The Irony Thread

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,889

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Building relations between the community and the police by having mobs abuse, agitate and attack the police while they just stand there and bank these memories.

That will go down well in the future for them...

they should give them three mins to disperse, after which the police are allowed to do whatever they want to quell the disorder. Most will depart leaving the hardcore to battle it out with the police.
    This is probably the course of action that most police forces in the western world are trying to avoid. Don't get me wrong this is probably standard tactics for such amazing countries such as Russia, China, or Syria but I don't fancy living in these countries or protesting.
    If you want to chuck bricks and petrol bombs at the police don't complain if you get bitten by a dog, trampled by a horse and smashed over the head.

In fairness those hard core types tend not to complain, it is always the innocent person peacefully observing events or popping out for a pint of milk. These people just give cover to the nutters and I would give them a three minute warning to leave and stop treating it as an exciting spectator sport. The coppers are human beings doing their job and thanks to this lot a bad day could now result in them being in a hospital bed or pine box.
    Erm, in context of what the protests are about and the police behaviour thus far, that seems really quite a misjudged comment.
    I don’t see how trying to kick the censored out of a copper in London is OK because a US cop killed somebody in Minnesota.
    Nobody is saying it's OK. But let's get some perspective of the thousands who turned out yesterday just two were arrested. The "mob" was a tiny fraction: should everyone else's right to peacefully protest be curtailed because of a few idiots? Secondly, it was not just about a US cop killing somebody Minnesota as I'm sure you are aware.
    When there is a law saying that no gatherings of more than 6 people are allowed, is there a right to protest like this at the moment?

I don't know how it could be allowed to start, and I don't know how it could have been prevented without making things worse. It's very messed up.
    Parliament banning gatherings of more than 6 people.
    Parliament forcing all MPs to gather.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,777
    edited June 2020

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Building relations between the community and the police by having mobs abuse, agitate and attack the police while they just stand there and bank these memories.

they should give them three mins to disperse, after which the police are allowed to do whatever they want to quell the disorder. Most will depart leaving the hardcore to battle it out with the police.
    This is probably the course of action that most police forces in the western world are trying to avoid. Don't get me wrong this is probably standard tactics for such amazing countries such as Russia, China, or Syria but I don't fancy living in these countries or protesting.
    If you want to chuck bricks and petrol bombs at the police don't complain if you get bitten by a dog, trampled by a horse and smashed over the head.

In fairness those hard core types tend not to complain, it is always the innocent person peacefully observing events or popping out for a pint of milk. These people just give cover to the nutters and I would give them a three minute warning to leave and stop treating it as an exciting spectator sport. The coppers are human beings doing their job and thanks to this lot a bad day could now result in them being in a hospital bed or pine box.
    Erm, in context of what the protests are about and the police behaviour thus far, that seems really quite a misjudged comment.
    I don’t see how trying to kick the censored out of a copper in London is OK because a US cop killed somebody in Minnesota.
    Nobody is saying it's OK. But let's get some perspective of the thousands who turned out yesterday just two were arrested. The "mob" was a tiny fraction: should everyone else's right to peacefully protest be curtailed because of a few idiots? Secondly, it was not just about a US cop killing somebody Minnesota as I'm sure you are aware.
    When there is a law saying that no gatherings of more than 6 people are allowed, is there a right to protest like this at the moment?

