Planet X London Road

Comments

• simono5
    simono5 Posts: 42
    2a4piti.jpg

Worked it out LOL. Just a bog standard London Road but still love it.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Nothing wrong with a standard LR but tasteful improvements are easy enough.

WGc4oK7.jpg
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • simono5
    Interesting that some bikes seem to have HEX bolts in the forks when others have them missing. Some seem to have used the ones in the seatstay. Mine didn't come with any which I found a bit disappointing. I bought some from ebay which were next to nothing.

Size M5 x16mm from here;
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201271005889?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=500469286601&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'd recommend not searching for bike specific HEX bolts as it looks they're premium priced.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    simono5 wrote:
    Interesting that some bikes seem to have HEX bolts in the forks when others have them missing. Some seem to have used the ones in the seatstay. Mine didn't come with any which I found a bit disappointing. I bought some from ebay which were next to nothing.

Size M5 x16mm from here;
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201271005889?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=500469286601&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Even though I could scrape together enough bolts for the frame I bought new stainless so they all matched but went for A2 Stainless Steel Socket Allen Cap Head Hex Screw in 20mm for guards, rack and bottle bosses and 40mm for rear guard at the BB shell and brake bridge.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    Mine arrived last week when I was away with work, so this morning was my first ride/commute on it. I spent the weekend getting the mudguards on and admiring it in the lounge :lol:
    Got to say I'm very happy!! Although it'll take a bit of getting used to the position as its my first road bike and I'm still not sure I've got everything adjusted right (stopped twice to raise the saddle on the way to work).
    Quick photo before leaving this morning:
    24518992331_079abc1825.jpg
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 950
    BigMonka wrote:
    Mine arrived last week when I was away with work, so this morning was my first ride/commute on it. I spent the weekend getting the mudguards on and admiring it in the lounge :lol:
    Got to say I'm very happy!! Although it'll take a bit of getting used to the position as its my first road bike and I'm still not sure I've got everything adjusted right (stopped twice to raise the saddle on the way to work).
    Quick photo before leaving this morning:
    24518992331_079abc1825.jpg

Saddle seems to be pointed up a tad too much. (unless you like it that way) Your legs must be pretty small too lol. Im cursed with long legs, short arms, and sporadic flexibility.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • seanorawe

Enjoyed reading this thread and pleased its so active.

This thread will be inducted in to the forum hall of fame one day
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • bigmonka
    seanorawe wrote:
    Saddle seems to be pointed up a tad too much. (unless you like it that way) Your legs must be pretty small too lol. Im cursed with long legs, short arms, and sporadic flexibility.
    Lol, I put it up by probably a couple of inches on my way to work so my legs aren't stupidly short! Although I confess I'm not the tallest too. Going by the PX website I was borderline between a small and medium frame, but I'm really glad I went with medium as even that feels a bit cramped - I must be the opposite body type to you.

Thanks for spotting the saddle angle, I hadn't noticed and it wasn't intentional!
  • Bullet1
    Bullet1 Posts: 161
    Took mine out on its first outing - really pleased with it as my winter bike.

The 37mm Continental tyres are a great smooth ride and still fairly quick. Really please with the look and the ride of the fulcrum wheels!

How are folks getting on with the disc brakes?. My first experience of discs - Eventually managed to get them set up ok but riding round the block stopping power was poor and made an awful noise. Rode to straight my nearest hill (a 5-6 minute climb) and down twice. Stopping power now really good but still getting some squeakage from the rear brake.

Out of interest - How long do pad last? (how long is a piece of string!!)
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Replaced my front pads with Superstar Organic pads (now wondering whether they're a suitable pad for the riding I do). Bedded them in on the hill near my house, all seemed pretty straight forwards. Little bit of squealing on the way to work this morning, but seemed to subside before I got to the office. Old pads did about 1060 miles of commuting. One of the pads was worn down to the point that the retention spring bit was about to start making contact with the disc at the front, so I maybe left it a couple of commutes too late to change them. Will have to keep a closer eye on that next time.

