Tour de France Stage 5 Ypres-Arenberg *Spoiler*

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    TMR wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Phil S of this parish spoke to a Sky mechanic who said Froome had a broken wrist.

I posted earlier I wouldn't wish him hurt. Or am I going to be slagged off for that as well now?
    You said you were glad he was out of the race. He's only out of the race because he's hurt. Ergo, you are glad he is hurt.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    iainf72 wrote:
    TMR wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Phil S of this parish spoke to a Sky mechanic who said Froome had a broken wrist.

I posted earlier I wouldn't wish him hurt. Or am I going to be slagged off for that as well now?

did you see him abandon? Pretty obvious he was hurt.

No, I didn't see him abandon. I was listening to the coverage. But that's irrelevant. I didn't cause him to ride like a donkey and fall off 50 billion times. That's down to him.
  • TMR
    RichN95 wrote:
    TMR wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

You said you were glad he was out of the race. He's only out of the race because he's hurt. Ergo, you are glad he is hurt.

I don't accept that naturally follows.

*Edit*

I'm not glad he's hurt, but I'm not shedding any tears about it either. It's racing. He held his fate in his own hands - a lot of riders managed to complete without taking a tumble today.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    TMR wrote:

No, I didn't see him abandon. I was listening to the coverage. But that's irrelevant. I didn't cause him to ride like a donkey and fall off 50 billion times. That's down to him.

So he got knocked off by someone yesterday. Not his fault and he was "gracious" about it not blaming anyone.

He fell today, and fell again. But people were falling like dominos at the time. Kittel, Kristoff, Degenkolb etc etc.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    TMR wrote:
    Direct your teen angst elsewhere.
    I'm not the one hating people who are doing nothing more than entertaining us.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    iainf72 wrote:
    I'm with Tony

Tony Martin: "I would like these kind of stages not to feature in the Tour. If you want cobblestones, go to Roubaix or Flanders".

It's strange Martin is so afraid of these things considering he's the type of rider who should be loving them. He never fancied them and, by the sound of it, never will. Shame.
  • TMR
    RichN95 wrote:
    TMR wrote:
    Direct your teen angst elsewhere.
    I'm not the one hating people who are doing nothing more than entertaining us.

You're looking for an argument because you don't like what I've posted. We disagree - get over it.
  • iainf72
    Just had a look at Digger.

Christ, he really need some help.
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    Great stage that. Had to watch the last 40k 90 minutes after 'live'.

I like these stages and reckon the tour is better for them. Not because of the crashes etc as they happen in many of the wet stages especially in normally dry countries as the roads then become real slippery. More because they spread GC out which will force attacking riding in the mountains, and plus they are generally pretty exciting.

Bad luck for Froome. I thought when he crashed that he might be better off dropping back early on and his team keeping him a couple of minutes behind the bunch and accepting a time loss on the stage, but there was no way he could have ridden cobbles with one hand.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    iainf72 wrote:
    TMR wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

+1 on that.
    Did the team car ever drop him off to an ambulance? 10 or 15 minutes later he was still riding in the team car, and still had his helmet on?
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    No need to trash the thread with bickering.

I think the handling skills required, the bottle, and the guaranteed selective nature of the cobbled sections justify the extra random risk element. But it's close. I don't think Froome is out because of cobbles, but it's easy to imagine them completely wrecking GC hopes one year.

Then again I doubt Nibali is sad. He's probably won the Tour: on cobbles. Contador needs a Garmin chaos special on a lumpy stage. Astana's train will stop him getting the 3 mins on MTFs.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Mooro wrote:
    Great stage that. Had to watch the last 40k 90 minutes after 'live'.

I like these stages and reckon the tour is better for them. Not because of the crashes etc as they happen in many of the wet stages especially in normally dry countries as the roads then become real slippery. More because they spread GC out which will force attacking riding in the mountains, and plus they are generally pretty exciting.

Bad luck for Froome. I thought when he crashed that he might be better off dropping back early on and his team keeping him a couple of minutes behind the bunch and accepting a time loss on the stage, but there was no way he could have ridden cobbles with one hand.

I think you're right. Bertie has to come out now to get 2 1/2 mins back on Nibali. Today has thrown the race wide open.
  • iainf72
    Dr Ferrari answered someones question about the crashes on 53x12 - He basically says that because Froome is so thin he doesn't have the resilience to bounce back from crashes. He's commented on the frailty of the new generation of GT riders before.
  • joelsim
    Macaloon wrote:
    No need to trash the thread with bickering.

