The Irony Thread

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,916
    morstar said:

That the communist Chinese understand the problem with monopolies better than the West.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56701765

It's commonly recognised that Apple practices are stifling app development.

Oh, I think it's understood in the west, but they haven't got the balls to take them on. I still don't get it how aggressively they went after Microsoft (e.g. on unbundling Internet Explorer), but have given Apple a free pass.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited April 2021
    I suppose Apple don't hold the monopoly on phones that Microsoft had on PC software?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    elbowloh said:

I suppose Apple don't hold the monopoly on phones that Microsoft had on PC software?

If you look at the stats about how many people apple, Amazon etc employ as lobbyists, it becomes less surprising.

Imagine the communists who have embraced capitalism treat capitalism like a very carefully controlled experiment. Part of the 5 year plan. So they are totally relaxed about tinkering with it as they see fit.

No ideological capital invested (pun intended). No voters to please.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited April 2021
    Ineos and BASF the same with chemicals.

Lots of them have brexit as the perfect opportunity to cement their monopolies as well.
  • briantrumpet
    elbowloh said:

Other options were available at the time... not least Apple.

It's ironic now that Apple were the mavericks at the time, the good little guys, and now have display all the tendencies of monopolistic behemoths, while Microsoft have become the hippy option that allows users to tinker under the bonnet, while Apple has locked it shut, while utterly controlling their 'internal market', the thing that MS was forced to open up.

I'm not sure what it's cash pile is now, but somewhere in the region of $200bn. That's not a free market that's working. They can afford to lobby hard with that cash reservoir.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

elbowloh said:

If you look at the stats about how many people apple, Amazon etc employ as lobbyists, it becomes less surprising.

Imagine the communists who have embraced capitalism treat capitalism like a very carefully controlled experiment. Part of the 5 year plan. So they are totally relaxed about tinkering with it as they see fit.

No ideological capital invested (pun intended). No voters to please.
    Not being pedantic because I think it is a very important point. Short-term for China is 20 years.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    edited May 2021
    Pretty dark. Associated Press journalist, writing YESTERDAY:

"The Associated Press office is the only place in Gaza City I feel somewhat safe. The Israeli military has the coordinates of the high-rise, so it’s less likely a bomb will bring it crashing down."
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    How to win friends and influence people...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey

This is basically a type of diversity intervention that the Tories hate so much.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

This is basically a type of diversity intervention that the Tories hate so much.

It's also bollocks. Museum trustees and chairmen often seem to be Tory donors and mates of Tories.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2021
    elbowloh said:

It's also bollocks. Museum trustees and chairmen often seem to be Tory donors and mates of Tories.
    It’s this kind of confused thinking that makes their defence that they object to the means of improving the problems minorities have rather than the end is disingenuous, as when they have an end they approve of they are happy to use the same means.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,917
    elbowloh said:

I think increasingly though its the wrong type of tory.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited May 2021

elbowloh said:

It’s this kind of confused thinking that makes their defence that they object to the means of improving the problems minorities have rather than the end is disingenuous, as when they have an end they approve of they are happy to use the same means.

Talking of confused, I look forward to the day when Google translate adds Woke to their list of languages.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2021
    I can spell it out.

Tories naturally object to diversity quotas, right?

“Right person for the right job regardless of background”

They don’t agree with the notion of forcing organisations to appoint people on the basis of their background.

I mean, I don’t necessarily agree but it’s not an unreasonable position to take, right?

Only, when it is the type of diversity the Tories would like, suddenly they seem to be ok with forcing organisations (in this instance, museums) to appoint people from certain backgrounds (from the “red wall” not London).

So, I’m suggesting, it’s not the principle of quotas they object to. After all, they are proposing their own.

So they are therefore objecting to the purpose of the quotas...and if the purpose is to improve things for minorities, why are they objecting?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

I can spell it out.

They don’t agree with the notion of forcing organisations to appoint people on the basis of their background.

I mean, I don’t necessarily agree but it’s not an unreasonable position to take, right?