I don't know how it could be allowed to start, and I don't know how it could have been prevented without making things worse. It's very messed up.
    From a distancing point of view I see little practical difference between this and the crowds on Brighton Beach - all those groups of sunbathers swearing they all lived in the same house. The credibility of any sort of meaningful enforcement has been torched by Rees Mogg and Johnson anyway.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

I am not talking about the people protesting lawfully, I am talking about the ones who turned up to bash the police.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

I am not talking about the people protesting lawfully, I am talking about the ones who turned up to bash the police.
    You were arguing that thousands of "These people" should be given a laughable 3 minutes to disperse because a couple of dozen turned up looking for a fight.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,707
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

You were arguing that thousands of "These people" should be given a laughable 3 minutes to disperse because a couple of dozen turned up looking for a fight.
    The journey from PM surrey_commuter to brutal dictator is quicker than most.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

He'll be putting in an order for some extra tanks 'just in case'.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,330
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

"Er, Sadiq - you actually scrapped those water cannons yet?"
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,858

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

"Er, Sadiq - you actually scrapped those water cannons yet?"
    Why waste precious gov't money on seperate riot equipment when you could roll in existing tanks? mm?
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Bizarrely I used to have a social conscience and went on protest marches. Always used to be scummers only there for a free hit at the police. If you want to sing songs about Broadwater Farm, throw bottles and bricks and run up to a WPC with her arms linked with colleagues and punch her in the face breaking her nose then you can take your beating with good grace.

And to reiterate there is a big difference between protesters and those there purely to attack the police.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,083
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Aren't there some water cannons going cheap?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,723

Bizarrely I used to have a social conscience and went on protest marches. Always used to be scummers only there for a free hit at the police. If you want to sing songs about Broadwater Farm, throw bottles and bricks and run up to a WPC with her arms linked with colleagues and punch her in the face breaking her nose then you can take your beating with good grace.

And to reiterate there is a big difference between protesters and those there purely to attack the police.

Reminds me of this old saying , which still has a certain amount of truth in it:
    https://reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/6g82rv/if_youre_not_a_socialist_at_the_age_of_20_you/
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Well, actually, all of them should have been arrested as they were breaching lockdown laws. A former Italian flatmate of my wife's couldn't even be with his dad when he died last month because of lockdown rules. If we're going to make exceptions for protests against a police killing in the USA then there is no point in even having the rules.
  • nickice

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Police officers not kneeling might have been a good start.
  • nickice

john80 said:

This is the approach of the Spanish police: if you're in the general area you get a beating. As much as part of me wants to agree with you, far too many innocent people end up suffering. At the same time, as soon as anything started kicking off, I'd be out of there, for exactly the reasons you've giveN
  • rjsterry
    nickice said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Well, actually, all of them should have been arrested as they were breaching lockdown laws. A former Italian flatmate of my wife's couldn't even be with his dad when he died last month because of lockdown rules. If we're going to make exceptions for protests against a police killing in the USA then there is no point in even having the rules.
    Having lost my father in law three weeks ago, I raised this the other day when whotsisface went for his drive to Durham. Apparently I was being unnecessarily emotional about it and if you felt strongly about something then the rules were more guidelines. A few days later everyone went to the beach, so indeed, what is the point of having rules? It's not just about one police killing in the US either.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• nickice
    rjsterry said:

nickice said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Having lost my father in law three weeks ago, I raised this the other day when whotsisface went for his drive to Durham. Apparently I was being unnecessarily emotional about it and if you felt strongly about something then the rules were more guidelines. A few days later everyone went to the beach, so indeed, what is the point of having rules? It's not just about one police killing in the US either.

I
    Well what is it about? Because everyone says it's not just about this (and, by the way, what is the evidence it was racist? Brutal certainly and there needs to be some long jail sentences but why do we assume it's automatically racist?) and it's about police actions in general. But I get the impression that people say that every time. It doesn't help that Michael Brown's death (which from the evidence we have was entirely justified) is still used as an example of police brutality.
  • rjsterry
    nickice said:

rjsterry said:

