The Irony Thread

Comments

• nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    edited May 2020
    delete
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    The Trumpster asking police to come down hard on protestors protesting against police brutality.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    "China calls for an end to racial discrimination."
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    pblakeney said:

"China calls for an end to racial discrimination."

I mean f*ck me. The brass neck.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    the Cummings family "cottage" does not have planning permission for residential use
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    They also have not paid any council tax on it either plus he appears to own it.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    He also received EU subsidy money for it.
  • pblakeney
    Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,932

the Cummings family "cottage" does not have planning permission for residential use

It does seem that someone has the receipts: https://universalcreditsuffer.com/2020/05/31/cummings-spare-cottage-without-planning-permission-and-pays-no-council-tax/
  • surrey_commuter

It does seem that someone has the receipts: https://universalcreditsuffer.com/2020/05/31/cummings-spare-cottage-without-planning-permission-and-pays-no-council-tax/
    may work out cheaper to have quit

old man Cummings probably in there with a crowbar removing the kitchen and bathroom.
    But Dominic how can you have stayed in a building with no kitchen or bathroom.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    edited June 2020

Planning law 🚨. It's always more complicated than it looks. If he or Wakefield Sr is being crafty with the regs, I would expect him to have taken advice on it.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    This does seem to be a clear sign that the plans to oust Cummings because of his lockdown breaches have not succeeded.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    edited June 2020
    Whose plan was that?

Interesting that Jeremy Hunt was reported to be phoning around back benchers immediately after the story broke.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    edited June 2020
    rjsterry said:

Whose plan was that?

Did they have approval? 😂
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666 said:

This does seem to be a clear sign that the plans to oust Cummings because of his lockdown breaches have not succeeded.

Remain have 27 days to stop us leaving the transition period.

I suspect there is a lot of underhand stuff going on by remoaners that with this constant distraction with Cummings they are trying to slide through.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,316
    Leave voters complaining about underhand tactics
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited June 2020
    Building relations between the community and the police by having mobs abuse, agitate and attack the police while they just stand there and bank these memories.

That will go down well in the future for them...
  • kingstongraham

Building relations between the community and the police by having a mobs abuse, agitate and attack the police while they just stand there and bank these memories.

Are you worried about being attacked or singled out by the police as a consequence of the actions of those people?
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Whose plan was that?

Interesting that Jeremy Hunt was reported to be phoning around back benchers immediately after the story broke.

Not sure, but it didn't succeed so not really relevant.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • surrey_commuter

Building relations between the community and the police by having mobs abuse, agitate and attack the police while they just stand there and bank these memories.

they should give them three mins to disperse, after which the police are allowed to do whatever they want to quell the disorder. Most will depart leaving the hardcore to battle it out with the police.
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Whose plan was that?

Seeing as this plan is a figment of your imagination, I agree.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

they should give them three mins to disperse, after which the police are allowed to do whatever they want to quell the disorder. Most will depart leaving the hardcore to battle it out with the police.
    This is probably the course of action that most police forces in the western world are trying to avoid. Don't get me wrong this is probably standard tactics for such amazing countries such as Russia, China, or Syria but I don't fancy living in these countries or protesting.
  • rick_chasey
    john80 said:

This is probably the course of action that most police forces in the western world are trying to avoid. Don't get me wrong this is probably standard tactics for such amazing countries such as Russia, China, or Syria but I don't fancy living in these countries or protesting.
    A reminder China currently has c.1-1.5m Uyghurs and other Chinese Muslims in gulags.
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Whose plan was that?

Seeing as this plan is a figment of your imagination, I agree.
    A fail is a fail ;)
  • surrey_commuter
    john80 said:

If you want to chuck bricks and petrol bombs at the police don't complain if you get bitten by a dog, trampled by a horse and smashed over the head.

In fairness those hard core types tend not to complain, it is always the innocent person peacefully observing events or popping out for a pint of milk. These people just give cover to the nutters and I would give them a three minute warning to leave and stop treating it as an exciting spectator sport. The coppers are human beings doing their job and thanks to this lot a bad day could now result in them being in a hospital bed or pine box.
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2020

john80 said:

If you want to chuck bricks and petrol bombs at the police don't complain if you get bitten by a dog, trampled by a horse and smashed over the head.

In fairness those hard core types tend not to complain, it is always the innocent person peacefully observing events or popping out for a pint of milk. These people just give cover to the nutters and I would give them a three minute warning to leave and stop treating it as an exciting spectator sport. The coppers are human beings doing their job and thanks to this lot a bad day could now result in them being in a hospital bed or pine box.
    Erm, in context of what the protests are about and the police behaviour thus far, that seems really quite a misjudged comment.
  • surrey_commuter

john80 said:

Erm, in context of what the protests are about and the police behaviour thus far, that seems really quite a misjudged comment.
    I don’t see how trying to kick the sh1t out of a copper in London is OK because a US cop killed somebody in Minnesota.
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2020

john80 said:

I don’t see how trying to kick the censored out of a copper in London is OK because a US cop killed somebody in Minnesota.
    Sure that specific instance, but the protests are really about how the UK police too treat minorities badly, right?

It's the right thread if the police are complaining they're getting their heads kicked in by protesters, who are protesting that the police discriminate against minorities (which they do)
  • rjsterry

john80 said:

I don’t see how trying to kick the censored out of a copper in London is OK because a US cop killed somebody in Minnesota.
    Nobody is saying it's OK. But let's get some perspective of the thousands who turned out yesterday just two were arrested. The "mob" was a tiny fraction: should everyone else's right to peacefully protest be curtailed because of a few idiots? Secondly, it was not just about a US cop killing somebody Minnesota as I'm sure you are aware.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Nobody is saying it's OK. But let's get some perspective of the thousands who turned out yesterday just two were arrested. The "mob" was a tiny fraction: should everyone else's right to peacefully protest be curtailed because of a few idiots? Secondly, it was not just about a US cop killing somebody Minnesota as I'm sure you are aware.
    When there is a law saying that no gatherings of more than 6 people are allowed, is there a right to protest like this at the moment?

I don't know how it could be allowed to start, and I don't know how it could have been prevented without making things worse. It's very messed up.