Only, when it is the type of diversity the Tories would like, suddenly they seem to be ok with forcing organisations (in this instance, museums) to appoint people from certain backgrounds (from the “red wall” not London).

So, I’m suggesting, it’s not the principle of quotas they object to. After all, they are proposing their own.

So they are therefore objecting to the purpose of the quotas...and if the purpose is to improve things for minorities, why are they objecting?

My view entirely.

Tbf the piece you quote doesn't mention imposing quotas does it? Dowden expresses a desire for a more diverse make up, something I would have thought you would have supported.
    Much like I may have a desire for a more diverse representation at the top of businesses or government, where we live in a true meritocracy but would not accept quotas to achieve this.

• surrey_commuter

I can spell it out.

P

I sometimes think that you like being triggered.

My reaction is to laugh at them appointing a token northerner. Will they lay on separate snacks?

Do you not think some of the people already on these committees are northerners? But they will be the wrong sort of northerner so they will need your help to write the JD so they get applications from the right sort of stereotypical whippet fvcking, brass band, George Formby, crown green bowling northerner
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2021

I can spell it out.

My view entirely.

Tbf the piece you quote doesn't mention imposing quotas does it? Dowden expresses a desire for a more diverse make up, something I would have thought you would have supported.
    Much like I may have a desire for a more diverse representation at the top of businesses or government, where we live in a true meritocracy but would not accept quotas to achieve this.

Sure. I’m saying there’s irony here right?

And I’m pointing that out.

And the piece talks specifically about having more non-Londoners on the boards.

For me the lack of consistency on the topic is revealing, right?

We can have the debate on the topic of diversity representation - maybe in another thread - but I’m not taking a stance here - just pointing out this govt want it both ways and wondering why.
  • ballysmate
    The real irony is RC finding fault (or being triggered, as SC puts it) in a government minister expressing a desire that the leadership of some national bodies had a broader reflection of the whole country.
  • kingstongraham

The real irony is RC finding fault (or being triggered, as SC puts it) in a government minister expressing a desire that the leadership of some national bodies had a broader reflection of the whole country.

Only issue with that is that RC is expressing the exact reverse of what you accuse him of.
  • ballysmate
    edited May 2021

Only issue with that is that RC is expressing the exact reverse of what you accuse him of.

My bad. Didn't realise that he felt the need to post in order to express his support for Howden's statement. We'll make a true blue of him yet. ;)

Ooops. Dowden
  • briantrumpet

I'm not sure how you're coming to that conclusion.

1) This is the irony thread, and RC pointed out the irony.
    2) He's not triggered (see point 1)
  • kingstongraham

My bad. Didn't realise that he felt the need to post in order to express his support for Howden's statement. We'll make a true blue of him yet. ;)

Ooops. Dowden
    Will he start from the top? He's from the South east, went to Cambridge, worked for the conservative party, then a pr company and then the conservative party again before becoming a special adviser then mp for a South east constituency.

If he thinks there should be better representation and fewer people like him, we'll make a social justice warrior of him yet. Very woke, that is.
  • surrey_commuter

I can spell it out.

My view entirely.

We can have the debate on the topic of diversity representation - maybe in another thread - but I’m not taking a stance here - just pointing out this govt want it both ways and wondering why.
    Rick if you check those Boards my bet is that most of them are not Londoners. They are using Northerner as code for state educated so as not to upset their core support.
  • rick_chasey

I can spell it out.

My view entirely.

Rick if you check those Boards my bet is that most of them are not Londoners. They are using Northerner as code for state educated so as not to upset their core support.
    Sure - that’s not what I’m talking about?

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    As a Northerner I suppose that I should be looking forward to some of these token appointments if I want to keep going a couple of days a week when my current career is over.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

As a Northerner I suppose that I should be looking forward to some of these token appointments if I want to keep going a couple of days a week when my current career is over.

Likewise, can fall back on my Yorkshire roots.
  • briantrumpet

Stevo_666 said:

Turnips?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515

Stevo_666 said:

Never had you down as a Yorkshire man.

I'm planning on living up there in a large house and can fly down when needed on Yorkshire's very own airline.

https://youtu.be/Rm6VC5gdaFA
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]