I think the handling skills required, the bottle, and the guaranteed selective nature of the cobbled sections justify the extra random risk element. But it's close. I don't think Froome is out because of cobbles, but it's easy to imagine them completely wrecking GC hopes one year.

Then again I doubt Nibali is sad. He's probably won the Tour: on cobbles. Contador needs a Garmin chaos special on a lumpy stage. Astana's train will stop him getting the 3 mins on MTFs.

I wouldn't be so sure the way Contador has been riding. Just remember how Horner did him at the Vuelta.

There are plenty more twists and turns in this, although I agree it doesn't seem as mountainous as previous years. Don't rule out VdB or even Kwia either.
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    TMR wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    TMR wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

You obviously didn't see yesterday's stage, Froome's crash and how it came about. Today's crashes and DNF are probably down to yesterday's crash so it isn't fully down to Froome. It's a combination of a couple of things.

I am not a big Cav fan but his crash and departure from this race means it is a poorer contest and I am sorry he is not still in the race and contesting the sprints.

What exactly do you want to derive from watching the Tour if you hope all the riders you dislike depart the race in whatever circumstances? It is a sporting contest and for it to produce a worthy winner, the best riders have to be here and competing.

DD.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    iainf72 wrote:
    Dr Ferrari answered someones question about the crashes on 53x12 - He basically says that because Froome is so thin he doesn't have the resilience to bounce back from crashes. He's commented on the frailty of the new generation of GT riders before.

Are the new generation of GT riders particularly frail compared to Armstrong? I always thought the good Doctor was obsessed with getting weight as low as possible as well as doping of course...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:
    Tyler Hamilton was skinny as any of this lot and he did two Grand Tours with a broken collarbone, coming 2nd and 4th. Of course, he was probably high as a kite on god knows what.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Dr. Ferrari doesn't understand how Mo Farah and Froome have got so thin. It is an interesting top of discussion. Dr. Ferrari certainly tried to get all the athletes he "trained" to be as thin as possible.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    iainf72 wrote:
    I'm with Tony

Tony Martin: "I would like these kind of stages not to feature in the Tour. If you want cobblestones, go to Roubaix or Flanders".

That means you and Tony also think there shouldn't be descents or roundabouts or tarmac. Are you sure you want to be with Tony?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I don't like Froome either, probably because I can imagine him appearing on songs of praise. It's his personality that narks me and a good few people I know. But, as a rider, there's no doubt he's good.

Froome aside, any rider that goes out that's a doper or ex-doper is ok as they have had no respect for the sport they compete in anyway.
  • joelsim
    mfin wrote:
    I don't like Froome either, probably because I can imagine him appearing on songs of praise. It's his personality that narks me and a good few people I know. But, as a rider, there's no doubt he's good.

Froome aside, any rider that goes out that's a doper or ex-doper is ok as they have had no respect for the sport they compete in anyway.

Er, that'll be most of them then. They just haven't been caught yet.

On another note, really pleased for Boom, and I have to admit I do like Fuglsang.
  • mfin
    Joelsim wrote:
    mfin wrote:

On another note, really pleased for Boom, and I have to admit I do like Fuglsang.

Another un-informed bit of cynicism passed off as fact there. Well done.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Watch Geraint's interview on the highlights. "Loved it - `Richie, get on, let's smash this" :D
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • joelsim
    mfin wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Think what you like mate. Time will tell I guess.
  • joelsim
    Looks like Mollema is out of it now. I'll be surprised if he finishes better than about 8th.
  • joelsim
    Macaloon wrote:
    Watch Geraint's interview on the highlights. "Loved it - `Richie, get on, let's smash this" :D

He didn't appear too disappointed about Froomy to be fair. Probably knows that he'll have a bit more freedom to win a stage later on now.
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2014
    mfin wrote:
    I don't like Froome either, probably because I can imagine him appearing on songs of praise.
    Are you Travis Tygart?

(Apparently the thing that most appalled him about Armstrong was that he was an atheist)
  • joelsim
    RichN95 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    I don't like Froome either, probably because I can imagine him appearing on songs of praise.
    Are you Travis Tygart?

(Apparently the think that most appalled him about Armstrong was that he was an atheist)

Oh dear.
  • mfin
    Joelsim wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Think what you like mate. Time will tell I guess.

Reading a couple of Lance related books and duely forming an opinion that they are all on some kind of 'it' is not being informed.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Lance being an atheist is about the only thing I respect the man for.
    Correlation is not causation.