The Championship (mainly The Barcodes) thread

Comments

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Cracking win for Bolton tonight. Neil Lennon is looking like a legend already.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,353
    Stevo Chelsea supporter: "Come on chaps, break a leg...I say that blue is rather fetching...Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea ra ra ra..."

Stevo Boro supporter: "Get stuck in ya big womans blouse..stick the nut reet inta him the w@nka...d'ya call this footie like? My gran cud play betta an she deed in seventy two..."
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    Stevo Chelsea supporter: "Come on chaps, break a leg...I say that blue is rather fetching...Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea ra ra ra..."

Stevo Boro supporter: "Get stuck in ya big womans blouse..stick the nut reet inta him the w@nka...d'ya call this footie like? My gran cud play betta an she deed in seventy two..."
    If you heard the songs they were singing at Chelski when I go it's more Biffa Bacon than 'Tim Nice but Dim'. The QPR lot got a bit wound up when we gave them an honest appraisal of their ability :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Ho hum - no score draw but it's still wide open at the top of the Championship.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ho hum - no score draw but it's still wide open at the top of the Championship.

Yup. Honours even.
    Good win for Derby. Stuart Pearce eased the pressure on him with last gasp win against Canaries.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Reckon its Derby's to loose that was a demolishing of a good team, Looks like Wolves bubble has burst.

Watched Boro V Bournemouth with interest, Cagey game, Boro looked to have the advantage.

Finding the Championship much more interesting than the EPL, with a number of teams in the running.

Best mates lad (Paul Anderson) plays for Ipswich and Patrick Bamford's parents are Neighbours, whilst another mate is a GK coach at Forest, so able to get tickets for a good few games as apposed to having to beg my Brother for a Ticket off his season ticket for the Arsenal.

Derby look to be the best team in the Championship, they got the lowest points total in EPL last time they came up and I think in all honesty when you look at Burnley , Leicester and QPR, a similar fate awaits promoted teams.

The Economics and gaps are just too great. I think rather than giving EPL demoted teams a parachute payment ( I know its going to stop) They should give the promoted teams more of a win bonus to help them compete.
  • Stevo_666
    tim wand wrote:
    Reckon its Derby's to loose that was a demolishing of a good team, Looks like Wolves bubble has burst.

Watched Boro V Bournemouth with interest, Cagey game, Boro looked to have the advantage.

Finding the Championship much more interesting than the EPL, with a number of teams in the running.

Best mates lad (Paul Anderson) plays for Ipswich and Patrick Bamford's parents are Neighbours, whilst another mate is a GK coach at Forest, so able to get tickets for a good few games as apposed to having to beg my Brother for a Ticket off his season ticket for the Arsenal.

Derby look to be the best team in the Championship, they got the lowest points total in EPL last time they came up and I think in all honesty when you look at Burnley , Leicester and QPR, a similar fate awaits promoted teams.

The Economics and gaps are just too great. I think rather than giving EPL demoted teams a parachute payment ( I know its going to stop) They should give the promoted teams more of a win bonus to help them compete.
    That last point of yours is a proper good idea (as Boro are now in with a shout of going up) :)
  • George Friend is one majestic bastard.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • mr_goo
    Cherries vs Tractor Boys tomorrow. I'm expecting another close game, as they had with Boro.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Expectations have been raised a little round here now Mike Phelan has been appointed first team coach, his first job since leaving Man Utd. Obviously he's unlikely to have any impact for this weekend. Some fans think he may well be manager come January if things don't improve for Neil Adams after the last month or so.
  • At home to Forest tomorrow, we need to get back to winning ways. Despite what KJ says, confidence must have taken a knock after being completely outplayed by Derby. We have brought in Danny Graham as a temporary solution to our lack of a forward, so hopefully he can find his match fitness and bang in a couple of goals on his debut. UTW
  • Stevo_666
    The 'Boro get to play Malky Mackay's Wigan tomorrow...
  • mr_goo
    A good result for Cherries in my opinion, against another in form team. I still think they are punching well above their weight compared to other teams in the Champ'. I am anticipating a 'shock defeat' that might well take the wind out their sails and adjust their expectations. They are not a Premiership side. It is quite disconcerting to see whole page articles in the Telegraph about the Cherries and their possible promotion. Far too previous to be talking about that.
  • Stevo_666
    Mr Goo wrote:
    A good result for Cherries in my opinion, against another in form team. I still think they are punching well above their weight compared to other teams in the Champ'. I am anticipating a 'shock defeat' that might well take the wind out their sails and adjust their expectations. They are not a Premiership side. It is quite disconcerting to see whole page articles in the Telegraph about the Cherries and their possible promotion. Far too previous to be talking about that.
    The problem for any of the promotion contenders is that once they are 'up', they are probably going to get tonked on a regular basis. Sometimes it's not bad being a big fish in a small pond...
  • mr_goo
    Still in the top half dozen. Did think that Cherries may come unstuck against Millwall. Got a msg from a mate to tell me they were 2 up by half time. Followed by another msg that Derby were losing to Leeds and looks like the Cherries were gonna be on top of the cake. Not to be sadly. Two goad response from Millwall. Yet another game that they should have closed out/killed off. Never mind, still way above where they should be. And another thing, where the hell have Brentford come from? Now 3rd!
  • Stevo_666
    Still very tight at the top though Goo - only 2 points between 1st and 5th so it can and probably will change quickly over the Christmas period with the blitz of games that are on.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Still in the top half dozen. Did think that Cherries may come unstuck against Millwall. Got a msg from a mate to tell me they were 2 up by half time. Followed by another msg that Derby were losing to Leeds and looks like the Cherries were gonna be on top of the cake. Not to be sadly. Two goad response from Millwall. Yet another game that they should have closed out/killed off. Never mind, still way above where they should be. And another thing, where the hell have Brentford come from? Now 3rd!

