Tour de France Stage 5 Ypres-Arenberg *Spoiler*

Comments

• adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    The_Boy wrote:
    I'm the child of tabloid journalists, I see 'it' everywhere. :)

And yes the glee of seeing people get taken out by crashes was too much for me.

One other thing that might be worth throwing out there - prompted by mention of the tabloids. Quite a few people here are questioning whether cobbles are actually that dangerous. Sure, a mechanical at the wrong time will wreck your race, and in weather like today's there's absolutely no mercy to be had, but mostly the cobbles seem to hand out a reasonably fair punishment - if you can ride them you'll normally be okay, if you can't then, well, you won't.

They're certainly an acquired taste though, and they have a mythology all of their own.

ASO might not have thrown them in to generate crashes, but thinking with a tabloid hat on then you'd certainly want to sell the sizzle, regardless of the quality of the sausage. I'm starting to wonder if the big thing about the cobbles isn't that they're dangerous, it's that they're unusual and therefore easy for ASO and the press to hype up. Is it possible we're all just falling for the hype that was used to sell the stage, and - on both sides of the argument - imbuing the cobbles with properties they just don't have?

This is basically what I was trying, badly, to get at earlier. Looking at the last few trips over the cobbles on cq ranking suggests the attrition rate agony very high at all, and GC riders can lose time at any ping
    Yes, yes indeed... you've got to keep an eye on those pings!

( :D )

Edit: aw you fixed it :(
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    adr82 wrote:
    D O G wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Didn't realise Contador had a mechanical issue, it would explain why he was losing time on the non-cobbled sections.

I can't believe that story that his sprockets were blocked with mud. Ridiculous.
    Did sound a bit weird. Why him and nobody else? Stranger things have happened, but...
    11 speed does not like mud, one (And this is not the only) disadvantage of 11 speed is the space between the sprockets is very tight, hence why some cross riders still run 9 speed.

Also I've had mud jam mechs so much before I couldn't change gear at all! We haven't seen a wet Paris Roubaix since 2002 and they certainly weren't running 11 speed back then, that was a fair amount of cack that got kicked up, I suppose it's quite possible
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    adr82 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    I'm the child of tabloid journalists, I see 'it' everywhere. :)

And yes the glee of seeing people get taken out by crashes was too much for me.

One other thing that might be worth throwing out there - prompted by mention of the tabloids. Quite a few people here are questioning whether cobbles are actually that dangerous. Sure, a mechanical at the wrong time will wreck your race, and in weather like today's there's absolutely no mercy to be had, but mostly the cobbles seem to hand out a reasonably fair punishment - if you can ride them you'll normally be okay, if you can't then, well, you won't.

They're certainly an acquired taste though, and they have a mythology all of their own.

ASO might not have thrown them in to generate crashes, but thinking with a tabloid hat on then you'd certainly want to sell the sizzle, regardless of the quality of the sausage. I'm starting to wonder if the big thing about the cobbles isn't that they're dangerous, it's that they're unusual and therefore easy for ASO and the press to hype up. Is it possible we're all just falling for the hype that was used to sell the stage, and - on both sides of the argument - imbuing the cobbles with properties they just don't have?

This is basically what I was trying, badly, to get at earlier. Looking at the last few trips over the cobbles on cq ranking suggests the attrition rate agony very high at all, and GC riders can lose time at any ping
    Yes, yes indeed... you've got to keep an eye on those pings!

( :D )

I'm on my phone struggling with my fat sausage fingers. Have edited :p
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    ThomThom wrote:
    a6ott.gif

(I'm quite proud of that one..)

:lol: Hall of fame.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Paul 8v
    Pross wrote:
    type:epyt wrote:
    Porte deserves huge respect for his ride today. It's ok to say he had GT to hold his hand but their were other GT (too many GT acronyms) leaders with 4 teammates around them getting shelled from several groups. The same groups Porte rode up to and away from.

It'll be interesting to see how the forum reacts to him if he starts to perform like he did at Paris-Nice 2013.

Agreed although I'm still not quite sure where he missed out on the front group. The picture of him on G's wheel when they rode away from the Contador group is superb - might change my avatar.

He had a crash at one point. It's in the Sky report. That's where I think.

I did notice some of his shorts were missing at the end
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    RoyPSB wrote:
    I've read several pages of this thread. There are some right dickheads on here slagging Froome, happy that he's out, not hurt just given up etc. How feckin pathetic you lot are.

Only one person has done that and got attacked by a lot of others but why worry about facts when you can generalise and exaggerate?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2014
    It seems every GC rider went down at one point except Gonzo (who nearly crashed) and Bertie (who looked as nervous as a virgin in a brothel). Maybe Mollema was OK too.

(Which kind of goes with my point about ASO getting lucky.)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    RichN95 wrote:
    When tensions are high, banners are called for

father_ted_down_with_this_sort_of_t.jpg

Needed him roadside today.
  • adr82
    Paul 8v wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    D O G wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Didn't realise Contador had a mechanical issue, it would explain why he was losing time on the non-cobbled sections.

