Torm

Comments

• Torm wrote:
    ...I'm sampling some designs this week...I reckon with these the iPhone 6/Galaxy S5 will fit in the zipped pockets of all the jerseys from small upwards...and even the iPhone 6 plus should fit in the zipped pockets from Large upwards. The iPhone 6 plus will also fit in the centre pocket of all size jerseys...just don't ask about iPads !!!

That is one avenue... I am more interested in carrying stuff I actually need to carry, like a light showerproof, a roll of basic tools, a spare tube

I can comfortably fit a Lezyne caddy sack (has basic tools and inner tube inside), a pump and a Castelli rain jacket plus phone (iPhone 5) in my jacket today. Don't ride tubeless so have no experience about the ability or otherwise of jamming one of those in a pocket.

You probably are a bigger size... you won't be able to fit that in a medium jersey
    left the forum March 2023
  • Torm
    Torm Posts: 234
    ...what does a roll of basic tools include ?
  • Torm wrote:

It's a Rapha roll with a small chain breaker, a couple of tyre levers, a pair of latex gloves, a spoke key and a small set of allen keys 2-6 mm. I prefer it to multitools, which are always disappointing
  • Torm
    Torm wrote:

It's a Rapha roll with a small chain breaker, a couple of tyre levers, a pair of latex gloves, a spoke key and a small set of allen keys 2-6 mm. I prefer it to multitools, which are always disappointing
    ....ok....that sounds like a reasonable kit....what dimensions are tool roll ?
  • Torm wrote:
    Torm wrote:

Diameter is around 70 mm, length doesn't matter, it if sticks out by an inch is fine with me
  • Torm
    Torm wrote:
    Torm wrote:

Diameter is around 70 mm, length doesn't matter, it if sticks out by an inch is fine with me
    Let us know when you've tested the new pocket design on the bike.
  • As soon as the temperature rises, I might be able to use it as an outer layer... at the moment it's too cold for a a jersey. The new pockets are much better... each one 1 cm wider and 2-3 cm taller than the previous version of the T8 jersey. seem to do the trick of fitting the necessary paraphernalia I need for a ride
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Torm wrote:

Yer big girl's blouse
  • Torm
    As soon as the temperature rises, I might be able to use it as an outer layer... at the moment it's too cold for a a jersey. The new pockets are much better... each one 1 cm wider and 2-3 cm taller than the previous version of the T8 jersey. seem to do the trick of fitting the necessary paraphernalia I need for a ride
    ...suns out...just saying !
  • Torm wrote:
    As soon as the temperature rises, I might be able to use it as an outer layer... at the moment it's too cold for a a jersey. The new pockets are much better... each one 1 cm wider and 2-3 cm taller than the previous version of the T8 jersey. seem to do the trick of fitting the necessary paraphernalia I need for a ride

Yet, when I leave home in the morning it's 4-5 degrees...
    I find the new sizing a wee bit more generous... meaning the old T8 medium was a snug fit and this new T8 medium is a tiny bit looser fit. Can you confirm this is the case?
  • white91
    white91 Posts: 431
    Do many Torm users not have saddle bags?

I have two Torm jerseys, and really like the fit/style, and its unfair to compare their jersey to a product cost 3x the price. I also have two Rapha jerseys btw.

I think a jersey should accomodate a mobile phone in a waterproof zipped pocket, but most of my tools, tubes and tyre levers live in a saddle bag.

I do however like to carry a pump in the jersey, I would support a move to a pump sleeve/pocket.

Finally hats off to Torm for bringing a competitively priced product to market, designed for cyclists, and actually listening to what we want. Changes take time to impliment, but lets keep developing.
  • Torm
    Torm wrote:

Yet, when I leave home in the morning it's 4-5 degrees...
    I find the new sizing a wee bit more generous... meaning the old T8 medium was a snug fit and this new T8 medium is a tiny bit looser fit. Can you confirm this is the case?
    The jerseys are handmade so there will always be minor sizing differences but essentially they are made from exactly the same pattern!
    I'm glad the new pockets are good, I will now implement this change on all new stock deliveries.
  • white91 wrote:

I think a jersey should accomodate a mobile phone in a waterproof zipped pocket, but most of my tools, tubes and tyre levers live in a saddle bag.

If you want to carry a saddle bag that's great, I don't, so I want jerseys with big pockets, what's the problem with that? The type of cycling I do is not very saddle bag friendly... I don't remember how many of them I ripped over the years
  • white91
    white91 wrote:

If you want to carry a saddle bag that's great, I don't, so I want jerseys with big pockets, what's the problem with that? The type of cycling I do is not very saddle bag friendly... I don't remember how many of them I ripped over the years

The problem is quite clear to me, you are trying to stuff everything in a jersey :roll:
  • white91 wrote:
    The problem is quite clear to me, you are trying to stuff everything in a jersey :roll:

It isn't a problem...
  • white91
    You are of course free to use whatever you wish, just curious as to what cycling you do that rips saddle bags?
  • white91 wrote:
    You are of course free to use whatever you wish, just curious as to what cycling you do that rips saddle bags?

I occasionally go off road and on cobbles. Here is a list of issues I had with saddle bags in the past

- ZIp failing
    - Zip seizing
    - Mounting clip shearing (twice)
    - Mounting plate failing
    - mounting straps failing
  • white91
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deuter-bike-bag-i-08-litre/

Mine has survived a few trans-continental trips, and off roading
  • Torm
    white91 wrote:

I have two Torm jerseys, and really like the fit/style, and its unfair to compare their jersey to a product cost 3x the price. I also have two Rapha jerseys btw.