You should get that Dave Bassett bloke back as manager!!! Oh sorry that was Harry Rednapp I meant :lol: these football threads do get confusing. Suppose I ll have to wait until next season for Manc 33 to read this.
  • mr_goo
    Excellent away win at Mollineux today for the Cherries, which adds more pressure on to Kenny Jackett. Looks like some daylight is opening up for the top six now.
  • Stevo_666
    Boro and Bournemouth are neck and neck now, after our 5-1 thrashing of Milwall :) . Same points and same goal difference - it doesn't get much tighter than that.

We've just got to catch up on the Tractor Boys and the Sheep Worriers...
  • mr_goo
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Boro and Bournemouth are neck and neck now, after our 5-1 thrashing of Milwall :) . Same points and same goal difference - it doesn't get much tighter than that.

This is all very well wishing our teams get promoted to Prem. But seeing how last seasons 3 are getting along, I am not so sure that I would want to see the Cherries get bombed every weekend.
  • Stevo_666
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

This is all very well wishing our teams get promoted to Prem. But seeing how last seasons 3 are getting along, I am not so sure that I would want to see the Cherries get bombed every weekend.
    After you, sir :wink:
  • We are looking rampant on the break. Gonna go watch Derby next week. Genuinely think anything could happen but neither team will want to concede points to the other, so possibly a damp squib.

I think the difference between Bournemouth and Boro if they get promoted is Karankas pedigree. He'll have pull for good players (like Robson used to, although that may have been due to the open boozing culture). He's also excellent friends with Mourinho and Pocchetino, so will continue to get good quality loan signings. Apparently has plenty of friends in high places across the continent too. Could be the start of a succesful dynasty at the Boro.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Stevo_666
    edited December 2014
    Karanka is good for sure but the trick is to survive the first season 'up' and that's not always easy, looking at the stats for newly promoted teams getting dumped straight back down. Let's see if we get there first!
  • That is true, but the first season will always be a consolidation. You get a load of money for just being in the Prem, plus increased tickets and merchandise. You can drop back down with a very tidy profit.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • mr_goo
    Boro, Derby, Ipswich et all have Premiership grounds, so are well set up for transition to the next level. Cherries don't. If they did get promoted I just don't see how they would comply with this financial fair play. The ground holds about 12k, so assuming that they are up. New players, higher wages all round. The gate receipts will not tally. Plus there is no way they can enlarge the ground nor should they.
  • Mr Goo wrote:
    Excellent away win at Mollineux today for the Cherries, which adds more pressure on to Kenny Jackett. Looks like some daylight is opening up for the top six now.
    I don't think any pressure will be put on Kenny after yesterday, we were doing well until it went to 10v12. :wink:
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    I don't think any pressure will be put on Kenny after yesterday, we were doing well until it went to 10v12. :wink:

Someone said that Kenny is 3rd favourite championship manager with the bookies to be sacked. Why might that be? I think he's doing well. Can we swap please?
  • Good to see that RVLP's red card has been rescinded, can't believe that Doherty's will stand though. I'm sure that had it been in a different match, it would not have stood. Doesn't bring back the points though... (sore loser? yes I am :-D )

Motogull - I remember a couple of years ago, everyone down here was saying Tony Bloom is the best Chairman a club could ever hope for. As a poker player, he knows how to play anyone and succeed... However since Poyet got too big for his boots, everything seems to have gone downhill. Bloom needs to come up with an Ace soon, because Hyppia doesn't seem to be the man for the job.
    As for our lot, I still stick with the opinion that we should have kept Mick McCarthy and we would never have been in the mess of the last few years. Kenny Jackett , while he was not the manager I wanted at Wolves, he is doing a decent job so far. We have slipped of late, but we have a young squad, many of whom have come up through the youth ranks, so it bodes well for the future. Just maybe not this year.
  • mr_goo
    Sat 13th

Cherries v Cardiff
    Boro v Derby
    Bolton v Tractor Boys
    Brentford v Blackburn
    Weds v Wolves
    Watford v Wigan

I predict a bit of a shuffle in the top 6 with Boro going top.
  • mr_goo
    C0ck a Doodle Doo! Cherries top again.

cock-a-doodle-doo-paulette-thomas.jpg