Giro Stage 1 TTT *Spoilers*

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ThomThom wrote:
    chris juul-jensen ‏@JensenJuul 1h
    Wow...Amazing atmosphere..so many people....Almost got carried away and attacked on the small hills trying to go solo...
    Anyone who hasn't listened to the Cycling Podcast needs to just to hear Chris JJ's accent. It changes between Danish and Irish on a word by word basis.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    Frenchie - Cadel's helmet looked amazing in the flesh. It was really easy to spot who he was and how much work he was doing.

Too often in cycling you struggle to make out who each rider is. In horse racing riders from the same stable have same Colours but different helmets.

Side note. Interesting to see Bernie and Swifty taking it real easy today on both practice runs and the real thing. Conversely Kittel was going hell for leather.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    RichN95 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Wow...Amazing atmosphere..so many people....Almost got carried away and attacked on the small hills trying to go solo...
    Anyone who hasn't listened to the Cycling Podcast needs to just to hear Chris JJ's accent. It changes between Danish and Irish on a word by word basis.

Hah, lived half his life in Ireland if I'm not wrong. I haven't listened to these before. But Chris is usually a safe bet for a good laugh so I should give a go anytime soon.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Cracking day of bike racing. My day was completed by bumping into Alan A during the TTT. Cheers for the nip of Italian Whisky. My wife sends her thanks too!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ThomThom wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

Hah, lived half his life in Ireland if I'm not wrong. I haven't listened to these before. But Chris is usually a safe bet for a good laugh so I should give a go anytime soon.
    Obviously. He didn't pick up the accent watching Father Ted. But it's hilarious to listen to, though. There's something about Danes co-opting accents - Jan Molby, Peter Schmeichel
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RichN95 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

Obviously. He didn't pick up the accent watching Father Ted. But it's hilarious to listen to, though. There's something about Danes co-opting accents - Jan Molby, Peter Schmeichel

It's deffo no exclusive to them (I've picked up and then lost hints of all sorts of accents over the years), but it does seem particularly pronounced in Scandiwegians.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Confirmed broken clavicle for Dan Martin. Koldo Fernandez also has the same, depite finishing! Has abandoned
  • graeme_s-2
    Crampeur wrote:
    Confirmed broken clavicle for Dan Martin. Koldo Fernandez also has the same, depite finishing! Has abandoned
    My wife's a physio and when we saw Koldo ride through the corner we were stood at after the crash (but before we'd heard about Martin) she said "he's broken his collar bone".
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Garmin down to 7 and could be five in the morning, one with concussion.
  • mulletmaster
    mulletmaster Posts: 502
    Really special night made that bit better when a friend managed to blag his way in to erecting scaffolding on stranmillis roundabout so I had an unbelievable view of most of the teams over cooking the corner, largely due to some total t**t waving a Donegal flag in the faces of the riders right on the apex of the corner with none of the 'marshals' seeing a problem with this. Still it made a special night even more entertaining.
    image_zps30bc6162.jpg
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    RichN95 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

Chris JJ mightn't have picked up his accent from Father Ted, but the guy who does the voice-over for the Giro-in-Ireland advert on Eurosport possibly did. He swings between a Northern Ireland accent and a Cork accent and almost pulls it off until his Cornish accent creeps in at the end. :lol: He'd have put the tin hat on it if he had rolled out those traditional Irish sayings we use here on a daily basis; begorrah and top of the morning to ya!

On a more serious note, hopefully Nico, Phil D and Chris JJ can go on to do something good in this Giro after Martin's sickening crash.

DD.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Pross wrote:
    Thought Pirazzi got a ban after last year's Giro?
    No, they changed the points system for the mountains in the Giro (which is much the same as a ban for him)
  • knedlicky
    Pross wrote:
    I can never decide about TTTs … One thing I don't like is having them as an opening stage.
    I'd rather have them at the start of the whole thing than have them shake up the GC halfway through - it always makes me feel like the first portion of racing was a bit of a con and the TTT has reset the clock.
    They are never halfway through; they are always in the first days, so before any teams become depleted.
  • knedlicky
    RonB wrote:
    Went straight over a couple of manhole covers. Probably leant over due to the first then slipped right over on the second.
    maddog 2 wrote:
    marcusjb wrote:
    Just awful luck.
    or poor road quality more like ... Looked like his hand slipped off the bars on a bad manhole cover
    RonB wrote:
    What happened to Dan Martin?
    He was in the middle of the team train … and they went over a couple of manhole covers - he either jarred or slipped on the second one and went down bringing all but the first four of the team with him.
    As SK in commentary suggested, I think the steel manhole had a lot to do with it - he wobbled and then went straight down.
    Like the above posters, Dan Lloyd, in the commentary I was following, mentioned the manhole covers, but I think that might be being kind to Martin.
    In the view from above, as Martin is crossing the ‘culprit’ manhole, he is actually very close to the rider in front, which makes me think he touched the wheel in front.

