The Championship (mainly The Barcodes) thread

Comments

• motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    Guess I'm the only unhappy fan on here.

:(

By about this stage you are where you deserve to be. I like the muff doing well, don't mind boro and we like wolves' fans at the mo.

SDW, TB made a wrong call. Hyppia is the next Tony Adams; world class CB but not a manager. Enjoy your 3 points next week. Are you coming to the return fixture?
  • After the performance of the last couple of games, our confidence should have improved. However, historically you are one of our "bogey" teams, so wouldn't surprise me if you get back to winning ways against us.
    Certainly hoping to make the return match, I couldn't get tickets for the away end two years ago. If I can't get tickets for the away end this year, I may well go in the home section with a mate who is a Brighton supporter.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    That is true, but the first season will always be a consolidation. You get a load of money for just being in the Prem, plus increased tickets and merchandise. You can drop back down with a very tidy profit.

We would probably still be in the Premier League had Steve Gibson got a decent replacement for McLaren. We should never have given Southgate a sniff of being boss. After that it was an downward spiral I think if we get back up we can stay up. We are a lot bigger than some of the teams still hanging around the lower half of the league right now.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    That is true, but the first season will always be a consolidation. You get a load of money for just being in the Prem, plus increased tickets and merchandise. You can drop back down with a very tidy profit.

We would probably still be in the Premier League had Steve Gibson got a decent replacement for McLaren. We should never have given Southgate a sniff of being boss. After that it was an downward spiral I think if we get back up we can stay up. We are a lot bigger than some of the teams still hanging around the lower half of the league right now.
    ^^^
    This.

First time in a long time I am feeling optimistic about Boro. Watching the performance against Derby, we are definitely in with a good shout for one of the automatic promo slots. Just a pity the Riverside was still half empty despite the revival - maybe it need PL footy to fill it again?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    A disappointing first 30 mins defensive performance by the Cherries opened the door for Liverpool. Otherwise, I think that if our finishing had been sharper it would have been a very close run game.
    Interestly my father in law read in the Telegraph that Liverpool may be the club that Eddie Howe will manage in the near future.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • mr_goo
    Selected Last games before Christmas -

Derby - Norwich (Derby home win)
    Blackpool - Bournemouth ( 0-0 Draw)
    Cardiff - Brentford (Brentford away win)
    Ipswich - Boro (game of the weekend me thinks - 2 -2 Draw)
    Reading - Watford (Watford away win)
    Blackburn - Charlton (Draw)
    Forest - Leeds (Leeds away win)
    Wolves - Brighton (Wolves home win)
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Stevo_666
    Mr Goo wrote:
    A disappointing first 30 mins defensive performance by the Cherries opened the door for Liverpool. Otherwise, I think that if our finishing had been sharper it would have been a very close run game.
    Interestly my father in law read in the Telegraph that Liverpool may be the club that Eddie Howe will manage in the near future.
    How embarrassing, getting beaten by Liverpool :lol:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mr_goo
    Another half dozen goals for the Cherries. Quite miffed that they conceded one. :lol:
  • Stevo_666
    It's days like this when you think maybe it's better not to be a Premiership whipping boy :(

Imagine next season for your lot: "Welcome to Stamford Bridge...."
  • motogull
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    It's days like this when you think maybe it's better not to be a Premiership whipping boy :(

Yeah. Thing is though, I'd still love see the likes Fabregas and Yaya at our place, even though they'd be ripping us to shreds.

Well SDW, honours even. Was it a fair result? We are now 2 games from getting out of the R zone. Not nice.
  • Stevo_666
    @Motogull - I'm trying to work out who your team is?
  • motogull
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Brighton

:cry:
  • mr_goo
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Don't think they would be whipping boys. I saw Burnley last season at Yeovil. Yeovil were the whipping boys of the Championship and lost 2-0 at home to Sean Dyce's mob. I thought Burnley were pretty ordinary team, yet they get promoted. Cherries are far better than Burnley. So by my reckoning Cherries could stay up if and only if they get promoted. They are on a good run at the moment, but it is very tight at the top and one or two slip ups, with results in other matches going against and could be out of play off position.
    Away at the Den on Boxing day then home to Full of Ham on Sunday. Two very tough games in two days.
    Brentford are the surprise team for me this season. Doing exceptionally well above expectation.
  • Stevo_666
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Don't think they would be whipping boys.
    I think you will be from Chelsea's point of view :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    Motogull wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Brighton

:cry:
    You have my comiserations...
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I wish I had a sister to give away to Neil Lennon.
  • mr_goo
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Don't think they would be whipping boys.
    I think you will be from Chelsea's point of view :wink:

Not even promoted yet. Long, long road to travel yet with the Christmas/New Year programme a real test.

