Giro Stage 1 TTT *Spoilers*

1234568»

Comments

• alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    2014-05-09%2018.19.23-1.jpg

270m to go with Svein driving the Orica bus to the finish line.

After the presentation the Canadian guy with the flag (staying in same hotel as us) cheered the OGE guys as they came down the steps at the back of the stage. ST gave him his 3/4 full magnum of bubbles and fan got some photos with him and the team. Nice touch!!!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Ha indeed. Its a lovely bottle with the Giro route om the side...would have kept it as a memento if I was ST!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Durbridge’s weight is currently 78kg and as you can see from the SRM file below he averaged 400.9 watts for the entire 24:42 (21.7 kilometers) with an average heartrate of 173bpm and a cadence was 92rpm. The team’s average speed was 52.7 kilometres per hour.
    Giro-TTT-Durbridge.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Durbridge’s weight is currently 78kg and as you can see from the SRM file below he averaged 400.9 watts for the entire 24:42 (21.7 kilometers) with an average heartrate of 173bpm and a cadence was 92rpm. The team’s average speed was 52.7 kilometres per hour.
    Giro-TTT-Durbridge.jpg

Wonder how close this is to his max for that length of effort, or how much he held back to keep the team together.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    giro1_zps948c30a0.jpg

giro2_zps007ca2dc.jpg

giro3_zps579a6f00.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    r0bh wrote:
    Just riding over a manhole cover in a straight line shouldn't really cause anyone any problems though?
    Well, no, but any kind of steering input or shift in weight could lead to reduced traction when combined with a slippery and slightly uneven surface. And you can add in to that reduced control from being in a TT position on a stiff frameset with high pressure tyres designed to be fast rolling rather than grippy.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    BnOQp0ACUAEyPvV.jpg:large
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Looks like is was a foul day there too...
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    BnOQp0ACUAEyPvV.jpg:large
    That is an absolutely stunning photo.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    One of the rider's crotches appears to have caught fire.
  • hjghg5
    hjghg5 Posts: 97
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    How come Garmin lost so much time? I can only see 4 on the deck - was there a #9 already dropped and a long way back?
    Ryder said the 9th rider was already dropped (Wegmann). He caught up the 4 who'd stayed upright and the 5 non-fallers then rode to the finish.
    We were about 10m from the crash when it happened. Not close enough to see if it was the manhole or a touch of wheels but close enough to see it unfold and run up the road a little to see the aftermath. The 9th rider was a fair way back from the rest at the time of the crash, slowed down a little to see why the team car was pulled up and got yelled at to catch the other 4. I think by that point the 2 less injured of the 4 who had crashed may have been back on their bikes but I guess he was better placed to catch the front 4.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    hjghg5 wrote:
    We were about 10m from the crash when it happened. Not close enough to see if it was the manhole or a touch of wheels but close enough to see it unfold and run up the road a little to see the aftermath. The 9th rider was a fair way back from the rest at the time of the crash, slowed down a little to see why the team car was pulled up and got yelled at to catch the other 4. I think by that point the 2 less injured of the 4 who had crashed may have been back on their bikes but I guess he was better placed to catch the front 4.
    I've since read a quote from Wegmann who said he'd been dropped already because he had a bad stomach and he was in all kinds of trouble trying to stay on the back of the train as the 5th man once he caught them up.
  • frenchfighter
    Spectator video of the crash:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyvCMG2qzWM
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Bnl4aB7CQAAoowQ.jpg

Dan Martin ‏@DanMartin86 · 17m
    Speechless. Thanks kids @Temple_Street made my day. I'll come visit asap. June 7 is @cycle4life_ie #fullsupport pic.twitter.com/oFTlyaGenu

I particularly like the crash analysis bottom right
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!