I do however like to carry a pump in the jersey, I would support a move to a pump sleeve/pocket.

Finally hats off to Torm for bringing a competitively priced product to market, designed for cyclists, and actually listening to what we want. Changes take time to impliment, but lets keep developing.

I'm always ready to listen to your views and challenges, and by the way I've got no problem with people buying whatever cycling gear they like...remember I need to buy shoes, bibs, tights, gillets, waterproof jackets etc from other manufactures so I'm a consumer just like you !
    The quality vs price debate is an interesting one, as far as I can see there isn't a bad SportWool jersey on the market, it's just about taste/styling/cut. I believe the selling price of cycling jerseys more often defines whether a product is 'inclusive' or 'exclusive' rather than directly linked the quality/production cost, heres why.
    The biggest cost for SportWool products is the fabric, I will always pay more for the SportWool fabric than the larger cycling garment producers as they will benefit from the economies of scale (all European supplied SportWool is produced by the same Danish company by the way...you can't buy cheap/knock off/replica SportWool as it is licensed/regulated by the Australian Government who own the patent to it !). The same is true for the economies of scale on the manufacturing costs, it would be foolish to spend so much money on the fabric only to use cheap/poor manufacturing quality.
    You just need 3 types of sewing machine, a skilled machinist and 2 hours to make a great quality cycling jersey...you consider the cost of your overheads then decide how much profit you want to make by setting the selling price, which is linked to how inclusive/exclusive you want to make the product.
    Have I given any secrets away ?
  • ...before saddlebags became popular, these were the must have things... :roll:

enhanced-buzz-10132-1381453091-8.jpg

100-quality-guarantee-Thick-canvas-with-genuine-leather-waist-bag-waist-pack-belt-bag-leisure-bag.jpg
  • Torm
    white91 wrote:

I occasionally go off road and on cobbles. Here is a list of issues I had with saddle bags in the past

- ZIp failing
    - Zip seizing
    - Mounting clip shearing (twice)
    - Mounting plate failing
    - mounting straps failing

As I also run a local bike shop I can confirm that I have warrantied saddle bags for customers with all these issues...and had a few myself...although I avoid cobbles !
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,765
    I really don't like this thread. I'm sure the Torm stuff is good quality and the prices are reasonable, I'd love to try it. Unfortunately I have an allergy to wool and every time I read this thread it pisses me off. :oops:
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I really don't like this thread. I'm sure the Torm stuff is good quality and the prices are reasonable, I'd love to try it. Unfortunately I have an allergy to wool and every time I read this thread it pisses me off. :oops:

Even merino in sportwool? It's got sub 18 micron fibres which don't itch...
  • veronese68
    Not tried sportwool particularly, but my wife has a merino top and if I'm in contact with it for too long I start to itch then go red. I'm sure she wears wool to keep me away at times.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Not tried sportwool particularly, but my wife has a merino top and if I'm in contact with it for too long I start to itch then go red. I'm sure she wears wool to keep me away at times.

I'm tempted to think it's not pure merino. The itching is due to the size of the fibre.
  • Torm
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I suspect you have a lanolin allergy, this is the natural anti bacterial in wool which stops woolen products (including sheep !) from smelling of body odour, and the main reason why you should only wash woolen products with a swollen detergent and no fabric softener.

I can't wear normal woolen products against my skin, it drives me insane with the irritation from itching rather than producing a rash but as previously stated the fibre size is the key to stopping this for me and merino is the only woolen product I can wear next to my skin.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    white91 wrote:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deuter-bike-bag-i-08-litre/

Mine has survived a few trans-continental trips, and off roading

Good for you, but not everyone wants to ugly up their nice road bike, bigger pockets are always better IMO, and I'm pleased that the guys at Torm have listened, I will buy one once the pocket thing is implemented.

@Torm, could you let us know when they are in stock?

deuter-bikebag-I-12-med.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

Yuk :lol:
  • veronese68
    Torm wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I suspect you have a lanolin allergy, this is the natural anti bacterial in wool which stops woolen products (including sheep !) from smelling of body odour, and the main reason why you should only wash woolen products with a swollen detergent and no fabric softener.

I can't wear normal woolen products against my skin, it drives me insane with the irritation from itching rather than producing a rash but as previously stated the fibre size is the key to stopping this for me and merino is the only woolen product I can wear next to my skin.
    Really, I'm going to have to buy some now aren't I. Better check the t's & c's in case I do react, obviously wouldn't wear it on a ride without checking I don't react first.
    I must say it's nice to see a supplier on here engaging properly and asking for feedback.
  • Torm
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Torm wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Really, I'm going to have to buy some now aren't I. Better check the t's & c's in case I do react, obviously wouldn't wear it on a ride without checking I don't react first.
    I must say it's nice to see a supplier on here engaging properly and asking for feedback.
    It really is just me an Al at Torm so we are pretty relaxed about things and can find time to engage with cyclists, we're not trying to take over the cycling world, we're just a couple of cyclists who also run a local bike shop and think we can supply great quality gear at an affordable price.

In terms of t and c's...well we don't have many, just try not to rub it anywhere dodgy to see if you get a rash !
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    Have to say I have both torm and rapha jerseys and prefer the torm as the sleeves on the ss are slightly longer so better to wear with armwarmers.

The pockets are a bit on the tight side though but I like the double zips. Keep up the good work Torm guys.

Have you tried a carradice Ugo?