Chelsea beat Burnley away 3-1 on first day of season. Hardly consider that a slaughter, and Cherries are a far better team than Burnley.
  • Stevo_666
    See you at Stamford Bridge next season - probably :)
  • Sat on an Oil Rig in the North Sea. Boro win 3-0 and my Dad gets the ticket I bought for free. Still, they won me £90 with that scoreline. 32,000+ crowd. Glory days numbers.

UTFB
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Stevo_666
    Sat on an Oil Rig in the North Sea. Boro win 3-0 and my Dad gets the ticket I bought for free. Still, they won me £90 with that scoreline. 32,000+ crowd. Glory days numbers.

UTFB
    Another great result, makes up for last weeks blip. Just got to keep putting in performances like that.
  • Typical Boro last week, ease off after the Dery result. Karanka is instilling the killer mentality though. We'll get there.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Stevo_666
    Karanka is instilling the killer mentality though. We'll get there.
    He'd better hurry up :)
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Thought I'd give a shout out to my old man's (God rest his soul) team, Bolton Wanderers. That's 8 unbeaten including 5 wins!
    Looks like Neil Lennon is doing a good job and could Gudjohnsen and Heskey :shock: prove to be a master stroke?
    Hopefully they could get into the play offs. Would love to see them back in the Prem and would be interesting to see how Lennon gets on at the highest level.

Come on you Whites!
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • Stevo_666
    City Boy wrote:
    Thought I'd give a shout out to my old man's (God rest his soul) team, Bolton Wanderers. That's 8 unbeaten including 5 wins!
    Looks like Neil Lennon is doing a good job and could Gudjohnsen and Heskey :shock: prove to be a master stroke?
    Hopefully they could get into the play offs. Would love to see them back in the Prem and would be interesting to see how Lennon gets on at the highest level.

Come on you Whites!
    I think you and finchy are destined to become best mates :)

I honestly did a double take when I heard Emile Heskey mentioned on final score yesterday, I never clocked that he was still playing!

Now when do Bolton play The Boro? :wink:
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Hard to see a 72 year old strike force keeping fit over the course of a season but you never know. :D

Boro Bolton is at end of Feb. one of my favourite days was vs Bolton, down at Cardiff in Feb 2004!
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • mr_goo
    Certainly didn't expect to see The Cherries 4 pts clear by this evening. Likely be down to 1 point after Tues. Any how next league game not for 2 weeks. I bet like me, none of you lot expected AFCB to be top of the tree by the new year.
  • Stevo_666
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Certainly didn't expect to see The Cherries 4 pts clear by this evening. Likely be down to 1 point after Tues. Any how next league game not for 2 weeks. I bet like me, none of you lot expected AFCB to be top of the tree by the new year.
    Now your lot are 0 points clear - though Boro have not exactly capitalised on it. Will be an interesting second half of the season I reckon :)
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Not a RIP post but I see Sir Jack Hayward has died.
    Rescued Wolves from the brink and then sold them for a tenner.
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    Not a RIP post but I see Sir Jack Hayward has died.
    Rescued Wolves from the brink and then sold them for a tenner.

Just logged on to say the above...

Sir Jack saved us from extinction, rebuilt us and gave us our pride back. Wolves fans throughout the World will always love him for what he did for his beloved club.
    Not only that, but the man known as "Union" Jack did so much for this country that many people do not know about. From providing funding to build a hospital in Port Stanley after the Falklands War, to buying Lundy Island for the National Trust, Sir Jack always provided for others. I remember the first time I had the pleasure to briefly meet him, it was on the way to a home match. He was driving his Rover 75, stuck in a traffic jam next to me. I had my window down and stuck my thumb up at him. He put his window down and with a big smile on his face, he stuck his thumb up and said to me "Up the Wolves". A simply gesture, but how many owners of a football club would make that gesture?
    R.I.P. Sir Jack, a true legend of our club.
  • Stevo_666
    Boro up to second and breathing down Bournemouth's neck. UTFB.

So who's next :P