black (toyed with the Zesty Lime option but decided it was a bit too radical for my taste). Groupset will be the Rival 22 with the Avid BB7 mechanical discs and Fulcrum Racing Sport Disc wheels.

Likely build and delivery by the end of next week hopefully

My plan is to switch my handbuilts over to the new frame and sell off the Fulcrum Disc wheels. I'll check out the Avid BB7's to see how they compare with the TRP Spyres on my Equilibrium which I have found to be excellent. If they are found wanting the Avids will also go and be replaced with the Spyres or I might even upgrade to some TRP Hy/Rd's but that's a bit blue sky ATM.

Will post some pics of the new machine when it arrives.

The Equilibrium split will follow fairly swiftly after the arrival of the Planet X so if anyone is after any bits (frameset, groupset etc) then drop me a PM and I will keep them updated. Full spec of the Equilibrium was posted here FYI

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13021822&p=19515185&hilit=Genesis+Equilibrium#p19515185

I have the exact same bike, except I asked Planet x to give me a set of 32 spoke wheels instead of the fulcrum wheels. Handbuilts will be my next purchase, but the 32 spoke wheels was a no brainer for the riding ill be doing. The bike is very stealth, and I love that about it. Its impossible to see the Planet X brand when the bike is moving. The brakes I really do like, they are very responsive. I did struggle to get them perfect after I adjusted the reach of the shifters, but my bike had to go back to Planet X anyway and they fixed that for me. I double wrapped the bars as I always do, and put 28mm tyres on. As for changing to Sram, I have to say its the best decision I ever made. The Rival shifters are small and feel great on the hoods, and gear changes are very smooth. I also need to post some images of mine. Good luck with it.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    [/quote]
    I have the exact same bike, except I asked Planet x to give me a set of 32 spoke wheels instead of the fulcrum wheels. Handbuilts will be my next purchase, but the 32 spoke wheels was a no brainer for the riding ill be doing. The bike is very stealth, and I love that about it. Its impossible to see the Planet X brand when the bike is moving. The brakes I really do like, they are very responsive. I did struggle to get them perfect after I adjusted the reach of the shifters, but my bike had to go back to Planet X anyway and they fixed that for me. I double wrapped the bars as I always do, and put 28mm tyres on. As for changing to Sram, I have to say its the best decision I ever made. The Rival shifters are small and feel great on the hoods, and gear changes are very smooth. I also need to post some images of mine. Good luck with it.[/quote]

Yes as you can see from the spec, my Moonglu wheels are 32F/32R. Opted for the higher spoke count due to my not inconsiderable bulk at around 90kg - hoping to reduce over time. The wheels have been excellent so they will be staying. I specced the Fulcrum wheels on the build as I thought they might be easier to move on than the other option offered. Just ordered some Michelin Pro4 Endurance in 28mm and these will be going on to repace the 25 Pro4 SC's I have at the moment
  • Hey guys, can't say I've seen any of these on here before. I just took delivery of a new Planet X London Road. The plan is to use it with mudguards during the week so that I can cycle to and from work quickly and comfortably, and when i'm feeling adventurous take the mud guards off and cycle around the local bridleways a la cyclocross!

Looking forward to its maiden voyage tomorrow, got a nice 30km on and offroad route planned for it. She's got disc brakes, mudguard mounts, rack mounts, a fairly decent spec and is in a pretty nice colour.

DSC02740_zpsb104840a.jpg
  • NeXXus
    Fine machine in wet weather

9QS8Zpo.jpg

And also in the dry

WGc4oK7.jpg