• Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Every BSE rider finished. Phew!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Still buzzing over a bloody cycling race. Pathethic.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    adr82 wrote:
    pb21 wrote:
    I've never watched cycling for the 'hardmen'. For me it is a different type of sport.

Cycling is one of the hardest hard man sports there is IMO, even the 10 mile TTs on dry days.

I think it depends on how you define hardmen. I don't define it as testosterone fueled macho aggression and enjoyment of people falling off. That's what was on display a lot on here today.
    I think it was more "excitement" than "aggression". If this'd been a typical flat dry road stage nothing would have happened until the last 10-20k. Today there were things happening all day long, and it was great viewing because of it. Sure there were lots of crashes, but nobody has been seriously injured (as far as I know anyway). On wet (or even dry) mountain descents there's far more scope for serious injury. The weather made today what it was, and nobody could have planned that.

This. I only saw one poster appear to celebrate a crash. I know we didn't see what was happening at the back of the race but there didn't seem to be many more crashes than there have been on the previous 4 stages to be honest and most of those I saw were on tarmac which would have happened on any stage as wet as this. Imagine 190 odd riders coming into a town at the end of a sprint stage with tight bends in those conditions. Sprint trains fighting for position, GC contenders teams fighting to stay at the front - it could have been far worse potentially. Likewise a stage like last Sunday or Saturday with narrow, twisty descents. Wet weather always throws up crashes.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    BsHRyd7IMAAMLZx.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    le-tour-france-2014-stage-20140709-131556-243.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    le-tour-france-2014-stage-20140709-131556-243.jpg

Must be a mountain lion.....
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Not really the thread to discuss wiggins is it?

There used to be one called 'Froome on Wiggins and more' but someone called Rick Chasey locked it
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Ultimately, if Sky had taken Wiggins, it would have given them another card to play. Given the route, it seemed likely that a plan B might have been more advisable than usual...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991

is that the old Dogma?
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    What.A.Stage
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Crozza wrote:

is that the old Dogma?

I think its the one they use for the cobbles.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    Nibali:
    "I'm going to get a very good rest now. It was an unbelieveable day today. I took a lot of risks and there was a moment I nearly fell off.

"I feel our tactics were spot on sending Westra in the break. He was very strong, Fuglsang was very good as well."

"It's been a great day for me today, definitely. I need ot try to not take too many risks from now on. Alberto will be gunning for me from now on, for sure."

Sagan:
    "It's good I took some points from the other sprinters. I"m a little bit disappointed, because I was dropped from Astana and Boom. It was my mistake. I'm happy I didn't crash."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Jez mon wrote:
    Ultimately, if Sky had taken Wiggins, it would have given them another card to play. Given the route, it seemed likely that a plan B might have been more advisable than usual...

Wiggins fan that I am, they have their plan B in Porte and you can't really plan around all the possible things that could go wrong. There's no other team that would have been in a better position had their number 1 rider had to withdraw. I still think Wiggins could have done a very good support job but with the lack of TT miles and amount of climbing Porte (if back in form) is the better backup.

Personally I would have liked to see G get a chance to ride for the stage but ultimately they still have a rider in with a chance of a podium finish and needed him in support.
  • tailwindhome
    Pross wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

Wiggins fan that I am, they have their plan B in Porte .

iain_forfar @iain_forfar · 28m

"Where is sky's plan b without wiggins?" -"8th" - "oh"
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross wrote:
    Personally I would have liked to see G get a chance to ride for the stage but ultimately they still have a rider in with a chance of a podium finish and needed him in support.
    He may get a chance to see how he goes as a GC rider (currently 14th). After all Sky are going to be following, not leading.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Pross wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

Wiggins fan that I am, they have their plan B in Porte and you can't really plan around all the possible things that could go wrong. There's no other team that would have been in a better position had their number 1 rider had to withdraw. I still think Wiggins could have done a very good support job but with the lack of TT miles and amount of climbing Porte (if back in form) is the better backup.

You can't plan, but it seems this year Froome can't ride a bike... he's gone down 4 times over the past 7 days of racing... maybe he should do a bit of cyclocross in winter to polish off his handling skills... it can seriously hamper his career if he can't stay on his bike
    left the forum March 2023
  • frenchfighter
    Pinot and Bardet did ok at 2mins. Peraud had a mechanical or puncture and lost 3.15mins.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    Did Froome have a re-occurrence of.....wait for it..........here it comes...........BRAZILia?

*practices ban hammer swing*
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    He may get a chance to see how he goes as a GC rider (currently 14th). After all Sky are going to be following, not leading.

Is their anybody left in the peloton who can remember how to ride up a mountain without hanging onto the Skytrain?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • frenchfighter
    KEUKELEIRE Jens 6th. Young lad. Caused Froome's crash yesterday.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Could have been higher had they not pulled him back. I wonder if he'll be given a free role going forward? The way he rode on Sunday the Vosges could suit him but still can't see him coping with the bigger mountains. TT might suit him being quite short.
  • Jez mon wrote:

Ah, but that's just hindsight in action. Predictions of cobbles are, after all, not predictions of slippery cobbles (or tarmac), and this was only one stage, and the crash-risk is inherent in cycling, and if your plan B negates your plan A negates your plan B, you're sort of f cked from the start, aren't you?
    1968, human content on bitumen.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Could have been higher had they not pulled him back. I wonder if he'll be given a free role going forward? The way he rode on Sunday the Vosges could suit him but still can't see him coping with the bigger mountains. TT might suit him being quite short.

Isn't the TT 54km?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I'm not saying he's going to challenge the podium or anything, but he has aspirations in that direction so this a chance to prove he has what it takes.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

You can't plan, but it seems this year Froome can't ride a bike... he's gone down 4 times over the past 7 days of racing... maybe he should do a bit of cyclocross in winter to polish off his handling skills... it can seriously hamper his career if he can't stay on his bike

All riders go through unlucky phases. Froome's started in Dauphine but I can't recall him having too many problems before that. Nibali crashed a few times at the end of last season, no-one questions his bike handling.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Did Froome have a re-occurrence of.....wait for it..........here it comes...........BRAZILia?

5HjGyDL.gif
  • Pinot and Bardet did ok at 2mins. Peraud had a mechanical or puncture and lost 3.15mins.

bit more than OK - two climbers with little classics riding making time on favourites - 11th and 15th GC after those stages is good

Gallopin must have had a good day too...?
  • frenchfighter
    Pinot and Bardet did ok at 2mins. Peraud had a mechanical or puncture and lost 3.15mins.

bit more than OK - two climbers with little classics riding making time on favourites - 11th and 15th GC after those stages is good

Gallopin must have had a good day too...?

Yes, 30secs or so ahead of those.
    Contador is the Greatest