While giving the bike a bit of a clean I spotted what I thought was a stone/flint in my tyres. Failed to dig it out with my finger nail, so took some needle nosed pliers to it and retrieved the leg of a metal staple. Amazed it hadn't punctured my tyres. Really have been quite impressed with the Continental Sport Contacts from a grip a puncture protection perspective even if they do weigh a tonne.
  • graeme_s-2
    Bullet1 wrote:
    Out of interest - How long do pad last? (how long is a piece of string!!)
    Ha! Our posts crossed, but there's some information on pad wear for you. My PXLR has the Rival 22 Hydraulic discs, so the info only relates to those, not the mechanical discs.
  • bigmonka
    Does anyone else find the frame quite compact? I had a bit of trouble with toe overlap this morning and my heal is pretty close to the bend in the chainstay.
    I've noticed that it doesn't actually say the frame size anywhere so I'm just assuming they sent me the medium size frame I asked for!
  • graeme_s-2
    I have a little toe overlap with my front guard, but then I have size 47 feet. It nearly caught me out in the first couple of weeks riding it, but I've been fine ever since. Not sure how close my heel is on the chain stay, but it's never hit it.
  • BigMonka wrote:
    Does anyone else find the frame quite compact? I had a bit of trouble with toe overlap this morning and my heal is pretty close to the bend in the chainstay.
    I've noticed that it doesn't actually say the frame size anywhere so I'm just assuming they sent me the medium size frame I asked for!

Yes, I get a bit of toe overlap with the front mudguard on my Large frame. It doesn't bother me now as I've developed a natural awareness of where my feet are when manoeuvering at slow speeds.
  • thebenb
    thebenb Posts: 10
    I always have to contend with toe overlap, as I like to get the longer cranks.
    You soon learn to keep your outside foot out of the way when sharp turning
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Toe overlap seems to be a feature of the bike when running guards, I get it too on my single speed LR. The Zesty frame took it's first steps to becoming a bike with the crown race being fitted to the forks by RTFS for £5, just need a few more spacers for the forks.

vcSP0q1Uko-9xhLr295BtqWPKOvDyVp2ZcS7NENWo4Q?size=1280x960&size_mode=3
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Bullet1
    Bullet1 Posts: 161
    I found the frame quite compact too. I measured up from the online frame dimensions versus my summer bike before purchasing and after my first ride feel the reach is about an inch short of where it needs to be.....and that's with a 120mm stem. Next steps to move the saddle back a fraction to see if it makes much of a difference.

If not may have to go to a 130mm stem!
  • Bullet1 wrote:
    I found the frame quite compact too. I measured up from the online frame dimensions versus my summer bike before purchasing and after my first ride feel the reach is about an inch short of where it needs to be.....and that's with a 120mm stem. Next steps to move the saddle back a fraction to see if it makes much of a difference.

If not may have to go to a 130mm stem!
    Yes, I'm running a 120mm stem too but have also found that the saddle fore/aft adjustment is not quite sufficient for me to get KOPS. I think a seatpost with some set back would help as the stock one is totally in line. I am 6'1" with long arms and legs so I ummed and ahed about whether to get L or XL when I was choosing. In the end I think I made the right choice with the L as it feels very good with the 120mm stem and a decent amount of saddle to bar drop.
  • seanorawe
    My frame is a large, im 5ft 11. It felt compact at first, and I had some knee pain, but I have moved the saddle back a bit and everything is now fine. I should have really got a 90mm stem but I seem to have gotten used to the 100mm
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • NeXXus
    I'd never considered this but I've had some knee issues (besides needing a new one) and began toying with setback tonight. From my reference point the saddle was 5mm back, it's now about 7.5mm and could probably manage 10mm easily.

The minute adjustment tonight, substantially relieved my niggle. For reference, I had seatposts on other bikes ranging from 12 to 25mm layback
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    Interesting about the geometry. I ordered a Medium based on having a Medium size PX Pro Carbon road bike. Set up the LR so that it had the same saddle height and reach as the Pro Carbon, only to remind myself that the Pro Carbon had a 100m stem, compared to the 110mm I ordered for the LR. So that was lucky. :)
  • seanorawe
    NeXXus wrote:
    I'd never considered this but I've had some knee issues (besides needing a new one) and began toying with setback tonight. From my reference point the saddle was 5mm back, it's now about 7.5mm and could probably manage 10mm easily.