13961039088_0993d69789_o.jpg

When I later looked at how Eurosport reported it, Sean Kelly’s first thought was that Martin touched a wheel, even if Kelly later remarked on the manholes too.
    The manhole looks correctly flush with the adjacent road surface, and the road surface good (and partially dried out). You can see Martin going down after the manhole.

13960988687_4c94eac96c_o.jpg
  • knedlicky
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Aru is going to be interesting to watch. Dark horse or too early for him (or will he just have to sacrifice himself for Scarponi)?
    He's 100-1 with most bookies which seems like good each way value to me. I can't see Astana backing Scarponi 100% - he'll have his own race to ride.
    I'm not a gambler but quite fancy a tenner on that.
    I’d guess that Landa will be plan B to Scarponi this year, not Aru.
  • mulletmaster
    mulletmaster Posts: 502
    Never thought I would defend our road surfaces but that road is the main road into the city centre and in all honesty pretty good. I doubt there are any majorly sunken manhole covers but will ask a friend who was at the scene.
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    RichN95 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

Chris JJ has got a better Irish accent than Nico Roche!

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    How come Garmin lost so much time? I can only see 4 on the deck - was there a #9 already dropped and a long way back?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    How come Garmin lost so much time? I can only see 4 on the deck - was there a #9 already dropped and a long way back?

They were waiting to see if Martin was getting back on the bike?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    knedlicky wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Aru is going to be interesting to watch. Dark horse or too early for him (or will he just have to sacrifice himself for Scarponi)?
    He's 100-1 with most bookies which seems like good each way value to me. I can't see Astana backing Scarponi 100% - he'll have his own race to ride.
    I'm not a gambler but quite fancy a tenner on that.
    I’d guess that Landa will be plan B to Scarponi this year, not Aru.

Scarponi mentioned Aru not Landa in the presser but Landa certainly is capable of placing well.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Hope he is still in this (not just for selfish PTP reasons either). From Purito this morning…

Joaquim Rodríguez ‏@PuritoRodriguez 15m
    Etapa:1
    Stress:8
    Velocidad:8
    Cansancio:9
    Dificultad:10
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Mad_Malx wrote:

They were waiting to see if Martin was getting back on the bike?

Ah yes. I only watched the youtube clip, where it looks like game over very quickly, but I guess that a lot of the getting up time was clipped .
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    knedlicky wrote:
    Like the above posters, Dan Lloyd, in the commentary I was following, mentioned the manhole covers, but I think that might be being kind to Martin.
    In the view from above, as Martin is crossing the ‘culprit’ manhole, he is actually very close to the rider in front, which makes me think he touched the wheel in front.

When I later looked at how Eurosport reported it, Sean Kelly’s first thought was that Martin touched a wheel, even if Kelly later remarked on the manholes too.
    The manhole looks correctly flush with the adjacent road surface, and the road surface good (and partially dried out). You can see Martin going down after the manhole.
    In the video you can see Martin's rear wheel slide out as he goes over the manhole cover. He may have ended up touching wheels but the cover started it off.
  • graeme_s-2
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Ryder said the 9th rider was already dropped (Wegmann). He caught up the 4 who'd stayed upright and the 5 non-fallers then rode to the finish.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    thegibdog wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:

In the video you can see Martin's rear wheel slide out as he goes over the manhole cover. He may have ended up touching wheels but the cover started it off.
    Just riding over a manhole cover in a straight line shouldn't really cause anyone any problems though?
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    Biggest disappointment of the day... Giro Publicity Caravane.

Given tales of her TdF haul when she was only 13wks old the 4 year old was uber excited about seeing trucks with load music, inflatable people & cyclists, pretty dessed girls in short skirts giving away hats, flags, pastries, sweets, hooters etc etc etc...

What did we get? A dozen pink taxis a couple of smart cars, some transit vans and not a single freebie thrown from them.

NOT EVEN A PINK COLOURED SARACEN OR ARMOURED LAND ROVER !!!
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    RonB wrote:
    Hope he is still in this (not just for selfish PTP reasons either). From Purito this morning…

Joaquim Rodríguez ‏@PuritoRodriguez 15m
    Etapa:1
    Stress:8
    Velocidad:8
    Cansancio:9
    Dificultad:10

He's a fighter so he'll certainly push himself as much as he can.

There's no doubt the injury set him back a bit. If he can just get through the next 6 stages without incident then hopefully he'll feel better going into the first mountain test. He's got a good team around him.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I'm a bit slow to this but I guess we've seen this-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu4AfRBK-M4
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • knedlicky
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Crampeur wrote:
    My wife's a physio and when we saw Koldo ride through the corner we were stood at after the crash (but before we'd heard about Martin) she said "he's broken his collar bone".
    14150460225_c05e236f21_o.jpg

Heavyweight, as FF might say.
    He finished outside the time limit, not that it matters now.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Great photo.
    Contador is the Greatest