Tour de France Stage 5 Ypres-Arenberg *Spoiler*

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I reckon Astana will be keen to let a benign break go away and take the jersey. Defending for 19 stages is a daunting task.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    RichN95 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    I don't like Froome either, probably because I can imagine him appearing on songs of praise.
    Are you Travis Tygart?

(Apparently the think that most appalled him about Armstrong was that he was an atheist)

Really? Didn't know that. It's a bit different in the USA isn't it! :shock: ...what I meant is that he's dull as a person, he's like a less charismatic Aled Jones to me. I think grannies would like Chris Froome.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Lance being an atheist is about the only thing I respect the man for.

:)
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    mfin wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    I don't like Froome either, probably because I can imagine him appearing on songs of praise. It's his personality that narks me and a good few people I know. But, as a rider, there's no doubt he's good.

Froome aside, any rider that goes out that's a doper or ex-doper is ok as they have had no respect for the sport they compete in anyway.

Er, that'll be most of them then. They just haven't been caught yet.

On another note, really pleased for Boom, and I have to admit I do like Fuglsang.

Another un-informed bit of cynicism passed off as fact there. Well done.

Think what you like mate. Time will tell I guess.

Reading a couple of Lance related books and duely forming an opinion that they are all on some kind of 'it' is not being informed.

As I said fella, think what you like. Time will tell.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    mfin wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    I don't like Froome either, probably because I can imagine him appearing on songs of praise.
    Are you Travis Tygart?

(Apparently the think that most appalled him about Armstrong was that he was an atheist)

Really? Didn't know that. It's a bit different in the USA isn't it! :shock: ...what I meant is that he's dull as a person, he's like a less charismatic Aled Jones to me. I think grannies would like Chris Froome.
    I also read 'can' in your post as 'can't', so what I wrote doesn't make any sense anyway.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Macaloon wrote:
    Watch Geraint's interview on the highlights. "Loved it - `Richie, get on, let's smash this" :D

"Let's smash it and see what happens". Class!

Got to see how hard Talanski was fighting to get on to G and Ritchie on the highlights programme. More than 40 years of loving this sport for me and every year there's something to renew the passion. True intelligence and grinta from Nibali and his team, a proper racer.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Joelsim wrote:
    Looks like Mollema is out of it now. I'll be surprised if he finishes better than about 8th.
    Out of it??? He lost 40 seconds on most of the other contenders for 3rd podium place, a full 16 seconds behind the Van Garderen/Valverde group. The mountains haven't even started. Apart from Nibs and Kwia the gaps were tiny in the end
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    mfin wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    Are you Travis Tygart?

I don't think Aled Jones would feed life bunnies stolen from the kindergarten to a snake... But having said that he did let his snowman melt so maybe you're on to something.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Excellent use of La Roux's 'Let Me Down Gently' on iTV's 'Forlorn Froome' montage.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Good day for the first Dutch stage win in 9 (!!!!!) years, by the way
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Lets get some perspective here...the gaps are quite large but to take back a minute or three over the next two weeks is more than manageable.

Think of it like a mountain stage in terms of differences...if it happened then you wouldn't write them off.

Ask yourself whether you thought Contador would beat the others in this race by 2-4 mins at the beginning of the Tour...im sure many would say yes.

If Contador is anything like he has been all year so far he will dominate everyone. Dominate. From everything I can tell he is even better than earlier this year.

Take a look at the profiles to come. Many opportunities for 30 odd secs a clip and a few opportunities for carnage.

Astana are good but 100% they are not going to boss the hell out of the mountains.

You can be sure that if Contador is still not in yellow by the 2nd to last mountain stage he will attack from multi mountains out.

Lets not forget that based on past performances, of which there are many, Contador will beat Nibali quite well in the TT.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Joelsim wrote:
    Think what you like mate. Time will tell I guess.

OK as you think it's so rife why don't you name some riders, let's say a dozen, who you think are doping who rode today
  • above_the_cows
    FJS wrote:

Hup Holland Hup!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    FJS wrote:

Wow, seriously! For a cycling nation they produce pretty rubbish results.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    mm1 wrote:
    "Let's smash it and see what happens". Class!

Got to see how hard Talanski was fighting to get on to G and Ritchie on the highlights programme. More than 40 years of loving this sport for me and every year there's something to renew the passion. True intelligence and grinta from Nibali and his team, a proper racer.