The minute adjustment tonight, substantially relieved my niggle. For reference, I had seatposts on other bikes ranging from 12 to 25mm layback

It's a small change that really can work for a lot of people. I would advise to set your saddle back a little bit at a time until the niggle disappears. If that doesn't work. Try something else
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • NeXXus
    seanorawe wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:

It's a small change that really can work for a lot of people. I would advise to set your saddle back a little bit at a time until the niggle disappears. If that doesn't work. Try something else
    That's the plan, then get my RTD80 setup somewhere in the same ballpark :D It'll be summer soon and I haven't ridden it yet :|
  • simono5
    PhilPub wrote:
    Interesting about the geometry. I ordered a Medium based on having a Medium size PX Pro Carbon road bike. Set up the LR so that it had the same saddle height and reach as the Pro Carbon, only to remind myself that the Pro Carbon had a 100m stem, compared to the 110mm I ordered for the LR. So that was lucky. :)
    I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the difference between the bikes. I chose the LR over the PC.

I'll sound like a real novice (I am) but how much quicker is the PC?
  • NeXXus
    simono5 wrote:
    PhilPub wrote:
    I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the difference between the bikes. I chose the LR over the PC.

Very much depends on the rider :)
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    simono5 wrote:
    PhilPub wrote:

You could get a sort of mash up of the two by considering the PX Pro Carbon XLS. Carbon frameset with disc capability.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXXLSRIV ... cross-bike

It is aimed a bit more at the CX fraternity with the 46/36 chainset but you can specify a 50/34 in the build options.

Looks rather nice in the Flanders livery as exemplified by one of our forum members

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13010032
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    simono5 wrote:

I've only got 376 miles worth of data to go on for the LR, but I reckon about 1mph! :) The extra weight is certainly noticeable on hills, and I'm pretty sure the geometry (especially longer wheelbase) makes me less inclined to get out of the saddle to smash up short climbs, so it sort of invites a more leisurely riding style, but there's not that much in it in the grand scheme of things.

At one extreme, I used the PC (with clip-on aero bars) for the odd duathlon. The LR is unsuitable for this. (Never did any proper road racing though; too scary!) At the other extreme I'll be loading the LR with rack and panniers and touring for a couple of weeks. I wouldn't dream of using the PC for this. Somewhere in the middle is 95% of my bike riding: out and back training/leisure rides around London/Kent in all weathers, and the odd bit of A-to-B travelling. So far I've found such riding to be more pleasurable on the LR, even if my speed has suffered very slightly.

Hope this helps!
  • graeme_s-2
    I took my LR out of the garage this morning and propped it against the wheelie bins on my drive, as I do every morning. As I went back to close the garage door there was an extra strong gust of wind and a loud clatter :(.

Scuffed bar tape and a chip out of the paint on one of the levers (if I'm honest, every bike I've ever owned accumulates these eventually). Could have been worse, it landed drive side down but shifting seems fine.
  • bigmonka
      Graeme_S wrote:
      I took my LR out of the garage this morning and propped it against the wheelie bins on my drive, as I do every morning. As I went back to close the garage door there was an extra strong gust of wind and a loud clatter :(.

Scuffed bar tape and a chip out of the paint on one of the levers (if I'm honest, every bike I've ever owned accumulates these eventually). Could have been worse, it landed drive side down but shifting seems fine.
      Gutted Graeme, sorry to hear that!
      I only got about half a mile from home on my commute this morning when I found that I couldn't keep a straight line on the road with the gusts of wind - which when you've got cars overtaking at 60mph is a bit nerve racking. So for the first time in a good few years I went home and got the bus instead :oops:
      Feel a bit ashamed (and annoyed as the bus is now over £5 for a return!!) but at least I'm still alive to be annoyed!
    • seanorawe
      That's nothing. I tried to give my mate a slight push up a hill and lost control. Left shifter is badly scuffed and also the qr skewer. Every bike I've ever owned gets a scuffed shifter. As for the bar tape. Stock up on some cheap non sticky stuff from Aliexpress. 80p per roll i paid and it's no different than other bar tape I've used
      Cube Attain SL Disc
      Giant CRS 2.0