I can't believe that story that his sprockets were blocked with mud. Ridiculous.
    Did sound a bit weird. Why him and nobody else? Stranger things have happened, but...
    11 speed does not like mud, one (And this is not the only) disadvantage of 11 speed is the space between the sprockets is very tight, hence why some cross riders still run 9 speed.

Also I've had mud jam mechs so much before I couldn't change gear at all! We haven't seen a wet Paris Roubaix since 2002 and they certainly weren't running 11 speed back then, that was a fair amount of cack that got kicked up, I suppose it's quite possible
    I'm sure it's possible, but surely he can't have been the only one with an 11-speed out there! It just seems a bit unlikely that out of almost 200 riders he's the only one that gets affected. Not saying it didn't happen, not saying it's impossible, just that it "feels" unlikely :)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Mikkel Condé v2.0 ‏@mrconde · 1h
    Comment of the day goes to @jakob_fuglsang: "Had I only known it was this easy, I wouldn't have been so nervous this morning" :-) #TDF

:lol:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Only one rider was a dnf though.
    Mañana
  • Pross
    RichN95 wrote:
    It seems every GC rider went down at one point except Gonzo (who nearly crashed) and Bertie (who looked as nervous as a virgin in a brothel). Maybe Mollema was OK too.

(Which kind of goes with my point about ASO getting lucky.)

Goes to show that the safest way to ride them is to go hard :wink:
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Macaloon wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    a6ott.gif

That is quite funny, it really has a look of someone saying 'F*ck it, I'm out of here!'
  • tailwindhome
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Macaloon wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    a6ott.gif

That is quite funny, it really has a look of someone saying 'F*ck it, I'm out of here!'

It also gave us wittiest post of the thread, Lotto rollover! :lol: to whoever it was, I can't be bothered to look back through nearly 80 pages.
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    Only just watched the stage and what a stage it was. Mixed feelings though, loosing Froome was a big price to pay, yes today was fantastic but I can't help feeling we've been robed of even more exitment with full on balls out climbing fights between him and Contador.

If contador is still anywhere near his early season form then Nibali's two and a half minuets isn't going to be enough, he doesn't even need a crushing stage win, with so many MTF's he just needs to take 30 seconds here 40 second there.

Wrong thread I know but my Genie senario would have been Froome loosing the same amount as Contador, then working together in the mountians to reel in Niabli before resuming what should have been the best Tour fight for years :(
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Paul 8v wrote:

I did notice some of his shorts were missing at the end

But you're supposed to have bits missing at the end of your shorts - that's the bits you stick your leg through...

(I'll fetch my rain cape, shall I?)
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited July 2014
    UncleMonty wrote:
    If contador is still anywhere near his early season form then Nibali's two and a half minuets isn't going to be enough, he doesn't even need a crushing stage win, with so many MTF's he just needs to take 30 seconds here 40 second there.

Auch, I think that's easier said than done. We don't see these margins that often anymore. I think the 2:30 down to Contador is somewhat perfect and bodes well for the upcoming stages.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    UncleMonty wrote:
    Wrong thread I know but my Genie senario would have been Froome loosing the same amount as Contador, then working together in the mountians to reel in Niabli before resuming what should have been the best Tour fight for years :(
    I think it may have benefited from another GC rider being up there with Gonzo* (Fuglsang admittedly, but he's on the same team). A VDB or Mollema type - steady guys rather than attackers.

*I'm determined to make Gonzo stick as a nickname
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • The_Boy
    RichN95 wrote:
    UncleMonty wrote:
    I think it may have benefited from another GC rider being up there with Gonzo* (Fuglsang admittedly, but he's on the same team). A VDB or Mollema type - steady guys rather than attackers.

Better than nibbles, I guess
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    ThomThom wrote:
    UncleMonty wrote:

Auch, I think that's easier said than done. We don't see these margins that often anymore. I think the 2:30 down to Contador is somewhat perfect and bodes well for the upcoming stages.

Without the TT, maybe.

I really like that Fuglsang and Nibbly can tag team him though. Especially in the early mountain stages he can't afford to let Fuglsang go.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Paul 8v
    adr82 wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    D O G wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

I'm sure it's possible, but surely he can't have been the only one with an 11-speed out there! It just seems a bit unlikely that out of almost 200 riders he's the only one that gets affected. Not saying it didn't happen, not saying it's impossible, just that it "feels" unlikely :)
    I might have to give it another looka and see if he's spinning out
  • adr82
    RichN95 wrote:
    UncleMonty wrote:

Vigonzo Nibali?
  • tailwindhome
    Did Geraint ride the whole race without falling over?
  • adr82
    As far as I know, yes. Not that it will change many opinions about his bike handling I'm sure...
  • The_Boy
    That's the way these things go though. Froome will always be sketchy going downhill because of his handling earlier in his career, while Cunego will always be on the verge of dropping the peloton whenever the road goes downhill..
  • tailwindhome
    Yogi would have loved that today.
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    ThomThom wrote:
    UncleMonty wrote:

It's a long old race though, the 3rd week will be cricial, as will Astanna's ability to control it for so long.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    adr82 wrote:
    As far as I know, yes. Not that it will change many opinions about his bike handling I'm sure...

Are we suggesting that friction is his kryptonite?