Tour de France Stage 5 Ypres-Arenberg *Spoiler*

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mrpowly
    mrpowly Posts: 16
    I'd never noticed how much Contador looks like Barack Obama.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    If I'm reading correctly it was as much Froomes injury from yesterday that was causing him to crash and not just the stage itself. It may well have been the case he ended up retiring today sans pave...
    Mañana
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    pb21 wrote:
    If I'm reading correctly it was as much Froomes injury from yesterday that was causing him to crash and not just the stage itself. It may well have been the case he ended up retiring today sans pave...

Wasn't he out before they even reached the first cobbles? If so, he did retire regardless.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    For a little guy, not in great form, Porte did well today.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    mfin wrote:
    pb21 wrote:

Wasn't he out before they even reached the first cobbles? If so, he did retire regardless.
    Yes, some distance before
  • mfin
    adr82 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    pb21 wrote:

Yes, some distance before

Well in that case "it may well have been the case he ended up retiring today sans pave" doesn't make too much sense, or am I having a thick moment?
  • pb21
    mfin wrote:
    pb21 wrote:

Wasn't he out before they even reached the first cobbles?

I believe so, but it could be argued that the racing was on to get to them at the front, but if it was his injured wrist preventing him from riding properly he could have crashed at any point.
    Mañana
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Nibali and Porte have had less racing (or at least at the front end) than Contador or Valverde and I think that will be the difference.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • pb21
    edited July 2014
    The only dnf was Froome, suggesting it was his wrist as much as anything...
    Mañana
  • mfin
    pb21 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    pb21 wrote:

Wasn't he out before they even reached the first cobbles?

I believe so, but it could be argued that the racing was on to get to them at the front, but if it was his injured wrist preventing him from riding properly he could have crashed at any point.

Naaa. Plenty of people went down, it was just down to the wet roads, he wasn't pushing it any more than anyone else. His injury was so bad he couldn't cope with riding wet roads and 'catch' his bike so well if it twitched, that's about all that can be claimed.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    The big winners today were Kwia, VdB and Nibs. And Porte, although I think he will be found out in the mountains.

Unbelievably, Nibs is now the bookies' favourite!
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Already posted
  • Looking at the anguish on Froomey's face underlines how cowardly and feeble people are to rejoice in his withdrawal. As a relative newcomer to following cycling, I was attracted by the culture of respect that surrounds the sport, especially on this forum. Gleefully gloating at him is beneath contempt. Since the banstick was mentioned up thread,I'm wondering how low the insult bar is to get banned?
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    edited July 2014
    Managed to watch all but the last 12km as I had to deliver a presentation at 4pm. Gutted to miss the end.

Nicely poised, a seemingly in form Contador losing time to the seemingly out of form Nibali. Would have loved it even more had Froome been there with Contador losing the time together. Would have made it extra exciting for the rest of the race.

As it is everyone has to work blooming hard to get back on touch with Nibali. A big day in the mountains and a dominant TT could soon bring it round in Contador's favour, but you'd have to back Nibali to defend the lead he has (if his current racing translates in to mountain form).

With regards to Froome. The way I saw it the second (or was it third) crash today caused more damage to his wrist. He seemed to be holding the wrist that didn't have the brown support on and looked to know straight away that he'd damaged it enough. Interesting to see of today's falls were down to yesterday's injury and not being able to control the bike enough.
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    I'm interested to here Sagan say he made a "mistake." Was there an actual mistake or is he just covering himself?

I would guess he's referring to not following Boom when he attacked across to join the Astana guys and instead sticking with Cance. It didn't look like a particularly hard move to follow, but it's hard to judge how tired he actually was.

Regarding Kwiatkowski's bad luck in the finale, that's what actually caused the decisive split. He was right behind the Astana guys when he had a mechanical and him slowing up around a cobbled bend stalled the back of the group making the gap.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    Looking at the anguish on Froomey's face underlines how cowardly and feeble people are to rejoice in his withdrawal. As a relative newcomer to following cycling, I was attracted by the culture of respect that surrounds the sport, especially on this forum. Gleefully gloating at him is beneath contempt. Since the banstick was mentioned up thread,I'm wondering how low the insult bar is to get banned?

What are you talking about?

Here's me thinking that this was a pretty epic thread, in terms of the intelligent, insightful and objective banter.
    Sure, there are a few out of sync posts, but that is to be expected in something of biblical proportions.
    Overall, it's great.

If you want to experience real hate, glee from his misfortune and childish mocking, visit the CN race thread.
    They live for it.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    @chrisfroome 13s
    Devastated to have to withdraw from this years TDF. Injured wrist and tough conditions made controlling my bike near to impossible.

So definitely sounds like it was yesterday's crash and injuries that caused his problems today. On that basis the only GC riders to miss out due to the pave were those who just weren't able to ride them well enough rather than anyone crashing or having a major mechanical.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Epic stage to follow purely through the comments - really appreciated it.

As for the ethics of putting a cobbled stage in the middle of a GT, I don't think the intention of the organisers was to create an orgy of crashes, but to allow a different sort of rider to float to the top and to insert some interesting gaps into the whole classification. Job done, I reckon - even if few of us would have expected Nibs to float higher than most.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Whilst I've wanted someone other than Froome to win it this year, mainly because although I admire SDB and his success I don't like their tactics, I think some of the anti-Froome laughing posts are pretty low. Show a bit more class, Contador has, and I suspect he is disappointed that CF is out now. He had a good chance of beating him fair and square this year.
  • adr82
    Looking at the anguish on Froomey's face underlines how cowardly and feeble people are to rejoice in his withdrawal. As a relative newcomer to following cycling, I was attracted by the culture of respect that surrounds the sport, especially on this forum. Gleefully gloating at him is beneath contempt. Since the banstick was mentioned up thread,I'm wondering how low the insult bar is to get banned?

this
    and this
    and this
    All coincidentally from the same person.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited July 2014
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    adr82 wrote:

this
    and this
    and this

And?

I can't stand him. I am glad he's out of the Tour. I posted so.

At least I am honest and consistent - unlike some of you with your crocodile tears. Pathetic.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    mm1 wrote:
    47kph 27+ mph!!!
    Try 29+ MPH!

You're right, typing error! Tail wind or not, that's awesome. Higlights on now so watching it again.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    TMR wrote:

And?

At least I am honest and consistent - unlike some of you with your crocodile tears. Pathetic.

I dislike Cavendish, but I would never ever want him to crash out of a race. It's a rubbish way to end a race and no one deserves it. Certainly not something to relish.

Phil S of this parish spoke to a Sky mechanic who said Froome had a broken wrist.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • adr82
    TMR wrote:
    adr82 wrote:

this
    and this
    and this

And?

Someone asked who had been doing the gloating. I pointed out it was you. Shush.
  • iainf72
    I'm with Tony

Tony Martin: "I would like these kind of stages not to feature in the Tour. If you want cobblestones, go to Roubaix or Flanders".
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    iainf72 wrote:
    Phil S of this parish spoke to a Sky mechanic who said Froome had a broken wrist.

I posted earlier I wouldn't wish him hurt. Or am I going to be slagged off for that as well now?
  • iainf72
    TMR wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

I posted earlier I wouldn't wish him hurt. Or am I going to be slagged off for that as well now?

did you see him abandon? Pretty obvious he was hurt.
  • adr82
    TMR wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

TMR wrote:
    Excellent! Froome Dog down again! :)
    Can you feel the concern everyone?