Tour de France Stage 5 Ypres-Arenberg *Spoiler*

1515253545557»

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Both of those pictures are great, very impressed with Nibali.

Strange that Horner has seemed to have just blended in with everyone I don't think I've heard his name once the whole tour
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Not sure if this posted; captures a few crashes to indicate how bad it was

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21815 ... naut_sport
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Was just thinking about this stage.

More I think about it the better Nib's ride becomes.

Think I'm going to have to put it up there with the great tour rides I've seen. Live anyway.
  • Paul 8v
    It was a really great stage to be fair
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Nibs looked uber cool in the conditions, was a good stage to watch if only from my arm chair
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • I haven't watched it yet. Recorded it as I was over there watching it from the roadside. Maybe I need to get it done before the Vuelta starts?
  • Paul 8v
    One of, if not the best stage for me greased. You need to see it!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Think I'm going to have to put it up there with the great tour rides I've seen. Live anyway.
    It certainly was. He definitely gained two minutes plus, rather than others losing it. It was a typical Gonzo performance though. He went in and out of one puddle that would have drowned Quintana.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I haven't watched it yet. Recorded it as I was over there watching it from the roadside. Maybe I need to get it done before the Vuelta starts?

Worth it.
  • Maybe I'll watch it on Saturday afternoon as the Vuelta starts late.

Just no one tell me what happens! :D
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Plus, after knowing how strong Nibs rode the cobbles, his win in Sheffield becomes extra impressive:not just a tactically clever move, but probably also simply the result of stronger legs after a hard stage than any of the others. That first week he rode really gutsy
  • Hate to resurrect this again... just read in a belgian magazine that Nibs identified this as a chance to take time out of the other GC guys on a day none of them were suited to and spent 2 days training with Peter Van Petegem.

I was far more excited about this than I should have been
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Coriander wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Enjoyed the OPQS video for stage 5. Loved how Brian Holm was not going to join in Wilfred Peeters' enthusiasm about Kwaitek's finishing position... he did not look impressed.

Yes, I was also quite moved by the bit at the beginning with Matteo Trentin talking about the poppy on their jerseys. Talking of which, I learnt yesterday that the cornflower is the French equivalent of our poppy, but a Belgian team using the poppy, does that mean it's used in the same way in Belgium? Or is it now a worldwide symbol of the loss and suffering of war?

Indeed they do have the poppy. November 11th is a bank holiday too
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Hate to resurrect this again... just read in a belgian magazine that Nibs identified this as a chance to take time out of the other GC guys on a day none of them were suited to and spent 2 days training with Peter Van Petegem.

Obviously some sort of connection with Astana then?

wximg_0007_600.jpg

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contado ... em-on-pave
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Lapage is a good mate of Van Petegem and arranged for him to help Contador. He stayed more loyal to Astana than Lapage and Bertie it seems
  • FJS wrote:
    Lapage is a good mate of Van Petegem and arranged for him to help Contador. He stayed more loyal to Astana than Lapage and Bertie it seems

There's an astana van and car that I always see parked on a farm near Horebeke too. Maybe a staff member

@gietvangent