Talansky was super impressive. Got form for shenanigans. A Saxo/Garmin/Sagan alliance isn't far-fetched to shake up Astana.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Coach H wrote:
    Not really the thread to discuss wiggins is it?

There used to be one called 'Froome on Wiggins and more' but someone called Rick Chasey locked it

Yeah?

Then behave.
  • above_the_cows
    FJS wrote:

Wow, seriously! For a cycling nation they produce pretty rubbish results.

Yeah but tactical genius football managers.
  • joelsim
    FJS wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Looks like Mollema is out of it now. I'll be surprised if he finishes better than about 8th.
    Out of it??? He lost 40 seconds on most of the other contenders for 3rd podium place, a full 16 seconds behind the Van Garderen/Valverde group. The mountains haven't even started. Apart from Nibs and Kwia the gaps were tiny in the end

I just can't see him troubling the best climbers. He's a good climber but not a great climber. I hold Mollema in the same regard as someone like Uran. Good but never going to be a great in a GT.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Who was the Lotto rider that tumbled head over on that corner?
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Its a great shame when any rider has to pack the Tour, never mind a favorit. I like to see a race won by the strongest rider. If all the contenders finish then there are no excuses, you beat the best in a fair fight.

When you win a race the old pro's ask "Who came second". Thats the measure of the race. 8)

I dont need to comment on some posts in this thread, simply to say, get a life sad, sad person. :roll:
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Blimey. What a day.
    Incredible from Astana.
    Disappointing from Cancellara and Sagan.
    Sucks for Froome, but sounds like they were hedging towards Porte even before his crashes today.
    Not good from Bert.
    What a weird day for Belkin; win the stage, but sacrifice Mollema. Worth it? Probably.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762

Lars Bak. It was magnificent.
  • rick_chasey
    FJS wrote:

Now let's win the f*cking football
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Lets get some perspective here...the gaps are quite large but to take back a minute or three over the next two weeks is more than manageable.

Think of it like a mountain stage in terms of differences...if it happened then you wouldn't write them off.

Ask yourself whether you thought Contador would beat the others in this race by 2-4 mins at the beginning of the Tour...im sure many would say yes.

If Contador is anything like he has been all year so far he will dominate everyone. Dominate. From everything I can tell he is even better than earlier this year.

Take a look at the profiles to come. Many opportunities for 30 odd secs a clip and a few opportunities for carnage.

Astana are good but 100% they are not going to boss the hell out of the mountains.

You can be sure that if Contador is still not in yellow by the 2nd to last mountain stage he will attack from multi mountains out.

Lets not forget that based on past performances, of which there are many, Contador will beat Nibali quite well in the TT.

All valid points, however you missed out Nibali's far superior descending which will counteract attacking from several mountains out
  • joelsim
    Turfle wrote:

Lars Bak. It was magnificent.

He ended up Ytting on his arse in a field
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Great stage, cracking viewing.

Fantastic ride from Nibali, he looked comfortable as anybody on the cobbles! Have his mountain climbing legs improved on recent displays? And still a TT to go.

Contador will attack, for sure, can others grab his wheel and benefit?

Tour far from over, should be interesting!

Gutted for Froome. The 2 big British interests gone in the first 5 stages, guess its not our year, but huge chance for Thomas and Porte now, fingers crossed for them.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    edited July 2014
    The only thing I could think when Boom crossed the line was 'Belkin (the sponsor) don't deserve this'.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • rick_chasey
    Joelsim wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

I just can't see him troubling the best climbers. He's a good climber but not a great climber. I hold Mollema in the same regard as someone like Uran. Good but never going to be a great in a GT.

Can TT better than most.
  • above_the_cows
    Turfle wrote:
    What a weird day for Belkin; win the stage, but sacrifice Mollema. Worth it? Probably.

Especially when Belkin are looking for a new sponsor and this is as FJS points out the first Dutch win for 9 years!

Support Mollema for a possible top 10 or go for broke for a stage win in a stage designed to get the media all excited?
  • above_the_cows
    type:epyt wrote:
    The only thing I could think when Boom crossed the line was 'Belkin (the sponsor) don't deserve this'.

Well quite. Maybe it was a ride for a sponsor?