nickice said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

I
    Well what is it about? Because everyone says it's not just about this (and, by the way, what is the evidence it was racist? Brutal certainly and there needs to be some long jail sentences but why do we assume it's automatically racist?) and it's about police actions in general. But I get the impression that people say that every time. It doesn't help that Michael Brown's death (which from the evidence we have was entirely justified) is still used as an example of police brutality.
    If it was just one guy in the US, I think it is unlikely there would be several thousand people assembling in Hyde Park. As just one example, the Met were only yesterday answering questions in the London Assembly about why official figures showed that they had handed out proportionally more fines for lockdown breaches to BAME Londoners than white Londoners. Anyway, the point wasn't to get into a detailed dissection of why people are protesting around the world. If you would arrest the people in Hyde Park, why not the drunks on Brighton Beach or those who drove for hours to reach Durdle Door?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• nickice
    rjsterry said:

nickice said:

rjsterry said:

nickice said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

I
    If it was just one guy in the US, I think it is unlikely there would be several thousand people assembling in Hyde Park. As just one example, the Met were only yesterday answering questions in the London Assembly about why official figures showed that they had handed out proportionally more fines for lockdown breaches to BAME Londoners than white Londoners. Anyway, the point wasn't to get into a detailed dissection of why people are protesting around the world. If you would arrest the people in Hyde Park, why not the drunks on Brighton Beach or those who drove for hours to reach Durdle Door?

You'd need to ask them. If the UK is systemically racist, I'd like to see some clear statistics showing this.

I wouldn't arrest any of them but you were arguing that there were only two arrests when, in fact, they were all breaking the rules so should have been fines or at least dispersed. Instead what do we get? Police officers kneeling. It's also interesting that people who were strongly critical of other gatherings are now silent about this.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,337
    Getting asked to stop derailing one thread so moving the conversation and derailing another instead
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • kingstongraham
    nickice said:

rjsterry said:

nickice said:

rjsterry said:

nickice said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

I

You'd need to ask them. If the UK is systemically racist, I'd like to see some clear statistics showing this.

I wouldn't arrest any of them but you were arguing that there were only two arrests when, in fact, they were all breaking the rules so should have been fines or at least dispersed. Instead what do we get? Police officers kneeling. It's also interesting that people who were strongly critical of other gatherings are now silent about this.
    Who's that?

No problems with officers kneeling though. Seems respectful to the issue. More with the crowd gathering.
  • pangolin
    Stevo_666 said:

Reminds me of this old saying , which still has a certain amount of truth in it:
    https://reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/6g82rv/if_youre_not_a_socialist_at_the_age_of_20_you/
    Posting silly and overly simplistic cliches in an attempt to signal your intelligence to others.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • nickice
    pangolin said:

Getting asked to stop derailing one thread so moving the conversation and derailing another instead

Yes because these threads always stay on topic...
  • nickice

nickice said:

rjsterry said:

nickice said:

rjsterry said:

nickice said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

I

Who's that?

No problems with officers kneeling though. Seems respectful to the issue. More with the crowd gathering.
    The white people in the USA say they are kneeling to ask for forgiveness from the black community. Why do the British police have to do it for something that happened in the USA?
  • pangolin
    nickice said:

pangolin said:

Being more offended by that comment than by institutional racism.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,723
    edited June 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

Posting silly and overly simplistic cliches in an attempt to signal your intelligence to others.
    Bad day today? You seem to be missing your characteristic wit and humour.

Or over 40 and still a sad leftie? ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • nickice
    pangolin said:

nickice said:

pangolin said:

Being more offended by that comment than by institutional racism.
    'Offended'? What institutional racism are you referring to?
  • rjsterry
    edited June 2020
    nickice said:

rjsterry said:

nickice said:

rjsterry said:

nickice said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

I

The two arrests point was in response to a couple of posts suggesting that a large part of the protest march was attacking police which was untrue. I'm afraid we'll have to do the systemic racism question another time.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• nickice
    I don't think there's any doubt that racism exists but it was a question as to whether the UK is systemically or institutionally racist. Don't you think it looks like more of a class issue? Your average, for want of a better word, ned in parts of Scotland could probably give the same answers (well a part from the skin colour part)
  • kingstongraham
    I don't, no, but going to leave it.